California | Gay Marriage | New York | News | San Francisco

BigGayDeal.com

Vigils for Marriage Equality Light Commercial Centers Across Nation

L1

Our reader Wayne Anderson sends these photos from last night's "Light Up the Night for Equality" vigil and march in New York City.

Rex Wockner has a report from San Diego as does blogger Blabbeando. New York blogger Eric Leven was visiting Miami and has a report from that event. LoveNotH8 has a post from San Francisco. Philadelphia's was small but the mood was bright.

L2 L3

Here are news reports from Eureka, CA, Vacaville, CA, Asheville, NY, and Santa Cruz.

Reports are slowly coming in from cities around the country on this wintry weekend across the U.S. I've posted a video by Sean Chapin of the San Francisco event, AFTER THE JUMP...

L4

Comments

1. "The tourists in Times Square are not all straight!" The most hilarious chant I've ever heard. A poster proclaiming Rick Warren a "filthy pig bottom" got me feeling bad for all the Wilburs in the world.

Posted by: dell | Dec 21, 2008 3:59:25 PM

2. There were four events in the LA area and we got great coverage on multiple broadcasts -- especially of the vigil at Hollywood and Highland -- on KCBS, KABC, KNBC, and KTLA, plus radio and newspapers.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 21, 2008 4:11:59 PM

3. I'm still waiting for the answer to my question: WHAT do Impacted Amy and y'all expect these pussy pseudo protests to accomplish when shit like this has ALL been done before, again and again and again and again, FOR DECADES and we STILL do not have federal job protection, marriage equality, federally protected adoption rights, the right to serve openly in the military. And we still keep getting beaten up or killed outright. And Mr. Best Friend the Gays Ever Had just dry fucked us for the SECOND time by inviting a preacher of homohate to publicly pray with him in front of billions of people who will be watching around the world. Those cross-the-country demos on November 15th REALLY put the fear of fags in Obama didn't they?

The Year of "Milk," the Year of H8TE is fast coming to a close and you've learned NOTHING! Not from him, not from the black civil rights movement, not from ACT UP.

REAL social CHANGE, actually DEFEATING entrenched, legally sanctioned bigotry requires DISRUPTING business as usual in society's lives. NOT fucking milling around with a bunch of candles a wishin' and a hopin' that Massa will take pity on all we poor little pansies.

I've begun to think that Amy Impact isn't really a lesbian at all but a Right Wing mole planted in the gay movement just as it SEEMED to be coming out of its willful slumber. She's succeeded in turned "No More Mr. Nice Gay" back into a passive little lamb. Baaaaa. Baaaaaaaa. Baaaaaaaaaaa.

So, tell me, Amy Honey Sweetie Baby: why aren't you organizing demonstrations in DC and across the country on January 20th to protest Obama turning millions of LGBTs into mere "issues about which people can disagree"?

Stonewall 2.0 my flabby ass!

Posted by: Leland Frances | Dec 21, 2008 6:41:48 PM

4. The familiar we are the further we get Leland. We are a helleva lot further than we were 10 or 20 years ago.......and what the hell are you doing btw?

Posted by: Chris | Dec 21, 2008 7:29:09 PM

5. Leland;

You've got an amazing amount of energy about injustice and bigotry towards gay / LGBTQ people. Disrupting business as usual is an excellent goal - particularly if it is done to maximize the effect.

Gandhi and MLK utilized non-violence in a way that ACT-UP did to great effect. Amy, and Jessica, are real people - at least they eat real eggs, and real toast and jelly, and drink coffee. The differences between Amy's approach and yours seems to boil down to strategy. You'd like a more active approach that demonstrates how angry you are feeling. Amy feels this will simply frighten people. LGBTQ people are a small minority in this country and we need allies to avoid being persecuted. The angry approach would also likely turn off many LGBTQ people. She's managed to get people to turn out for rallies, volunteer for LGBTQ supportive non-profits, and move many people into activist roles. Many of these people were not active before Join the Impact.

All the same I hope your energy will be channeled into something that produces results and makes this a safe and welcoming country for LGBTQ people.

Posted by: Dan B | Dec 21, 2008 7:52:49 PM

6. Well as far as Im concerned Gays need to stop being so mother-fucking passive and laid back and start fuckin kickin ass.This is how I eventually came up with my motto "I dont tolerate,I retaliate".But Apparently Im the only true gay that thinks that way,because if that wasnt the case,these little candle vigil shits and all that bullshit wouldnt be going on.It would be getting vicious and evil.Let me ask you something...During the Stonewall riots,do you think lighting up a bunch of candles and walkin around with wooden signs got the New York City gay community as far as it did? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! It got to the point where everybody was tired of the bullshit and started whoopin' ASS!!! Thats what my boyfriend and I had to do one nite walking out of a diner,2 guys were talkin shit and we turned around and started kickin ass,punched,kicked,slapped scratched and body-slammed the sons of bitches.I looked at the pathetic str8 bastards and said "Yea UH-HUH,how does it feel to get beat up by a gay couple?" "You little str8 pussys picked the wrong homos to mess wit tonite".Its time to stop being so fucking passive and let them know who the real pussys are on the streets.

Posted by: DJ | Dec 21, 2008 8:08:10 PM

7. I wish more Q's were thinking AHEAD, as in what actually HAPPENS when rights are denied. If you did think ahead you'd be MUCH more angry, because you'd imagine the devastations possible. Maybe MORE of you will NEED to lose your homes, possessions, businesses, and ability to work; horrific, painful, devastating experiences put a WHOLE NEW SPIN on this little "equality fight". You may find that "slow & steady" and "reaching across the aisle" is bullshit when laws (or lack of laws) profoundly alter your life as you know it.

I personally think we are all IDIOTS if we continue to support and fund the U.S. government when it is obviously VERY, VERY against our beloved families. IDIOTS.

Lives are destroyed EVERY SINGLE DAY while everyone else writes interesting articles (this is not a personal slam against the author above), organizes clever rallies and marches, and rant endlessly. Children are hurt by marriage inequality. Yet it seems more important to have a "winning argument" than to do anything that will bring REAL CHANGE NOW.

Well, I personally have HAD IT, and will encourage anyone who thinks they TRULY deserve better to put your money where your rights SHOULD be, and refuse to acknowledge the I.R.S. on April 15th. I stopped filing in 2005, and NEVER will again until EQUAL.

Everyone ELSE (gay or straight) can pay my fucking taxes from now on. I've had it.

A comment on HuffPost says it best; it COULD be extraordinarily effective AND non-violent....unless you do not think you deserve the same rights as others until the year 2035:

Money is power.
    Withholding money is power too.
    Money speaks.
    Why aren't all of us speaking with our money?

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Dec 22, 2008 2:12:35 AM

8. THIS IS SOME OF THE THINGS WE HAVE TO DO TO HAVE EQUQLITY AND FREEDOM IN THE SO CALLED GRAND USA!!! WHILE IN THE REAL TIME CANADA AND OTHER NON-DISCRIMINATING COUNTRYS ECONOMY DOES BETTER THAN OURS. THEIR LIVES ARE BETTER, AND FAMILYS ARE WHOLE. I CAN'T STAND THIS MUCH LONGER. I AM CONSIDERING MOVING TO CANADA WITH MY ECONOMY BUILDING LABOR AND MONEY AND SAME SEX PARTNER FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY AND LIVE THE AMERICAN DREAM IN CANADA. THEN IT WILL BE CALLED "THE CANADIAN DREAM". I LOVE THE USA BUT WHAT MORE DO WE HAVE TO SAY FOR GOVERNMENT TO LISTEN TO OUR CRIES.

Posted by: duane harrison | Dec 22, 2008 5:54:53 AM

9. NOBODY is stopping ANYBODY from doing more volatile protests. If that's what you think we need, then get off your butt and pull one together. Your criticism has little credibility if you're sitting at home and not in the trenches with us.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 22, 2008 1:30:39 PM