Bullying | Illinois | News

Illinois Hate Group's Anti-Gay 'Misinfomercial' Attacks 'Day of Silence'

Ifi

The Illinois Family Institute, a certified hate group, has just released a fear-mongering, disgusting, lie-filled video about the upcoming Day of Silence on Friday, April 17. The Day of Silence, sponsored by GLSEN and now in its 13th year, is a day on which school kids across the nation take a vow of silence to draw attention to bullying, name-calling and harassment in the nation's schools.

Coincidentally, this year's Day of Silence falls on what would have been Carl Hoover-Walker's 12th birthday.

So how many children were harmed during the filming of the Illinois Family Institute's "misinfomercial"? If they get what they want, certainly many more than the twenty or so duct-taped youngsters who were forced to take part in it.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Via Good as You and JoeMyGod)

Comments

1. It's a shame that they don't allow comments on a video they titled "Take a Stand." Guess it's ok for them to take a stand against civil rights and to promote hate, but they don't want anyone to take a stand against them.

Posted by: David | Apr 15, 2009 3:15:44 PM

2. OH HELL NO.

Posted by: heist | Apr 15, 2009 3:16:57 PM

3. Wow, these folks are really in panic mode aren't they. Their propaganda is way over the top. What a bunch of whiners... "We're upset because it's not OK to discriminate against gay people anymore..."

Posted by: Mike | Apr 15, 2009 3:26:32 PM

4. the word "smarmy" comes to mind.

Posted by: alguien | Apr 15, 2009 3:28:09 PM

5. oh my god...

Posted by: peter | Apr 15, 2009 3:32:16 PM

6. That's right. Stand up, be heard, express your bigotry honestly. Oppose human equality and we'll make sure not to treat you like equals... though more kindly than you have treated us for centuries.

Ugh. I want those 6 minutes of my life back. What a repulsive video.

Posted by: Jexer | Apr 15, 2009 3:32:25 PM

7. This video is just stupid and insulting. I flagged it on youtube as "promoting hatred or violence against a protected group"

Posted by: Devin Tait | Apr 15, 2009 3:37:02 PM

8. Is the median life expectancy for gay men really 42??

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 15, 2009 3:38:07 PM

9. Has anyone noticed the "subliminal" frames in color scattered here and there through the video? At first I though they were just video glitches.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 15, 2009 3:38:31 PM

10. Of course gays prone to alcohol abuse.
    Depression.
    Suicide.
    A direct result of this sort of 'hate yourself' messaging.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 15, 2009 3:47:09 PM

11. No, of course not, Brian In Texas. That "statistic" comes from a "study" by an anti-gay activist that consisted of counting up obituaries in a gay magazine during the height of the AIDS crisis and averaging the ages of the deceased. It's like measuring the Jewish life expectancy by averaging the ages of Jews who died in Germany during the Holocaust and concluding that matzoh will kill you.

Posted by: Pender | Apr 15, 2009 3:47:31 PM

12. @DEVIN TAIT, me too DEVIN. I sent YouTube a respectful but strong note regarding this video since they don't have the courage to allow for commentary. Restricting freedom of speech in most UNAMERICAN indeed.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Apr 15, 2009 3:50:56 PM

13. So when was the last time a kid committed suicide or was killed, bullied, beaten, had to drop out of school because he's a Christian?

Twisted.

Posted by: Timmeeeyyy | Apr 15, 2009 3:51:54 PM

14. I flagged it as well for hatred against a protected group. As I was watching I kept thinking wow...and you people and your WWJD? Well, he would do the opposite. How sad that their hatred and ignorance blind them to the message of their G-d.

Posted by: Tom@NWOH | Apr 15, 2009 3:53:29 PM

15. Haha! Gay people sometimes get sick, get depressed, "accept" abusive relationships, have suicidal thoughts, and die early. Yet they are extremely powerful and effectively spread their homosexual agenda! Wait what?

Posted by: brent | Apr 15, 2009 3:54:43 PM

16. PS - also flagged this video on youtube and suggest others do the same.

Posted by: Timmeeeyyy | Apr 15, 2009 3:57:07 PM

17. I also flagged the video. I also encourage others to flag this damaging video esp. in the wake of Carl Hoover-Walker's death.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 15, 2009 4:04:55 PM

18. There are so many things wrong with this campaign of hatred, besides moving back the clock on the type of bullying that has young children committing suicide, that it is hard to know what to address.

I will address the issue of reparative therapy, the idea that if one prays hard enough they can be delivered from the sin of homosexuality . . . and what? . . . gain the love and acceptance of those who would otherwise withhold their love.

I've been down that road. I denied my homosexuality, I confided in my pastor, but it was not confidentiality and love that awaited me.

I was told that when one accepts Christ into their life as their personal savior, that all things are made new, and yet my pastor broke my confidence in him, and treated me as if I was the "old" person and greeted with the same intolerance and hatred as he did before I invited Christ into my life and told all the young men, the single men in the church that I was gay . . . and placed me on unequal footing with the other men in the church.

There will be Christian Haters out there who would say that mine is unique, an isolated case of an errant pastor, but I think we can see through the hate mongering widespread campaigns that my story is not unique, and if isolated, is isolated to an entire group of people . . . gay, lesbian and transgendered people.

It is not gay people who threaten the holy bonds of matrimony, it is men who abuse, or neglect their wive, husbands and wives who break their vows and cheat on each other.

I was in a church, a church that disfellowshipped me for sins of homosexuality and in this same church, my brother slept with his best friends wife, and his best friend with his wife. I saw several couples who had been close that divorced and married each other spouses.

I see in this country, fathers who are killing their children, shooting them, dropping them off bridges, mothers who are strapping them into their car seats and driving them into a lake. Isolated incidences . . . maybe but you hear it with greater frequency . . . but what is epidemic is the way parents ignore and neglect their children.

They are worried what gay people will do to the holy state of matrimony, but they have nothing to say about a network that has taken something that is not to be entered into lightly and turned it into a reality-based game show.

The American family is in danger, but the danger is a cancer . . . it comes from within the family itself. If there is a God, and if there is to be a judgment day, on that day when he confronts these people with their broken vows, the violence or neglect they practiced in their marriages and as parents, he won't be interested in their excuses about the gay neighbors.

"The gays made me do it!"

There's nothing like taking responsibility for one's self . . . is there?

Posted by: Rico | Apr 15, 2009 4:13:52 PM

19. I flagged the video as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-7lSLmGkq0

Did you catch the Exodus International tag at the end of the video? I know that re-closeted homosexual RANDY "freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ" THOMAS, EVP of Exodus International, is a regular reader of Towleroad (Hi, Randy!) since he regularly lifts posts from here to post on his own site: http://www.randythomas.org/

More info here:

and to counter the Day Of Silence, the "Day Of Truth":

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Apr 15, 2009 4:13:57 PM

20. It is to laugh.

FROM http://www.dayoftruth.org/about/default.aspx

"The Day of Truth was established to counter the promotion of the homosexual agenda and express an opposing viewpoint from a Christian perspective.

In the past, students who have attempted to speak against the promotion of the homosexual agenda have been censored or, in some cases, punished for their beliefs. It is important that students stand up for their First Amendment right to hear and speak the Truth about human sexuality in order to protect that freedom for future generations. The Day of Truth provides an opportunity to speak the Truth in love and have an honest conversation about homosexuality and at the same time publicly exercise your constitutional right to free speech.

Participating students are encouraged to wear T-shirts and pass out cards (not during class time) with the following message:

I'm speaking the Truth to break the silence.

True tolerance means that people with differing -- even opposing -- viewpoints can freely exchange ideas and respectfully listen to each other.

It's time for an honest conversation about homosexuality.

There's freedom to change if you want to.
    Let’s talk.

The Day of Truth is scheduled for April 20, 2009. This is three days after GLSEN (The Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network) will sponsor the "Day of Silence." GLSEN’s Day of Silence encourages students to remain silent throughout the day. It is part of their overall strategy to change how our society perceives homosexual behavior. But the Day of Silence is a misnomer, because what is truly being silenced is the Truth."

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Apr 15, 2009 4:20:39 PM

21. I didn't flag the NOM video because it was laughable. But this one is not only offensive, but dangerous. I flagged it.

Posted by: remix | Apr 15, 2009 4:24:01 PM

22. Yes, please, let's all flag it. I keep trying to see if there's a way to see how many flags it's gotten, but I can't find one.

In any event, let's all send a message to YouTube....

Posted by: Michael | Apr 15, 2009 4:31:18 PM

23. I flagged it.

Posted by: wisebear | Apr 15, 2009 4:43:39 PM

24. Here is a link to a great effort by gay bloggers who will be uniting on the Day of Silence and will NOT be blogging with the exception of 1 single blog post pointing out what the National Day of Silence is and the issue of LGBT bullying and bashing in our schools.

Marc

Posted by: Marc | Apr 15, 2009 5:03:04 PM

25. Gee, who knew that the Day of Silence involved the forcible and involuntary application of duct tape to all schoolchildren? The things you learn on Youtube! At 1:40 it reminds me of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

This video is laughable. It really is like something out of the 1950s, and the black and white style only underscores this. I actually think the NOM storm ad is a greater threat b/c it makes false assertions about SSM that might be taken as true. This video by contrast, is so utterly ridiculous and so at odds with what actually happens in public schools, that any straight person with kids will know it is BS.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 15, 2009 5:18:25 PM