Barack Obama | Inauguration | News | Rick Warren

Rick Warren Staging Gay-Related West Hollywood Photo Ops?

Warrenoutofthecloset

TMZ reports that Rick Warren visited West Hollywood's Out of the Closet thrift store yesterday:

"That's Warren on the right (naturally), his arm around Erol Sarabi, who is openly gay. Warren, who supports the ban on gay marriage which has not sat real well with some Obama supporters, bought 8 to 10 books, two of which were his own (that doesn't help with his Amazon ranking). Warren told Sarabi not to believe everything he reads, that he does a lot for AIDS research and was happy that Out of the Closet does free AIDS testing. Warren also said he met with Melissa Etheridge recently and the two planned to have dinner together -- go figure. By the way, Warren gave a signed copy of his book to Sarabi. The inscription from the Bible, Proverbs 19:21: 'Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.'"

Earlier
Rick Warren Says Gays Use Hate Speech, Have 'Christ-O-Phobia' [tr]
Biden, Etheridge Talk Rick Warren as Calls to Dump Him Continue [tr]
As Obama Bakes, Rick Warren Controversy Simmers [tr]

Comments

1. WoW! I bet some of his best friends are Black or Jewish too!!!

Posted by: alex in Boston | Dec 23, 2008 1:26:12 PM

2. I am SO about to puke.

This si SPIN MEDIA and PR at its worst. Now they are just stuffing it down our throats.

So shallow. So meaningless. And so fucking wrong.

Posted by: Wolf | Dec 23, 2008 1:28:32 PM

3. What is Warren doing there? They don’t carry Junior Moose Bigot sizes at Out of the Closet.

Posted by: ggreen | Dec 23, 2008 1:29:02 PM

4. Free book? What...no donuts?

Posted by: Matthew | Dec 23, 2008 1:30:53 PM

5. ah, etheridge has started a movement, i see... another vapid, attention-desperate gay person who's more than happy embrace the devil.

Posted by: rocketdog | Dec 23, 2008 1:37:39 PM

6. Trolling down to the gay ghetto to snap some quick pics before he turns around and shits on us. Now Etheridge appoved!

Posted by: Ken | Dec 23, 2008 1:38:07 PM

7. Note to self: never date Erol Sarabi.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 23, 2008 1:40:01 PM

8. And I'd have either just handed his book back to him and escorted him from the space, or asked him to sign it, "Dear Faggot," or, if that was too "offensive" to him, "Dear 2nd Class Citizen," or "To one of my best friends who is gay."

And then auctioned it on eBay with the money going to pro-gay causes.

Posted by: tjc | Dec 23, 2008 1:48:07 PM

9. Are we going to have to look at this pig for the next 4-8 years??

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 23, 2008 1:48:27 PM

10. Very best case, President-elect Obama lacks the ability to make good judgements about members of the "clergy." Let's hope that's the extent of the problem.

Posted by: JMD | Dec 23, 2008 1:49:07 PM

11. Ha! I do believe his t-shirt says, "I'm not a gardener, I just like hos." Nice.

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Dec 23, 2008 1:49:20 PM

12. This whole situation was sad and pathetic to begin with but can the Obama camp handle 28 more days of this clown and his lack of integrity or substance? He's a loose canon-what is the next stunt he's going to pull or stupid remark before it's TOO much?
    Are we sure he's not a female to male transexual or Jerry Falwells unknown spawn?

Posted by: SFshawn | Dec 23, 2008 1:56:21 PM

13. The drumbeat on this news blog against ALL people of faith is counter-productive. The USA is not post-religion, secularist W. Europe, whether we like it or not.

Mr. Warren (and other evangelicals to the right of him) represents only a fraction of all Christians. LGBT folks have allies in mainline Prot. churches, and even some activists within the R.C. fold. Militant atheist prattling may win you cheers among the European "chattering class" (and American academia) but alienates most US voters. It's not a winning strategy to change hearts and minds, and more importantly, votes. Don't give Warren an importance he doesn't have outside evangelical circles. The same goes for Pope bashing--great way to alienate the fastest growing voter group, Latinos.

Posted by: Contrarian | Dec 23, 2008 1:56:32 PM

14. Oh sure... that makes things all better.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 23, 2008 1:56:36 PM

15. You know what? I love this, and I think it's why I wasn't THAT peeved when this whole mess started. Rick Warren is the one having to moderate/change/(lie about) his positions in order to be acceptable, not Obama. Obama is the one with the power, and fat Rick knows it.

Posted by: Nick | Dec 23, 2008 1:59:16 PM

16. Fuck the Pope.

Posted by: hank | Dec 23, 2008 2:01:43 PM

17. you've got to be kidding me. when will this shit end?

Posted by: Liz templin | Dec 23, 2008 2:06:12 PM

18. Every time I see his photo I think to myself, "What a big drunk!" He's got the bloat. Off to rehab soon, Rick!

Posted by: Joe | Dec 23, 2008 2:08:00 PM

19. Too little too late, Rick Warren.

Posted by: B.J. | Dec 23, 2008 2:08:32 PM

20. I know it's been said, but let's do it again: the Rick Warren outrage is not because he's religious, not because he's Christian, not because he doesn't agree with us on same-sex marriage being a fundamental right, and certainly not because he's fat. We are rightly outraged that a man who dehumanizes LGBT people for the simple fact of their existence, comparing our relationships to incest, child rape, and bestility. His hodge-podge, ill-informed rhetoric feeds the ignorance and fear that perpetuates the violence and discrimination against our community.

If you're not angry, you're not paying attention. The rest of us are through with the slow death by a thousand cuts.

Posted by: Ken | Dec 23, 2008 2:12:53 PM

21. I'm not a big commenter, but I need to say this. I live in CA and I married my partner of 9 years on Oct. 17th. the day before my 35th birthday. Coming from divorce I was never a big believer in marriage or thought it was that important to me. When I did get married the world opened up to me- Something I never entertained, a deep spiritual connection that was validated and recognized by my government, my friends and family. It was important and it is still. On election night the thrill of Obama was was marred by Prop 8, not so much for what I lost, but we watched the returns in a bar in my hood- the bartender was this 22 year old gay kid who started crying when he realized prop 8 was going to pass. At his age in Los Angeles he lived in a world of acceptance and opportunity that I didn't see growing up in Tampa Florida in the 80s, and he had the rug pulled out from under him. Watching this Rick Warren Fiasco I want to be like Melissa Etheridge and her confused wife, I want to form a bridge with evangelicals, I'd love to pretend that they Love me and welcome me, but they don't. They believe we are sinners and they'd like nothing more than to get us to see the "light". We are not welcome to be a part of salvation just a witness to theirs in hopes it will make us repent and abandon our un- christ like ways. In the spirit of Obama the bridge- maker, and X-mas it would be nice to meet in the middle of the road, but while we're entertaining thoughts of forgiveness and reconciliation, the religious fanatics this fat f#&k is in league with filed motions on the Friday before X-mas to invalidate my marriage and the the marriage of 18,000 other californians. Sorry about the novel, but I had to get this off my chest.

Posted by: mr. McCord | Dec 23, 2008 2:16:34 PM

22. Geez, his PR people really don't know how to handle all this negative attention, do they? I can just envision them in a coffee-and-cigarettes- induced haze, frantically paging through stacks of PR 101 textbooks at 3:00 am, looking for something, anything...

Posted by: Rick In Ohio | Dec 23, 2008 2:20:15 PM

23. Like others have said, this is spin control. Warren is talking out of both sides of his mouth. He is trying to play to his evangelical base and to the gay community even though his messages are contradictory.

So he does a video calling gays and the media, "hateful, evil, and Christo-phobic" but also takes photos hugging gay people.

He wants his evangelical base to think that he is homophobic while simultaneously he wants the gay community to view him as gay affirming.

What a snake oil salesman.

Posted by: Josh | Dec 23, 2008 2:20:34 PM

24. First thought: "What a cute bear/cub couple"
    Second thought: "Wow, that kid could do so much better."
    Third thought: "Would Jesus let Rick hug him?"

Posted by: bozeman | Dec 23, 2008 2:21:57 PM

25. Contrarian, take your bible and stick it where the sun don't shine. You're just another apologist. And the pope is a nazi. His comments as of late shows he's not grown out of his hitler youth days. We are NOT going to get our civil rights handed to us by the voters, period. Getting the whiny baby xtians to accept us is not the goal. This is ultimately a battle for the courts.

Posted by: Mr. E | Dec 23, 2008 2:48:37 PM