Arizona | GLAAD | News

GLAAD President Neil Giuliano Resigns

Neil Giuliano, who served as President of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) since September 2005, announced his resignation today:

Giuliano"I have informed the national board of directors of my decision to step down as president later this year and look forward to a successful and smooth transition of leadership for GLAAD. It's been an honor and privilege to work professionally in the movement for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) equality for the last three and a half years. The views of the American people on LGBT issues are clearly moving in the right direction, toward supporting full equality, and it has been a great experience to serve on the front lines, leading an amazing organization at such a historical time in the movement."

Giuliano said he was stepping down to pursue "personal interests while completing his forthcoming book about his public and political life." Giuliano served as the mayor of Tempe, Arizona for ten years prior to joining GLAAD. Giuliano will continue as President until a replacement is named later this year. GLAAD's Co-Chair Laurie Perper said the board will address the transition and begin its search process at its board meeting in early February.

Comments

1. Whoever succeeds him has got a hell of a job ahead of him/her trying to restore GLAAD's credibility and relevance...

Posted by: David B. | Jan 28, 2009 5:26:42 PM

2. Another Gay Republican bites the dust.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jan 28, 2009 5:38:44 PM

3. I don't see any of you doing anything to better our community. He has.

I just see from what I see on here are some bitchy, catty queens complaining about how BAD they have and not doing a damn thing about it.

Pathetic!

Posted by: Al | Jan 28, 2009 5:58:38 PM

4. But they did such a great job fighting Prop 8!

Posted by: Aaron | Jan 28, 2009 5:59:13 PM

5. Thank goodness. He was all about appearances and never about the work, and treated his staff like second class citizens. GLAAD is much better off.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 28, 2009 6:10:53 PM

6. Al - I can kind of see both sides of the coin. Everyone should do their part as they see fit. And Neil Giuliano did just that. But of late, it seems that GLAAD has increasingly become an organization planning an awards ceremony year-round. Is that all his fault? No, but like any leader, he will take blame - fair and unfair - for what happened during his tenure. Here's hoping that whomever takes over is effective and helps bring LGBT issues to a positive forefront.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 28, 2009 6:17:56 PM

7. I worked for GLAAD for a few years. Neil was aloof. He did not have a great rapport with the staff. GLAAD is better off without him.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 28, 2009 6:18:38 PM

8. Wow, well maybe he'll move back to Tempe, they loved him there,and, maybe he can run for office as a GOP'er to help teach some tolerance to Arizona.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 28, 2009 7:04:11 PM

9. Will he still be attending one of GLAAD's 16 award show?

Posted by: Mike | Jan 28, 2009 7:11:18 PM

10. Mike, GLAAD has only 4 four award shows (LA, NYC, San Fran, Miami). And they generate (or at least used to) a large percentage of GLAAD's annual budget. No one can fault them for trying to make money to run the org.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 28, 2009 7:25:45 PM

11. Al,I totally agree.Ive been saying that same thing myself,but of course these water-retaining queens cop their little attitude about it cuz they know its the truth and they dont like to be called out on it.Fuckin' Morons!

Posted by: DJ | Jan 28, 2009 7:34:59 PM

12. I wish people on BOTH sides will start being a little more respectful toward each other. I, for one, am a little tired of people bitching and calling people "this-and-that queens." Grow up people, please. It's OK to disagree but let's drop the incessant name-calling.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jan 28, 2009 7:50:26 PM

13. The guy's a hack, plain and simple. Glaad he's going back into the AZ cesspool where he belongs.

Posted by: Joe | Jan 28, 2009 8:00:37 PM

14. I worked for GLAAD for a while and I can tell you all from experience that Neil was a terrible president who has absolutely destroyed GLAAD in every possible way. No one will be sad to see him return to Tempe where he belongs

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 28, 2009 8:14:58 PM

15. re: Aaron's snark about GLAAD and Prop 8. I'm no fan of Giuliano, but GLAAD has nothing to do with fighting ballot initiatives. Their mission is to fight for "fair, accurate and inclusive portrayals of [gay] people and events in the media." Whether or not they failed in responding to the advertising lies perpretrated by the Yes on 8 campaign is a reasonable question. But fighting Prop 8 wasn't what they're designed to do.

Posted by: MRROBOTO | Jan 28, 2009 8:54:31 PM

16. Is he really a Republican?

Posted by: Jeff NYC | Jan 28, 2009 9:17:16 PM

17. "fighting on the front lines" my flabby old ass!

I will say this: he did not destroy GLAAD...his predecessor, Joan Garry, did.

It was once both a respected and FEARED organization in Follywood, but she castrated it, turning it into a paper tiger. I guess that's what happens after you sell your soul to the Antigay Industry-funding COORSascists.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Jan 28, 2009 9:21:19 PM

18. While GLAAD didn't have a primary role in the No no Prop 8 campaign, Neil repeatedly claimed that GLAAD provided the media training to the plaintiffs in the suit the legalized marriage in CA. I have to wonder where all the media savvy was when the campaign went off the rails. Was GLAAD not invited to the table, because all the consultants were straight, or did the organization not see it as their issue? I'm not sure. I personally think that GLAAD sucks up a ton of resources for very little return; a opinion that seems to be increasingly shared.

Posted by: Movement Guy | Jan 28, 2009 9:31:58 PM

19. As a former long-time GLAAD volunteer, I can tell you that their awards shows are VERY important in changing the culture. They reward positive images in a very visible way. Yes, they are fluffy and all that, but I have no doubt that they have changed the media in a significant and favorable way; and changing the media (both news and entertainment) changes minds and changes the world.

The award shows do double-duty by also managing to keep the organization going financially. They are a brilliant device, if you ask me.

I interacted with Joan Garry several times; I thought she was super-articulate and persuasive, and had extremely good interpersonal skills. I never met Neil Giuliano, but I thought his public statements and responses were excellent.

It's not easy to run an organization with such high stakes, and such profound, deep-seated emotion behind what it's attempting to do. I have a feeling that no matter who leads GLAAD there will be people on blogs (such as this one) who will choose to release their rage in the direction of the leader of GLAAD (or HRC or NGLTF, etc.), as if this person were personally accountable for the continued existence of homophobia and discrimination in the world.

As far as GLAAD's impact, well, it's never going to be possible to measure it, or calculate a return on investment. And yet it's there. Younger generations are so much more gay-friendly than older generations. The media -- with some prompting and shaping from GLAAD -- has been a major part in making that happen.

Also, if I may vent myself, there are two things that I think are NOT helpful:

(1) Bitching and moaning without actual, specific suggestions for a better way to do things;

(2) Monday-morning quarterbacking. Like, if you thought the No on 8 campaign wasn't doing something "right," or was headed for a loss, did you intervene in some way? Did you a write a letter, to anyone, for example?

It's very easy to bitch, moan, and Monday-morning quarterback. It's less easy to be active, proactive, creative, productive, useful, and smart. But those are better things to do.

Posted by: Pause | Jan 28, 2009 10:38:09 PM

20. Well put, PAUSE. I have been involved with GLAAD for ten years. I know Joan and Neil. As with any nonprofit GLAAD is imperfect but both Joan and Neil worked long and hard and accomplished a lot toward fulfilling the mission of the organization. Rather than bitch and moan about what you don't like, lead, follow or get out of the way. Pointless sniping is symptomatic of (one faction of) the gay community's inability to unite more powerfully and crush Prop 8.

Posted by: K | Jan 28, 2009 11:09:14 PM

21. Having worked with GLAAD as an intern and having known many of the employees there before it became a hr revolving door under Neil's leadership I heard that he treated the staff very poorly. He refused to address some, while completely ignored others - that is however unless they were young and cute gay males. Many of the die-hard employees were let go or left out of frustration to go on to greener pastures. Hopefully the organization will be able to regain its' credibility after his departure! Good riddance!

Posted by: JJ | Jan 28, 2009 11:45:31 PM

22. I lived in Tempe when Mr. Giuliano was mayor. He did a pretty good job and was respected in the community. I'm not sure what got into him when he got to GLAAD. From what I've heard, he was really uncompromising there. Damn shame.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 29, 2009 12:12:15 AM

23. Oh, and to JEFF NYC, yes, Mr Giuliano was the gay, REPUBLICAN mayor of Tempe, Arizona. A four-termer, in fact.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 29, 2009 12:14:50 AM

24. Good riddance, Neil. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: Asher | Jan 29, 2009 4:43:52 AM

25. We have always been devided , we cannot or will not come to terms with our lifestyle , fems vs masculine , drags vs trans. Never the twain shall meet. Devided we fail. they are laughing at us as they know we are not a threat to anyone. We have internalized our fight to become equal , null and void...

Posted by: yaaah69 | Jan 29, 2009 10:17:02 AM