Comments

1. Jim says

Revolutionary! I commend the Obama transition administration for holding this forum. Hearing them IS the first step, now, I will watch to see if the administration enacts some and, hopefully, all of these efforts. Thank you GLBT organization leaders!

2. DJ says

I wonder how many bitter ill-informed ignorant queens will still trash obama over that DAMN petty Warren thing.He is still planning to work with the Gay and Lesbian community.And is doing so right now

Obama is still about change,so deal with it and get over yourselves.

3. BetterHalf says

I’m a bit confused by this schizophrenic post. How is the meeting with LGBT people connected to the release of the portrait?

I love Towleroad, just pointing out my confusion here.

4. LA_activist says

DJ, the point is that by providing a national platform to Warren, who is extremely homophobic, and whose AIDS work credentials are a sham, Obama is bringing him to a wider audience and increasing his fame.

We have every right to be incensed by this and speak out against it. In fact, I believe it is our responsibility.

We will not do ourselves a favor by being hung up on it, but we should not forget it either. Do you think this meeting and the invitation to were an accident? They may not have been a direct result of outcry over Warren but they certainly happened because gays and lesbians raised their voices and were heard, not because we shrugged and said, “It’s ok; I’m sure he has our best interests at heart.”

5. says

Barack Obama and Joe Biden have proudly stood up for Civil Rights issues regarding the GLBT community long before the fracas over Rev Warren. When Barack Obama mentioned sexual orientation in his post primary acceptance speech; Joe Biden when he stuck his chest out during the famous debate with Sarah Palin and proclaimed that Gays should have the same rights as everyone else. These are some of the instances which make me feel as though our newly elected officials actually ARE looking out for GLBT interests, for once. Quibbling over an invocation may seem ingratious at best. A simple prayer is not necessarily reflective of domestic policy.

6. Chaq says

Hmm, I have to say I’m not mad about the composition and the greige background; the photo just doesn’t seem to do justice to Barack’s handsome face.

7. says

I’ll be interested in seeing how things begin to change in those infamous first 100 days.

(and am I the only one that doesn’t think Barack is attractive? Though that photo is well done.)

8. says

mr obama is not a classically handsome man, especially at rest. he is, however, quite attractive when his features are animated by his intelligence and personality.

and i am not a fan of that picture. he has jug ears for days, and full face head on exagerates that feature… and it doesn’t do his chin any favors either. a 3/4 shot would be most flattering, as it is for most faces.

9. 1♥ says

It sure looks like a flash was used to me. The light in his eyes is circular like a flash with an umbrella over it. And a fill card on the other side because there is a shadow from his lapel on his shirt.

10. noah says

Jack,

“Not a classically handsome man”? Gee, what criteria defines being “classically handsome”? Northern European features?

DJ,

You’re right. It’s one thing to be upset about Rick Warren’s selection but it’s another to utterly denounce Obama as the super-villain of Queer City, U.S.A.

Almost everyday, someone on Towleroad screams about Obama: Obama names gay people to his staff. Result–Obama is pandering. Oy vey! Would it be better if he didn’t name anyone? Obama has Gene Robinson delivering a sermon. Result–Obama is pandering; or too little to late. Etc., etc., etc.

January 20, 2009, will be come and go. Then what?

11. Derrick from Philly says

Cute, JOHNNY DEPP wannabe, but I think it has something to do with the flag…I think. Um…ask Andy, he knows about photography and visual arts.