Rick Warren: ‘I am Not an Anti-Gay or Anti-Gay Marriage Activist’

King later asked Warren whether or not he "encouraged his flock" to vote 'yes' on Proposition 8.

Said Warren: "Oh, yes. You know, I don't think that the definition of marriage should be changed. Yes. I just never campaigned…I never campaigned for it. I never — I'm not an anti-gay
activist — never have been. Never participated in a single event. I
just simply made a note in a newsletter. And, of course, everything I
write it's — it's (INAUDIBLE). It's very low [on my list of issues]. In fact, I am working with a number of
gay organizations on issues that we care about, in saving lives."

Comments

1. John M says

RICK WARREN: But the issue to me is, I’m not opposed to that as much as I’m opposed to the redefinition of a 5,000-year definition of marriage. I’m opposed to having a brother and sister be together and call that marriage. I’m opposed to an older guy marrying a child and calling that a marriage. I’m opposed to one guy having multiple wives and calling that marriage.

STEVEN WALDMAN: Do you think, though, that they are equivalent to having gays getting married?

RICK WARREN: Oh I do. …

2. Wayne says

Next up we will hear from Vermont Gov. Jim “Crow” Douglas as he tries to convince us that he is not really a segregationist.

Fat chance.

3. Yankintex says

Sorry Rick, but what you’re saying is, you were the tallest, most famous man in the crowd and you only yelled “Stone him!” once. So fuck off.

4. MikeMick says

What’s funnier than watching a fat guy trip over his own feet as he backpedals? Listening to him lie at the same time.

5. liz templin says

WHAT THE FUUUUCCCCK?

wow, he is certainly one of the most stupidest people out there. how he gonna say he didn’t say something when in fact, he did and it’s clear as day? IT’S ON TAPE, YOU FRIGGIN IDIOT.

whatever.

6. sean says

All the above comments are true. WE know that. “My gay friends” – my ass. But does Larry King’s audience? Where is the freaking rebuttal? Media keeps kissing this guy’s feet and there’s never anything but the most cursory challenge to his lies. This time not even that. I’d kill to see Rachel debate him.

7. lis says

If he’s going to try and cover it up he should at least keep his story straight in one single interview.

How he can possibly try and pull of “a note” as not being a direction when he’s the leader of a church is beyond stupid. He makes me livid.

8. MikeMick says

@Sean: You’re right that there should have been some rebuttal, but you’re not going to get it from that mummified hack Larry King or the majority of the “journalists” who give Warren platforms for his lies.

9. Michael Bedwell says

Long ago, Warren’s ordained bookend at the Inauguration, the Rev. Joseph Lowery, spoke at an antiwar rally I’d organized in Indiana. One of his lines, a hybrid of some passages from the Psalms, is still fresh in my mind:

“Their lying tongues strut through the earth.”

King doesn’t maintain the rebuttal format as much as some other shows, and, I’d guess that, unfortunately, that, in his mind, Warren is too exalted to be insulted by such a thing—another indicator of how far below religious con artists gays reside on the respect list.

But I’m still in shock that our own Rachel Maddow let Colin Powell tell a MUCH greater lie to her—and millions watching—the other night about the origins of DADT. He was one of the Four Horseman of the Moral Apocalypse that brought it about, along with Dole, Moskos, and Nunn.

And still in mourning that too many of us have given up our right to outrage when such homohating thugs, theocratic like Warren or ostensibly non-parochial like Powell, lie through their fangs and get away with it.

10. soulbrotha says

Please Jon Stewart, if you can hear my voice, have this lying pus sac on your show and SMITE HIM! Amen.

11. JeffRob says

“I’m beginning to fear that the Internet, far from being a lighting-quick instrument for activist, has become another “opiate of the people.”
    lol beginning to fear?

I love that this story is right below the one about Michael Savage saying the sight of two gay folks kissing makes him want to vomit.

Which enemy do you prefer?

12. Hal says

This post actually makes me smile. I think it’s great that a religious leader feels that he must lie about not being anti-gay. As opposed to simply saying nasty things about gays and acting like there’s no problem with doing so. It’s progress! Meanhile, I really have the urge to go gather all the elephant shit over at the zoo and shove it down michael “weiner-dog” savage’s throat. That fucking tool deserves a good kick to the ass.

13. puhleeze says

you don’t have to be an “activist” to spread hate through your flock, you merely have to give your bigoted opinion and the lemmings will take it as a directive from god.

also, notice how he changes the subject when king asks him how he feels about the iowa vote.

14. Grizelda Brown, RN and Sister in Crime says

I could have gone through the day quite happily without seeing this lying sack of piety’s sweaty ass face on my computer screen.

But his lying has to be exposed, I suppose.

And yes, bearing false witness IS still a sin. Don’t you think Warren will get all crackly as his vast folds of dishonest Christian fat burn in that lower circle of Hell…?

15. Sportin' Life says

Hal is right.

If the dishonest and amoral entrepreneurs of the “soul” like Rick Warren now think being too nastily anti-gay is bad for business, that’s good news for us.

16. JD says

The most telling thing that narcissists do is contradict themselves. They will do this virtually in the same sentence, without even stopping to take a breath. It can be trivial (e.g., about what they want for lunch) or it can be serious (e.g., about whether or not they love you). When you ask them which one they mean, they’ll deny ever saying the first one, though it may literally have been only seconds since they said it — really, how could you think they’d ever have said that? You need to have your head examined! They will contradict FACTS. They will lie to you about things that you did together. They will misquote you to yourself. If you disagree with them, they’ll say you’re lying, making stuff up, or are crazy. [At this point, if you’re like me, you sort of panic and want to talk to anyone who will listen about what is going on: this is a healthy reaction; it’s a reality check (“who’s the crazy one here?”); that you’re confused by the narcissist’s contrariness, that you turn to another person to help you keep your bearings, that you know something is seriously wrong and worry that it might be you are all signs that you are not a narcissist]. NOTE: Normal people can behave irrationally under emotional stress — be confused, deny things they know, get sort of paranoid, want to be babied when they’re in pain. But normal people recover pretty much within an hour or two or a day or two, and, with normal people, your expressions of love and concern for their welfare will be taken to heart. They will be stabilized by your emotional and moral support. Not so with narcissists — the surest way I know of to get a crushing blow to your heart is to tell a narcissist you love her or him. They will respond with a nasty power move, such as telling you to do things entirely their way or else be banished from them for ever. ^

17. remix says

Hopefully either Maddow or Stewart will air these clips and compare them to what he actually said in the past. Altho, it probably won’t effect a lot of King’s audience, who may not know they can just check YouTube to see that he’s obviously lying.

18. mike says

Let’s see: he’s not anti-gay. Um, if he’s not anti-gay, then I’m not gay. Rick Warren makes millions of tax-deductible dollars a year, has a million-dollar home, a vacation home, three cars, investments, has a church with 30,000 members who “tithe” at least 10% of their income automatically, has an ego the size of Montana (but that’s probably about all that’s big on him), is the epitome of vanity and self-aggrandizement, and is about the most UN-Christian of them all. But, he is NOT anti-gay. Well, um, what do you call it then, Pastor Rick?

19. says

I think it is great that he feels the need to tell lies. After all, he would like to get invited to the White House and take up the position that Billy Graham is leaving – spiritual counselor to the Presidents. He knows that being a bigot won’t get him there. It is progress that he feels the need to lie.

20. norris hall says

42 years ago I was a bible college student in the midwest. I started dating a white woman at the college.
    I was told that it wasn’t proper. That God meant for the races to be separate. “God created dogs to mate with dogs and birds to mate with birds, I was told.”
    Today, no one at the bible college would ever utter those words.
    Religion changes.
    42 years from now Christians will be as accepting of gay marriage as they are now of divorce.

21. Scott says

Hypocrite alert. Ugh. I just watched the youtube clip that someone posted. I’m reposting it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4QqGbQmU0. Warren lied point blank. That is not some comment on a “newsletter.” That’s open anti-gay marriage campaigning. What is it that happened to hypocrite’s in the Old Testament?

22. Katie says

I despise religious bodies making a political statement on how people’s lifestyles… and then the hypcority!
    My religion teacher seriously equates gay marriage to beastality. I shit you not.
    Then one day, I asked her why she’s not morally outraged by the priests mollesting young boys, and why is she mum on the fact they shuffle them around from perish to perish?
    Oh wait… it’s not ok to support gays, but it’s ok to keep silent on pedophile priests?!?!?!?