Ewan McGregor | Film | Jim Carrey | Kiss | News | Playing Gay | Rodrigo Santoro

Jim Carrey on His Kiss with Ewan McGregor: 'Yum, Yum, Eat-Him-Up'

Phillipmorris

Jim Carrey, whose new film I Love You Phillip Morris has been received very well at Sundance, talked recently about his own internalized homophobia and his decisions to take the role, as well as his experience performing in a sexual role with Ewan McGregor:

Carrey_mcgregor_santoro"If I were to be really honest, there was a homophobic voice that rose up inside me that said, 'Gee, this is kind of scary. First of all, what will people think, and second of all, will I like it? Will I like kissing Ewan? How will that affect me? There were a few people in my world who said, 'Are you sure you want to do this?' And that still exists. I said 'Absolutely' because, sexual preference aside, it is a story that is so compelling and interesting and different. It's about humanity. It is about you love who you love. And love is love. And that's it...."

As for the kiss: "Ewan was a bit prickly. I think we have some great sexual chemistry on screen. I think there is definitely a lot of smouldering,'yum, yum, eat-him-up' vibe."

Carrey reports that one person asked him, "What are you doing for the gay community?"

Said Carrey: "That was a tough one. Here's a movie about love and tolerance. And that's something. And I just see it as an internal job. I think people are changing internally. So we all learn to love ourselves, we will love each other. We are a bunch of mirrors out there. If something bothers me about this guy in the front row, it's me."

The film also stars Brazilian actor Rodrigo Santoro

IlypmThe Hollywood Reporter: "Like Carrey's character, the story and style are all over the place, rendering it somewhat inaccessible. Admittedly, the whole film is in a bit of an aesthetic dither that will confound many viewers. Still, filmmakers Glenn Ficarra and John Requa have concocted a frothy and misty amusement."

Defamer: "Let's get this out of the way: Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor make just about the cutest, most gaga-in-love couple we'll likely see in any movie at Sundance. No, the camera does not cut away from their passionate kisses or acts of fellative love; dare we say Morris contains some of the most sensitive images of bitch-on-inmate affection that have ever been captured on film."

Variety: "The 100 minutes is one of the most unusual mixtures of the fest -- moments of Carrey's branded hilarity opposite brutal prison culture and graphic gay sex. Requa said they'll put some even hotter cut scenes on the DVD extras."

The Sundance press conference for the film with the actors and filmmakers, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
I Love You Phillip Morris Billboard Up in Cannes [tr]
Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor Have Windblown, Key West Romance [tr]
Jim Carrey and Rodrigo Santoro Play Gay in I Love You Phillip Morris [tr]
Ewan McGregor and Jim Carrey to Make Love in Prison [tr]

In four parts:

Comments

1. "moments of Carrey's branded hilarity opposite brutal prison culture and graphic gay sex"

Quote sounds like best movie over--
    Trailer looks like shit--
    Hope trailer just sucks.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Jan 22, 2009 11:07:32 AM

2. those press blurbs don't sound like "well received" talk to me.

I am so over people asking actors about how hard it is to kiss another actor of the same sex. It's just so stupid.

Posted by: Alex | Jan 22, 2009 11:16:34 AM

3. Sexual preference? Preference? Hmmmm. Think I'll skip this one.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jan 22, 2009 11:23:46 AM

4. Woohoo, the Minstrel Show's in Town! I just love those actors in Gayface!

Posted by: protogenes | Jan 22, 2009 12:04:26 PM

5. Will these actors PLEASE get over themselves about kissing a man! Gotdam! When you have to RIM another actor, THEN we'll talk!

Posted by: Q | Jan 22, 2009 12:05:06 PM

6. one only has to see "pillowbook" or "velvet goldmine" to see that ewen macgregor has absolutely no problems doing man-man kissing scenes.

Posted by: alguien | Jan 22, 2009 12:53:21 PM

7. Poor Ewan. He's always up for a gay role, with no fears or pretension. And then he gets saddled with kissing Jim Carrey. Man, woman, pig or toaster - I don't envy the task.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 22, 2009 1:40:48 PM

8. Sexual PREFERENCE?! Really? Seriously? Ewan can do so much better, lol.

Posted by: Brendan | Jan 22, 2009 1:49:30 PM

9. I do not think Jenny McCarthy and Robyn Penn appreciate their husbands taking on gay roles. It's embarassing. I would rather see a gay actor take these roles, like Tom Cruise or Kevin Spacey.

Posted by: ty | Jan 22, 2009 1:52:01 PM

10. Ty, very funny. But, you forgot to add Will Smith and John Travolta to that list.

Posted by: www.gaygregator.com | Jan 22, 2009 2:30:44 PM

11. Blah, blah blah.

Is it "...not a gay movie..." or is it cool and trendy to be gay--I'm so confused.

But I'd still love to hear a gay actor obsess about deciding to kiss a woman in a movie--"What will it be like" "Will I like it?" (!) "What will people think?"

It'll take more than Carrey's "gay" drama to get me into the theater.

Posted by: lodenmuse | Jan 22, 2009 2:37:35 PM

12. I think the name of the film is "I Love You Phillip Morris", not "William Morris". I just tried to reserve it on Netflix and that's how I came up with this info.

Posted by: TomJ | Jan 22, 2009 2:44:23 PM

13. Of course, if Spacey, Travolta, Cruise or Will Smith took the role, they would keep reminding the press what a leap it was- imagine ME playing a homer-sexual! "Of course, I had to do a lot of research, take four weeks at the Actors Studio, and hit those Method books. And still (sigh), I must pause and wonder-- was I believeable? Well, I tried my best. For my art."

Posted by: Henriette | Jan 22, 2009 4:27:57 PM

14. I saw this movie at Sundance. It's funny and the scenes are hilarious. It's more of a comedy about Jim Carrey trying to get back to the love of his life than about their relationship. There is a scene where Carrey is topping a random trick that is far more 'graphic' than anything else in the movie. And don't get me started on Ewan McGregor (rowrrr).

Posted by: msb | Jan 22, 2009 8:37:58 PM

15. .

To JERZEEMIKE and BRENDAN,
    Jim Carrey did not say "sexual preference." He said "sexual proclivity." Proclivity means: a natural inclination.

Jim Carrey is misquoted in the DailyRecord article that Andy referenced. For the actual quote, listen to the (6:30) mark of part 1 of the Phillip Morris press conference, above.

Posted by: Alrighty Then | Jan 22, 2009 9:02:25 PM

16. I do think it is hilarious when reporters do things like ask Ewan what it was like to kiss Jim Carrey (ran an interview with Ewan yesterday). Did they not so much as bother to look up the actor's resume? Ewan has played more than one gay character in the past.

Similar to when reporters kept asking Hellen Mirren what it was like to do nude scenes for "Calender Girls". The woman had already been nude in a dozen filmes and her tv show, but they still ask the question as if it is some new shocking thing

Posted by: lalalulu | Jan 23, 2009 1:24:33 AM

17. so what if he said "sexual preference"?
    bfd, ugh.
    i swear, with as much straight male homophobia in the world today you'd think a few bitchy queens wouldn't need to dissect every little thing people say.

like when Jason Mraz used the term "lifestyle", alot of you bitched about that. so what?

sorry, but we have a really long way to go in life as gay men & there a bigger issues at hand.
    let's see what actors like Jason Statham & Gerard Butler would say to taking on a gay role in a mainstream film.
    you'd probably get no comment.

it sucks that there is always some big frenzy over 2 men kissing each other(in a non-comedic setting)yet when you turn on the tv or go to any random website you can see 2 girls going at it like it's nothing.

Posted by: Gorgeous Things | Jan 23, 2009 9:57:41 AM

18. Just wait till the movie comes out...

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 23, 2009 2:50:04 PM

19. In case there's any confusion about the bruhaha over the word "preference"-- it is because that word implies that people choose it. And we know that the folks who believe that homo-sexuality is a choice are 100% anti-queer,
    and that "sexual preference" is a code expression, essentially meaning some people make bad choices. (Hey, don't shoot the messenger.) I don't think it's wrong to point that out.

Posted by: Henriette | Jan 24, 2009 4:14:44 AM