Spain’s ‘Pregnant Man’ Has Twins on the Way

Coronado

Spaniard Ruben Coronado (left), who is in the process of transitioning from female to male, has halted the process because he is pregnant with twins, according to the UK Telegraph, who reports he went public "so people start to see a transsexual
pregnancy as normal.":

"Mr Coronado, born a woman called Estefania or Stephanie and still considered
female under Spanish law, is due to give birth at the end of September. He is the first Spanish transsexual to fall pregnant and it is thought he will
become the world's first transsexual father of twins if everything goes to
plan. He will bring the twins up with his partner Esperanza Ruiz, 43. They plan to
marry before they become parents. Once he becomes a parent he will resume his sex-change surgery and become a
father rather than mother."

Said Coronado (in a statement that seems a bit flip and ham-handed — perhaps it's the translation): "It's like
being born with three hands. You take advantage of them while you have them and you get rid of one
of them when they get in the way."

Thomas Beatie, the U.S. transgender man who made headlines last year, reported in November that he was pregnant again and is due on June 12.

Coronado is due at the end of September.

Comments

1. Mike says

Oh god not another one of these damn pregnant man stories. IF YOU CAN HAVE A BABY YOU ARE NOT A MAN. PERIOD. I don’t care what you cut off or what you take.

2. Thomas says

I don’t comprehend how a female-to-male transsexual would want to become pregnant. Doesn’t that completely go against the notion of being male, which is what a FTM transperson identifies as? A man could never become pregnant, hence it is as just as unmanly as the breasts or other female attributes that an FTM wants to get rid of.

3. MIKE says

Media whores. Pregnant “men”, Octomom, family with 19 children, they’re all narcissists running frantically to the television cameras. The gay and transgender rights movements aren’t helped by this stream of Jerry Springer Show clowns hogging the spotlight.

4. Wheezy says

“He is the first Spanish transsexual to fall pregnant…”
    “…who is in the process of transitioning from female to male, has halted the process because he is pregnant with twins…”

The Oregon trans-parent decided to keep the lady bits because his wife couldn’t have kids and if they wanted some they’d have to use his or use a surrogates. I don’t think that’s the case in the Spanish couple. Would anyone who was part way through transitioning stop and get pregnant? If they really wanted kids, wouldn’t they have done it before the process started? Somehow (from the quotes) this doesn’t sound like a planned pregnancy.

5. area51 says

Oh, God, I can’t wait for the bubble bath photos.

I’m a post-op FtM TS, and I hate this. I’ve tried to tolerate Thomas Beattie. It’s a free country and all that. But for every story about “out” FtM’s like Shannon Minter or Ben Barres or Stephan Thorne, who are doing something constructive with their male lives, there will be a thousand about so-called “pregnant men”. This is not a common event or goal among FtM TS’s.

Even before I decided to transition, the idea of pregnancy, and the activity that makes it possible, was completely unacceptable to me. I can’t imagine stopping after one has begun “cross-living” for a detour through the roles of pregnant woman and mother. Every FtM I’ve known has wanted to get through the intermediate stages and begin living as a man as soon as possible.

6. nic says

thanks for the insight, AREA51. i’m a live and let live kinda guy, but try as i may, i can’t wrap my head around this phenomenon. i have always thought that one is either happy with the way they were born or not. i can fully understand a woman being born in a man’s body or vice versa, but this half-way stuff is really perplexing.

7. rjp3 says

whatever floats his/her boat — but do not insult intelligence by claiming you are a pregnant man and demand others go along for the ride … that is disrespectful to common sense and that is the problem with these “pregnant men” … sad and selfish people who need others to bend logic and play games for them

8. hotceoguy says

As if we didnt have enough problems with helping the straight community understand, how dare this person call herself a man. It is a pregnant woman, there are many. If she wanted to become a man we would all be supportive, and she should do it. Until then it is two woman having a baby together.
    I am sick to hell with this and the American woman who keeps saying she is a man. If you have the parts to carry a baby you are female, plain and simple.

9. says

I’m not quite sure why the “pregnant man” thingy makes people so crazy so quickly. All I know is that my opinion (and those of most GLB folks) is completely irrelevant.

I’m reminded of the fact that trans issues have very little resemblance to gay and lesbian issues.

10. scientitian says

I don’t get what you’re all freaking out about. Yes, there is something unsavory about whoring your pregnancy out to the news media (trans, octo-mom, celebrity, or otherwise), but what is so terrible about this person identifying himself as a man and deciding not to get an abortion (this sounds like an unplanned pregnancy)? There are women born with non-functioning testicles instead of ovaries who mature as and look like women their whole lives…should they identify as men when they realize they technically have a Y chromosome? That just seems cruel if you ask me.
    And pardon me, but who says this person has to “Pick a sex!”? What if trans/gender queer folks don’t feel comfortable identifying with a single gender? How does it affect your life in any way? There is a biological and psychological gradient for gender – not everyone falls neatly on one end or another (likewise with SEXUALITY, as I’m you should all realize). Get with the fucking program, people!

11. Derrick from Philly says

The MILKMAN,

the first part of your statement I totally agree with; the second part–I don’t. Gay-bashing is the major issue for many gay people who don’t conform to gender role “norms”. Violent gay-bashing is done by the same people who violently trans-bash, and for the same reasons. The other issue for many of us is work place discrimination. Some of the same people who discriminate against gays & Lesbians will discriminate against transfolk USING THE SAME ANTI-GAY explanations (often anti-gay beliefs are based on issues of gender role behavior, not the actual sexual behavior of gay people). For instance, many homophobes use the insult of “faggot” to describe one’s effeminate mannerisms NOT their sex life.

There are too many transgender folk who are gay, and too many gay folk who are transgender for there EVER to be any complete separation of the two minorities.

12. Aaron says

Thank you to Scientitian and Derrick from Philly for some thoughtful discussion of this issue. As for the majority of the rest of the comments, I’m having a hard time understanding how rigid and binary the thinking seems to be. It seems to me this insistence on binary sex, gender, and sexuality is a theme among individuals who discriminate against gay and lesbian people. I find it disturbing how frequently gay and lesbian people then turn around and project the same attitudes outward towards trans folks (not necessarily assuming the sexual orientation of those posting on this site – just a general observation).

13. TANK says

Most transgender individuals are straight or were straight identified at some point in their lives.

I don’t see the problem here. Is this person harming anyone? I personally wouldn’t care if he identified as a mastadon. Whatever works, and be polite and respect it by using the proper pronouns… Is this person, in fact, a man? What does that matter? The dichotomy in gender studies departments between gender and sex isn’t biological, but social, so why should scientific facts matter in the gender you identify?

While the goal based on bad science that all gendered behavior is socialized and thus mutable is so false as to not be worth taking seriously anymore as anything but a failed political theory, the harmful aspects of gender binary are pretty much all socialized. No genetically programmed gay bashers and domestic violence perps (which go hand in hand).

Still, I don’t see the problem…

14. GregV says

I don`t get why anyone has issues with this individual`s choices, either.
    Most gay men, straight men and FTM transmen don`t have any desire to be pregnant.
    In the case where any of the above CAN, some will inevitably want to. If ever there is a medical procedure in which all kinds of men could carry a child, we would certainly see SOME men (whose wives have had a hysterectomy, for example} who would do so in order to have their own bio child.
    We could argue over whether ANYONE should be getting pregnant in an overcrowded world. But some do, and this case should not offend anyone any more than any woman getting pregnant.
    When Thomas Beattie explained that he kept his uterus in order that he and his wife could have a child, it seemed like as rational a reason to me as anyone else`s reason for taking any other route to have a child. It doesn`t change the fact that he feels and identifies as male and might as well be respected as who he identifies himself.

15. egm says

Me too GregV. I don’t understand why it upsets anyone to this extent. I also am interested at the amount of vitriol this issue raises among gay men, who seem to be as anti-trans baby as many straight clueless men who have no tolerance for EITHER gays or trans people and are, in the main, the ones that usually bay for blood over almost anything. That’s not to say I think all gay men should be understanding and accepting of such things, but it just surprises me how many get really up in arms and affronted by it. Me personally, I say whatever floats your boat. If it works for you, fine. They’re adults, they can make their own decisions.

16. Angie says

I just wish they would stop calling them pregnant men. They are women who are trying to be men but as long as you have a uterus and a vagaina, I think that still qualifies you as a woman. How Thomas Beatty was allowed to change his/her birth certificate is beyond me. Sure you can change your outward apperance, but you can’t change your DNA.
    I think these people are all just looking for attention and a few bucks. Live your life however you want but you don’t have to do it on the public stage.

17. D says

Real Woman – Actually you can change your DNA. My friend who is female had a bone marrow transplant and the donor was male. So she now has the donor’s DNA (who is her brother). So she has male DNA.

As for the whole pregnant man thing. I agree with some that the title of “pregnant” man is misleading but honestly to each their own. It is his/her own life and I say bravo for living it to the fullest. It isn’t bothering me, I don’t see why it should bother anyone else.

18. Good little Catholic girl turned nice Jewish young man says

Gender and sexual orientation are as yet, unexplainable through science. Although, gender can supposedly be broken down to brain chemistry, etc.

For those who think transsexuals do not have or want children ever…we do. It does not matter if you are a transman or a transwoman, many transpeople have children. Some have kids prior to transition, others during transition (often unplanned), and the rare few (Beatie being the only legally male one who was public anyhow) have children after transition. Now, not everybody agrees with other transpeople’s choices when it comes to having their own children, etc. The same way many people in the gay community and even in the straight community feel about “unnatural” forms of pregnancy such as in vitro fertilization, surrogacy, etc.

I plan on having a child. I am not going to let what society says keep me from doing so. I don’t know that I will carry it, but my partner who is also a ftM transsexual has expressed interest in carrying our child. I have no problem with this. It does not challenge his masculinity and in my eyes, a REAL MAN would be able to swallow his pride and have a child for their partner if they were better able to do so.

I am – for lack of terms that most of the Gay community would not know or even bother to learn – “butch” and my partner is somewhat more “femme.” But, he is every bit as male as I am and I’d seriously hurt anyone who tried to hurt him or convince him otherwise.

Granted, pregnancies milked purely for media attention bother me. However, publicizing something that is actually not as uncommon as some ftMs (such as the above guy) would like to believe…is not a bad thing, in my opinion. I do worry about exact language. Calling the guy the first transsexual in Spain to yada yada yada pretty much makes invisible anyone who did exactly as he is doing with less fanfare. There are many people in the world who are both transsexual and parents. I think the point is that we are capable of having families, too. Most of my family is under the misguided assumption that my transition will lead to a lonely hard life without any possibility of family. I know from my own friends in the ftM community that this is false.

Waiting on the world to change in Wichita (KS),