AIDS/HIV | Drag Queens | News | Television

Courageous Drag Queen Reveals Secret on RuPaul's Drag Race

Ongina

[SPOILERS]

On last night's episode of RuPaul's Drag Race, contestant Ongina made a startling revelation at the close of a competition in which the contestants were required to do a screen test for Viva Glam MAC cosmetics.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

There's also an interview with Ongina at Feast of Fools.

And World of Wonder has a behind-the-scenes clip with an extended interview with Ongina after her breakdown.

Comments

1. An oddly real moment on reality TV. Especially compared to the seemingly fake breakdown Rebecca had during the challenge. I hope that MAC keeps Ongina on as a long-term face for Viva Glam.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 24, 2009 1:31:55 PM

2. I've heard of "boogina" but not "ongina."

Posted by: crispy | Feb 24, 2009 1:33:04 PM

3. Blocked for non US-viewers. I love ©opyright! Not.

Posted by: Graham Anderson | Feb 24, 2009 1:33:16 PM

4. A gay man with HIV is startling? Hate to dismiss as trivial...but there are ways to prevent the transmission - why take the risk as he did.

this was done for an attempt to get ratings and nothing more

Posted by: non-shocked... | Feb 24, 2009 2:06:22 PM

5. I love my little pocket DQ. I loved Ongina from the beginning. And now that she has revealed to the world - including her parents - her condition, my love for her is ten-fold. Keep up the good spirits sweet Ongina!

Posted by: ppw | Feb 24, 2009 2:13:19 PM

6. The top 3 are going to be

Bebe, Nina, Ongina

Bebe and Nina will fight it out for 1st place

Taking bets now

Bebe's screen test last night was the best simply because of the connection to how aids is devastating Africa. Thanks catholic church on that one with your preaching condoms are a mortal sin to Africans as you sweep through the area to make up for your lose of power in other places in the world.

-------------------------------
    Jay "this is my nose" plastic nose job fooling nobody is pretty. I would say prettier when not in drag, but is either too shy (his/her explanation) or too boring and has little talent.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 24, 2009 2:13:24 PM

7. NON-shocked

Yeah, but his parents did not know and now they do. So to the entire world who watched.

On prevention. I am huge on pushing prevention, but once done its done and you should have a bit more sympathy for a fellow human being.

No one is perfect. We humans are flawed but aspiring. Unless you are from the planet Xenu, you might want to soften your heart a bit.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 24, 2009 2:18:29 PM

8. Well, it means that you can be HIV positive and still very beautiful.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 24, 2009 2:18:45 PM

9. Please make your voice heard, take the survey at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/
    and say yes to Civil Unions for gay couples. We may not be in Hawaii right now but our voice must be heard.

Posted by: Donsnyc | Feb 24, 2009 2:25:16 PM

10. Maybe that little drag queen will give RuPaul the courage to do the same? It's been a lot longer than 2 years for her, from the looks of it.

Posted by: Jesse | Feb 24, 2009 2:32:32 PM

11. Ongina did a brave thing and he is even more beautiful for it.

Sometimes even when protected, things happen. We shouldn't judge him. The straight bigots will do that enough for everyone.

We should really try to put the commune back into the Gay Community.

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 24, 2009 2:34:20 PM

12. give me an f'ing break.
    you're positive. get over it.

Posted by: kerry | Feb 24, 2009 2:42:46 PM

13. I have been HIV Positive since 97 and I do drag, so I can identify with him, but really is this really worthy of a overly dramatic breakdown? Most of my true heroes in this epidemic are out here fighting the fight.
    Honestly, if we want to make inroads with dispelling stigma the last we thing we need is another drag queen or Jack McEnroth coming out of the HIV closet.

Posted by: tooboot | Feb 24, 2009 2:51:51 PM

14. Thank you for the amount of support. i understand that there will be people out there like non-shocked but the truth of the matter is i will continue to support the awareness of HIV/AIDS and fight to find a cure and will continue educating people that prevention is key. But I am proud to out myself this way to know that life with HIV can be just as glamorous as life without. I don't seek your pity nor sympathy, non-shocked, I did it for me and I'm happy that I did. Either way, I wish you are happy and well. Kisses to all.

Posted by: ongina | Feb 24, 2009 2:55:48 PM

15. " Hate to dismiss as trivial...but there are ways to prevent the transmission - why take the risk as he did."

C'mon, aren't we better than that? Yes, one should protect one's self, but there are accidents and choices that aren't always good. He's a brother, and he deserves a little empathy.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Feb 24, 2009 3:01:36 PM

16. 'I don't seek your pity nor sympathy, non-shocked, I did it for me and I'm happy that I did. '

What a crock of shit. Anyone who goes on these 'reality' shows is nothing but a publicity whore. As for the HIV, after living through this nightmare for 27 years, you are an insult to those who had no information on how the virus was caught, and to those who faced real discrimination when they came out. Shame on you.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 24, 2009 3:18:19 PM

17. It's courageous to admit that you were irresponsible and got yourself infected? Somehow I think the word "courage" has been bastardized.

Posted by: Joe | Feb 24, 2009 3:24:33 PM

18. Wow, really Patrick NYC ? Are you that close to death that you are entering your own "fuck the world" death spiral? For your sake I hope you leave this world soon so those who understand the concepts of empathy and compassion can march over your rotted corpse and change this world for the better.

Posted by: Salome | Feb 24, 2009 3:24:35 PM

19. I don't see why this courageous. I'm not HIV positive that this isn't just another ridiculous stunt to attract attention (how could it not be?)...what's so courageous about that? As much compassion as I have for those who get HIV nowadays...I can't help but think that those who seroconvert aren't very bright...and as manageable as the illness has become, it will forever remain the ultimate fail that can happen to you if you're a gay male now with all of the information on prevention. I would never say this to anyone who was poz, of course, which differs from a lot of the people I know who have no trouble overcoming good taste and verbally expressing their opinion that those who seroconvert now are total losers. That's not doing anyone any favors.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 24, 2009 3:36:01 PM

20. SALOME

I understand 'the concepts of empathy and compassion' I just do not waste them on those who are fakes, which includes ANYONE who appears on 'REALITY" shows.

These shows are nothing but excuses to watch people who either fake, or do real melt downs, to those who enjoy car wrecks.

As for my demise, no I do not have AIDS, I just have been caring for those who do for 27 years, friends and strangers alike. And NONE of them speak like the trash you are defending. I feel more sorry for his need for attention, than for his having HIV.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 24, 2009 3:43:38 PM

21. You bitches are harsh. Love Ru,love this show. Who are any of you to judge Ongina?

Posted by: Rocco | Feb 24, 2009 3:55:49 PM

22. Being an HIV positive man and how I got there, is ultimately, no one's business. However, I got there from drug use after an emotionally abusive relationship when I thought no one cared.

For people to showcase their vitriol, the way that some people have on this blog is the same reason why people do not come out of the closet and the same reason some people do not talk about their status.

I lived through the epidemic and lost friends. We never became as hateful as some of the words on this blog have done.

Some of you should be ashamed of yourself. I learned myself the hard way why some people are drug users, abused and made to feel small. I am certainly not one that "looks" the part but I understand it with compassion. I suggest that we all do the same. The world would be a better place.

Posted by: George | Feb 24, 2009 4:02:15 PM

23. Wow, some of you boys are just BITTER! And bored. I think the show is good. Some of those girls are really good. Nina Flowers is KICK ASS!

Posted by: JR | Feb 24, 2009 4:14:30 PM

24. Hey Ongina

Thanks for coming out once again. Finding out that you're positive is like discovering you're gay all over again. I'm in my early twenties, I have a masculine personality so nearly every week or month I come out of the gay closet. I was diagnosed with HIV in November. Not one friend or family member knows. Its another closet I'm not ready to step out of.

Thinking about the hard future that awaits me, the straights who see me as a diseased fag, and the so-called gay "community" who thinks I'm a young dumbass who deserves to die, every now and then I think about just ending it all. But I try keeping in mind all the successful people out there who are handling this disease, fighting it, living their lives, and soaring to heights most other people never reach.

Attention Whore? You're a drag queen! That is your job! Your job is to also personify inspiration. Thank you for doing what you were hired for. :)

Posted by: DCOMics | Feb 24, 2009 4:18:47 PM

25. DCOMICS

I do not wish you, Ongina or anyone should die. My posts were about the need for attention and using HIV as a path. While it is his choice, I found it tasteless and offensive, to the myself.

I have many friends who are HIV and have full blown AIDS who are still here for over 20 years. Do not give up hope. Be strong and reach out to your friends and family.

My sister is a Doctor who is doing research on those who survive cancer, and most of the findings are similar to my friends with AIDS. Those with a strong support group, survive longer.

I wish you and Ongina well.

Patrick NYC