Gay MN Senator Koering’s Office Sends Offensive Blanket Email:
Same-Sex Marriage a ‘Pointless Issue’

An aide to openly gay Minnesota senator Paul Koering has responded to letters about his recent decision not to support a marriage equality measure in the state with an offensive blanket email calling same-sex marriage a "pointless issue" that doesn't deserve the senator's time.

Towleroad reader Brendan Davis, who writes the blog Faces of Us, sent me this email exchange:

Koering
This was Davis' email to Koering's office:

Senator Paul Koering District 12
131 State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155-1206
Phone:651-296-4875 Brendan Davis
2/18/2009 2:44 PM

>>> Senator Koering, My name is Brendan Davis and I am a 21
year old gay male from Marietta, GA. I know what you're thinking: 'Why
does someone from Georgia care about our laws up here in Minnesota?!
Mind your own business!' I wish it were that easy. It is my firm belief
that members of the LGBT community should receive equal rights under
the law in ALL FIFTY states, and anytime something like the Marriage
and Family Protection Act is voted down, it hurts the entire community.
I understand that you may feel the need to vote with your party on
issues like this, but sometimes the opportunity comes up to tell young
kids who may be struggling with their sexuality that being gay is OK.
Telling them that you support their equal rights should they ever
decide to get married is one of those ways. As I'm sure you know from
experience, it's not always easy to grow up gay, and any way that you
can tell a kid that it's alright helps. Please reconsider your vote.

And this is the response Davis received:

"My name is Ken Swecker, Senator Koering's Legislative Assistant.

"Senator Koering and I both would like to respond to the e-mails we've been receiving regarding his intention to not vote in favor of Senate File 120. I am currently responding to the e-mails to give you the Senator's home phone number so that you might call him over the weekend and speak with him personally on the matter. This much he asked me to do. To add to that, as a personal statement, is to say that SF 120 is something that the majority of the People of Senate District 12, the People that he was elected to represent, do not favor this piece of legislation. In case you have forgotten, we are a government of the People, by the People, and for the People. He was not elected serve his personal interests.

"I personally believe that instead of sending e-mails full of threats and hateful words you should take his example to heart and congratulate him on being a legislator who cares more about what the People of his district want than what he may want personally. You and I both know that this is a rare quality to find, and just because this is contrary to how you wish for him to vote, you must remember and respect he is here to represent the interests of his rural Minnesota constituents who voted him into office. As a constituent of his myself, I am happy to see him take non-personal votes on several issues. After all, I would not want another politician taking another vote that would serve his or her personal interests more so than the People's, would you?

"I can testify all day long about how much Senator Koering cares for the People of Senate District 12. He ran three consecutive times, being defeated the first two, and why did he put himself through so much hard work? Do you think it was because he needed another job? Absolutely not! He did it because he believed he was the best person to serve the People that he calls neighbors, friends, and family. And especially now, in a time like this, we are being bogged down with this completely pointless issue. There are People in Morrison and Crow Wing Counties, and across the State who are losing their jobs, their homes, their insurance, and were you to ask them if this is an issue that should take one second of precedent over these conditions they're facing every day, do you believe, do you honestly believe that they would say to you, 'Yes, please, waste the time of the State Legislature with a piece of legislation that will not help, but in fact, overshadow the current situation we're living in? Please, waste their time with this piece of legislation while I tell my son and daughter that mom and dad aren't hungry tonight?'

"I know very well that you will respond to this e-mail of mine with some probably quirky, snide, and very thoughtless comment that will make me out to be a bad person and threaten the Senator even more just as most of the absolutely tactless and disrespectful e-mails we've received have been written, but really, don't waste your time. We'll just put your e-mail where it belongs, in the trash.

"The Senator's home number is 218-###-#### He's free on the weekends.

"Very Sincerely, every word of it, Ken Swecker

"P.S. I hope you do not believe that this e-mail was written specific to the one that you sent, this is a blanket e-mail, being sent to everyone who has e-mailed us on this issue and I've already wasted too much time in responding to you. Good day."

Others have received the letter as well.

Comments

1. Matt says

Wow. What an ass. You’d think they could at least come up with two form letters: One to reply to respectful emails, like Davis’, and one to reply to nasty emails.

2. jimmyboyo says

It seems to me that he was always like this and that he was FORCED out of the closet. Still living the closeted life because he would prefer to be back in the closet hating himself

3. says

Thanks for reminding me, JAMES!

CAPITOL OFFICE:

BUSINESS:
    Koering Delivery Service
    4625 County Road 121
    Fort Ripley, MN 56449
    Phone: 218-829-0587

4. White Label says

While I don’t agree with Koering and his staff, I understand representing his electorate. If the email ended there, it would have been fine. The post-script is unnecessary and inappropriate (as is “where it belongs, in the trash”). I’m surprised that this was thought to be an acceptable response to send to people.

5. JerzeeMike says

Thanks for the information, JOHNINMANHATTAN. Maybe instead of emails that can be more easily deleted we should print out the emails, stick a stamp on them, and inundate his offices with bags and bags of mail (shades of Miracle on 34th Street, I know).

6. GregV says

That response is absurd in its reasoning Voting aye for equal rights does not take a second more than voting nay, and equal and fair treatment for all families in his district is certainly not “pointless.“

When a kindergartener is in the hospital for an emergency appendectomy and needs his mom to come in and hold his hand, I`m sure he`ll see no logic in Koering`s view that she can be refused because letting the non bio mom in would have somehow “taken time away“ from some heterosexual in another town who just got laid off.

It is also so incredibly rude and obnoxious, that I have to wonder if this guy is for real. Did some juvenile delinquent sneak into the office and start sending e mails… I mean, if it is ascertained that this actually came from Koering`s office staff, the ignorance in that office is astounding.

7. says

“you must remember and respect he is here to represent the interests of his rural Minnesota constituents who voted him into office”

Someone email this self-loathing putz a copy of Burke’s Speech to the Electors of Bristol

8. ggreen says

The postscript was the sound of the Senators career ending. Responding to constituents is NEVER a waste of time for politicians (or at leas they should never admit it). The Office Fag that wrote that email should be fired immediately and new individual email replies should be issued to every email received. “Blanket email” usually means blanket insult. The Senator must not be too sharp if he thinks this is good for his re-election chances. What is up with his official portrait? Does he that it’s a flattering photo? Carb face with pursed lips- Liberace style.

9. MAJeff says

Welcome to the Minnesota Republican Party. The days of “reasonable” Republicans like Dave Durenburger or Arne Carlson ended years ago. Michelle Bachman and Ken Swecker are the rule, not the exception.

(former Minnesotan here)

10. Jim says

The aide and Mr.Koering missed a civics lesson along the way. Our elected officials (the representatives, as in representative democracy) have a responsibility to educate themselves on the issues and to lead. That’s the wisdom of the whole system – it eliminates mob rule (which is what a pure democracy is) and moves society forward. Think LBJ and civil rights. It is convenient for Koering to hide behind the prejudics of his constituents – otherwise he’d lose his Republican meal ticket. I wonder how that works out on dates – a gay guy with no balls.

11. bostonbeardad says

Ken Swisher needs to take a Business Writing class. It’s documents like this that bring any politician’s career to a flaming crash. And – maybe it’s me – but the tone of the comments about The Senator are so fawning and he’s so vehement about those who he sees as attacking him……it really sounds like Ken is sleeping with the Boss.

12. Jonathan says

When did our lawmakers forget that the United States is a Republic…NOT a democracy. If individual rights are up to the will of the majority then what’s the point of out constitution? The argument of respecting the views of constituents does not apply in matters of basic rights…period.

13. Tup says

In a “Majority Ruled” society, the “Minority” always loses. That’s the way this “racism” is perpetuated.

14. Tyler says

Wow, that is not the kind of email that should be coming out of a politician’s office, no matter the “hateful” emails that might be going in. Koering should fire that aide ASAP, at least for his own career.

15. says

I agree with Jim, Jonathan, and Tup.

What’s the point of electing people at all? By his logic, there’s no reason for him to have his job. Let the people vote on everything and the tally — which could be done by a machine — determines the vote. No brain needed! (QED)

16. Welah says

Government by the people, for the people means government by ALL the people, for ALL the people. Not the majority; ALL people.

Just because the majority of your constituents are bigots does not mean you should be one as well; just the opposite: you must represent the minority at all costs. You need to act and vote in a way that is just to *every person* in your district – even if they are completely alone. A single person is still a person and deserves his or her rights.

…Of course, that’s not a good way to get re-elected, is it?

17. alex in boston says

If the Senator represents ONLY those whom he sees as his constituents and makes no attempt to educate them and move his district into an age of enlightened reason then he has failed as a politician, as a man of reason and unfortunately as a Gay man! Obviously his district elected him as a gay man, and as such perhaps they are more enlightened then he believes. Or was he forced out after his election? His aide needs a lesson in speech writing and perhaps some sensitivity training!

18. MAJeff says

Or was he forced out after his election?

He came out in 2005. He’s been re-elected twice since then (Senators in MN are up for election every 2 years).

19. David D. says

Forward the reply to Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann and The Daily Show. They may have something to say about it.

20. 1♥ says

It’s obvious from Ken Swecker’s letter that he and Senator Koering do not believe that Gays should count has people. Of course this should be no surprise as they are aligned with the Republican Party that does not count Gays as human beings.

21. anon says

Of course, Prop 8 supporters thought that their issue was very important last fall when we were having crises des journees. In a sense, though, Obama is telling us the same thing re DADT and DOMA.

22. noteasilyoffended says

Is this guy serious? No, really. Seriously. Is this guy serious?

I can understand the concept of representing constituents. I can. BUT, an elected official must be able to multi-task. It is a requirement. He must be able to understand and manage and lead and officiate. It’s pretty obvious this State Senator cannot or will not do so.

My suggestion would be that the Senator could consider forming meetings of his constituents to explain how the legislation regarding equal rights affects some (about 10%) of their fellow community members and how the legislation is in no way going to take away or harm the rights held my straight Minnesotans. That would be LEADING! How busy is this guy? I mean, if he has time to chat on the phone all weekend, shouldn’t he have time to LEAD and live up the requirements of his office?

Gotta love it….a gay representatives who allows his own constituents to make himself a second class citizen.

23. Jersey says

I got that email this morning, too. My initial email to him was also very respectful just saying I wish he’d reconsider his stance and how it would be an opportunity to show leadership. I did send back a reply full of cussing and ill wishes. The guy’s phone # is 218-829-0544 since he asked to be called I see no reason to redact it.

24. MAJeff says

Something tells me Koering is going to be getting a new phone number soon. I don’t think he has any idea what he’s gotten himself into.

25. JohnInManhattan says

April 14, 2005

How a Republican state legislator decided to come out.

On Mar. 31, blogACTIVE.com’s Mike Rogers placed a call to Minnesota state senator Paul Koering.

“He called my office and told my assistant that he was a reporter from Washington and wanted to talk to me about my video voyeurism bill,” Koering says.

The voyeurism bill the senator authored sought to increase fines for those videotaped or recorded without their consent. The bill had caught Rogers’ eye after he received photographs of Koering at a gay bar earlier that week.

“I thought, a lot of people are sending me information on this guy, maybe I ought to take a look,” Rogers says. Rogers is editor of RawStoryQ, an editorially independent franchise site of Raw Story Media, and runs blogACTIVE.com, a site which reports on what he believes is hypocrisy of political figures.

“When I saw that it was a person from Washington I was very excited,” Koering recalls. “I immediately thought: national news on this bill.”

“I started to explain to him about the bill, what the intent was,” he continues. “He proceeded to tell me, under your bill, if I said I had some pictures of you at Bang, a gay bar… would that be illegal?”

FULL ARTICLE HERE…

26. guttersnipe.76 says

As a former Minnesotan and with friends and family in that part of the state, I take real offense to his claim of representing his constituents. In no way can any legislator represent ALL of his/her constituents. So it is a manner of self-selection that leads to decision-making. Are ALL of his decisions based solely on that of the majority? I bet if we went through his votes in the senate we would find differently.

There is also a responsibility of legislators to not only take into consideration the elimination of rights of the minority and to vote accordingly, but to also EDUCATE their constituents about the real underlying factors of political decisions. Is this Senator housing educational sessions on the legislation at hand? What are his metrics for understanding what his constituency really believes?

Last, I find offensive, as many do here, the statement that this is a “pointless issue”. This is a civil rights issue. It carries as much weight losing jobs, housing, and insurance. And if you can’t multi-task why the f— are you a Senator?

27. Joe says

Providing the phone number right before the comment that the senator’s free on weekends sounds somewhat like a proposition! And the entire letter is terribly written, style, content, tone…just terrible.

28. JamesR says

That letter (Brandon Davis’s) is one of the nicest respectful but firm and to-the-point letters of it’s kind I have ever seen. Keep it up! And Thank You. One never regrets being appropriately polite and also real and true. The other letter is the reverse! How could that staffer become so bitter and without-sense and without-class so soon into his career. I suggest a career change. And some education, as it’s been pointed out above in previous comments but cannot be repeated enough: we live in a REPUBLIC. A democratic republic, but NOT a democracy. For good or ill the people get to elect representatives to legislate on behalf of EVERYONE and to use their judgment, as is known by the district and endorsed by it via election. Two terms (and a coming out before the second) and the voters in that district know their representatives judgment. None serves any district well who punts responsibility backwards to finger-in-the-wind polling of current mood regarding important legislation. What a disappointment. If HE does not believe in the legislation then he should just say so end of story. “Representing the will of his district” implying that his and theirs are different is cowardly weasel-speak, all apologies to actual weasels. I prefer an honest enemy than a fair weather friend.

29. gayalltheway says

What’s the point of becoming a politician if you don’t have the slightest intention to at least pursue your own agenda (that will be beneficent to the community you represent, and in his case, his constituents and ALSO the LGBT community)? If he is so fervently oppose to the idea of granting basic rights to the LGBT community, then he should not identify himself as “openly gay Minnesota senator Paul Koering”. How about “only-gay-when-it- is-convenient-to-him MN senator Paul Koering”?

“After all, I would not want another politician taking another vote that would serve his or her personal interests more so than the People’s, would you?” — ‘We’ are part of the People too, dumbass. It’s about doing the right thing for and standing up against discrimination and inequality. I don’t think Brendan Davis suggested, in his letter, even the slightest idea that Koering should reconsider his vote because he is gay except for when he said “As I’m sure you know from experience, it’s not always easy to grow up gay, and any way that you can tell a kid that it’s alright helps” which I think is the exact truth.

30. Nicholas says

While Senator Koering may be voting in line with his constituents, he is not necessarily voting in a constitutional manner. Yes, he is in congress to represent the majority that elected him, but the United States Constitution inherently protects the rights of the minority.

“No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

…i must have missed the part where it says “unless that person is gay.”

As far as the issue being a “waste of time,” I agree with Ken Swecker. Equal rights are guaranteed to all citizens; therefore I do not see why we are even discussing whether or not two citizens can marry. The real discussion should be over why citizens of our country believe in equality unless it threatens their personal “right” to be biggots.

31. Zeke says

I sent a very thoughtful and respectful email to State Senator Koering and got the same pissy, nasty response that others did.

JAMES WITHERS, why should the telephone numbers be redacted? It’s not like someone went and dug up the phone numbers and then published them, KOERINGS office SENT it to hundreds?/thousands? of us as a part of the offensive email response. They clearly wanted to hear from us.

I hope Koering is outraged by the behavior of Mr. Swecker. Such behavior is ENTIRELY unacceptable from the office of an elected official REGARDLESS of the tone of correspondence he receives from citizens and constituents. This is a respected office OF THE PEOPLE not a nursery school playground.

32. says

There you go, Minnesota. Since having the right to protect your family and children is “a Pointless Issue”, I think feeling ANY obligation to pay your taxes is also “a Pointless Issue”. No sugar-coating here – your loved ones are worthless in the eyes of the law. If that’s OK, pay up April 15th.

33. tommy says

Uh oh. I see a very short career for Mr Swecker. You messed up big time! Next time, read very carefully any email that will be made public. But it is nice to see EXACTLY where you and your boss stand on equality.

34. Henry Holland says

Jesus’ General nails it, as usual:

“The state does face bigger problems than providing equal protection to all of its citizens, and you are sponsoring bills to address those problems.

Take SR15 for instance. Nothing is more important to the well-being of the citizens of Minnesota than passing your resolution honoring Mary J. Brenny. She owned both her town’s ambulance service and mortuary, thus providing one stop service to the good citizens of Morrison County. You have to honor that kind of service.

The same holds true for SF3557. If you don’t make English the official language, the brown people win. The whole state would be speaking Mexican and eating spicy foods by 2015. These are both important bills. Thank God you had the courage to vote against marriage equality so you could devote more energy to their passage.”

Great, he’s hopped on the “English only” bandwagon too. Wingnuts…….

35. Blore224 says

As a resident of Minnesota and a proud member of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, I have to tell you that, unfortunately, MAJEFF is correct: Koering’s actions are reflective of the drop-in-the-bucket status of the Minnesota Republican Party. So routed were the Republicans in 2006 and 2008 that they control 21 seats in the 67-seat state senate and 41 seats in the 134-seat state house. Since they’re very nearly irrelevant, they’ve moved away from the sensible, environmental Republicanism of somewhat like Arne Carlson and toward the hyperpartisan attitudes of Michele Bachmann.

This can especially be said of the Senate Republican Caucus where Ken Swecker currently wallows. The Caucus, which comprises every assistant and legislative aide, has become so wed to ideology that individual senators and representatives have little say in who is actually assigned to work for them. One thing is certain though — Swecker has passed the litmus test, and unfortunately, his actions are par for the course.

Koering has stood for re-election once since he came out in 2005. The campaign in which he was involved was, without hyperbole, the ugliest and most anti-gay exercise I’ve ever seen. The primary challenger who crawled out of the mud to face him took no shame in comparing him to a pedophile, a sexual deviant, and a pervert. Koering was re-elected in 2006 due, in no small part, to the number of progressive Democrats who crossed party lines to vote for him and to the fact that the Democrats ran a comically weak candidate. Koering has since been a reliable vote for many DFL-backed initiatives. With this most recent stunt, though, I doubt the DFL Party is going to be as kind during the 2010 cycle.

If any of y’all are interested in sending along some good wishes to the people who have spearheaded the bill, you might write State Senator John Marty or State Representative Phyllis Kahn. I spoke with Senator Marty, who is running for governor, a week ago, and I can tell you that he’s a tireless advocate for the rights of LGBT people and others.

JOHN MARTY
    75 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
    Capitol Building, Room 328
    St. Paul, MN 55155-1606
    651.296.5645

PHYLLIS KAHN
    rep.phyllis.kahn@house.mn

36. Robert says

I have a really hard time believing a seasoned politician condonded this kind of asinine response. Has anybody verified that this actually originated from the Senator’s office? Is it possible the Senator is not aware of it, and the aide went nuts on folks without his permission?

37. anne says

I’m so speechless right now that the only response is “prick”. Unbelievable. I suppose if his district wanted him to support KKK rallys then THAT would be just doing his job as he was elected?

By all means, forward to the above mentioned people, who will give it the attention it so richly, and karmically, I might add, deserves.

I’ll hopefully articulate a bit better when my blood pressure drops.

Damn…prick indeed.

38. says

I imagine news outlets like the Today Show would have a field day with something like this. They’d love to bring the Senator on for a public grilling.

If anyone knows a contact that would get the story past the gatekeepers and into the hands of producers or other decision makers, please send this to them.

39. says

LMAO!

I’m from Vegas, let’s take bets:
    Days until this aide is fired?
    Days until the rep issues a”heartfelt’ apology?

I would NEVER allow a subordinate to send ANYONE a snarky letter like this with my name attached to it on any subject.

I too must wonder if the writer has such a(n) (unspoken) connection to the rep that he felt he could get away with such a “tone” in official correspondence.

One more bet:

Days after the aide resigns until the ensuing sexual scandal erupts?

40. Bill Perdue says

So he has the same position as Obama and the Democrats. We’ve known that for a long time. They’re all bigots. What the big news here.

41. Sean says

My letter to Paul Koering this afternoon:

Hello,

I had recently read development whereby you are refusing to support same-sex marriage because the state of Minnesota has more important items on the agenda. Many upset gay people are sending emails to you regarding your stance, and your assistant is replying to these emails with a rather-poor letter that describes this issue of gay marriage as pointless.

I can understand the argument that there may be more important matters to tend to than gay marriage, such as the economy and military action; however, I believe that no matter should be left completely ignored or discarded, as the entire ship is important at all times, and we must never lose sight of the big picture in the face of our crises. President Barack Obama signed the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 just nine days after assuming office, while he has been spending the plurality/majority of his time focusing on the economy.

I do understand that you represent constituents who are conservative and may not agree with gay marriage. At the same time, though, you were sworn above all to uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States and the state Constitution of Minnesota, and I would think that this takes the highest priority over all.

Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution states the following:

“All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

The State Constitution of Minnesota starts with Article I, Section 1:

“Government is instituted for the security, benefit and protection of the people, in whom all political power is inherent, together with the right to alter, modify or reform government whenever required by the public good.”

To me, and I would hope to you as well, gay people are deserving of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, and gay marriage is an appropriate means to achieving such things as straight marriage has been for straight people over the last two centuries. Gay people are also deserving of security, benefit and protection from the Government, and such things are achieved through marriage, whether gay or straight. I know you are gay, and I know you are deserving of all of these things, like everyone else is, and I especially know that you can personally relate to the struggle that many gay people face from marriage discrimination. Our Constitutions are meant to protect everyone, including you and me, and even though you serve a constituency that more or less may be of a certain mindset, that should never overrule the laws of the Constitutions that you are sworn to uphold and protect, for yourself and everyone else.

I am disappointed as to how any person considers gay marriage to be pointless, and I am confused as to how an openly-gay person considers gay marriage to be pointless. If gay people are not legally allowed to marry the ones that they love, then these rights are being denied to them, and that is unconstitutional. I can tell you that the majority of gay citizens in America do believe in being able to legally marry the ones that they love, and they don’t consider this issue to be pointless. After all, it’s their very lives that they want to live, and there is nothing more important than being able to live one’s life, as you would like to live your life, and as I would like to live my life.

As you continue to serve your term as State Senator of Minnesota, I hope that you reflect on what is right, just and fair, not just the majority mindset of a particular constituency but to all of us, including you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope that any response that I may receive is thoughtful and respectful in return.

Regards,
    Sean Chapin

42. Grego says

Using this slug’s logic, slavery would be legal, inter-racial marriage wouldn’t, and women wouldn’t be allowed to vote in 2009 – after all, THAT was the will of the majority until the courts stepped in.

what a self-loathing excuse for a human being. I don’t know whether to feel sorry for him or hope that karma catches him between the eyes.

43. nic says

clearly, KOERING misunderstands his role as an elected official. that fat-faced, self-satified, faggot pig, would rather embrace the more base sentiments of his party. the fact that he has a fuck buddy by the name of Ken Swecker who dismisses criticism in the most pissy (prissy?) way just proves it.

where do i send money to bury his fat ass?

44. Ted says

Nasty beotch out there in MN. If anyone who works for me spoke to a client or subordinate like that I would fire them.

45. Robert M says

Dear Senator Koering:

I applaud you for being an openly gay public servant in MN. Further, I applaud you for seemingly representing your District 12 constitueny so well.

I can tell you that I, a Pennsylvanian, who has no legal protections whatsoever and no right to marry, the issue is crucial to me. Representing your constituency within the provisions of the MN Constitution however, is critical. If the Constitution calls for equality, etc. then it is your duty to uphold the rights of the minority in order to protect them from the tyranny of the majority. Simply put, it is likely that your constituents oppose gay marriage in MN based on opinion rather than Constitutional grounds.

The issue that is of great importance to me today is the lack of the command of the English language, the inability to screen out opinion and words of polarization, and to insult the people who have written to you about the matter. Evidently, Ken Swecker, your legislative assistant has no background in tactful writing nor in responding, even in a blanket email, with reasonable respect for the writers. I am sure that there were many emails sent that were done so in anger–yet, your assistant may not respond to them in the same manner. His response is your response and he has done you a great deal of harm. I call for his immediate termination as your legislative assistant. His homophobic comments should be an outrage, especially to you.

46. Justin says

I just e-mailed him. I’m not in his district, but as a Minnesota citizen, I feel I have some right to contact him.

~~~

Dear Sen. Koering,

Standing up for full and equal citizen’s rights is never a waste of time.

I hope you do not believe you are the only gay person in your district? If you don’t, then if you voted to support the Marriage and Family Protection Act, you wouldn’t be representing yourself. You’d be representing all the GLBT constituents in your district.

Furthermore, it is you who are wasting our time by making us wait another session, another election, or another revolt, before same-sex marriage is brought to Minnesota. Please think about that. If you truly care about time management, then quickly vote yes on this measure on move on with business. It can’t take that long to vote yes, can it?

Your main concern is the economy, and I applaud that, truly, I do. But I know you don’t believe that it’s only your heterosexual constituents who are suffering. By allowing gay marriage, you alleviate the suffering of thousands of couples in Minnesota.

I hope I have not wasted your time by sending you this e-mail, and I mean every word, sincerely.

Signed,
    -J.

47. says

Saw the first part of this over at Huffington. What a strange email reply! I also have to wonder why on earth would the assistant give out the senator’s home phone number.

48. Justin says

SO… WHERE’S our apology? Best I can tell, “Monday” came and went. Not a peep can I find about an apology from this bozo. (read: “I’ll say anything to make you shut up and go away — even say I’ll have my assistant apologize.”)