TechCrunch Posts Homophobic ‘Fags’ Slur with Twitter Story

Twitter_not_for_fags

A reader sent in this note, regarding today’s TechCrunch story on Twitter:

“In today’s TechCrunch (the leading technology-news blog, a very, very powerful voice here in the Bay Area and beyond), one of the writers posted a story on why TechCrunch covers Twitter so much. Well, in publishing the story, TechCrunch used the attached image, which reads ‘Why Twitter is not lame (or for fags).’ After people complained about TechCrunch not only putting up a homophobic image but blasting it out through all of its various feeds, the writer, Robin Wauters, left the image up but blurred out the (‘or for fags’) text. When people complained about it in the comments section, the writer was very defensive and catty. Wauters refused to apologize (and is still refusing). Only after he was slammed repeatedly did he remove the link to the original creator of the image (DarkMotion). His final response in the blog? ‘Image removed, link deleted.’ He put a note in the text that reads ‘Image from DarkMotion: no link because the original image contains a word that is offensive to some.’ Perhaps it’s not a big deal, but if this image had read ‘or for n***ers’ in brown text, this story would have made the cover of the NYTimes and CNN, and Michael Arrington, the CEO of TechCrunch, would have been on the news begging for forgiveness. But since it’s just us fags, so to speak, he can get away with not even apologizing.”

The complaints, as of now, are still there in the comments. I read TechCrunch every day. I would have expected better from one of its contributors.

NOTE: I’ve changed the gender references in the tipster’s note so as to avoid confusion.

UPDATE: Wauters has apologized in our comments section: “Hi, I’m the author of the TechCrunch article, and yes I’m a man. I understand why you are all mad at me, and I deserve to be pointed to my own mistakes. That said, I honestly did not see the word when I embedded the image, and I did notice it when it was published. I didn’t remove it because of the comments, it was already gone when the first comment came in. I feel sick about all of this, I hate hatred and bigotry, and I would never ever condone the word ‘fag’ to be used. I’m sorry.”

Comments

1. says

Well, someone has decided to sue Miley Cirus over the offensive asian photo—maybe it’s time we as gay people do the same. And sue over every stupid offensive superbowl commercial, ad, photo, or slap on the wrist basher sentence we come across. I know it could come off as frivolous lawsuits but I don’t know what’s left for us to do? Or how else to get the mainstream media to speak out when we’re mocked publicly by corporations all in the name of advertizing. GLAAD start asking to see next year’s superbowl ads NOW! And let it be known that if anything offensive gets aired the NFL is going to be sued. It’s time. I’m just sayin’…

2. Wes says

You can’t sue people for being offended by them. The ‘asian photo’ lawsuit is rediculous (I heard it was for like 4 BILLION dollars or something).

But you can let them know you feel and raise hell without the legal system.

3. BRIAN BIDDLE says

Andy – I find it odd that you comment that this is not getting national attention and then your last sentence is “I read TechCrunch every day. I would have expected better from one of its contributors.” Shouldn’t it say “I USED TO read TechCrunch every day. But no longer will be reading it because they do not respect me.”?
    Cause and effect works wonders…

4. Leland Frances says

1. Robin Wauters is MALE.

2. Fittingly, he was born in ASSe, Belgium.

3. Having personally won a Blue Ribbon for Troll at the last county fair, I probably shouldn’t say this, but judging by his picture it is no wonder he appears to have no life beyond the Internet.

4. And YES YES YES flood him and everyone who supports him with denouncing e-mails, crash their servers, make them understand that we are “No longer Mr. Nice Fag.” In short, act like you DESERVE to be treated with respect.

5. Cj says

Very good point that if this had been any other form of bigotry instead of directed towards the LGBT community, this would be all over news feeds. It frustrates me to no end that society in general dismissed blatant bigotry towards the LGBT community, yet will not give any one else a pass when it comes to bigotry to any other minority. No one should be given any pass for bigotry towards anyone, yet time and time again the LGBT community is the whipping post for bigotry. The fact that this author did not receive any discipline (such as what Imus received for his god awful racist comment) is baffling.

6. crispy says

Totally 100% off topic: Why are commenter’s names no longer in orange? I can’t tell who’s commenting anymore… as such, I accidentally read a comment by Leland.

7. says

God when is the LGBTQ community going to wake the hell up and realize that America does not like us? I mean, srsly, how can anyone be surprised by this action?

Our community needs to WTFU (W=Wake instead of S=Shut) and start to take things into its own hand. Stop relying on the politicians, the journalists, etc. and start bonking people over the head with foam baseball bats already!

NYS Senator Smith told the LGBTQ Community in 2007 that if we helped him take over the NYS Senate so that there would be a Democratic majority, then passing same-sex marriage legislation in the Senate would become a priority and one of the FIRST issues that he would bring to the floor for a vote (it’s already passed in the Assembly, and Governor Patterson has promised to sign the bill, which, IIRC, Pataki also said he would do but don’t quote me on that). So, now that the Democrats are in control of the NYS Senate and NYS Sen. Smith is speaker/maj. ldr./whatever it’s called (can’t remember at the moment, need some caffeine…), Sen. Smith conveniently forgets making this statement and now says that it’s POSSIBLE that a vote will come to the floor in 2010 but that “we just don’t have the votes to bring it to the floor for a vote now.”

Note to you New Yorkers who helped make this a reality (I’m a New Yorker but I didn’t vote for the Dem Senator…): Sen. Bruno had the *exact* *same* modus operandi; he said he would allow a marriage bill to come to the floor for a vote *WHEN* *IT* *HAD* *THE* *VOTES* *TO* *PASS*

8. says

Hi, I’m the author of the TechCrunch article, and yes I’m a man.

I’m sorry.

9. Vincent says

Before everyone gets too riled up..

The intention of the graphic seemed more about addressing exactly that- the fanboy types who say “fags”, or lame, or “ghey”, or whatever. It’s speaking to them in their language, even making fun of it.

IT’s awful, juvenile, homophobic, yeah. But stupid punks talk this way, they do call each other ‘fags” in comments, all the time. It’s pretty abstracted from actual gay people it’s a schoolyard insult.

10. Zeke says

People need to learn how to accept apologies. Seriously. Robin has apologized several times and people need to stop jumping on him and dragging this out beyond what it needs.

Let it go and move on.

11. says

Hrm, this is interesting. The statements NOW on the web site in the article are a bit different than what you’ve quoted. Any chance there was a screenshot taken of the original comments, or did you mis-quote?:

“Update: our sincere apologies to all who were offended by the original image that we took from another blog, we genuinely didn’t notice that there was such an offensive word on it until 30 seconds after we published. Obviously, it still got caught by some RSS readers, so again, we’re sorry.”

and from recent comments:

Hrag – February 12th, 2009 at 9:13 am PST

Why did you include a homophobic line in the image that accompanied the post that went to your feed? That was a disturbing thing to have to see and was not appreciated.

Robin Wauters – February 12th, 2009 at 9:18 am PST

I took the image from another post as indicated at the bottom of my article. Didn’t notice until it was published.
    o
    Bart – February 12th, 2009 at 9:30 am PST

So if you did notice it, you wouldn’t have published it? I don’t see what difference leaving a note at the bottom does. You’re still choosing to use this image. Why don’t you find one that says Facebook’s not for n***ers in brown text and use it in your next post? Don’t forget to credit the source at the bottom of that post too…
    Robin Wauters – February 12th, 2009 at 9:36 am PST

You probably didn’t pay attention, but I changed the image after 30 seconds or so, after I noticed.
    Community destruction 101 – February 12th, 2009 at 9:46 am PST

What’s with the catty, defensive response and utter lack of responsibility?

Maybe “Thanks for noticing and we sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by it” would be appropriate.

or maybe “Gosh, how embarrassing that I don’t do 2 seconds of visual due diligence when I p2p pictures.”

It’s stuff like this that makes me really resent that TechCrunch is a must-read. I wish it wasn’t.
    o
    Dave Doyle – February 12th, 2009 at 9:41 am PST

Be that as it may, it showed up in my feed reader with the homophobic image. A little contrition would be nice.
    o
    Jeff – February 12th, 2009 at 9:41 am PST

I think the appropriate thing to do here would be to a) apologize for inadvertently offending people and b) take the five minutes to upload a new image so you can remove the credit link and stop providing free traffic to a bigot (DarkMotion), instead of just saying “hey, i blurred out the ‘fag’ part, relax!”
    clayton – February 12th, 2009 at 9:56 am PST

ohdeargod, what are you guys talking about?

I feel left out, I didn’t check this as soon as it was posted!

(Though I could have if I twittered… heh)
    o
    Mike – February 12th, 2009 at 10:07 am PST

I also was dismayed to see the original image for this post in the feed. The original image is still on TechCrunch’s servers: http://www.techcrunch.com/wp-c…..r-lame.png

Given the offensiveness of the image, simply attributing your source exacerbates the issue. It drives people to the original and continues to alienate your readers and encourage bigotry.

Please remove the original image, your modified version, and the link to the source. I’d like to believe this was truly just an oversight and not a lapse of judgment.

For an organization that prides itself on integrity–with regards to coverage, advertising, NDAs, etc.–I’m surprised and disappointed to see any delay in fixing this.
    Robin Wauters – February 12th, 2009 at 10:11 am PST

Image deleted, link removed.
    o
    evan – February 12th, 2009 at 10:48 am PST

“Lame” is offensive to paraplegic people, please correct this immediately, tia
    o
    Robin Wauters – February 12th, 2009 at 10:58 am PST

Updated the post to reflect how sorry we are. Not at all our intention to offend anyone, and I honestly missed it when I embedded the original image.
    o
    truestory – February 12th, 2009 at 11:32 am PST

Come on! You seriously think he would have put that up there if he saw anything offensive? He didn’t create the image.

You have no idea how annoying some of you can be. TC doesn’t require you to read every article, feel free to skip the ones you don’t want to hear about. People just love to complain about not wanting to hear about certain topics and about how it wastes their time but then they of course have to post about it letting us all know that their time really isn’t that important.

Why don’t you angry nerds step away from the computer and go get some sunlight.

12. RP says

” I can’t tell who’s commenting anymore… as such, I accidentally read a comment by Leland.”

LOL! I seriously just spit my drink out. That was f’n’ hilarious! Now off to grab some paper towels.

13. Nate says

Robin apologized to me personally through email, also. Was this an accident? More than likely. Irresponsible? Absolutely. BUT, I think we should cut him a little slack. He made updates to the story, personally apologized to those who made comments about it, AND took the time to post here apologizing again.

After seeing this, hearing from him, and reading these comments, I am fairly convinced that his error was unintentional and he is very apologetic.

14. dego says

The Author gets props for coming here and apologizing. Still and all, I’m left wanting.

I never felt the satisfaction of the bully apologizing to me, in relative privacy at the door of my house with his dad hovering behind him, that I did if he had to apologize to me in front of the people for whom he had committed the original offense (or mistake in this case).

otherwise all the folks that saw him do the deed never have to know that he made the mistake.

15. Cj says

Mr. Wauters, I thank you for your sincere and kind apology. It is refreshing knowing that someone out there is taking the time to personally apologize for an offense that may have not been from their doing. Thanks again.

16. Pugzz says

Fag and Gay are words that are changing meaning over time. I still despise the word “fag’ when used as a derogatory statement towards homosexual people but young (mostly) people use gay and fag to mean something different – wimp, sissy, bizarre, geeky, nerdy, stupid, etc. It can be thrown at Straights or Gays and it does not mean homosexual. Many of these folks are homosexual or gay friendly I’m not supporting it or condemning it, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

17. Chris says

sent to Michael Arrington via Facebook:

The casual homophobia you guys exhibited today doesn’t cut in 2009. Gay people are beaten and/or deprived of their constitutional rights every day — we don’t need slurs casually hurled at us (“Twitter isn’t lame, or for fags” — your quote) by tech websites. Personally, my marriage was undone in November by a popular vote — was yours?

If you had said, “Twitter isn’t for..(put any ethnic slur here)”…….I think you’d be on CNN apologizing as if your livlihood depended on it. Why is the dignity of gay people worth less?

18. peterparker says

JIMMINY is correct. It appears to have been an oversight on the part of Robin Wauters who apologized. The person who created the image at DarkMotion is the one who should be taken to task.

19. peterparker says

JIMMINY is correct. It appears to be a mistake on the part of Robin Wauters who removed the image and apologized on TechCrunch and here on Towleroad. The one who should be taken to task is the person who created the image at DarkMotion.

20. gayalltheway says

1.Open up internet browser (IE,Firefox,Safari,etc)

2.Go to ‘Bookmarks’ and click it.

3.Scroll down to “TechCrunch” and right-click it.

4.Scroll down to ‘Delete’ and click it.

And FYI pugzz, we SHOULD condemn/oppose the use of the word ‘fag’ or ‘gay’ to refer to something which i think is has negative implication – which is what those young (mostly) people are doing now. What if I say the ‘n’ word and tell people I’m using it to refer others as “wimp,sissy,bizarre,etc”. Do you think it will be tolerated? Hell no. so we shouldn’t tolerate it either.

21. Brandon says

Saragorn: That’s a wonderful idea. Let’s start typing in all sorts of slurs to see what happens. If you have an issue with what was written, then address that issue. Period.

22. W says

So this blog is a technology news blog, and yet they have a writer who doesn’t even bother to proof read (or even glance) at the photo he himself chose to use with his article?! Those are some smart cookies over there at TechCrunch.

23. says

Apology accepted. Thank you for being fair and quickly handling the situation. And thanks goes to towelroad and everyone who commented/emailed/etc both here and there. We’re all just trying to make the world a better place in these tough times. None of us are enjoying “the great depression 2: electric boogaloo” and offensive stuff makes it worse. But I know we do have allies out there and I hope we can expect to see more of this type of quick cooperation in the future. Thanks.

24. Chris says

Michael Arrington’s response to my Facebook email posted above:

“What the fuck are you rambling about? Did you see my posts on prop 8? Either apologize or never contact me again. Dick.”

Classy huh? He’s on Facebook as michael Arrington if you want to contact him.

25. says

I am an avid Twit with over 1,000 followers. I have never seen any evidence of racism or homophobia and I hope it stays that way.

I just posted a link to this article so my fellow Twitterers can be made aware of Dark Motions actions and the response from Robin( who I’m going to cut some slack for manning up).

I don’t think the vast majority of folks on Twitter are assholes. In fact, I am very open about being gay and I have followers that are LGBT, Christian groups, and a lot of hip hop magazines and organizations. I hate that this stupidity might tarnish Twitter.

26. says

Regardless of this bit of idiocy, Twitter is a great way to get out news about your business or social organization. There’s plenty of LGBT related Twitterers in addition to news, fashion, entertainment, etc..

I’d be honored to have Towleroad readers follow me: vegasstyleguy

27. says

“It can be thrown at Straights or Gays and it does not mean homosexual.”

What? Are you suggesting “fag” isn’t a derogatory term for gay people? (Equivalently offensive to, say, kike or nigger.) Or are you speaking only about “gay”? In both cases, words have a history, and that history has meaning, however ignorant “young (mostly) people” may be of that meaning. People are free to use whatever words they choose, but with that freedom comes responsibility and accountability.

28. Caitlin says

It’s stupid idiotic and just down right insulting comments like these that make it embarrassing for me to say, ‘yes, i am straight’. People are people. Get over it already.

29. says

about 18 months ago, i was participating in a group art show with 4 other artists. during the course of the event, when it was clear my pieces were the only ones anyone was interested in, the husband of one of the artists ended up shouting at me, calling me a fag. i shut down the opening, took all of my art down, wrote a letter to the editor of the town paper to explain why i wouldn’t show my art alongside these artist’s work. i was told by every other artist in the show i behaved badly and that by my age, i should have learned how to take it. all i could tell them was that by the age of 51 i had learned how NOT to take it.

We have to stand up for our rights. it is obvious they will not be freely given to us.

this writer, editor, contributor, whatever Wauters calls himself, needs to be let go, fired. i’ve worked in journalism/publishing my entire adult life and someone saying they ‘honestly didn’t see that word in a graphic’ is a mistake made ONCE and you are out the door. there are no second chances at stupidity like that. some ‘mistakes’ are just that bad. this is one of them.

Wauters does not deserve a second chance to fuck up. As everyone else has said, if the N word had been used, this would be national and he would be looking for work…

…at McDonalds.

and ps, i’ve learned to never show with other artists. i’m having my first solo show in June. my work will never be used to support the ignorant, the hypocritical or the homophobic.

30. Gay Dude says

Dear Gays,

Nobody gave Blacks, Jews, or any other group respect out of the goodness of their hearts. These groups fought for it and took it. Get off your butts and do the work; that’s how society changes.

I am gay and sick of all your whining. Write a letter. Come out. Run for office. Organize a boycott. Get married. We determine how people treat us, because if it were up to others blacks would still be oppressed and Jews would still be scared about not having a secure homeland. Oh wait, those are still issues being fought over.

31. Gay Dude says

Dear Gays,

32. says

“Looking at the post and the context, I think the graphic was directly addressing the reeeeeally common bullshit of commenters of geek sites- “Ur so ghey”, or “Twitter is 4 fags”. I think it’s horrible, but yeah, teenage geeks call each other fag ALL THE TIME on anonymous message boards.

Devils advocacy over. The writer says he pulled the piece quickly, and it appears he did. Let’s not get too hyped about this.”

That’s exactly what I was getting at, and if people are going to produce a massive outroar over it, then I don’t know where humanity is headed. I am FRIENDS with homosexuals. Some of the best friends I had were not straight.

33. says

lol @ Pasquale.
    “I am FRIENDS with homosexuals. Some of the best friends I had were not straight.”

do you have ANY idea how stupid your comments are? how condescending? i see your link goes to DarkMotion, so i assume you’re the artist in question? your artwork is as misguided as your 1950s attitude. do the world a favor-everything you think it’s OK to use the term ‘fag’ in your artwork, substitute ‘nigger’ and post it. then substitute ‘towel head’ then substitute ‘spic’ and see how many people ‘get’ your tone and meaning.

and while you’re at it, why don’t you use these terms in person some time in conversation with the people you are reaching out to.

good luck.

34. says

lol @ Pasquale.

good luck.

35. says

@casey how about you understand that it was a sarcastic remark directed towards the people that ACTUALLY use those words without understanding the repercussions?

When you are in the 3rd grade and someone calls you a ‘fag’, do you think the kid throwing it at you understands what that means? How does that feel to the person being called that without knowing what it means?

Do you have any idea how stupid you sound trying to formulate an argument without developing context? I was calling out the people that say hurtful words like that.

I guess I could never really expect someone as hot tempered as you to actually take a few minutes to comprehend what just went down.

36. says

Mistake made, lesson learned, IMHO.

@Pugzz ~ I beg to differ. The F word has often been used in reference to the various definitions you mention. How exactly does that make it ok (and different) to use today?

As an avid gamer, I encounter first hand the ignorance/stupidity of many young kids online. They know EXACTLY what they mean and how they are using it. While stereotypes are changing, it is still used as a direct slang against anyone who fits the stereotypical “gay” mold.

37. says

pasquale: i TOTALLY GET what you TRIED to do, what you THINK you were doing, i’m telling you it DIDN’T WORK. your sarcasm wasn’t effective. your use of the word WASN’T CLEAR and thus you just became another ineffective shock artist.

do you seriously think you’re the first person to take a stab at this? there is a fine line between true satire and trite schock. you didn’t even get close to the former.

and if ‘hot headed’ you mean passionate, yes i am. i don’t put up with idiots telling me they’re geniuses. this isn’t my first trip to the rodeo, if that’s not too old a reference for you.

38. says

do you seriously think you’re the first person to take a stab at this? there is a fine line between true satire and trite schlock. you didn’t even get close to the former.

and if by ‘hot headed’ you mean passionate, yes i am. i don’t put up with idiots telling me they’re geniuses. this isn’t my first trip to the rodeo, if that’s not too old a reference for you.

39. says

I wrote Mr. Waulters and he apologized again for using the graphic, but my suggestion to use the incident as a learning and education tool (i.e., make it clear to his readers that using “fag” and “gay” as slurs really isn’t acceptable, which in turn might influence them in a more positive way) seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Similarly, the original creator of the graphic at darkmotion.com seems to be wholly unrepentant about it. I think people should be contacting him as well, especialy since he doesn’t seem to really care at all.

40. Johnny says

His apology is that “all the other juvenile kids say it”, so I thought it was okay.

I don’t think it is okay to be immediately off the hook for just saying sorry.

It is TechCrunch that should apologize and take action to correct the situation. Why have they remained quiet?

41. says

Is the comment thread still broken on this? I’ll try again . . .

“It can be thrown at Straights or Gays and it does not mean homosexual.”

Wait, are you saying that “fag” isn’t a derogatory name specifically targeted at gay people (not unlike kike and nigger in terms of offensiveness)? Or are you just referring to “gay”? In any event, words–whatever their current meaning–have a history, and that history has meaning. While “young (mostly) people” are free to use whatever words they like, that freedom comes with accountability and responsibility. “Fag” still means “Fag” to a lot of people, including this fag.

42. says

The “fag” word makes me cringe. I’ve been the subject of queer bashing since I was a teenager. Honestly, someone should go after that Fred Phelps POS and his website. What if someone had a website that was “God Hates Niggers?” Are we the last of a group that can be openly pissed on?

43. ape says

Just for the notice, Robin is from belgium and in our national radio we have a gay show every week called : “Bang Bang, l’émission pas pour les pédé”, which literally transaltes to “Bang Bang, the emission not for the fags”. It is runned by gays and is a great show.

A.

44. twitter says

If anyone knew anything about technology, they would know that twitter is not an advancement in anything.

If it were 1996 I would understand why 140 character messages was a big deal.

Fags have nothing to do with it. Slur or no slur, doenst matter. HURR DURRRR!!!

About 99% of blogs are nothing more than geocities “Home Pages for reallly important people”.

BAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!! Blawg not makin blawgler important today? BAAAWWWWWW~!!!!!

45. twitter says

Oh. And @Pugzz…

Buck up. Its ok. Im just as offended by this mass mockery of what tech COULD be. But yet the things that come out of fruition are total trash. Yes, Im ranting about twitter again. Im equally offended by anything posing as legit tech that takes me back 10+ years…

46. Jimmy Jones says

Gay men are not real men. Real men keep the world turning so if a real man wants to put down something that is less than a woman…by all means, call it a FAG all day long!