Barack Obama | Colorado | Inauguration | Jared Polis | News | Washington DC

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Interview: Congressman Jared Polis (D-CO)
First Openly Gay Man Elected to Congress as Freshman

Polis

INAUGURATION SPECIAL

Yesterday we paid a visit to newly-elected Representative Jared Polis from Colorado, the first openly gay man elected as a freshman to Congress, in his new office in the Cannon Building on Capitol Hill as the nation awaits the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama.

You may remember our interview with Polis during the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

Corey Johnson talks with Polis, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I am loving your coverage in Washington, but I don't think that Jared Polis is the first openly gay man to serve in congress. Barney Frank and I believe that there is or was one other guy as well. I am happy that Jared is there and doing a great job, but I still don't think he is the first. I do home he is among the first of many!

Posted by: paul | Jan 19, 2009 5:23:58 PM

2. I think he may be the first elected. Barney Frank wasn't out when elected. He was outed later in a scandal.

Posted by: Mike K | Jan 19, 2009 5:34:39 PM

3. I think he may be the first elected. Barney Frank wasn't out when elected. He was outed later in a scandal.

Posted by: Mike K | Jan 19, 2009 5:35:00 PM

4. Barney wasn't out when he was elected. Jared is the first openly gay man to be elected to Congress.

We have a great interview with Barney coming up later.

Andy

Posted by: andy | Jan 19, 2009 5:35:27 PM

5. That was an embarrassing display of sycophancy. It was like watching a Russian TV interview with Putin. Corey, I know it was not an adversarial interview, but could you have at least asked one question that was mildly challenging?

Posted by: Donny | Jan 19, 2009 5:51:16 PM

6. Thanks for that clarification, Andy. I was scratching my head and making that Scooby Doo sound.

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 19, 2009 6:05:02 PM

7. I think you need different wording. Barney Frank has been elected many times since he's been out. Sorry, it's the teacher in me.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 19, 2009 6:23:03 PM

8. Well, as long as you're all here to point things out!

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 19, 2009 6:41:12 PM

9. Barney Frank has been elected several times since coming out as gay.

Posted by: dezboy | Jan 19, 2009 6:51:14 PM

10. Nonetheless, there is a significant difference in being an openly gay incumbent outed after a scandal and one who initially ran as an openly gay condidate for office.

I enjoyed that NYT interview with barney frank. He's a clevery guy.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 19, 2009 7:11:12 PM

11. Thanks so much, Corey, for brining up bi-national partner immigration. This issue is often forgotten even by the gay community, but those of us affected by it are desperately waiting for immigration reform so that we can unite with our partners, and so that we can have permanence and freedom to make choices in how we live our lives, as partners, together here in the U.S.

Thanks so much!!

Posted by: Carmen Gilotte | Jan 19, 2009 10:26:20 PM

12. Jim Kolbe (R-Az) represented the 6th and 8th Districts. He was outed after he voted in favor of the DOMA by gay rights activists. Steve Gunderson (R-Wi)was outed earlier in the same year on the floor of the House by a fellow Republican. Neither memeber is popular in the current party, and Kolbe has endorsed the Democrat that replaced him in both 2006 and 2008

Posted by: Brendan | Jan 20, 2009 5:25:05 PM