Gay Pride | Music | Music Video | News

Music Video Celebrates 40 Years of Gay Pride

Pride2009

Jon Gilbert Leavitt and Kevin Hannan offer up this musical docu-video in honor of the upcoming 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Rebellion. I haven't heard this much rhyming since REM's "It's the End of the World as We Know It".

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via kenneth in the 212)

Comments

1. very cool

Posted by: tofer david | Mar 23, 2009 11:40:30 AM

2. Thanks Andy for posting that. It's favorited to my personal play list on Utube. If only the newspaper headlines will come true.

Posted by: John | Mar 23, 2009 12:30:30 PM

3. Fuck, you got me tearing up at work. That's like twice in 4 days. Friday I was listening to the "Fresh Air" interview with Dan Bachardy about his and Christopher Isherwood's relationship and I had to pull off the road due to tearing up.

Posted by: Jersey | Mar 23, 2009 12:59:40 PM

4. Pretty good overall, tho I'd rather not celebrate child-thrill kill murderers ***Leopold & Loeb nor "bug chasers" among all those colors of the rainbow. They aren't elements of gay pride but simply among the functionally insane who happen[ed] to be gay.

***There is some evidence that their original target, out of pure revenge and not the subsequent popular version that they wanted to simply prove that as superior men they could commit the "perfect crime," was someone who had spread gay rumors about them. Leopold married after his release from prison; Loeb was murdered in a prison shower.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Mar 23, 2009 2:02:34 PM

5. More Billy Joel than REM...

Posted by: uwyoalum | Mar 23, 2009 3:00:02 PM

6. Thanks for the comments and support! The audio is being remixed with more vocals and harmonies added - plus punched up so all the lyrics can be understood. The release should be out in mid- end of April (CD and video - same footage w/updated audio). For the time being, if you want to read the words, they're here: http://www.jglsongs.com/Pride2009.pdf

Thanks again! Jon

Posted by: Jon Gilbert Leavitt | Mar 24, 2009 2:41:57 AM

7. Agree about Leopold and Loeb. It's a story to know, but not embrace in celebration.

Overall, I enjoyed it. A little cheesy but I guess that's okay, too!

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 29, 2009 2:55:48 PM