Towleroad Guide to the Tube #420

OBAMA: His first interview as president, with Al-Arabiya TV.

ROD BLAGOJEVICH: His PR blitz began on The View yesterday.

TORTURE: UN says U.S. required to bring Rumsfeld and Bush before a court for war crimes.

MATT ALBER: Alber, gay and a former member of the vocal ensemble Chanticleer, recorded his first album Hide Nothing on a Mac in his bedroom, and shot this video at the barber shop where he gets his hair cut with his brother and father as part of the crew. Joe has a giveaway.

Comments

1. alguien says

pretty song and video.

i used to get my hair cut at the barbershop when i lived in SF. and the chanticleer boys were always a nice, friendly bunch too. i spent a very enjoyable evening partyng with them a number of years ago-although i don’t believe matt alber was a member of the group back then.

2. Sean says

Matt Alber’s album is great for a first album! The End of The World song is just well written a a huge departure from mosts songs today which have no story and no soul behind it. I call him Rufus Wainwright with a soul minus the attitude.

3. Sean says

4. Sue Lemon says

Matt Alber’s video is amazing. Kyle’s said it already: “especially the end when they dance and the curtain is pulled from the window”. Share it around – everyone needs to see this.

5. B says

Alber’s video was very nice but I can’t get past just how much he sounds like Rufus Wainwright.

I don’t mean he sounds ‘somewhat’ like him, he sounds EXACTLY like him. So much so that when a friend played me this album I honestly thought it was Wainwright. His inflections on certain words are almost exactly the same. I dare you to listen to ‘End of the World’ and when he sings, “Don’t want to be dangled over the edge” and NOT think of Rufus. I wonder about the creative process- did no one make mention of this to him?

6. anon says

It wasn’t the UN saying anything, it was Manfred Nowak saying things, and he’s not in any position to do anything. You might as well ask the editorial board of the NY Times their opinion.

7. Ted says

B: I hear Rufus too, but as Sean said it was Rufus with a soul. I listen to Rufus and he barely keeps my attention. Rufus’ world-weary thing is a drag. Matt seems like he is alive.

8. BG says

This is the first time have heard of Matt Alber, and OMG wasn’t expecting that video to completely reduce me to a sobbing heap by the song’s end! Perhaps should save listening to the whole album until Valentines Day…

9. James says

Matt Alber’s singing is just incredibly appealing. “The end of the world” is the first time I’ve ever seen the emotional life of gay folks portrayed in a sensitive, tender manner that says our emotions and feelings are just as tender, just as authentic as anyone else’s. For more of Matt’s videos, visit YouTube and enter his name.
    Matt Alber is also a fine classical singer; see his performance of the aria “But who may abide the day of his coming,” from Handel’s “Messiah” here:

I can’t figure out how to print a link that works in these comments.