Andy Warhol | Barack Obama | Film | News | Steven Spielberg | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #407

DR. SANJAY GUPTA: The new surgeon general?

ROOSTER: Forget the snooze alarm.

STATIC: Andy Warhol, Steven Spielberg, and Bianca Jagger contemplate the mysteries of TV and radio.

2008: The year in movies.

Comments

1. I'm waiting for CNN to say April Fools...

Sanjay Gupta as Surgeon General? What's next? Morgan Freeman as Secretary of Defense? Katie Couric as Press Secretary?

Unless he plans on disclosing his previous ties to industry after every statement, I do believe we have some questionable ethics involved here.

Posted by: David | Jan 6, 2009 5:44:22 PM

2. I'd like someone to try and tell me that Steven Spielberg wasn't on some serious opiates in the 70s and 80s. No one movies like he used to without being under some heavy influence, bless his heart.

Posted by: damien | Jan 6, 2009 7:05:46 PM

3. David

When I first heard it I to was like ??????

BUT, if you think about it this could raise the surgeon general position a lot. Who even knows the name of bush's surgeon general?

Gupta being known by large segments of America and already in their homes via CNN, CBS medical expert as well, and Time mag can bring up "condoms" and actually be listened to. Heck, he can say what Joclyn Edwards said "bless her" about masturbation being normal and healthy and america will listen this tim as vs laughing and bible thumpers freaking.

This appointment and Ponetta "mr. anti-torture and anti-illegal wire taps" actually have me more excited than all of the other appointments so far.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jan 6, 2009 8:33:05 PM

4. PS

Gupta is a world renown neuro-surgeon and works at Emory university

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jan 6, 2009 8:36:04 PM

5. Jimmy,

I totally see where you're coming from. I do have a problem with it from an ethical stance, however.

While Gupta is certainly a household name, his ties to industry are deep and they are established. While this does not necessarily mean that he would intentionally act or speak with conscious bias, it is important that the public understand his history and how it may subconsciously create a bias that could have an effect on how he acts in the role of surgeon general.

Personally, I think he's too entrenched in industry and the mainstream media to effectively carry out the job. Our health care system is tragically broken, and I think that to really get positive change moving, we need cabinet members that will make change and speak change. Speaking to the public about health while money is sticking out of his back pocket from some of the very people opposing revision of how we handle our healthcare is not what I was hoping for out of a new surgeon general.

Posted by: David | Jan 6, 2009 10:02:22 PM

6. I seriously hope that gupta isn't appointed surgeon general. He is an incompetent celebrity doctor. He's a buffoon and slow witted.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 6, 2009 11:51:17 PM

7. David

I'm not aware of his ties to industry. Now I have to go and google, THANKS :-)

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jan 6, 2009 11:55:14 PM

8. gupta is a shill for big pharma. ever since he aligned himself with the dissembling, numbskull john stossel in attacking michael moore's "sicko", i have lost any respect for the self-promoting charlatan.

first there was rick warren, now sanjay gupta. i have to really question obama's sincerity and judgment as it pertains to gay equality and health care reform.

Posted by: nic | Jan 7, 2009 7:04:25 AM