As Obama Bakes, Rick Warren Controversy Simmers

Said Frank to ‘Late Edition’ on CNN Sunday: “Mr. Warren compared same-sex couples to incest. I found that deeply offensive and unfair. If he was inviting the Rev. Warren to participate in a forum and to make a speech, that would be a good thing. But being singled out to give the prayer at the inauguration is a high honor. It has traditionally given as a mark of great respect. And, yes, I think it was wrong to single him out for this mark of respect.”

Comments

1. damien says

Barney Frank is probably right about Obama over-estimating his ability to bridge the divide that’s happened in the US… but boy do I hope Frank is wrong about Obama not being able to. After Bush, the last thing we need is another 4-8 years of complete and utter division in our country. I’ll have to at least give it to Obama for trying – even if I don’t agree with his choice of using Warren as a starting point.

As for that Obama photo: It’s nice, but has he stopped smoking yet? Smoker’s are not hot by default :(

2. FASTLAD says

Just about every facet of the Rick Warren controversy is repulsive.

Warrens anti-gay rhetoric is repulsive, Warren’s invitation to give the inaugural invocation is repulsive, Obama’s mealy mouthed explanation of why he made the invitation was repulsive, the removal of the blatantly anti-gay language on the church’s website is repulsive.

This is supposed to represent change or a new era of post partisanship? No, in fact, this is one of the most repulsive and NEEDLESS culture war dumbshows in recent memory.

3. Jeff says

Come on and move on. This is not a big deal unless you make it one and it looks like drama is something that will plague the gay community. Do you know that this will not help in any way getting people to start standing for gay rights on the state and federal level. This will continue the alienation of those we desire to win over.

Barak has said he is for civil unions and that is what we should be going for. And I know we will have many more supporters including the Clintons on our side. With that we will then see the state and federal branches change and begin supporting this.

Isn’t this what we truly want full recognition of our relationships? Does the word marriage really make a difference? Isn’t there enough problems in that institution that we don’t want to join in this continual dysfunction?

4. says

i look forward to seeing the representatives from the Klu Klux Klan at the inaugural… surely barack remembered to invite them to show that he’s open to other opinions and ‘diversity.. right ?

5. Owen says

All I see is an asshole who took our votes and then chose one of the nation’s most vocal homophobes to speak at his inauguration. So what if Obama isn’t a fattie, maybe one day soon gay men will be able to stop thinking with their dicks and become a little more politically active in the face of this current wave of oppression.

6. homochristian says

I’m certainly in the absolute minority, but I support BO and I support his decision to have Rick Warren speak at the Inauguration. You need a church leader for the invocation during the proceedings. Christian Pastors by default will not openly support a gay lifestyle (some, like Ted Haggart, just exercise one) and this guy is no different. Warren sold 30 million books and is arguably the most recognized active Christian pastor in the country right now. As a gay Christian ( I know, an oxymoron) I have had too many fruitless conversations w/ Christians about their inability to accept everyone just as Jesus did. We’re not gonna change their minds. I told my pastor we’ll settle it when he sees me in Heaven.

7. Mark in NYC says

Why are religious figures included at all in the inauguration? They should all be excluded. Separate church and state.

8. clint says

“You need a church leader for the invocation…”, well there are plenty that accept and bless gays, so why weren’t any of those chosen? Any number of Episcopal bishops, or even dont-ask-dont-tell Catholic bishops would have been better than RW. How about some Methodist ministers, or Presbyterians, or Lutheran bishops? Peter Gomes, the official chaplain at Harvard, who’s an American Baptist (and African American too) and would have been a fabulous choice.
    It’s the celebrity of the thing even more than his brand of Christianity that gives me pause about Rick Warren.
    Oh well, there’s still Joseph Lowry, giving the benediction, a progressive Methodist minister and civil rights leader. At least he likes us homos; 1 outta 2 ain’t bad.

9. tofer david says

sadly obama is nothing more than he was when he ran and for anyone to expect any different did not pay attention well enough when he ran.

you reap what you sow my friends.

10. Man Tits says

I like his man boobies. But Barney’s boobies will so out-hang Obhra’s. And yes, I am the 1st to coin the phrase “Obhra.” I know. Brilliant.

11. Foochy says

Ugh — if Coretta Scott King were alive, I think she would take some exception to having Warren play such a prominent role at her husband’s church.

From the article above: “Even though it appears he’s offended the liberals in his statement, Christians have to hold on to their belief system without being offensive. The controversy is countered by Warren’s offer to participate in the MLK event. It shows the seeds Rick Warren has sewn towards reconciliation to bring people together. It’s hard to do that in a divided nation.” Pray tell, how exactly does Warren showing up a AME church suddenly absolve him of his wretched statements regarding homosexuals? Arrrgh!

12. KFLO says

It’s time to let this Rick stuff to go. Everyone knows we hate and do not agree with him, but theres plenty of pro-gay people included in the inauguration too. Probably plenty more than Rick and people who think like him. We don’t see the Jewish community getting angry because Rick is a Christian and he’s allowed to speak.

13. Vance West says

Is anyone planning a protest at Ebenezer in Atlanta? I am certain divinity students from the area will be up for it. Let’s get one organized!

14. snarky says

Miss O looks more like a gym queen than an athlete…wonder why she spends so much time on her pecs??

15. says

“Rick Warren Raises Thousands of Dollars for LGBT Equality at Obama’s Inauguration”

That is what’s up! I’ve started a Rick-A-Thon.

The purpose of the Rick-A-Thon is to turn Rick Warren’s anti-equality stance into positive change for LGBT people. Every second that Warren stands at the podium, he will be raising money to advance LGBT civil rights. We will be holding signs around D.C. tallying how much money Warren is raising for LGBT equality. After the ceremonies we will have signs saying, “Thank you Rick Warren for raising X amount of money for LGBT equality”

16. 24play says

Yo, Tofer,

What’s your buddy Larry “I-blew-my-coke-buddy-Barack-in-the-back-of-a-limo” Sinclair reaping these days?

I heard he got sprung from da pokey. Is Lar living with you? You are his bestest bud, after all.

17. Enlightened says

He is doing the gay community a favor. We don’t want to fill his pulpits or participate in a hateful, pathetic community of religious individuals.

The truth lies in Buddhism. All the answers of the world lie in Buddhism. The way to happiness is found in the teachings of Buddha. All homosexuals should be Buddhists. I am. Plus, it gives you another excuse to participate in yoga. :)

18. david says

Why is he wearing dork shorts? He should be wearing Speedos. He seems like the typical liberal American male who is afraid of wearing Speedos at the beach in case it’s thought of as “gay”.

19. jason says

Obama only believes in gay rights during an election campaign. I told you months ago that he was a phony, but many of you laughed at me. I expect an apology from many of you.

As for the liberal straight Democratic male in general, don’t expect much from him in terms of agitating for gay rights. Their dedication to gay rights usually extends as far as their next orgasm vis a vis “hot lesbians”. They generally think that male-male kissing is repulsive, and often say so behind our backs.

20. Rafael says

Jason, I was an early advocate of the President-elect. I’m as angry as you are, even though we still differ. But this is not the time to be divisive, on the contrary we have to present a united front, that is the only way we will prevail. BTW we do nothing commenting here, we need to mobilize and react to the issue at hand.

21. dan boeye says

He is going to be the President of the United States,At least he can talk with these idiots, we spent the last eight years bitching and moaning about our lousy president, who didn’t even try to understand others points of view, a government closed to large sections of our society. There are bigger problems to solve.
    Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards Men

22. nic says

if i weren’t so pissed at obama for his stupid selection of rick warren for the invocation, i would be drooling over him right now: fit, sexy, handsome, and (almost) always smart.

[good one, CRISPY.]

23. Mr. E says

Enlightened, so you’re a buddhist, good for you. Please spare us your proselytizing. It’s no different. Just substitute christianity with buddhism. See no difference.

24. says

we’re all missing the real issue here:

SHOULDN’T WE BE WORRIED THAT THE PAPARAZZI CAN HIDE IN THE BUSHES AND SNAP PICTURES OF THE PRESIDENT-ELECT?!?!

What if that were more than a camera he/she was pointing? Rick Warren aside, someone isn’t doing their job if the paps can get this shot.

unless it was staged by the Obama camp to show off his man-tits.

25. Derrick from Philly says

“Oh Jason, honey. That’s not why we were laughing at you.”

CRISPY, only Susan Saradon in “Thelma & Louise” could read that sentence the way it should be…next to you, of course.

(I’m still laughing, and I’m Christmas spending broke, honey)

26. patrick nyc says

Good point DAN B.

As for his looks, nothing is more unattractive than a man who backs a bigot.