Colorado | Colorado Springs | Evangelical Christians | JAmes Dobson | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

James Dobson Resigns Chairmanship of 'Focus on the Family'

James Dobson, who stepped down as president and CEO of the Colorado Springs-based anti-gay group Focus on the Family six years ago, has resigned as chairman, the AP reports:

Dobson"Dobson notified the board of his decision Wednesday, and the 950 employees of the Colorado Springs, Colo.-based ministry were informed Friday morning at a monthly worship service, said Jim Daly, the group's president and chief executive officer. Dobson, 72, will continue to host Focus on the Family's flagship radio program, write a monthly newsletter and speak out on moral issues, Daly said. Dobson's resignation as board chairman 'lessens his administrative burden' and is the latest step in a succession plan, the group said."

Said Dobson: "One of the common errors of founder-presidents is to hold to the reins of leadership too long, thereby preventing the next generation from being prepared for executive authority, though letting go is difficult after three decades of intensive labor, it is the wise thing to do."

GLAAD President Neil Giuliano released a statement in response to the news: "For more than 20 years, James Dobson has used his expansive, well-funded media platform to promote defamatory and false information about the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. As Dobson resigns from his role as chairman, it is important to remember his history of false and defamatory claims about our community. GLAAD urges the media to not allow Dobson to turn today's news into yet another media platform for him to advance his intolerant divisive attacks on gay and lesbian Americans and their families."

Comments

1. Good riddance douche.

Posted by: Tintin Malfoy | Feb 27, 2009 2:23:36 PM

2. The less jobs this hateful and unChristian man holds the better.

Posted by: Strepsi | Feb 27, 2009 2:25:14 PM

3. 3 decades of hate,intolerance and religious bullshit! Hopefully once these old dinosaurs disappear into the hell they so rightfully deserve the younger generation can take the reins and actually do some good in the world.

Posted by: SFshawns | Feb 27, 2009 2:25:52 PM

4. Wow. I never thought we'd see the day. I first became aware of this hater's rhetoric as a teen. 20 years later, I really appreciate how supportive my family and friends were. I hope FOTF ends their hateful campaigning as well, for the sake of kids who DON'T have such supportive families.

Posted by: Brian Brady | Feb 27, 2009 2:57:40 PM

5. One can only hope it is because he has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness and wants to spend this last month with his family.

FUCK YOU JAMES DIPSHIT! Go join your buddy Jesse in HELL!

Posted by: Marc | Feb 27, 2009 3:19:12 PM

6. "One of the common errors of founder-presidents is to hold to the reins of leadership too long, thereby preventing the next generation from climbing on the goat of hatred and fucking it like the skanky whore it is," Dobson said in a statement. "... Though letting go is difficult after three decades of pathological hatred, it is the wise thing to do. Which is pretty ironic when you think about it because being consumed by pathological hatred is actually totally retarded."

Posted by: Jake | Feb 27, 2009 3:40:27 PM

7. I'm glad people are posting about this. The sentiment seems to be the same in all the pages I've read so far. I posted, too. :)
    Dobson is Done

Posted by: deb | Feb 27, 2009 6:28:12 PM

8. Well, its not over yet. Who's the next hatemonger who will be taking over the reigns. I'm sure Dobson himself has chosen someone who holds identical views he does.

Funny how this is coming off a failed attempt by FOTF to try to stop gay marriage recognition in Wyoming.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Feb 27, 2009 7:31:02 PM

9. Also they should just call themself Focus on the Faggots. That's all they seem to do anymore anyway.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Feb 27, 2009 7:31:46 PM

10. Hmm, sounds like someone distancing themselves before a scandal breaks. Is someone's rent boy getting ready to sing?

Posted by: ichabod | Feb 27, 2009 7:36:34 PM

11. So you just stepped behind the curtain you Mother F.... FU you ASSHOLE BIGOT. Do you even read this blog? If you did you would see the daily BLOOD and it's on your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The day you die we will celebrate like never before. May your replacement ROT IN HELL also. I wrote Falwell the same sentiment only a month before we got the BIG NEWS. May this be the same!!!!!!!!!!
    Christians my ASS!

Posted by: castaway | Feb 27, 2009 7:44:58 PM

12. They'll be lining up like pigs at the trough to replace him. There's never a shortage opportunist hustlers and sky pilots ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gL3HTlfW0A ) trying to make a killing off someone’s back.

People like Dobson are as much our enemies as those as who say 'gawwds in the mix.’ Just not as powerful.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Feb 27, 2009 8:18:40 PM

13. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Since Prop H8 I have become very heterophobic and totally un-shy about saying so and acting so. And it is because of people like him that I feel this way.

The FBI needs to be spying on these groups just like they spied on the KKK in the 1960s.

Posted by: Attmay | Feb 27, 2009 9:38:05 PM

14. They are only making room for a younger face. It seems the election of President Obama has all the kooks on the lunatic fringe scouring the land for the three or four under 60 years old people who actually voted Republican in November.

This is being echoed in the ranks of the conservative wing of the Republican Party where they have just suffered the humiliation of the Indian Sarah Palin in Louisiana. Their great brown hope just choked on national television.

The only thing sadder than a man whose time has come and gone is an entire movement.

Posted by: Rain | Feb 28, 2009 6:26:13 PM

15. Who's taking his place?

I'm inclined to say "better the devil you know" here, but I'm not sure if anyone could be more of a devil than Dobson.

Posted by: Brock | Feb 28, 2009 10:58:04 PM

16. I note that the news crawl on Fox last night said that Dobson had led a "conservative and moral movement". Fuck Fox, Rupert Murdoch and this Dobson asshole. They don't get to decide what is moral. They should change the name of the group to "Focus on the Fact that there is only one way to live and its our way and the rest of you can die".

Posted by: Ted | Mar 1, 2009 12:17:06 AM

17. Indeed James Dobson does not get to decide what is moral, in the sense of making up the moral rules for the rest of us. But there is an objective moral law, laid down by our Creator for our own benefit, and I am among those who have reluctantly come around to the view that Dobson is generally correct about it.

Jesus said, "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life." God desires our company but respects our free will enough to allow us to choose separation from him. Ted, if you want to interpret that as a callous and dismissive "The rest of you can die," well, I don't think you truly understand the alternatives open to you. I sure didn't.

Posted by: The Sheepcat | Mar 1, 2009 4:01:28 PM

18. Sheepcat. Are you serious? Soooo anyone not raised in the Christian faith and who does not accept Jesus is wrong and chooses to live separate from your white god? (the indigenous people of the world, Hindus, Buddhists, Jewish, Muslims, etc?) Dobson speaks for all the worlds people and has the 'direct line' to what god wants/expects? Give me a break.

He has twisted an already twisted faith to suit his needs. He's an opportunist. Nothing "christian" about his "Do as I say, not as I do" approach. Just like Ted Haggart, just like Jimmy Swagart, just like any christian hypocrite.

Posted by: Tom@NWOH | Mar 2, 2009 8:01:43 AM

19. Tom@NWOH,
    Yes, I am indeed serious, but please don't put words into my mouth. Far from condemning everyone who lacks the benefit of a Christian upbringing, I hold as true what the Catholic Church teaches on the matter:
    "Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation." (Catechism of the Catholic Church 847)

As for my "white god," while Jesus took the human form of a Jewish man, the other persons of the Holy Trinity are pure spirit without bodies. Racism is a sin (CCC 1935). So I don't know what you're getting at.

As for hypocrisy, I've been bitter and angry myself, angry at both real and imagined failures of Christian leaders to live up to their calling. (I came out in the 1980s, so it was Jerry Falwell I loved to hate.) Most of all, though, I was angry at Christians for reminding me that I actually have a choice about how I use my body, that I need not allow my sexual urges to override my God-given capacity for reason about the purpose for which our sexual organs were created. I resented that reminder. Once I heeded the reminder, I found that my own shortcomings were plenty to occupy my attention, and that it wasn't worth getting bent out of shape about Falwell's or whoever else's.

You say Dobson's an opportunist. It's a funny kind of opportunism that drives someone to say things that make millions of people think he's an dinosaur and an idiot. Rather, I'd say that the words of noted atheist Penn Jillette explain Dobson's motivation pretty well, that Dobson cares too much about people to worry about how unpopular he's making himself.
    "If you believe that there's a heaven and hell, and that people could be
    going to hell or not getting eternal life or whatever, and you think that
    it's not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially
    awkward - and atheists who think that people shouldn't proselytise 'just
    leave me alone, keep your religion to yourself,' - how much do you have to
    hate somebody to not proselytise?"

Posted by: The Sheepcat | Mar 3, 2009 2:15:29 AM

20. Sheepcat...I am proud of ya for quoting from the Catholic Church. The same church that hides child molesters. The same church that denies women any position within its ranks. The same church that denies people sexual pleasure as a way of being closer with god. I wouldn't expect any less from someone so blinded by what they, or anyone sees as the "One True Faith" The only way to salvation and 'knowing god'. These are MEN writing what they believe is divine teachings. If they write that being black, or bald, tall or short is a sin does it mean it is so? It is this blinding, unquestioning believe that is the cause of so much of the worldwide problems. What makes you so sure the Catholic Church is THEE way? I bet there are those that worship at a mosque that swear their god and faith is the ONLY path. Can't you see the irony here?

Do you ever read about the history of your faith?(From outside your faith's teaching)? Do you not see how Man has twisted and manipulated it through the ages? Or for that matter, even made it up? It has been used to preach against race, color, creed, inter-faith marriage, inter-racial marriage and of course, homosexuality. And look at you. You end up being angry at yourself because your god rejects you.

I am not an atheist. I believe there is a spiritual, higher connection we all share--a greater purpose. The only difference is I don't see this higher calling as some sky god (or trinity) that required us to be obedient, subservient beings. I don't see him/her as giving us challenges to overcome (being gay, black, Hindu, etc) in order to know his/ber love and/or forgiveness. That is putting a "humanistic" spin on it. Making him/her a parental figurehead that we must please. Rubbish. Childish and Spiritually Retarded.

For far too long we have allowed an ancient believe system to divide us as a species. It was great when Man didn't have science--when we thought the world as flat, and god punished us with plagues and famine. It is time our spiritual understanding catches up to our scientific understanding and leave the fairy tales behind.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it [or because it has] been handed down for many generations [or] because it is found written in your religious books [or] merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason, and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, accept it and live up to it. Doubt everything. Find your own light". BUDDHA.

Posted by: Tom@NWOH | Mar 4, 2009 2:13:25 PM

21. We point the finger at Dobson and explain how corrupted Christianity's doctrines are to us but are we able to point out how equally corrupted Liberal agendas are that promote gay marriages? That a lot of the realities of same sex relationships reveal an equal amount of hypocrisy that we refuse to acknowledge. Realities that have caused pain and suffering because we have relied on reason that justifies our own self-centered consensus.

Posted by: John Doe | Mar 22, 2009 4:48:51 PM