Barack Obama | Gene Robinson | Inauguration

Obama Team Apologies, May Play Robinson Tape At Inauguration

Via The Feed:

The officials who planned Sunday's inaugural music celebration, We Are One, have apologized for a error that resulted in excluding the invocation by openly gay Episcopal bishop, the Rev. Gene Robinson, from the televised portion of the program. They also say the bishop's prayer may be broadcast on the big screens before Tuesday's inauguration program begins. [snip] There is talk that Robinson's invocation will be shown early tomorrow and the inauguration committee may post video of his prayer on its channel within the video-sharing Web site YouTube. But the committee has not yet confirmed that to me.

Comments

1. I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted by: christopher | Jan 19, 2009 7:05:59 PM

2. BaCTRrack Obama is an hypocrite, like all demagogues. You will see backtracking all the time: Yes we may but later, Yes we could have but circumstances have changed (as in change we can believe in, as in I've changed my mind...).

Posted by: MartinLuther | Jan 19, 2009 7:27:49 PM

3. Did anyone else notice that when Josh Groban sang, and then Heather Headley joined him, they both had titles on screen that said who they were. But when the Gay Men's Choir joined them, there was no title saying who they were????

Posted by: Jack | Jan 19, 2009 7:43:01 PM

4. Did anyone else notice that when Josh Groban sang, and then Heather Headley joined him, they both had titles on screen that said who they were. But when the Gay Men's Choir joined them, there was no title saying who they were????

Posted by: Jack | Jan 19, 2009 7:43:28 PM

5. Did anyone else notice that when Josh Groban sang, and then Heather Headley joined him, they both had titles on screen that said who they were. But when the Gay Men's Choir joined them, there was no title saying who they were????

Posted by: Jack | Jan 19, 2009 7:44:03 PM

6. Did anyone else notice that when Josh Groban sang, and then Heather Headley joined him, they both had titles on screen that said who they were. But when the Gay Men's Choir joined them, there was no title saying who they were????

Posted by: Jack | Jan 19, 2009 7:44:15 PM

7. Jack Jack Jack Jack! That omission has been noted: apparently only one choir WAS identified, so that's less worrisome than the Robinson screwup.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jan 19, 2009 7:54:43 PM

8. All the above...

Get A life.

PLEASE lets see Barack do SOMETHING as a president...??

??

Posted by: John from England(used to be just John but there are other John's) | Jan 19, 2009 7:57:11 PM

9. Anything to appease the gay bloggers and then later not do what they say and blame it on "technical difficulties" our scheduling foul-ups. Are the "embarrassed" to announce publicly that they have queers as part of the inauguration???
    I'm hopping that Rick Warren's mic cuts out when he delivers the invocation tomorrow.

Posted by: Dhard | Jan 19, 2009 8:05:17 PM

10. We'll never hear Robinson again at the inauguration. When politicos speak, tongues become forked. (Oh I want to be wrong, please let me be wrong).

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 19, 2009 8:12:52 PM

11. I'm a progressive, liberal homo who wants equal rights. I want them now. For everyone.

Having said that, I'm embarrassed by the temper tantrum people are having about a perceived slight regarding this broadcast. Obama hasn't even been sworn in yet, and people are already saying "Told you so!"

It's not that big of a deal. Everyone makes mistakes. The inauguration and all of its attendant cermonies and celebrations are fraught with complex logistics being handled by a multitude of people. Taking this personally is just going to ruin your day and not allow you to see the big picture.

I'm appalled at how people are not celebrating the inclusion of the Gay Men's Chorus, Ellen, Bishop Robinson, the gay appointees to the administration so far, and the imminent repeal of DADT!

Get over it!

Posted by: KB | Jan 19, 2009 8:13:46 PM

12. I know a one-term loser when I see him. 'Sit down, you gay people. This is not your turn. This is not your time.'

I will not sit down. I will not shut up, KB.

Posted by: MyDogBen | Jan 19, 2009 8:34:58 PM

13. No one's asking you to sit down and shut up. A little perspective is in order for everyone, especially in light of the fact that nobody know's exactly what happened with all the tumult of the past day or two.

Your "one-term loser" has a 79% approval rating. What makes him a one-term president? Because you perceive that someone didn't give you what you want? If that were the case, we would be awaiting Bush's 3rd term with McCain. Bush did nothing for gay people, and he was re-elected (well, sort of).

I choose to rejoice in the promise of tomorrow and the next four years, to celebrate the fact that McCain and Palin were not elected, and to wait and see what happens. I, for one, am extremely optimistic about Obama and gay rights. Does anyone in their right mind think that the President-Elect personally intervened to tell HBO what to broadcast, or to instruct those working for him to do so? Nobody has said "This is not your turn, this is not your time." All of these false attributions just make gay people look bitter. I find it highly unlikely this was purposely anti-gay given everything else going on. Nobody has the facts about this HBO issue, so I see no reason to attribute this to him.

Posted by: KB | Jan 19, 2009 8:45:38 PM

14. KB, I respect your position. I am happy you feel celebratory. I do not. This is a guy who ran a PERFECT campaign and I am being asked to believe this pattern of disrespect to the gays is accidental? BTW Melissa Etheridge and other celebrity lesbians do not speak for me.
    I thought the honeymoon with this man would last at least after the inauguration. My mistake. One term? If he will throw me under the bus to suck up to evangelicals, he will do likewise to others. Obama was the better choice in the election, yes. But let's come back in four year's time and see where we stand.

Posted by: MyDogBen | Jan 19, 2009 8:56:20 PM

15. Episcopal Cafe reports that Bishop Robinson will be attending the service at St. John's, Lafayette Sq., and will be sitting with the Obamas at the parade. I'm not sure that Rick Warren, or any other clergyperson, is scheduled to spend that much time with Obama. Looks like Aunt Vicki Gene is doing well for herself, hehe. Here's the link to the story:

Posted by: Clint | Jan 19, 2009 9:05:46 PM

16. Mydogben, I respect your thoughtful post. It will be very interesting to see how it all unfolds. Personally, I don't feel thrown under the bus, nor do I see a pattern of disrespect. I see a transcendent individual reaching out more broadly than anyone has before him. That may cause some discomfort for the bedfellows, but it's an educational process. I WANT Obama to engage the evangelicals, since he got 32% of the evangelical vote (compared to Kerry's 16%). If he can reach into that community, nd the younger generation which is more likely to be predisposed to accepting gay equal rights, I don't see a problem with that.

One thing is for sure, if expectations are not met, the incoming President may find the gay and lesbian communities use the social networking and technology he used so well to win the election be used to register dissatisfaction and calls for greater change. As I said, I am hopeful.

Posted by: K | Jan 19, 2009 9:12:04 PM

17. For the record: None of the back up singers, musicians or choirs had their names on the screen during the concert so tell me what was the problem? The names were only for the major stars.

Posted by: Brutus | Jan 19, 2009 11:02:11 PM

18. "Having said that, I'm embarrassed by the temper tantrum people are having about a perceived slight regarding this broadcast. Obama hasn't even been sworn in yet, and people are already saying 'Told you so!'"

I think gay people have every right to be wary and suspicious after the Warren selection, which made the Robinson omission all the more anger-making, whatever the reason for it. The "tantrum" was fueled by more than simply the incident yesterday. In the wake of Prop 8 etc. we're pissed off bigtime and have every right to be.

That said, I agree with the rest of what you say, KB.

If we choose to think of the inauguration as an end rather than a beginning, the only ones who will benefit are the right wing, who'd love nothing better than for us to throw in the towel on Obama. Too much is at stake, both on the LGBT front and every other front. We need to engage, not disengage. I will push however I can for Obama to act on the LGBT issues he's promised to act on.

At the same time, there are myriad other crucial issues out there, and I feel confident that we are leaving the tragic Bush years behind--thank god--and entering a new era, one where we might actually be able to be proud to be Americans again. To write off Obama as a "one-term loser" (unless you wrote him off from the beginning and want him to fail for selfish political reasons) before he's started governing hurts no one but ourselves.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 19, 2009 11:23:12 PM

19. Thanks, K. PS, I agree with you that our community learned a lot in the last election and we can use that knowledge and strength to our advantage in future elections as well.

Ernie, I supported the Obama candidacy early and loudly and I backed it up with multiple donations (a first for me). So to have my smaller (3% ? 10%?) demographic judged disposable by B.O. when weighed against the larger christianist demographic then, yes, the honeymoon is over with this guy. His pretty words weary my ears. Show me substantive, meaningful changes. If he can't get the job done for GLBT people, then bring on a president who will.

Posted by: MyDogBen | Jan 20, 2009 1:03:28 AM

20. if David Duke or any other racist, bigot, had been asked to share the inaugural stage with the incoming pres, would that have been acceptable? Would the protesters have been labeled whiners? gays and lesbians and women continue to the be groups that are indeed 'thrown under the bus', discounted, taken for granted. i did not vote for obama (i voted green), but keep trying to be hopeful that he will effect real change. he and his administration, so far, have made it difficult for me to jump on board. Fisa, Rick Warren, his misogynist boy speech 'director'... where's the change folks? it doesn't count to compare him to the last nitwit in office.anyone would be better than him. it doesn't matter that he has dark skin. remember, judge by the content of his character, not the color of his skin. i'm still waiting to see the content of his character.

Posted by: Gay | Jan 20, 2009 1:21:57 AM

21. WAKE UP people! What part of all this do you not get? It began with Donnie McClurkin many months ago. THe Gospel Tour of Barack Obama's. The Faith Tour of Barack Obama. "We beleive marriage is between a man and a woman" by Joe Biden. Robo calls in California saying vote yes on Prop. 8 by Barack Obama. The Gay Pride parade skipped by Barack Obama for a haircut and shootin some hoops. Can't have my picture taken with the mayor of SF, Gavin Newsome because he's pushing Prop 8. A slip-up? A bone-headed mistake? Nothing is a mistake with these people. It is choreographed to a T. Nobody is gonna fight for rights for you. If we want equality, we'll have to demand it.

Posted by: glennmcgahee | Jan 20, 2009 8:07:57 AM

22. KB and Glenn, among others--stay angry and cautious. This is another "mistake" in what seems to be a mistake-bound policy towards people from alternative sexualities.

This was theoretically a mea culpa because of the Rick Warren slap in the face. So that makes the error all the more problematic.

Stay angry and stay aware but be smart about it. That is part of the energy that put this man in office.

Posted by: David Ezell | Jan 20, 2009 8:25:09 AM

23. Polititians do what they believe, but they don't sacrifice their career over a single issue, no matter how heartfelt. Clinton tried and failed to deliver for the gays. Obama may well succeed. But he does have a developing pattern of cozying up with religious folks, attempting to borrow equity, only to appplogize and distance himself from a messy controversy. Will he get better at avoiding the traps, or avoid the religious toadying altogether? I have never heard a polititian make such a clear, humane connection of gay rights to the human rights struggle. I hope we can be patient, and supportive, and vocal as to what we expect.

Posted by: Patrick lehman | Jan 20, 2009 8:52:42 AM

24. It's 10 am. Did Robinson's prayer air?

Posted by: Jeff NYC | Jan 20, 2009 10:07:16 AM