Crime | Gay Rights | Iraq | News

Fliers, Videos Reveal Ongoing Death Campaign Against Iraqi Gays

The BBC posted disturbing video of what they say is a young Iraqi gay man being forced to strip at a police post for wearing women's clothes.

Iraqi Watch the report, AFTER THE JUMP...

They report that these sorts of videos are circulated on mobile phones in the country: "The sobbing boy, who appears to be about 12, tries to explain that his family made him do it to earn money, as they have no other source of income. The scene, apparently filmed in a police post, reinforced reports of a campaign against gay men in Iraq which activists say has claimed the lives of more than 60 since December."

The L.A. Times reports that fliers have been posted around Sadr City in eastern Baghdad threatening death to homosexuals:

"'If you don't cease your perverted acts, you will get your fair punishment,' read the warnings, which were posted on walls on a variety of streets around the neighborhood. On some were scrawled the names of two or three local men suspected of being gay, says one resident, who estimates he saw about 15 names in all. The fliers were signed by a previously unknown group calling itself the Platoons of Righteousness. In addition, graffiti reading 'we will get you, puppies' -- a derogatory Iraqi term for gays -- was sprayed on walls in red paint. Residents said the fliers and graffiti were removed after a few hours, though it wasn't clear by whom."

Watch the BBC report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. How can you convince people who cling to religion that homosexuality and gender role identity are not choices? How can you explain the concept of sexual orientation--not just in Bagdad, but also in Charleston, Birmingham, Shreveport, Witchita, Salt Lake City, etc.

...'course in American places where fundamentalist Christians "rule" you don't have the police and family members killing gay people, or do you?

Were Iraqi Gays murdered under Sadam?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 20, 2009 10:57:03 AM

2. Derrick, I'm not an Iraqi but from the Iraqis I know, my impression is that under Saddam, the situation was much safer. There was a vibrant--but very underground--community, especially in Baghdad. That community has been destroyed since the war.

Posted by: Ano | Apr 20, 2009 11:52:43 AM

3. Thanks, ANO

Do your friends say that it's the Shi'ite who are behind the witch hunts and deaths, or are the Sunnis just as guilty?

Incredible...the Americans liberate Iraq, and that frees Iraqi Islamic fundamentalists to purge (murder) homosexuals from their country. Incredible. But atleast Afgani Gays must be better off now than under the Taliban? I guess?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 20, 2009 12:14:52 PM

4. I don't care if the fucking camel jockeys are gay or not. Let them kill each other off. The middle east would be a wonderful place for AIDs to take hold.

Posted by: Carl Rice | Apr 20, 2009 2:17:05 PM

5. @Carl Rice: you are a disgusting human being. you don't even deserve a proper response, i just feel sorry for you.

Posted by: T.I. | Apr 20, 2009 3:27:18 PM

6. As a queer college student I find Carl's comments disdainful and typical of the underlying racism among the mainstream queer culture. We should care about queer issues in the middle-east and issues of discrimination everywhere. Isolating our advocacy is hypocritical and self-defeating.

I'm consistently disappointed by the utter lack of self-reflexivity, which is displayed by much of our community. It isn't one I, and many other young queer people, feeling comfortable growing into.

Posted by: Alex | Apr 20, 2009 3:30:53 PM

7. Absolutely heart wrenching.
    I wish all Iraqi gays and lesbians could get amnesty in more liberal nearby country like Israel.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 20, 2009 6:57:09 PM

8. Alex, all of my gay friends are compassionate and self reflective. I`m also in an interracial same sex relationship and have never encountered a moment of racism because of it within the gay community.
    Carl makes both homophobic and racist comments, and I suspect that nearly every gay reader of this blog would agree with you that his comments are disgusting. But you can`t hold anyone else accountable for what he says.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 20, 2009 8:31:44 PM

9. I agree with Carl to a point. Let them kill each other (except the gays) bring them here I bet some are pretty cute hahah. As for AIDS well that is disgusting! But I do applaud Carl for saying what he believes

Posted by: cp | May 8, 2009 12:22:27 AM