Barack Obama | Donald Rumsfeld | George W. Bush | Music | Music Video | News | Rod Blagojevich | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #420

OBAMA: His first interview as president, with Al-Arabiya TV.

ROD BLAGOJEVICH: His PR blitz began on The View yesterday.

TORTURE: UN says U.S. required to bring Rumsfeld and Bush before a court for war crimes.

MATT ALBER: Alber, gay and a former member of the vocal ensemble Chanticleer, recorded his first album Hide Nothing on a Mac in his bedroom, and shot this video at the barber shop where he gets his hair cut with his brother and father as part of the crew. Joe has a giveaway.

Comments

1. The Matt Alber video is beautiful. Well worth the time to watch, especially the end when they dance and the curtain is pulled from the window.

Posted by: Kyle | Jan 27, 2009 12:56:54 PM

2. I agree, beautiful song and video.

Posted by: Rob | Jan 27, 2009 1:08:13 PM

3. Kyle, I agree... very romantic video.

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Jan 27, 2009 1:13:15 PM

4. I ♥ the Matt Alber video and song.

Posted by: 1♥ | Jan 27, 2009 1:27:36 PM

5. Beautiful song and video. Made me cry. Not hard to do, of course, today is a tough day, but still.

Travis

Posted by: Travis | Jan 27, 2009 1:30:28 PM

6. I love the song and video.

I first saw it on Logo in November and was moved by how beautiful it is.

His whole album is great. I strongly recommend it.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 27, 2009 1:32:01 PM

7. At his blog, Matt Alber gives a little background about when he wrote the song.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 27, 2009 1:34:29 PM

8. pretty song and video.

i used to get my hair cut at the barbershop when i lived in SF. and the chanticleer boys were always a nice, friendly bunch too. i spent a very enjoyable evening partyng with them a number of years ago-although i don't believe matt alber was a member of the group back then.

Posted by: alguien | Jan 27, 2009 1:34:34 PM

9. Hey look: it's guide #420!

Now what shall we do while watching those clips?

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jan 27, 2009 1:34:43 PM

10. Not only is Matt an amazing singer, he is also one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. Check out all of his stuff on YouTube and his myspace.

Posted by: MM | Jan 27, 2009 1:37:00 PM

11. Gee! Finally! Someone has the balls to say "BUSH / RUMSFIELD TORTURED AND MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!!"

I hope they nail that smug fucker to his cross.

Posted by: Rad | Jan 27, 2009 1:48:04 PM

12. On another topic, the guy from the UN is dreaming if he thinks the new administration is going to go after the previous one on torture.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 27, 2009 1:50:14 PM

13. Matt is an excellent singer and a sweetheart, a musician's musician.

Posted by: busytimmy | Jan 27, 2009 1:51:05 PM

14. LOVELY. Yet my favorite Matt Alber song remains "What Took You So Long?" Simply sublime.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 27, 2009 1:53:14 PM

15. Matt Alber's album is great for a first album! The End of The World song is just well written a a huge departure from mosts songs today which have no story and no soul behind it. I call him Rufus Wainwright with a soul minus the attitude.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 27, 2009 2:52:03 PM

16. Matt Alber's album is great for a first album! The End of The World song is just well written a a huge departure from mosts songs today which have no story and no soul behind it. I call him Rufus Wainwright with a soul minus the attitude.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 27, 2009 2:54:13 PM

17. Matt Alber's video is amazing. Kyle's said it already: "especially the end when they dance and the curtain is pulled from the window". Share it around - everyone needs to see this.

Posted by: Sue Lemon | Jan 27, 2009 3:23:43 PM

18. Alber's video was very nice but I can't get past just how much he sounds like Rufus Wainwright.

I don't mean he sounds 'somewhat' like him, he sounds EXACTLY like him. So much so that when a friend played me this album I honestly thought it was Wainwright. His inflections on certain words are almost exactly the same. I dare you to listen to 'End of the World' and when he sings, "Don't want to be dangled over the edge" and NOT think of Rufus. I wonder about the creative process- did no one make mention of this to him?

Posted by: B | Jan 27, 2009 3:58:00 PM

19. It wasn't the UN saying anything, it was Manfred Nowak saying things, and he's not in any position to do anything. You might as well ask the editorial board of the NY Times their opinion.

Posted by: anon | Jan 27, 2009 5:18:39 PM

20. B: I hear Rufus too, but as Sean said it was Rufus with a soul. I listen to Rufus and he barely keeps my attention. Rufus' world-weary thing is a drag. Matt seems like he is alive.

Posted by: Ted | Jan 28, 2009 1:43:50 AM

21. This is the first time have heard of Matt Alber, and OMG wasn't expecting that video to completely reduce me to a sobbing heap by the song's end! Perhaps should save listening to the whole album until Valentines Day...

Posted by: BG | Jan 28, 2009 12:04:51 PM

22. Such a beautiful song!

Posted by: George | Jan 28, 2009 5:06:29 PM

23. Matt Alber is a great musician. I just recently interviewed him. Check it out

Posted by: Francis Lewis | Feb 2, 2009 5:41:27 PM

24. Matt Alber is a great musician. I just recently interviewed him. Check it out

Posted by: Francis Lewis | Feb 2, 2009 5:41:53 PM

25. Matt Alber is a great musician. I just recently interviewed him. Check it out

Posted by: Francis Lewis | Feb 2, 2009 5:41:57 PM