Milk Picks Up Two Big Oscars as Slumdog Dominates Academy Awards

LIST OF WINNERS

BEST PICTURE
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
"Frost/Nixon"
"Milk"
"The Reader"
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Winner)

BEST ACTRESS
Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"
Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"
Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"
Meryl Streep, "Doubt"
Kate Winslet, "The Reader" (Winner)

BEST ACTOR
Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"
Sean Penn, "Milk" (Winner)
Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler"
Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams, "Doubt"
Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" (Winner)
Viola Davis, "Doubt"
Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Josh Brolin, "Milk"
Robert Downey Jr., "Tropic Thunder"
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Doubt"
Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight" (Winner)
Michael Shannon, "Revolutionary Road"

BEST DIRECTOR
Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire" (Winner)
Stephen Daldry, "The Reader"
David Fincher, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"
Gus Van Sant, "Milk"

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Dustin Lance Black, "Milk" (Winner)
Courtney Hunt, "Frozen River"
Mike Leigh, "Happy-Go-Lucky"
Martin McDonagh, "In Bruges"
Andrew Stanton, and Jim Reardon; original story by Stanton and Pete Docter"WALL-E"

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Simon Beaufoy, "Slumdog Millionaire" (Winner)
David Hare, "The Reader"
Peter Morgan, "Frost/Nixon"
John Patrick Shanley, "Doubt"
Eric Roth, Robin Swicord, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
"The Baader-Meinhof Complex" (Germany)
"The Class" (France)
"Departures" (Japan) (Winner)
"Revanche" (Austria)
"Waltz with Bashir" (Israel)

BEST ANIMATED FILM
"Bolt"
"Kung Fu Panda"
"WALL-E" (Winner)

BEST ART DIRECTION
"Changeling"
"The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button" (Winner)
"The Dark Knight"
"The Duchess"
"Revolutionary Road"

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
"Changeling" Tom Stern
"Slumdog Millionaire," Anthony Dod Mantle (Winner)
"The Reader," Chris Menges
"The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button," Claudio Miranda
"The Dark Knight," Wally Pfister

BEST FILM EDITING
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Kirk Baxter, Angus Wall
"The Dark Knight," Lee Smith
"Frost/Nixon," Daniel P. Hanley, Mike Hill
"Milk," Elliot Graham
"Slumdog Millionaire," Chris Dickens (Winner)

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
"Australia," Catherine Martin
"The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button," Jacqueline West
"The Duchess," Michael O'Conner (Winner)
"Milk", Danny Glicker
"Revolutionary Road," Albert Wolsky

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
"The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)"
"Encounters at the End of the World"
"The Garden"
"Man on Wire" (Winner)
"Trouble the Water"

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Slumdog Millionaire," "Jai Ho" (Winner)

"Slumdog Millionaire," "O Saya"
"WALL-E," "Down To Earth"

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
"The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button," Alexandre Desplat
"Defiance," James Newton Howard
"Milk," Danny Elfman
"Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman (Winner)
"WALL-E," Thomas Newman

BEST MAKEUP
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,"(Winner)
"The Dark Knight,"
"Hellboy II: The Golden Army,"

BEST SOUND EDITING
"The Dark Knight"(Winner)
"Iron Man"
"Slumdog Millionaire"
"WALL-E"
"Wanted"

BEST SOUND MIXING
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
"The Dark Knight"
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Winner)
"WALL-E"
"Wanted"

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Winner)
"The Dark Knight"
"Iron Man"

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
"Auf der Strecke (On the Line)"
"Manon on the Asphalt"
"New Boy"
"The Pig"
"Spielzeugland (Toyland)" (Winner)

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
"La Maison en Petits Cubes" (Winner)
"Lavatory – Lovestory"
"Oktapodi"
"Presto"
"This Way Up"

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT FILM
"The Conscience of Nhem En"
"The Final Inch"
"Smile Pinki" (Winner)
"The Witness – From the Balcony of Room 306"

Comments

1. Mark says

Black’s acceptance speech was the best part of the night. Again, Tina Fey is a highlight of the evening.

I’m impressed Oscar producers could fit Beyonce’s huge skyscraper climbing, plane swatting id into the Kodak.

2. troschne says

I loved both speeches, and cried during both. I actually jumped off the sofa, much like I would like I would if my team scored in a close football or basketball game. Congrats to Black and Penn, and I hope Harvey’s smiling down on us all!

3. scar2 says

I also cried during Black’s speech. It totally made up for ‘Brokeback’ losing Best Picture 3 years ago. I also loved Penn’s speech & it was classy for him to acknowledged Rourke. Yes, Rourke has said some stupid things but he still gave a great performance.

4. George14 says

Congratulations to DLB and SP. Very moving acceptance speeches, and true standouts from a night that was filled with highlights and several lowlights. On a sidenote, it always irks me when winners forget to thank or even acknowledge their Significant Others; Penn forgot, yet again, to thank his wife Robyn Wright-Penn.

I enjoyed the many new new additions and format changes to the Oscars, but I could have done without the gushing sonnets from the past winners to the nominees. I much prefer highlighting their nominations with gripping clips of their film performances.

Was beyond thrilled to see Slumdog nearly sweep all their categories (all but 1); it was the little film that could. Can you imagine that it was doomed to go straight to DVD. This was probably the first film since Titanic that people of all persuasions agreed could, and should deserve all the credits and awards it got.

My eyes became moist seeing the little kids look so happy on the Red Carpet and on stage at the end. I hope their lives change for the better from here on out, and they are able to bring some of their well-earned goodwill and fortunes back to their families and neighbors. I heard that Fox Searchlight has put them up in a five-star hotel and arranged to take them to the Universal theme park today. I cannot imagine how it will be for them to experience all this and have to return to their lives in poverty. I hope these kids gain strength to return home and begin the change in their and their families life following this obvious psychological and emotional rollercoaster.

Congratulations to Kate (loved her speech, esp. the call-out to her Dad), Penelope, Heath and all the other winners.

5. gabe says

The Walt Disney World-esque musical # was the worse of the evening. Putting disparate talents like Hugh, Beyonce, Zac, Vanessa and those 2 kids from Mamma Mia together on one stage, throw in some drummers and some Rockette style dancing, oh dear….where to begin? The big reveal in the end that Baz directed it, made all sense to me, LOL!!!!

Congrats to all the winners but especially to Dustin and Sean. Well deserved victories indeed!!

6. Josh says

So glad he won, but apparently there this win ruffled a few feathers. There’s plenty of hateful comments posted on the YouTube page of this clip showing we have a long way to go…

7. Leland Frances says

I was EXTREMELY impressed and moved by Black’s eloquence tonight in his acceptance speech, despite his many factual errors in the script and introduction to the Harvey photobook.

His remarks were close to perfect, most importantly in his delivering a message of hope and love to gay kids which many gay heroes have been sending for so long to a world which keeps trying to drown them out.
    Such “witnessing” will literally save the lives of kids [and some adults, too] still hungering for just a few words of affirmation.

BRAVO to Mr. Black!!!!

And Penn’s win will draw a few more nongays into the theatre. Hooray for that, too.
    And BRAVO for his calling out the bigots who wrap themselves in the flag of free HATE speech and behind their selectively interpreted Bibles.

See more of both their similar thoughts at the Oscar site by clicking on the Press Room Cam tab on the page at

I was just about to start painting my protest sign about the exclusion of gay images from the romance montage when “Harvey” and “Scott” suddenly appeared, and several seconds later were shown in full-on lip lock. Bravo for that, too, albeit I think we deserved more screen time than the ROBOT lovers got.

Progress nonetheless.

And I firmly believe that the many teary eyes we saw when Heath Ledger’s family accepted his posthumous award were because most of those people were recalling his shattering performance as Ennis del Mar in Brokeback which, regardless of his own sexuality, finally made gay love real for millions of movie goers around the world.

“A Love That Will Never Grow Old” indeed.

8. Dan E says

The wins were wonderful, but what actually made me spontaneously, unexpectedly cry was when, at the end of the “romance” montage, we saw a scene of Sean Penn and James Franco kissing from Milk. When that montage started, I thought to myself “no way they’ll show anything from Milk” while at the same time hoping that they would. They teased me with the first, tame scene from Milk which was just the two of them sitting at a table. Then the kiss! It was wonderful.

9. jimmyboyo says

PS Rourker’s performance as vs Penn

Penn had to stretch himself to play against type where as Routkr , though stellar, was basically playing his own life story = not as much of a stretch/ show of acting ability

10. Wes says

I disagree that Slumdog should have won best picture, I think both The Wrestler and Doubt were better. But of course, I don’t even think either of those were nominated for Best Picture. Go figure.

Slumdogs a good flick though, if a little overrated.

11. Tom says

To the question of why “Braveheart” was intercut, along with other best picture winners from the past: I think it was an in-your-face to Mel Gibson and his ilk, as if to say Milk was just as brave a rebel and freedom-fighter!

12. Derrick from PHilly says

I was upset too, SOULBROTHA. The only thing I could think of was that the Oscar show is always honors films from the preceeding year (2008). The great lady died this year, didn’t she? Perhaps they will mention her in the tribute in the 2010 show.

Sophia Loren is AMAZING…seventy-four years old! Must be the African in her.

13. Paul R says

Nope, Eatha Kitt died on Christmas 2008. Glaring omission. Otherwise, this was most certainly the best Oscars I’ve ever seen, despite Hugh Jackman’s vacuous hosting.

14. Derrick from PHilly says

I’m wrong, Eartha Kitt died on Christmas Day 2008. Yes, it was a glaring mistake by the folks who put the tribute together. Even if one is mainly a stage, nightclub performer–any substantial work in American films should be enough to be included.

Yeah, that was a major omission.

15. Michael Bedwell says

Yes, Kitty’s shocking death is still so new that even I missed the error after having written an homage to her in the “Washington Blade”:

While there were minor others, including her voicing Yzma in multiple “Emperor’s New Groove” projects, and countless films that used the audio of “Santa Baby,” her main big screen roles occured in the 50s:

“St. Louis Woman” – the black all star story of WC Handy
    “Anna Lucasta” with Sammy Davis, Jr.
    “Mark of the Hawk” [she told me Sidney Poitier was a little too “rough”]
    and the film production of the stage musical that first made her a star:
    “New Faces.”

It seems so common now for films to use the sound of a woman/women singing vocalise with a spinetingling vibrato, such as “Gladiator’s” use of Yvonne S. Moriarty [?], but everytime I think, “Have these people never heard Eartha? These sounds are in her bones!”

Rest in peace, my black angel.