Comments

1. says

I don’t think he’s a shoo-in based on the razor-thin lead and all the absentees left to count, but the fact that Murphy did as well as he did—regardless of the final outcome—already proves the country’s continuing distaste for Republicans. Even Republicans (the district is superred!) can hardly stand Republicans.

2. Wayne says

So yet again our choices are to vote Republican or vote for a Democrat who believes that a Separate 2nd class marriage status is somehow considered Equal (not to mention a politician who will easily backtrack and cower when confronted on U.S. military discrimination against gay Americans).

3. doro says

as long as it’s not a republican, Amen to that. Republicans are getting more and more homophobic it’s shocking. I don’t know what we ever did to them to deserve such hate from them. I wish this guy supported gay marriage but then again if he says that loud he can loose the seat. oh well.

4. Wayne says

If neither Republican or Democrat support our equality what does it matter in the end? I think it’s time that we wake up to the fact that the Democrats are just paying us lip service to get our votes, once in office, they backtrack and cower away from any fight involving LGBT issues. I am outraged by Republican bigotry, but at least they are honest about it. I am disgusted by Democrats who promise to stand up for equality only to betray our trust once the reach office.

It’s time that the gay community shows the Dems that there is a price to pay for political betrayal. Stop blindly giving them our money and support until we see some actual CHANGE!

5. Thomasina says

There is a HUGE difference between a 65-POINT lead (which you say Scott Murphy holds in the headline) versus a 65-VOTE lead (which you say he holds in your article body). For instance, Obama beat McCain by about 9 million votes but only about 7 points. Please clarify which you mean in this piece.

6. Derrick from Philly says

“Democrats just rely on thinking gays won’t vote Republican no matter what. So they consider gays already ‘in the bag’.”

Welcome to the club. But eventually, we blacks (the ones with sense) knew it was a convenient marriage: Democratic Party/Black Americans.

7. craigbear says

I’m with Thomasina on this one: a 65-POINT lead would mean that Murphy got 75 per cent of all the votes cast and Tedisco got just 10, not that only 65 VOTES separate the two.

8. Juliana says

Don’t worry. I don’t take too much from the gay marriage/ROTC thing. If Scott Murphy won the race and was named Senator tomorrow, his first phone call would be to the Empire State Pride Agenda to “clarify” that he supports gay marriage and opposes anti-gay military policies. This is just what Democrats feel safe doing in Republican districts.

9. K says

Thomasina and craigbear- I don’t know if you’re both feeding off of each other’s frustration or if neither of you read the title or the copy or the article, but since you commented several hours after Andy originally posted you can see that the headline clearly says Murphy is ahead by 65 VOTES and overcame a 20 POINT DEFICIT during the campaign. Why would the campaign be open if Murphy led by 65 points? Aravosis is calling for Murphy to bow out because Tedisco has gone to court? Asking for someone who has a lead to withdraw because it would make life for everyone else easier and settle the issue? Does he think the leader in all future elections with a close count should withdraw? What a load of crock.

10. Derrick from Philly says

JT,

you give me a Voting Rights Act, a Civil Rights Act, Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, a great man like Sargent Shriver, attempts at correcting 300 years of oppression through Great Society Programs, attempts at affirmative action, school integration to achieve fairness in education, maybe 95% of black elected officials in this country, a national convention that includes people that look like me, and BARACK OBAMA; I’ll give you my vote, and 50 years of loyalty.

Plus Babs Streisand told to do it.

11. JT says

Derrick : Understood. But (at the risk of ticking off Barbra), Winston Churchill said there is no loyalty in politics. And maybe there shouldn’t be, after a while. (Makes them complacent).

12. Derrick from Philly says

JT,

I understand where you and many other gay/Lesbian folk are coming from also: full marriage rights are non-negotiable.

It took a while for Lyndon Johnson to see full voting rights for black people as non-negotiable, and many in his own party stood against him. Eventually, those bigots left the Democratic Party, and civil rights became synonymous with Democratic Party policies. Same thing will happen for gay marriage rights. It will take time.

Gays have been a recognizable minority for how long? Many Americans still don’t even understand the concept of “sexual orientation”. More education is needed.

Democrats give you a voice within their party; Republicans give you their flat pale asses to kiss.

13. John says

I hate to say it, but I fear that Obama will just end up dumping us after having used us. I’m so fucking sick of it….Why bother to be involved at all?