Westboro Baptist Church Planning Suicidal Exodus?

Wbchurch

Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church recently left a blog post that has some wondering if the extremist group is planning a mass suicide (a la Jonestown). A little excerpt from the post (link goes to WBC blog) written in their typical hag-alect:

Wbc "We are particularly urgent about it, because the time is shortly to
come when we will grant you your wicked wish, Doomed america!  Your
smart-assed pundits and foul-mouthed politicians have for years told us
to pack up and leave if we don’t like this filthy little cancerous boil
on the butt of the earth.  You all think you’re so clever that you can
come up with such cutesy little quips.  You’re collectively so Bible
dumb that you don’t know what you’re saying.  So let me help you out.

"Look
at the examples in scriptures when a nation – or world – of Godless
rebels cry out at God’s patient Saints to get the hell out!  Noah got
on the ark and God shut the door – then the entire population of the
world was wiped out.  YAY!

"Lot tried to get his sons-in-law to
listen and leave Sodom with him – but they liked their country and told
him he was crazy.  He left.  They were toast!  YAY!

"Before God
wholly wiped out the greatest army in history, he had to get his people
to “come out with great substance”. (Genesis 15:14)  YAY!

We gotta go, peeps!  We gotta go!  And when we do, it’s time for this
filthy nation to receive of all the plagues that your Creator has
promised.  The reason there is such urgency in those words … such
passion in the irresistible call from our Saviour, Husband, and Friend
… is because when that time comes for this rebellious nation – which is
spiritually called Babylon and has become literally Babylon by the
inexplicable and forcible snatching of that Mesopotamian land where
ancient Babylon sat – it is going to be very fast and very violent,
such that all mankind is utterly and simply amazed.

"So when you see us drop in, tell you about why God has begun your march
to destruction, and then get out – it’s because the time is short.  We
have a job to do, and very little time to do it…When we’re done, we will
leave your filthy land and be placed safely out of the reach of the
horror that will then land upon you swiftly and certainly – in one hour."

(gossip boy via joe.my.god)

Comments

1. Clarke says

Here’s an idea for a sign:

“Thank GOD for those fucktards leaving.”

What that even means, I don’t care. Ok, I care slightly. Care about that poor sad baby girl who signs “God hates the world” on youtube, that they’ll ‘take’ with them…

2. Darren says

Heh,

I don’t buy it. People who commit suicide usually just do it. They don’t leave big gaping notes on their web sites claiming they will do so in “one hour” giving police, fire, and ambulance individuals time to interfere with their “grand glorious plan”…. what a bunch of hooey.

Mind you, that’s if they are in their right minds… a topic that deserves a blog of its own.

3. Raven says

If you are going JUST GO. We would be happy to throw a parade for your leaving. The sad truth is the only place that would be a perfect match for you is some terrorist cell in the bowels of Afghanistan. No one else would dare take those nut jobs.

4. Mark (another one) says

Why am I not surprised and can only hope the Topeka Police, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, and all other appropriate agencies are watching them 24 x 7.

If this is a real threat, they’ll probably try to “save” others by taking them along to their rapture. “…. it is going to be very fast and very violent, such that all mankind is utterly and simply amazed.”

5. Bart says

Can I stir the kool-aid for them? Pleeeeese! You know, there isn’t a hell deep enough or hot enough to incinerate the disgust that is Fred Phelps and his followers. The fact they do their evil in Christ’s name makes them all the more vile and deserving of their own demise. But then again, that’s actually giving these roaches a little too much credit. They’ve substance-less, a gnat in the world where real truth and real justice and real Christians will rise up and take back the word for ALL people and for love. So all joking aside, I guess it’s really a matter of ‘don’t go away mad, just go away.’

6. Rad says

I think this crosses the line from “Fringe Whacko” to deeply psychotic cult bordering on David Karesh (sp?) and the Branch Davidians if not American Taliban. At what point will the FBI or ATF pull up to their door with a front end loader and flak vests? If this is not reeking of Jihadist fundamentalistic terrorism within our borders, I don’t know what is?

Please, someone, put these nut jobs away, already!

7. RH says

Wait, “the irresistible call from our Saviour, Husband, and Friend”? Are the guys married to Jesus, too? Isn’t that form of marriage a little… gay?

8. says

We should be so lucky, but I believe they’re referring to “The Rapture” where all the righteous people of the earth will instantly disappear and go to heaven…leaving all the sinners of he word to suffer the apocalypse. Of course they say this will happen soon, but “soon” in a biblical time frame an be thousands of years.

I don’t think these people fit into the catagories of cults who kill themselves.

9. Joel says

Personally, to me it sounds like they are going to bomb something and then hope to make their escape to some one of those African countries that hate gays. This actually worries me a bit.

10. Merlinmaster says

I think we should have a tea pary of our own and send them thousands of packs of Kool-Aid in Rainbow colors!

Silly Sodomites, that Kool-aid is for Christians.

11. rich says

I agree with Joel, I hope somebody is keeping an eye on these freaks. Sounds like they are gonna try to “hasten” the “rapture”, and make a quick get away.

12. alguien says

if they want to do a mass suicide, well fine & dandy. but there are children in their numbers who certainly don’t deserve such a fate and should be rescued if this is true.

13. Piet says

My guess it’s just some pyscho rapture babble. Though I’ll gladly mix the koolade. There’s a special place in Hell for Fred and his adult family members.

14. says

Instead of suicide, I’m seeing a “Mexico compound” in their future, a la some of the radical Mormons.

Or they could just be hoping to increase the number of hits on their website and then reveal that they have been called to stay and continue their “ministry.” Didn’t Oral Roberts try something like this a while back…”God will take me home unless I raise x million dollars.”

Death, the ultimate marketing tool. Ugh.

15. JasonFreed says

I think this is a red flag for the FBI + Counter terrorist task force. This sounds just like the rhetoic that preceded the Tokyo Sarin gas attack in ’95.

16. says

As much as I’d like to see these ‘mo foes go, you have to give them a little credit for undermining the credibility of the religious right. I say they should stick around a little longer.

17. says

A lot of this sounds like these deranged lunatics are planning on *bringing* about an Apocalypse and taking a lot of innocent people with them. I hope that your government is keeping a close eye on the Phelps farm/compound/dry well in basement…

Otherwise, have a nice trip, Fred! Say hi to the devil for us when you get there! Man, the look on your face when the elevator goes down and not up is going to be classic!

18. Danny says

Did anyone actually read what they posted? They have never in their history threatened suicide and their latest post does not threaten or suggest suicide. They are comparing themselves to Biblical saints who departed from the lands that rejected them. After these saints depart, the “wicked” lands are punished by God. In all of these examples, the saints that depart are still very much alive; it is the “wicked” who remain that get killed by God. All of this suggests to me that they are threatening to relocate abroad, not commit suicide.

I hate these people as much as anyone, but it does no one any good to spread false rumors or to show ourselves to be sloppy readers.

19. Em says

QUOTE: “”Lot tried to get his sons-in-law to listen and leave Sodom with him – but they liked their country and told him he was crazy. He left. They were toast! YAY!

“Before God wholly wiped out the greatest army in history, he had to get his people to “come out with great substance”. (Genesis 15:14) YAY!”

UNQUOTE

————————————–

Urm, they do realise the bible is a slightly entertaining but total fabrication don’t they? That “Lot and his sons” were a story?

No, oh dear….Silly them.

20. Em says

The trouble is, they won’t “leave the kids alone”. They’ll want to take the kids with them, waco style.

These guys need watching like hawks, covertly. If they’re threatening this then the Feds are gonna be in real trubs down the line if those kiddies go up in smoke and nothing was done about it.

21. patrick nyc says

I’ve always wondered, where does this group get their money? I mean who would belong to this group?

Posted by: dm | Apr 24, 2009 2:06:43 PM
    —————-
    dm

They are mostly all related and are lawyers, who get most of their funds from lawsuits, brought against the government and local business people.

22. Jordan says

It’s either about the Rapture, or they’re referring to leaving this *country* – it doesn’t sound anything remotely like a suicide warning. They’re not saying they’re going to leave the earth, just this ‘filthy nation,’ this ‘Babylon.’

The people who saw this and thought, “SUICIDE!” are just sensationalists.

23. fernlaplante says

As much as I dislike the Westboro Baptist Church and their hate speech, I don’t wish anyone dead by their hand or others. Especially when kids are involved. I would rather they get help than commit mass suicide and I think it’s objectionable that people here are wishing them dead. Rise above it, people.

24. says

The way I look at it is that they are grabbing what they can for the ‘end of the world’ and going to lock up tight like Noah to ride out the tribulation that is to come.

Personally, I think as the older westboro members age, they are seeing that the younger ones are taking their place in the crusade so they are feeling desperate… for what I don’t know

25. Scott E. says

It does sound pretty much like a suicide post, but I think they now need to be monitored more closely. I honestly believe they will try to take out others as well. If they have been opposed to gays so immensely, they will probably try to get the last laugh before they go.

26. Bruno says

These people are mentally ill and should be hospitalized. And I’m not saying that because of their anti-gay stuff, it’s just obvious from any Shirleyrant.

27. alex in boston says

two points: 1) I love the idea of sending them Kool-Aide in rainbow colors and (2) If they do go through with some mass suicide as many people as possible should attend with our own signs.

28. cufflinks says

No!!!!! The Phelps clan is vital to the gay rights movement. The Phelps are to the gays what Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin are to the Democrats. Their despicable behavior makes otherwise moderate people side against them! If they ceased to exist, I’d be really bummed.

29. Jersey says

One thing is for certain, they are so divorced from reality in thier ideology that I wouldn’t put anything past them. The whole lot of ’em are hopelessly batshit crazy.

30. Boxerdad says

Sorry, boys, but I wouldn’t get too excited if I were you. There is a long-standing tradition in some christian faiths of believing the day of reckoning is imminent. A hundred years ago preachers would go around predicting exact dates that god had told them. That practice faded away with each date that came and went, so they changed it to “any day now.” I’m pretty confident that’s what they were talking about.

31. AggieCowboy says

Patrick,

I respectfully disagree. WBC has all the makings of a suicide cult. Certainly, the psychological mindset is there. Fred Sr. is viewed by his followers (and views himself) as a modern-day prophet. He believes his god is speaking through him and, literally, controls his followers’ every move and thought. His rabid sermons are nothing short of psychological abuse disguised as religion (lots of cases of Stockholm Syndrome in that compound).

Don’t know what they actually plan, but that blog should be enough for the Dept of Human Services to pull the kids out of the compound. Or, at the very least, to start keeping very close tabs on them.

With each passing year, I worry more and more about WBC turning into another Jonestown. Fred Sr. doesn’t have very many years left in him and I fear that his passing will be the “signal” that the end times have begun in their minds. He’s such a power-hungry man that I just don’t see him “passing the torch”. Instead, all I can see is a real life Rev. Henry Kane.

32. Craig says

They are protesting at my high school as I type! Apparently Corona del Mar HS (Newport Beach, CA) drama dept’s “Rent” really pisses them off. The counter protesters are out in droves – making WBC look a little foolish for even getting on a plane. Well I guess they look a little foolish no matter what they do.

33. Tralfaz says

Yeah Craig – I just saw that on Ch 7 here in LA.

I just hope they don’t cash in their chips while they are here.

I don’t want my taxes to pay for clean up their worthless carcuses.

34. Wheezy says

@ AggieCowboy,

Yes, I’ve heard that when a cult leader comes to the end of their life, they demand that the cult followers end their lives too. Jonestown, Heaven’s Gate, Joseph Kibweterie, etc etc. But personally, the tone of this latest message seems to be “We’re off to the promised land (probably gay-hating country) and all you sinners left behind are going to die.” I think the threat (real or imagined) is to *us* the sinners, and not them *the righteous*.

35. says

First, let me say that I disagree with virtually everything that the Westboro cult says and does. They do not represent Christians, Christianity, or any of the Baptist denominations. However, I have to point out that, if you knew what the Bible says, you would understand that the examples used (Noah & Lot) are not suicide related in any way. The more logical inference is that the Westboro clan is planning on moving to another country.

36. Kentucky Mom says

I worry about the little kids in their group.
    I don’t care if the door does or doesn’t hit them on the you know what on their way out, but the kids…..
    I can only hope that they will be protected.
    That someone within the group will have at least two brain cells to rub together and protect those kids. It’s not their fault they are in this wacko family.

37. bill says

Loonies beget loonies. Hopefully they will not hurt anyone else with their demise. I still believe that Phelps is a screaming closet case! I was raised in the church, (not theirs) and I am totally ashamed of what it has become!

38. David D. says

Unfortunately they sound less like the poisoned Kool-aid types and more like the mass explosives types. Hopefully they’ll just do what dozens of end-of-the-world groupies have done in the past, and find themselves a nice cave or abandoned mineshaft where they can live out their days in increasing disillusion.

39. bg says

They are referring to the rapture? They say they know the Bible so well, then they should know that there is no concept of the rapture in the Bible. The word rapture isn’t even found in the Bible. These people disgust me. It’s people like them that make people freak out and criticize religion.

40. Oscar in Miami Beach says

Good Bye and Good Riddance.Get out if you do not like the way things are and the equality that Jesus came to preach.Nowhere in the Gospel Jesus condemns gays but he certainly condemns bigots and haters like the WBC.There God is the Devil and the the Devil will take them.

41. says

Been watching these guys for a few years now…waiting for the punchline if you know what I mean.

It is time that all religious groups around the world are examined for their potenital threat to the rest of us.

The only thing I have no tolerance for is fundamentalist religious groups. Oh, and I agree with Rich…gets the kids off them ASAP for deprogramming.

42. wondering says

This doesn’t sound like suicide to me; the tone is angry, but it’s just another Rapture-ready screed.

“You’re all doomed, doomed! But we’ll be spirited away from this Babylonian hell-hole.”

43. stacy says

honestly i wish they all would just kill themselves. i don’t think killing is right but i honestly wish somebody would just go into their little homested and blow them all away. how in the hell can they think it is not disrespectful to do such a thing at a funeral i can not WAIT until Fred dies i will be there to spit on his face while he is in his casket. they are all better off dead and ya know what they don’t realize this but they are the ones going to hell.. havn’t they ever read in the bible that god loves everyone and forgives for their sins..jesus christ well ill meet them in hell and then cut their fucking heads off

44. says

I find it troubling that their websites are down now. Not for the grownups, per se, who are utterly wacked out, but for the children.

Whichever way they go, the kids are screwed, it seems to me. I hope the FBI is watching them closely, but I also hope whatever children’s agency that monitors nutcases like this is too.

I fear for the kids. Poor things.