California | Law Enforcement | Music | News

Police Uses Tasers on 'Naked Wizard' at Coachella

Taser

Officers at Coachella subdued a "wizard" at Coachella who had removed his garb and then refused to put it back on, and then got out the taser.

Watch it (warning: nudity), AFTER THE JUMP...

Naked Wizard Tased By Reality from Tracy Anderson on Vimeo.

Warning: NSFW. (via Huffington Post)

Comments

1. The taser barely seemed to affect him. Does it still shock him when he presses the muzzle(?) of the taser up against the skin?

Seems to me, the cop was a little trigger-happy (panicked?). Why didn't they make any attempt to cuff the guy when they first started putting their hands on him?

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Apr 24, 2009 11:54:36 AM

2. I think he deserved the taser. The cops gave him ample opportunity to put his clothes back on, the crowd cheered him on, he got pumped up by the crowd and started to resist the cops orders.

Posted by: ugotmeinsd_619 | Apr 24, 2009 12:00:56 PM

3. My word, he didn't have much to show, did he? LOL.

Posted by: sonnie | Apr 24, 2009 12:06:05 PM

4. I'm weary about the liberal use of taser by the police. The case about the polish immigrant tasered to death in Vancouver airport should have been a huge awakening about the dangers of this 'non-lethal' weapon. (It's especially scary when, towards the end, the taser is aimmed almost right next to the heart. Wtf???)

And I don't get it... why doesn't the police just escort him away? Instead they opted for this whole spectacle in front of the crowd (the physical intimidation and violence). I'm seriously losing respect for the police force.

Posted by: Dan | Apr 24, 2009 12:06:10 PM

5. High taser usage seems to be in direct proportion to the number of fat, out of shape cops who can't subdue one person. Rather than get winded, they just pull out the zapper.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Apr 24, 2009 12:08:36 PM

6. Well, if he'd a been built like Channing Tatum or Brian Westbrook the police might have treated him kinder and gentler? (...don't know who Westbrook is, do ya'? You'll see him in the Superbowl next year.)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 24, 2009 12:12:42 PM

7. I cannot believe this!!! I have absolutely no respect for the police! what kind of threat is a naked man!???!! instead of going on the streets and catching real criminals they opt to intimidate and use force on someone like this guy?

I also can't believe how everybody else is just staring and watching like a bunch of idiots! DO SOMETHING! you as people HAVE POWER!! in fact you pay this fucking cops with your taxes.

It's frustrating

Posted by: Mauricio | Apr 24, 2009 12:13:51 PM

8. Cops are enabled to enforce the law not question the law. Tragic but necessary.

Its sad when something like this happens. The cops may have been hastey and trigger happy, but they did their jobs.

To me, its more about the issue of public nudity. An event like Coachella should simply state a 'clothing optional' policy to avoid disturbances like this. Are they even able to circumvent public nudity laws? I dont know...

Posted by: jim | Apr 24, 2009 12:16:24 PM

9. This made me sick to watch the excessive force. And for WHAT?! They deserve to be fired.

Posted by: macsruff | Apr 24, 2009 12:19:19 PM

10. The cops were just mad because his cock was bigger than theirs.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 24, 2009 12:21:27 PM

11. "Asking for it?" The guy was at a fucking music festival. He was probably high on something. Does that itself deserve a zapping?

What's wrong with you fagots? We used to have a better sense of humor about a little civil disobedience even if it is just for fun.

And by the way, the "rules" of the even don't say "no nudity." ;-)

Posted by: PatrickPatrick | Apr 24, 2009 12:24:17 PM

12. Those officers must have been trained by the RCMP in British Columbia. And this poor guy wasn't evem armed with a stapler.

Posted by: don | Apr 24, 2009 12:24:44 PM

13. He deserved the taser, UGOTMEINSD_619? You're kidding, right? Did you know that police use of tasers has resulted in over 300 deaths since 2001? I'm not going to say they're never warranted, but this man was not being physically violent. He wasn't endangering anyone in the crowd or even the police officers themselves. And, well, he was OBVIOUSLY unarmed.

I think this is a clear case of police officers that were dumb fuck 'average' students in high school and could never really amount to anything of substance in their lives, so they joined the police force, probaby pushed by their bigoted families to do so. They still harbor feelings of inadequacy, which they, in turn, take out on those who 'break the law' and those who 'question their authority.' After all, THEY are the law, and we shouldn't forget it. Bored to tears with being glorified security guards and controlling traffic, they jumped at this chance to exert force.

Sure, the guy should have had his bits covered, but the police were WAY out of line in bringing out the taser. Furthermore, the guidelines for what exactly warrants the use of a taser aren't clear enough. Still, this could not in any way warrant the use of a taser.

I only trust lesbian cops.

Posted by: Jason | Apr 24, 2009 12:29:57 PM

14. I'm infuriated not only by the fact that they tased this guy simply because he was naked, but also by what seemed to be complete and total excessive force. Disgusting. I hope the cops get sued.

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 24, 2009 12:35:32 PM

15. Yeah, 275 pounds of fat cop to a naked, prone guy's chest via a knee - that's necessary.

Bottom line, they didn't know how to get one guy to calm down so they could do their job.

Posted by: TonyRz | Apr 24, 2009 12:38:01 PM

16. I'm from a city where the cops will shoot you if you don't follow instructions. We may not like it, but if the cops tell you to jump... just jump and get a lawyer later. They gave him plenty of opportunity to comply.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 24, 2009 12:51:48 PM

17. What I want to know is, why does the crowd just stand there? This is like the murder of Oscar Grant by BART Police. Everyone was watching, filming it, shouting at the uniformed murders. But no one took action against the Gestapo.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 24, 2009 12:56:09 PM

18. since when did cops give up "subdueing" people with force...adn just USE thier TAZERS for everything under the sun...its like they are lazy or something.....I mean, the man obviously had NO weapons hidden....they just couldn't have tackled him to the grown without tazering him?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 24, 2009 1:01:34 PM

19. I sincerely hope that those three 'law enforcement professionals' lose their jobs for that blatant use of excessive and inappropriate force.

Posted by: RH | Apr 24, 2009 1:06:25 PM

20. They didn’t taser the guy because he was naked. They tasered him because he physically refused to comply with the police orders. That was clear.
    Police don’t do the laws. Lawmakers do. They are obliged to carry their duty. We cannot comply only with those laws that we think are right based just on our own judgment.
    That’s why the LGBT movement fights for equality under the legal system.
    I personally think that the use of the taser is dangerous and should be avoided but it’s very easy to speak without being in the situation of having to struggle with every mad guy who is out there.
    And for those delirious comments who asked for a kind of a revolt to help the crazy dude, just sober up and grow up. And –peacefully- fight for the right to be naked on public, one that I would support.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Apr 24, 2009 1:15:48 PM

21. maybe it's just the California sun seeping into my brain but I find our culture's distress over public nudity laughable. What exactly was the harm being done? I'm puzzled. Certainly I didn't find him attractive but I'm not sure that's the point: I don't find republicans attractive even when clothed.

Posted by: ZnSD | Apr 24, 2009 1:21:15 PM

22. They asked him nicely to put his clothes on; he refused. They attempted to take him into custody; he resisted arrest. Rather than continue to fight him, they tased him. I don't really see a problem with any of this. If this dirty hippie wants to run around naked at a music festival, he needs to contact the appropriate legislative body. Being a jerk to the cops and then resisting arrest isn't going to effect change.

Posted by: Joel | Apr 24, 2009 1:29:15 PM

23. thats the smallest penis i've ever seen....soft of not lol..wow..

Posted by: Ford | Apr 24, 2009 1:31:07 PM

24. Everyone knows you can't take your clothes off in public. And if there WAS some confusion, the tape shows the police kindly asking him to put his clothes back on. He didn't do it.

There are tens of thousands of people at this event and if "anything goes" then there would be not only chaos, but potential for injury. I for one wouldn't want to go to an event where people felt free to do whatever they wanted. Can you imagine if we lived in a world where people could do whatever they wanted? Oh, let's bash that fag because he's an abomination to god. Not cool.

In order to maintain order people have to follow rules.

Now, is public nudity a problem? I don't care. But that's not the issue here. Take that issue up with community leaders.

There are lots of things I would LIKE to do that I don't do out of respect for the rules and my community. Sorry, but his guy deserved his fate.

Posted by: DMS | Apr 24, 2009 1:33:53 PM

25. If this guy had simply put on his clothes after being asked (multiple times!) none of this would have happened.

The guy was high as a kite - he was not making rational decisions, and the crowd egging him on didn't help. If the cops didn't act - and this guy wound up hurting someone (or himself) in his altered state - people would be outraged that the cops didn't do their jobs.

Yeah, the cops used the tasers - three times! And still this tripping hippie would not settle down. In a crowd of that size, what would be a better alternative? Their nightsticks? Their guns?

For the person who commented that the "rules" do not forbid nudity - that may be so, but local ordinances might.

I've gone to Coachella for several years now - and it is a very well run event, especially when you consider there are 50,000 people partying in 100 degree heat. I think security does a great job of letting people be and have their fun. Sure, there are thousands of people there doing drugs and getting drunk (like me) - but they are able to keep their shit together, not act like total douchebags, and ruin the experience for the rest of us.

Where were this guys friends to help keep him in check?

Posted by: IWasAtCoachella | Apr 24, 2009 1:35:39 PM