News | Oregon | Portland | Sam Adams

Portland Swears in Gay Mayor Sam Adams

Samadams

Sam Adams, who was elected last May to replace Portland Oregon's outgoing mayor Tom Potter, was sworn into office at 12:01 am on New Years Day. Approximately 40 people were on hand including Adams' partner Peter Zuckerman, who is a reporter with The Oregonian.

Portland is now the largest U.S. city with an openly gay mayor.

While the AP reports that neither Adams nor his opponents "raised his sexuality in the race," Adams was targeted before the official race began by Bob Ball, a gay Portland real estate developer who also had an interest in the mayor's office, in an ugly, unsubstantiated smear campaign involving an underage intern. Adams, obviously, survived that attack.

Said Adams of his win and his sexuality: "This is a testament to how fair-minded Portlanders are that it wasn't an issue. I spend my time on the basic issues of life. A part of that includes equal rights, but that's not even close to a majority of the time. My passions for public service includes promoting social justice equality for all, but it obviously also includes finding good jobs for people, which is also part of my family's background of not being able to always have economic security. Being gay is part of me, so is being Irish-American, so is being from a small Oregon town.'"

Watch Adams get sworn in, AFTER THE JUMP....

Previously
Portland, Oregon's New Gay Mayor Sam Adams: Victory Speech [tr]
Portland Elects Openly Gay Mayor Sam Adams [tr]

Samadams2

Portland's new mayor

Comments

1. wow! he's hot too.

Posted by: aguien | Jan 2, 2009 11:25:24 AM

2. Seems like a nice enough guy, but I'm not familiar with his politics beyond the fact that he's openly gay.

On that single note, however, I'm very happy to say: Way to go Portland and congratulations Sam!!

Posted by: sparks | Jan 2, 2009 11:38:41 AM

3. Sam Adams lives in my North Portland (NoPo)neighborhood in a regular working class bungalow. I occasionally get to say hello to him on dog walks. It is true that his being gay was a total non-issue during the campaign, by Sam or the other canidates.
    Also in my neighborhood- Kenton, lives Tina Kotek who is an open lesbian state represenative & one of the most powerful people in the State House. Oregon also elected a bi-sexual Secreatary of State & a trangendered mayor of Silverton.
    Portland has no 'gay ghetto" like The Castro or Chelsea... we are all over the city!

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 2, 2009 11:45:14 AM

4. WOW HOLY GHEEEZUZ he supports the Constitution of the State of Oregon which denies him the civil rights that hetero Oregonians enjoy! It's a catch 22 and I'll look forward to seeing how he deals with his denial of Civil Equality and doing his Job of Maintaining that denial of Civil Rights. It's a good day for Portland and Gay Americans and Portland is a lovely city too.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 2, 2009 12:49:45 PM

5. Stop with the abbreviations of neighborhoods. Its just North Portland, NoPo, WeHo, SoWa. It seems every city is trying to have their own "SoHo." It is incredibly lame.

Posted by: cbc | Jan 2, 2009 1:02:12 PM

6. meh @ CBC. I used to live in NePo than moved to EaVa but all I really gotta say is: GO SAM ADAMS!

Posted by: JohnnyP | Jan 2, 2009 1:33:22 PM

7. Portland doesn't really have a gay ghetto, it's true, but, there is an unusually high concentration of homos in the gentrified Pearl District. I agree though that the NoPo WeHo SoHo thing is really annoying.

Posted by: B.J. | Jan 2, 2009 2:37:39 PM

8. Portland is the home of gay filmmaking greats Gus Van Sant and Todd Haynes.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 2, 2009 2:46:19 PM

9. Always a good decision!

Posted by: MateoM | Jan 3, 2009 2:28:34 PM

10. I hate it when people comment about other comments, it just makes me have to read extra crap. Oh wait! Did I just comment on other comments? My bad.

Congrats Sam!

Posted by: Timmy | Jan 3, 2009 8:28:34 PM

11. Regarding Portland neighborhood names, the Pearl District is also known as the Pearl Cream District, if you get the drift.

Posted by: Splash | Jan 4, 2009 7:33:19 PM