News | Ruth Bader Ginsburg | Supreme Court

BigGayDeal.com

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Surgery for Pancreatic Cancer

RuthbaderginsburgSupreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hads surgery for early-stage pancreatic cancer today, the Court is reporting:

"U. S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg had surgery for an apparently early-stage pancreatic cancer today, at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. According to Dr. Murray Brennan, the attending surgeon, Justice Ginsburg will likely remain in the hospital approximately 7-10 days. Justice Ginsburg had no symptoms prior to the incidental discovery of the lesion during a routine annual check-up in late January at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. A Computerized Axial Tomography (CAT) Scan revealed a small tumor, approximately 1 cm across, in the center of the pancreas. Justice Ginsburg is 75 years old. She was appointed to the Court in 1993 by President Clinton."

Based on her votes, Ginsburg is considered one of the Court's more liberal justices.

Watch CNN's breaking news report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't agree with her on everything, but she is a smart, classy lady and definitely a friend of our community. Thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family. Pancreatic cancer can be very unpleant.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Feb 5, 2009 1:38:04 PM

2. I second your comments, GAYREPUBLICAN--except that I do agree with her on everything. I'm sure she'd appreciate your thoughts and prayers and mine too. She's a great scholar, a great jurist, and a great human.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 5, 2009 1:50:10 PM

3. This is terribly sad. This is it for her. I enjoy her take on feminist jurisprudence, and know she's one of the smartest "guys" in the room. Sad.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 5, 2009 1:51:03 PM

4. This is very sad news. Generally speaking, pancreatic cancer patients have a very small percentage of recovery. Steve Jobs is currently experiencing health issues after having a successful WHIPPLE, and five years later it seems Jobs' health isn't fairing well.

My thoughts are with Justice Ginsburg during such a troublesome time.

Posted by: CJ | Feb 5, 2009 2:03:57 PM

5. She and her husband Marty are both class acts and she's an incredible intellect: period. I hope she recovers. Although, I know she will feel much better stepping down with a Dem in the White House.

Posted by: Brandon | Feb 5, 2009 2:08:28 PM

6. A woman who has contributed so much to making this country a better place... I don't pray, but if hopes and good thoughts are of any help, she has all I can send.

Posted by: Glenn | Feb 5, 2009 2:12:10 PM

7. Her contributions from the bench are greatly appreciated by me - her appointment is one of the greatest things Clinton did while in office. I wish nothing but a speedy recovery. I know the odds, but we can hope against hope.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 5, 2009 2:34:29 PM

8. I pray that she gets well, and can freely make the decision on whether or not to resume her duties or to retire. God be with you Madam Justice.

Posted by: John | Feb 5, 2009 2:38:45 PM

9. bill made a good decision in appointing her. i hope obama will get real about bipartisanship and appoint others like her.

obama, get a clue! you can't deal with repugs.

Posted by: nic | Feb 5, 2009 3:58:59 PM

10. I wish her a speedy recovery, and I know this may not be in the best taste, but I'm SO glad this is happening now and not two years ago.

Posted by: Nick | Feb 5, 2009 4:17:51 PM

11. Get well, Madam Justice Bader-Ginsburg. She and her husband are both class acts: brilliant and wickedly funny. Marty was my tax professor in law school. One time when I appeared before [then] Judge Ginsburg she cut off a tenuous line of argument by remarking, "Counsel, if you really insist on continuing to make that argument, I have a paper bag you may want to wear." She cracked up the entire courtroom in a particularly dry administrative law appeal. (Fortunately she later ruled in favor of my client but did not accept that proposed rationale.)

Like many in DC, I have had dire fears about her health in recent years. That is precisely why I voted for Obama, above any other reason. She, and two other Justices, are highly likely to leave the bench soon.

You have done well Madam Justice; you have earned our respect and admiration. And your eventual reward will be great.

Posted by: rudy | Feb 5, 2009 5:11:43 PM

12. Pancreatic cancer is by far the most lethal form of cancer, but not because it's inherently nasty. It's asymptomatic until later stages when it starts metastasizing all over the body. The early discovery of the neoplasm is virtually unheard of in the vast majority of pancreatic cancer cases. A successful excisional biopsy should see her back in good health relatively quickly. She's very lucky to have caught it when it's so small.

Posted by: Iko | Feb 5, 2009 5:32:55 PM

13. Did you see this?

Talk about strange.

Posted by: Ray Lingren | Feb 5, 2009 10:01:05 PM

14. Did you see this?

Talk about strange.

Posted by: Ray Lingren | Feb 5, 2009 10:01:56 PM

15. Did you see this?

Talk about strange.

Posted by: Ray Lingren | Feb 5, 2009 10:02:02 PM

16. We sincerely pray for the fast recovery of Justice Ginsburg.. We believe that she can surpass this trial.. It was good that the illness was discovered early.. We need her in the Supreme Court.. Get well soon Justice Ginsburg.

Posted by: News Review | Feb 6, 2009 12:15:29 AM

17. Pancreatic cancer has a very high fatality rate, and the surgeries can be devastating. It's going to be a very tough road for her even if she's one of the few who can beat it. She's done a lot for this country and she should do whatever is best for her health and family at this point.

Posted by: Yeek | Feb 6, 2009 9:53:58 AM