Dana White | Gay Slurs | GLAAD | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Ultimate Fighting President Dana White Apologizes for Anti-Gay Slur

Dana White, President of ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was called on to apologize by GLAAD after posting a vlog directed at mixed martial arts reporter Loretta Hunt which contained misogynistic and anti-gay slurs.

White White was angry at Hunt for a story she wrote reporting on new restrictions on backstage credentials at the UFC fights.

GLAAD wrote: "In the video, White rants, “And here’s a quote from a guy who wanted to remain anonymous because of fear of repercussions. Shut the f**k up. Any f**king guy who won’t put his name on it. First of all, whoever gave you that quote is a pu**y and a f**king f**got and a f**king liar and everything else.”  Although White doesn’t state the name of the article, based on the author’s name and the content he most likely was referring to this article on the sherdog website. White’s remarks cross a line - it’s unacceptable for an industry professional at his level to trade in these kinds of defamatory, anti-gay slurs.  White knows the impact of words.  Early in the video, he instructs his fighters not to curse on television.  And yet, later in the video he goes on to do exactly that.  He is also aware of the impact that he has.  The UFC’s - and White’s - primary audience is 18 - 34 year old men, and based on his own remarks about how editors can tell a story so the audience cares, he understands just how influential the words that he chooses can be for his audience."

Said White in an apology posted today: "As far as the gay and lesbian community, my comments were not directed toward them. I have no problem with the gay or lesbian community. I'm actually a supporter of many of their issues. The last thing that I would ever want anybody to think about me or think is cool is to go out and attack somebody because of their sexual orientation. That was not my intention. That's not the way I said it and I apologize for anybody that I've offended or hurt."

Watch White's rant, and the apology he posted today, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't like what he said or how he said it. But I'll give him props for showing that a real man steps up and apologizes when he has done something wrong, intentionally or not.

Posted by: Wayne | Apr 3, 2009 8:52:31 AM

2. Bad for Dana White, but good for Dana White as well. At least there was none of this "anyone I may have offended" crap.

Posted by: Yeek | Apr 3, 2009 9:21:51 AM

3. I really now officially despise and loathe GLAAD, dumb thought police. They really need to get a life. As a gay UFC fan and former competitive kickboxer and brazilian jiu-jitsu stylist, I find that GLAAD is clueless and just wants everyone to think like them, when the best they do is give out awards to pseudo-celebrities for being nice. OOh, gee, someone used a bad word. Get a grip. We have no civil rights, and this is the cause celeb? Whatever.

Posted by: DR | Apr 3, 2009 9:25:18 AM

4. ...I am not the one in the tights... the marvelously form fitting tights... and makeup. And hair product. And... boots?

You're either in the band "KISS" or you're gay. I see no middle ground here.

Posted by: Rad | Apr 3, 2009 9:57:28 AM

5. I would find that apology much more sincere if he was making it in front of me, on all fours, naked.

Posted by: David D. | Apr 3, 2009 10:29:00 AM

6. According to Mister White, he (White) is saying that he wasn't referring to gay men when he (White) said "faggots". Some people don't get away with that on this blog, but Mister White does. Lucky Mister White.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 3, 2009 10:51:08 AM

7. @Derrick in Philly - it seems like 50% of the comments on Towleroad eventually devolve into the use of faggot or some other derogatory term for homosexuals...which used to bother me...but I've heard it so much that I'm pretty numb to it...and I think that was the whole point of "taking back" those words. They've lost most of their power in 2009. At least aimed at me.

If anyone wants to see hateful misogynistic comments that would put Dana White to shame, one needs look no further than this blog and the gay community in general...where 99% of topics seem to devolve into derisive anti-women invectives.

@Rad - you seem to be mistaking MMA for professional wrestling. Not the same thing at all.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 3, 2009 11:00:22 AM

8. That's not the way I said it and I apologize for anybody that I've offended or hurt."

Yay! He didn't use the weasely "if I offended"!

Posted by: latebrosus | Apr 3, 2009 11:11:33 AM

9. YAY! another good looking white guy says something stupid and all is forgiven. Had he been a black hip hop artist there would have been no end to the attacks (even if the stupid comments were well intentiond but badly stated).

Posted by: Lee Adama | Apr 3, 2009 11:27:19 AM

10. I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend.

I meant to also say ANY nearly naked, sweaty, man-on-man, muscled-legs-around-waist, full body contact, hands-gripping-groin and holding sport where to win you have to pin your opponent to the mat like you're drilling into a street hustler for oil... is GAY... and HOT!

Posted by: Rad | Apr 3, 2009 11:28:36 AM

11. what ever has happen to free speech, we will be the death of free speech, because we don't want our f8ggot feeling hurt,, we will e the death of free speech, i hope the rest for the damn lgbt community is happy

Posted by: whatever | Apr 3, 2009 11:33:38 AM

12. Wait, he's good looking? I thought he looked like Mr. Clean.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 3, 2009 11:35:41 AM

13. "...what ever has happen to free speech,"

It went to Mister White. It's Mister Black that gays will go after.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 3, 2009 11:54:51 AM

14. @Derrick and Lee -- this is an interesting theory you have. Can you cite some examples?

The context of how someone uses terms like these pretty much shapes my reaction...not what they look like or if they're black or white.

But if you can show specific examples of prejudice and double standards (other than that insidious bisexual one), you really should because people need to wake up to it.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 3, 2009 12:22:13 PM

15. Well, I guess with a name like "Dana", you have to act like a ultra-macho baffoon to distract everyone's attention from your girly name.

And whether or not the UFC or professional wrestling are the same or not, they are both pretty damn gay. And I say that with nothing but love.

Posted by: Jai | Apr 3, 2009 12:42:33 PM

16. He was mad, used some very wrong words, and offended people. He apologized sincerely. I forgive him. Plus he's hot, and I'm a lookist. So I doubly forgive him. :)

(I know that's not fair, but it's honest.)

Posted by: Hank | Apr 3, 2009 12:46:19 PM

17. "@Derrick and Lee -- this is an interesting theory you have. Can you cite some examples?"

Kanye West. He makes a statement about "dressing gay" or "gay style and sophistication" and to too many white gays it is still seen as insulting and condescending and disingenuous. Even if he apologizes--they want his testicles in a jar. They begin to make analogies (using racial slurs) that they think are perfectly reasonable, but are insulting to every black gay who visits this site...well, almost everyone(David Erhenstein has a different perspective than the rest of us on this issue, but that's his right). They use analogies in which they replace the word "gay" with "black" or "faggot" with "nigger".

If a black person says, "look at you with them faggotty shoes on," he doesn't necessarily mean shoes for a gay person or "gay style", but there is no way that white gays will accept any explanation other than he's homophobic, and should be punished. Mister White says he didn't mean "gay" when he used the term "faggot". His white...I mean, his word is accepted here.

"I'm not your little faggot"-- now, it could have been argued (truthful or not) that that statement actually meant, "I'm not your little push-over" or "I'm not your little flunky"--but the black person who uttered those words could have never gotten the "understanding and forgiveness" from white gays that this wrestler (Mr WHITE) received.

Perhaps, Dana White should call Isaiah and say, "too bad, man...you just don't have it like I do..... Any luck gettin' that back rent money together?"

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 3, 2009 1:08:12 PM

18. So typical of the people on this blog. Some days I really feel like I need to move off the planet.

Posted by: Nick | Apr 3, 2009 1:25:47 PM

19. @Derrick - I recognize what you're talking about now. The racist comments have definitely come out more than once for Kanye and others. But when you kind of generalize and imply that all white people do that, it's unfair and kind of racist in itself.

I don't remember having commented on Kanye, but I do remember my reaction to what he said -- which was more irritation that I feel whenever I think someone is in the closet and they start talking about us like we're some separate thing from them.

That actually annoys me more than when someone I actually believe is straight is just being a thoughtless, ignorant ass throwing around 'faggots' like Isaiah or Dana White did.

It's awesome that you call attention to the racist stuff when it happens, because people need to think about where they're coming from on issues and why they might be fucked up...but it's good not to generalize the way people like that do when you're calling them out.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 3, 2009 2:20:19 PM

20. Interesting comments... As for Dana, I commend him for the apology.

You have to remember people, the base of it is this.. the words "fag" "faggot" "gay" being used as a major negative for so many years, is embedded. It's like anyone using "Jesus Christ" as a swear word and not being Christian. Or the phrase "OH MY GOD", and being Atheist, etc.

So, him using that phrase while being angry is similar to a knee jerk reaction. Try being around a bunch of 18-35 str8 males for majority of your life/time you would use phrases like that while angry too.

Now don't start, I am a gay male, and have been a fan of UFC for many years, and to see him go off the handle is rare (well on camara that is).

Bottom line - we need to start to train the kids not to use "thats gay" or "faggot" and such as cut downs/insults/etc.

Posted by: Hawk | Apr 3, 2009 2:35:58 PM

21. DR,

you put our your own self-loathing ignorance on the joe.my.god blog on this topic too.

a) you are a self-loathing homo. other people are hurt by the use of the word 'faggot' when it is pejorative.

b) glaad has done a lot of good work for ALL OF US, raising the public respect level considerably.

c) no one GIVES A FUCK about your martial arts history except you. it doesn't mean your opinion is worth listening to. it probably means that's where your internalized homophobia comes from.

get a clue, and spare the blogosphere your moronic thoughts.

Posted by: Realness | Apr 3, 2009 3:02:53 PM

22. If we start accepting that contextual understanding of slurs, then we also need to take dwayne chapman's use of the n word as not referring to black in a negative way. I think the semantic theory is superior--context insensitive, it always means something bad.

This wasn't an apology, then, if it wasn't directed toward the "community"-- if we're to seriously entertain the truth of the contextual meaning of bigoted slang over the semantic.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 3, 2009 3:26:43 PM

23. Reprehensible were his comments. I can think of a few others who have lost their jobs for such hateful remarks. He is truly not much of a man to degrade her as a women nor to slur gays with his anti-gay venom. UFC is tedious at best and is a repository for fans that are for the most part don't know what it takes to be a real man or women, gay or not. What a joke of a human being!

Posted by: Mike | Apr 3, 2009 3:30:03 PM

24. I love UFC because you get to watch hot ripped guys go at it and grapple each other. Turns me on. A little ironic for Mr. White isn't it.

Posted by: James | Apr 3, 2009 3:47:40 PM

25. @Realness... get over your bad self. He's a guy who used what you think is a bad word. Oh my god, the sky is falling!

Whatever. The only thing I loathe are Politically Correct Thugs like yourself who demand that everyone be think alike, look alike, and act alike, because "we're all queer".

Posted by: DR | Apr 3, 2009 4:05:15 PM