Australia | I'm Not Gay | Ian Thorpe | News | Swimming

BigGayDeal.com

Aussie Swimmer Ian Thorpe: I'm Not Gay

Thorpeian

Former Olympic swimming champ Ian Thorpe today responded to insinuations by the Australian media that Daniel Mendes, another swimmer who has been his housemate for the past three years and traveled extensively with Thorpe, is more than just a friend.

ThorpegaySaid Thorpe today: "Over the last few days there have been a series of press articles published speculating about my friendship with Daniel Mendes. I am still friends with many of the people I competed and trained with during my swimming career. Daniel is one such good friend whom I have known for many years. I have only commented on this issue at this time because I draw a line when innuendo implicates people like my family and my friends. I find this kind of inaccurate speculation tiresome and I am annoyed by the hurt it has caused those closest to me. In the past, on several separate occasions, I have openly and honestly with the media. My situation in this regard has not changed. I look forward to myself and those around me receiving the respect and privacy afforded others."

Previously
Australian Media Focused on Ian Thorpe's Close 'Mate' [tr]
Ian Thorpe is Still Not Gay [tr]
Ian Thorpe: Gay Rumors No Big Deal [tr]

Comments

1. Aw. We still love him though.

Posted by: MT | Jan 29, 2009 8:38:06 AM

2. Wow! Fat, bitter, and in denial are really unattractive.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 29, 2009 8:49:50 AM

3. And why do we care if he's gay or not?

Posted by: shane | Jan 29, 2009 8:52:11 AM

4. When confronted with media speculation that he'd put on weight, Thorpe said he had no comment. And then he helped himself to another Krispy Kreme.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 29, 2009 8:54:09 AM

5. I can see why he's upset though. There's speculation and then there's downright invasion of privacy. My best friend is straight and I'm sure from a distance many could speculate that we're more than just friends. But if you're closer than a camera lens you'd realize we weren't. Straight men can be friends without it being gay. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. If he is closeted, no one wants to be outed like this.

Posted by: B! | Jan 29, 2009 9:04:41 AM

6. @Shane: because gay men only care if hot famous men are gay ("hot" ignoring the typical and not unexpected comments disparaging Thorpe's current physical condition).

Posted by: late | Jan 29, 2009 9:23:23 AM

7. I'm not gay. I'm just fat.

Posted by: S. | Jan 29, 2009 9:33:29 AM

8. Too bad we think its a scandal if the man is or isn't gay. So what. Plus, the guy is still hot even if he's gained some. Everybody doesn't have to be model-perfect.

Posted by: glennmcgahee | Jan 29, 2009 9:39:17 AM

9. Sure. Whatever girl...

Posted by: Mercurys Wings | Jan 29, 2009 9:47:04 AM

10. ...last seen swimming up Denial river.

Posted by: Rad | Jan 29, 2009 9:58:57 AM

11. He's not gay, he just hit the burrito stand. That's all.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 29, 2009 10:09:41 AM

12. WHO CARES????

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jan 29, 2009 10:20:46 AM

13. @GLENNMCGAHEE: I don't know that anyone on here at least is suggesting that Thorpe's sexual orientation one way or the other is scandalous. But I think at least part of the interest in the gay community stems from the very natural pride we would feel that a notable and very accomplished person happens to be gay. In the same way that I am proud of Matthew Mitchum happens to be one of us, I would be proud if Thorpe were. If only because the more of us that other people know and can admire, the easier it is for all of us.

Admittedly, another part of it is that, in his prime, he was smoking hot.

Final thought, did anyone else note that in his "denial," as reported here at least, he doens't actually say he's not gay. He condemns the speculation but doesn't affirmateively say anything else. Denials are always the most insistent right before the final acknowledgement, see for instance Neil Patrick Harris.

Posted by: Hermes in DC | Jan 29, 2009 10:27:21 AM

14. RESPECT MY SECRET GAY LOVER'S PRIVACY, BITCHES!

Posted by: 24play | Jan 29, 2009 10:31:22 AM

15. Thorpie think anything and say anything about me it dont hurt me. I am very happy loving a man. Being gay is not a bad thing, people need to over come this closed minded issue. People need to quit talking about gays like they are an alien for another planet, we are human just like anyone else. Smile and just say I love you for who you are!!!!

Posted by: duane harrison | Jan 29, 2009 10:41:11 AM

16. Why would anyone think that a longtime housemate and traveling companion could be anything more than a friend??!! Now I'm worried that innuendo could implicate me and my boyfr--equent traveling companion and housemate.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 29, 2009 10:59:39 AM

17. He's not gay... but his boyfriend is.

Posted by: Andrew Lewis | Jan 29, 2009 11:11:14 AM

18. Where is the actual denial? I don't see it.

Sometimes people think my str8 friends are also gay--I'm not kidding!--am I that obvious?? However, I don't live with them.

Posted by: anon | Jan 29, 2009 11:25:48 AM

19. Thorpe says: "Some people think it's an insult to say, 'Oh, I think he's gay', but I don't take it that way. I'm not gay. I'm lucky that within myself I don't care enough to get worried or upset over it."

Yeah, he doesn't worry about it or get upset. So why this latest statement?

Posted by: seattle mike | Jan 29, 2009 11:32:30 AM

20. I agree with Ian -- tiresome. Why would we care? Don't get it.

Posted by: KJ | Jan 29, 2009 11:46:02 AM

21. Ugh..all the fat remarks are disgusting. Reminds me of a bunch of 14 year-old girls. Man up bitches.

Posted by: Butterpantz | Jan 29, 2009 11:49:45 AM

22. The real issue is for the people around him, family and friends, who feel hurt by the rumors of his homosexuality. Keanu Reeves always handled this very well by simply responding with "so what?" He said that such speculation should no longer be a thing of scandle, and when one goes around denying it you lend power to it. The "so what" defense hadn't hurt Reeves career and it wouldn't likely hurt Thorpes either. Meanwhile, his friends and family would do well to educate themselves a tad better.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 29, 2009 11:51:31 AM

23. umm..well, maybe he really isn't gay... i am giving him the benefit of the doubt...=)

Posted by: dexter | Jan 29, 2009 12:20:57 PM

24. What's with all the fat-ist comments? So he put on a little weight - can't you queens get over the body fascism, already?

Posted by: Rotunda | Jan 29, 2009 2:51:34 PM

25. What's with all these overeater's anonymous commenters? My shoe is filling with blood.

Anyway, this is as predictable as the tides by now. A story followed by his denial. Who cares is right. But for the love of ring dings, stop with the body shots already! It's scarring small children and disturbing pets. I just puked in my mouth staring at his moobies, imagining their violent jiggling.

Give him some poptarts, a ham, live goat or something to distract him from taking his shirt off in public!

Posted by: TANK | Jan 29, 2009 5:18:45 PM