Michael Phelps | News | Olympics | Swimming

BigGayDeal.com

Michael Phelps Gets Wet But not Undressed for Sports Illustrated

Phelps_2

Phelps was photographed underwater in a tuxedo for the magazine (see behind-the-scenes video), which named him 'Sportsman of the Year'. Apparently with that honor you also get a clunky Photoshop facelift.

You may have missed...
Anderson Cooper Gets in the Pool with Michael Phelps [tr]

(via outsports)

Comments

1. I'm sorry, hot body but boy's face is busted and I can not find him attractive in the least with that mug of his.

Posted by: John M | Dec 2, 2008 12:35:03 PM

2. Yeah, his face wouldn't be the first place I'd lick...

Posted by: JeffRob | Dec 2, 2008 12:59:55 PM

3. I just don't see the attraction to Phelps (swimmer's body or not) at all. Dude is deeply goofy-looking and super-gawky.

Posted by: Dave | Dec 2, 2008 2:16:56 PM

4. What the heck did they do to his face! Bad photoshoping skills. Really, they are running this on their cover? bwahaha

Posted by: Shaun | Dec 2, 2008 2:18:14 PM

5. Thanks, Andy. My watch just stopped.

Posted by: GM | Dec 2, 2008 2:21:47 PM

6. Fine! The kid can swim! He set some records. Great!

He can't sing. Isn't pretty. Can't act. Doesn't dance. Isn't a Rhodes Scholar. Doesn't support any known social or civic causes. Has made no appreciable contribution to this planet, but he can swim. Terrific.

Yawn.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Dec 2, 2008 2:28:25 PM

7. Fine! The kid can swim! He set some records. Great!

Yawn.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Dec 2, 2008 2:29:12 PM

8. Oh, please. I've never been a huge fan of Phelps prior to the Olympics, but he's really grown on me. His quirky looks are so refreshing and I actually think he's extremely handsome now...especially after seeing him being interviewed by Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes Sunday night. The facial scruff he was sporting really turned this awkward looking boy into one very sexy man.

Posted by: Patrick | Dec 2, 2008 2:46:05 PM

9. I know, it's so ridiculous that Sports Illustrated didn't select a more attractive athlete for their Sportsman of the Year pick instead of basing it on actual merit.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 2, 2008 2:49:01 PM

10. slammin' body; butter face.

Posted by: nic | Dec 2, 2008 2:53:48 PM

11. MIKEINSANJOSE-

Please let me know when the criteria for "Sportsman of the Year" from Sports Illustrated include ability to sing, act, or dance.

What a bonehead thing to say.

Also, clearly you didn't read the article that goes with the cover (typical) because then you would have some enlightenment as to all the great things that Michael has done.

This isn't Playgirl, folks. It's Sports Illustrated - and Michael Phelps is the unequivocal athlete of the year - gawky big ears and all.

Posted by: Dan B | Dec 2, 2008 2:55:58 PM

12. Glad you all think he's gross; less competition for me in the stalker department. I think he's adorable, has a hot body, especially now that he's let all the body hair come back, and he does in fact do a lot of outreach to kids and helps raise money for inner-city athletic programs, so can the bitter queens quiet down just a bit?

Posted by: David | Dec 2, 2008 2:57:46 PM

13. What. FUCKING. Ever. I never was a fan of him, not before the Olympics, not during the Olympics, and certainly not after. As talented a swimmer as he is, there is something about him that makes me want to hurl a chair at him. 14 Olympic gold medals does not make you the greatest athlete ever. Prolific, yes, but greatest, no. I'm just sick of the bastard.

Posted by: Alex Sarmiento | Dec 2, 2008 3:13:22 PM

14. u-g-l-y you sure as shit have no alibi

Posted by: Ashley | Dec 2, 2008 3:36:29 PM

15. He's done something that I'm sure noone on this board has managed to do. Let him have his glory. I find his looks very sexy, and I would guess so do a lot of folks out there . Also men aren't supposed to be, "pretty".

Posted by: RockandRoll | Dec 2, 2008 4:01:00 PM

16. MIKEINSANJOSE:

before posting ridiculous comments, make sure you read the article. What he has achieved and done is fantastic....WAY TO GO, MICHAEL!!!!

Posted by: Johnny | Dec 2, 2008 4:58:08 PM

17. I'm also sorry that I can't look past his face. If he would get just ONE thing done - be it his ears or nose or chin - then it would make such a difference! He has the money. I wish he would consider it. Then again, if he's happy with himself none of what I say matters.

Posted by: Marie | Dec 2, 2008 5:23:33 PM

18. It's a bad picture. Gee, that says more about the photographer and magazine's editor than it does about Phelps.

Third, at some point, could we just grow up and realize and realize that not every one looks like a fashion model? Why not recognize the man for his accomplishments as an athlete and as someone who has overcome attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder?

Posted by: noah | Dec 2, 2008 6:23:55 PM

19. best quote i've heard about phelps: "Wet or dry, Phelps has the face of a man who
    should be swimming at the Special Olympics in a pool next to a guy with one leg." -Pophangover.com

Posted by: jenna | Dec 2, 2008 7:45:27 PM

20. People tell me I'm goofy looking. Then I lick their faces and wag my tail.

Posted by: anon | Dec 2, 2008 7:50:38 PM

21. Michael Phelp DOESN'T need to be attractive. Please stop with the repetitive comment about his face. He never wanted to be an actor or a supermodel on a runway. He is a very succesful swimmer

Posted by: Lincoln was ugly | Dec 2, 2008 8:18:43 PM

22. bad art direction, but what do you expect from sports illustrated, trying to be men's journal. there are many photographers that would have hit this shot out of the ballpark.

first off, call rick day (who makes any wannabe model look great)... second, no smile. if this postings image is accurate, the photoshop is an insult to 'average' people, and considering time inc's history, just stupid.

Posted by: my2cents | Dec 2, 2008 8:30:23 PM

23. "Second, why be mean about his looks? He's "goofy-looking"? As if he has any control over his DNA. How many people reading this story have a body as well developed as his?"

Couldn't the same be said about his swimming ability? They guy is a genetic abnormality, his body is built for swimming in some weird genetic twist. Prior to the olympics there are plenty of articles noting his numerous abnormal physical features that make him exceptionally good at swimming, e.g. long arms, huge hands and feet, long torso, short legs, etc.

If we are going to celebrate his genetic advantages at swimming I see nothing wrong with pointing out his genetic shortcomings in appearance, at the end of the day there is no difference except you get olympic gold medals from being an exceptionally good swimmer, not having an exceptionally ugly face, even though it's the same genetics that control both.

Posted by: John M | Dec 2, 2008 9:25:38 PM

24. Oh, come on, people. Michael Phelps has accomplished something very amazing. Let's congratulate him for THAT. He his not tried to come into the spotlight as a model, he has come into the spotlight based on his prowess as a swimmer. For all those who criticize his looks, get over it. You're living in glass houses, you stone throwers. Are you handsomer? Who cares? I find Michael handsome, and refreshingly unprettified by Madison Avenue and unfettered by your double standards of appeal. He's real. Go Michael!

Posted by: Hawthorne Guy | Dec 2, 2008 10:31:20 PM

25. With an income soon to reach 8 or 9 figures, and Phelps' high public profile it is certainly appropriate to ask "What good will come of all that scratch?". If it's just a swimming academy for a handful of inner city kids I'm not too impressed.

Then again, what have high profile tattooed thugs in the NBA done with their big bucks for inner city youth--oops such a P.C. incorrect question!

Posted by: contrarian | Dec 2, 2008 10:43:26 PM