Barack Obama | Democratic Party | Gay Rights | News

BigGayDeal.com

CLIP: LGBT Advocates Meet with Obama-Biden Transition Team

Lgbt

The Change.gov site is posting clips of some of the meetings it has had over the transition, including one with LGBT leaders.

You can watch the 3:40 clip AFTER THE JUMP...

In other news, President-elect Obama's first official White House portrait was released today, distinctive in that it's the first-ever presidential portrait taken with a digital camera. More specifically, Engadget notes, "a Canon EOS 5D Mark II on January 13th, 2009 at 5:38 pm with no flash, using a 105mm lens stopped to f/10 at a 1/125 exposure, with an ISO of 100 by newly crowned official White House photographer Pete Souza."

Obama_portrait_2

Comments

1. Revolutionary! I commend the Obama transition administration for holding this forum. Hearing them IS the first step, now, I will watch to see if the administration enacts some and, hopefully, all of these efforts. Thank you GLBT organization leaders!

Posted by: Jim | Jan 14, 2009 8:54:46 PM

2. I wonder how many bitter ill-informed ignorant queens will still trash obama over that DAMN petty Warren thing.He is still planning to work with the Gay and Lesbian community.And is doing so right now

Obama is still about change,so deal with it and get over yourselves.

Posted by: DJ | Jan 14, 2009 10:05:44 PM

3. I bet Wil Smith will play Obama in the movie.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jan 14, 2009 10:44:49 PM

4. Anyone else out there have hot, gay sex fantasies about Obama?? Me too...let's share them. Email me at: cointelpro_oh_oohh@live.com

I want someone to share my nasty Obama fantasies with! :)

Posted by: COINTELPROAgent | Jan 15, 2009 12:04:00 AM

5. I'm a bit confused by this schizophrenic post. How is the meeting with LGBT people connected to the release of the portrait?

I love Towleroad, just pointing out my confusion here.

Posted by: BetterHalf | Jan 15, 2009 12:48:30 AM

6. DJ, the point is that by providing a national platform to Warren, who is extremely homophobic, and whose AIDS work credentials are a sham, Obama is bringing him to a wider audience and increasing his fame.

We have every right to be incensed by this and speak out against it. In fact, I believe it is our responsibility.

We will not do ourselves a favor by being hung up on it, but we should not forget it either. Do you think this meeting and the invitation to were an accident? They may not have been a direct result of outcry over Warren but they certainly happened because gays and lesbians raised their voices and were heard, not because we shrugged and said, "It's ok; I'm sure he has our best interests at heart."

Posted by: LA_activist | Jan 15, 2009 12:55:16 AM

7. The photographer should have used a Nikon D3x.

Posted by: Paul | Jan 15, 2009 3:18:44 AM

8. Barack Obama and Joe Biden have proudly stood up for Civil Rights issues regarding the GLBT community long before the fracas over Rev Warren. When Barack Obama mentioned sexual orientation in his post primary acceptance speech; Joe Biden when he stuck his chest out during the famous debate with Sarah Palin and proclaimed that Gays should have the same rights as everyone else. These are some of the instances which make me feel as though our newly elected officials actually ARE looking out for GLBT interests, for once. Quibbling over an invocation may seem ingratious at best. A simple prayer is not necessarily reflective of domestic policy.

Posted by: Daymon A Balser | Jan 15, 2009 4:39:29 AM

9. Hmm, I have to say I'm not mad about the composition and the greige background; the photo just doesn't seem to do justice to Barack's handsome face.

Posted by: Chaq | Jan 15, 2009 4:54:52 AM

10. I'll be interested in seeing how things begin to change in those infamous first 100 days.

(and am I the only one that doesn't think Barack is attractive? Though that photo is well done.)

Posted by: Spike | Jan 15, 2009 5:38:15 AM

11. mr obama is not a classically handsome man, especially at rest. he is, however, quite attractive when his features are animated by his intelligence and personality.

and i am not a fan of that picture. he has jug ears for days, and full face head on exagerates that feature... and it doesn't do his chin any favors either. a 3/4 shot would be most flattering, as it is for most faces.

Posted by: jack | Jan 15, 2009 9:05:37 AM

12. It sure looks like a flash was used to me. The light in his eyes is circular like a flash with an umbrella over it. And a fill card on the other side because there is a shadow from his lapel on his shirt.

Posted by: 1♥ | Jan 15, 2009 11:38:16 AM

13. Gracious, y'all have already aged my baby...I mean, Michelle's baby. Respect, I got to remember, respect.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 15, 2009 12:23:55 PM

14. Jack,

"Not a classically handsome man"? Gee, what criteria defines being "classically handsome"? Northern European features?

DJ,

You're right. It's one thing to be upset about Rick Warren's selection but it's another to utterly denounce Obama as the super-villain of Queer City, U.S.A.

Almost everyday, someone on Towleroad screams about Obama: Obama names gay people to his staff. Result--Obama is pandering. Oy vey! Would it be better if he didn't name anyone? Obama has Gene Robinson delivering a sermon. Result--Obama is pandering; or too little to late. Etc., etc., etc.

January 20, 2009, will be come and go. Then what?

Posted by: noah | Jan 15, 2009 2:18:38 PM

15. Um, why is Obama framed center-right in this portrait???

Posted by: brainypirate | Jan 15, 2009 3:10:49 PM

16. Cute, JOHNNY DEPP wannabe, but I think it has something to do with the flag...I think. Um...ask Andy, he knows about photography and visual arts.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 15, 2009 3:40:23 PM