Charlie Herschel | News | Reality TV | Spencer Duhm

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Survivor Contestant Spencer Duhm Glad He Doesn't Sound Gay

Spencer

In an interview with Reality Blurred, gay 19-year-old Survivor Tocantins contestant Spencer Duhm expresses embarrassment over last season's gay contestant Charlie Herschel and the 'bromance' he had with fellow straight contestant Marcus (a friendship which Charlie has claimed the show's producers edited to heighten romantically).

Survivor10Says Spencer of Charlie: "First of all, I'm not crushin on Marcus. I understand, first of all, you can do whatever you want, but, have a little discretion, he's straight. Like, leave the man alone. Ugh. It just baffles me. Every time he opens his mouth it's just like 'I love Marcus, Marcus is great. I feel protective when he's around. I feel nervous when he's not around.' It's kind of like alright you have a serious crush on him. This isn't jokin. Stop. Just stop. I'm embarrassed for him. I know he's gotta be sitting at home embarrassed, red-faced."

In the same interview, Duhm thanks God that he's straight-acting and that his voice doesn't sound like a gay man's:

"I don’t like come across like most of the gay guys but I am, so I’ll probably be like—but then again, JP was gay and nobody knew that on the show; he was about the straightest I’ve ever seen. … But I won’t be Todd, I surely won’t be Coby. I won’t be Charlie. Holy shit. I talked to my parents and I was like, ‘Mom, do I sound like that?’ she was like, ‘Sweetheart, no, I would never let you go out in public if you sounded like that.’ Thank God."

Watch an unrelated clip of Spencer giving straight talk to fellow contestant Sandy from last night's premiere, AFTER THE JUMP...

Spencer Duhm: 'I want to be a follower, because that way they just overlook me'" [reality blurred]

Previously
Meet Survivor: Tocantins Gay Competitor, Spencer Duhm [tr]

Comments

1. Is she somehow unaware she has a raging case of gay face?

Posted by: 24play | Feb 13, 2009 11:23:21 AM

2. geez, what a looser. hes GAY GAY GAY. straight sounding my ass. its so damn annoying to hear that type of logic. and of the bromance, it was a two way street for those two and god bless them for finding friendship in an unconventional way.

he needs to stop yapping his trap.

Posted by: sogay | Feb 13, 2009 11:28:36 AM

3. Good for him. Im 100% gay but dont look or sound it in the least and find campness a major turn off.

Posted by: Rovex | Feb 13, 2009 11:29:42 AM

4. I *don't* think he Spencer seems as stereotypical as the typical gay character Survivor casting usually gives us, and I'm grateful for that. The fact is, there are as many different types of gay guys as there are straight guys, and I don't appreciate that reality show casting always seems to give us the hyper-effeminate gay man.

Plus, the guy's 19. Give him a break. We all thought we knew ourselves and had the world totally figured out at that age.

Posted by: Mark in Portland | Feb 13, 2009 11:31:17 AM

5. Oh, yeah. Marcus drove me crazy, too. He was ridiculous on many levels.

Posted by: Mark in Portland | Feb 13, 2009 11:32:55 AM

6. So, he'd prefer to be a raging idiot who can't help but use the word "like" a million times in a paragraph, and repeats himself in close proximity? No matter how he says, I think we all know instinctively that his last name is a homophone for "dumb," and that it fits.

Posted by: A | Feb 13, 2009 11:32:58 AM

7. What's wrong of "being gay" and "sound gay" ???

Posted by: Sean | Feb 13, 2009 11:33:10 AM

8. He may not sound gay, but he definitely sounds like an asshole.

Posted by: JJ | Feb 13, 2009 11:33:16 AM

9. I remember when I was 19 and I said a lot of stupid things that I later regretted. (I remember at one point bragging about how I had a straight-acting boyfriend.) This falls into that category with Spencer.

Posted by: seattle mike | Feb 13, 2009 11:33:42 AM

10. I don't know about sounding like it, but his words read as super gay.

Posted by: Henry | Feb 13, 2009 11:36:14 AM

11. If I wanted to "act straight" I'd sleep with women.

Posted by: MAJeff | Feb 13, 2009 11:36:23 AM

12. Jeez, even his mother comes off gay. What an ass.

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 13, 2009 11:37:19 AM

13. Are we seriously still talking about 'straight-acting' or 'gay-acting'? How stupid.

Posted by: wetcnt | Feb 13, 2009 11:37:36 AM

14. He's 19.... I said that kind of stuff when I was his age, too. He'll learn after a little therapy to UNlearn what Mom has clearly taught him...

Posted by: Matt | Feb 13, 2009 11:38:20 AM

15. This queen has GOT to be kidding! He better take a look at that clip again. I expected him to say "Girlfriend!" any minute!

DUHM-ass!

Posted by: Q | Feb 13, 2009 11:39:44 AM

16. I am disappointed by this. Straight people shouldn't hate on gay people because we're different, but it is ok for gays to hate on the fems because their behavior falls outside of whatever norms. If you don't want to date anyone effeminate-- ok. But can we please not substitute one form of oppression over another.

Posted by: Brandon | Feb 13, 2009 11:40:25 AM

17. People still say "straight acting?"

It amazes me the amount of shame and hateration that gay men throw upon themselves and others.

And someone should put a cork in his mom's mouth. SHE shouldn't be let out in public making asinine statements like that.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 13, 2009 11:41:17 AM

18. Cut the kid some slack. He's only 19 and to be totally honest Survivor has has a horrible track record when it comes to casting sterotypes.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 13, 2009 11:42:11 AM

19. he's a total ass, and yes with "gay face" and "gay sign language" (stop waving your hands mr masculinity)

Oh the tragedy of today's gays...as if being "masculine" makes you a better homo...

masculinity means nothing, you can still lose your job, etc, etc, etc for being gay

Posted by: qjersey | Feb 13, 2009 11:43:22 AM

20. He's not a kid, he's 19. Someone should tell the schmuck that it was a bunch of drag queens that fought the cops in Stonewall that made it possible for his sorry ass to have the freedom to be out.

As for his Mother, it is clear where he learned to be so self hating. Stupid bitch.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 13, 2009 11:49:11 AM

21. Wow, kid, like you just threw yourself under the bus.

Like, shut up dude.

I wish when I was 19 I hadn't said a lot of stupid shit, but, like, I wasn't on TV saying it so it didn't come back to like haunt me.

I think Mom sounds like a peach. She like basically like said she'd feel like differently about him if he were, like (even more) effeminate.

Like, how sad is that?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 13, 2009 11:52:08 AM

22. What a dope.

Posted by: michael | Feb 13, 2009 11:55:08 AM

23. I've got news for you, Spencer, you most definitely sound gay. But who the fuck cares? You're gay. If you want to land a woman, by all means, butch it up.

More than gay or straight, you come across as an asshole. You might want to work on that first.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Feb 13, 2009 11:57:48 AM

24. Just another example of the damage done to our community by the years of hateful bigotry by society at large. It's slowing changing, but not fast enough!

Posted by: Mike | Feb 13, 2009 11:58:53 AM

25. Just another example of the damage done to our community by the years of hateful bigotry by society at large. It's slowing changing, but not fast enough!

Posted by: Mike | Feb 13, 2009 11:59:37 AM