Apple | Art and Design | David Hockney | News

David Hockney's iPhone Still Lifes Ready for the MOMA

Hockney2

David Hockney has no fear of new technology: "Hockney has had the [iPhone] for only four months, but he has already turned it into a hi-tech canvas. It even fits neatly on a miniature easel in his London studio...'I lie in bed and send illustrated art lectures to friends and also my own iPhone paintings,' said Hockney. 'I like to draw flowers by hand on the iPhone and send them out to friends so they get fresh flowers. And my flowers last!'"

A close-up of the painting on the mini-easel, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, a major work by Hockney is on the auction block this week at Christie's: "Leading the selection is one of the most important works to come to the auction market by Hockney, Beverly Hills Housewife, (estimate: $7-10 million), 1966-1967."

Hockneyhousewife

Hockney

Comments

1. Rush right out to the video stord treat yourselves to a copy of the great Hockney film "A Bigger Spash." Lots about his life, his work and his gorgeous naked boyfriends.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 11, 2009 5:02:54 PM

2. Anyone know what app he's using to do that? Me likey.

Posted by: crispy | May 11, 2009 6:21:38 PM

3. Holy cow this this beautiful.

I like Hockney, yet have tired of all the attention and knee-jerk "Oh Hockney's" - but the bottom line is I love his work, and after this update, would really like to have dinner with him.

And I don't care how fawning that sounds.
    The man's approach to his work is genius and utterly unpretentious and charming.

Posted by: Tom | May 12, 2009 3:36:17 AM

4. Btw, "A Bigger Splash" doesn't refer to the classic Tones On Tail song, does it? Or is it just a British Euphemism?

I guess I'm hoping Hockney is a Tones On Tail fan.

Posted by: Tom | May 12, 2009 3:52:11 AM

5. *Anyone know what app he's using to do that?

Colortilt.

Posted by: ken | May 12, 2009 11:49:52 AM

6. OK. This is nothing even resembling journalism. WHAT. AP. IS. HE. USING. TO. CREATE. THIS. UNBELIEVABLE. ORIGINAL. ART?

It is only natural to be curious about the materials he uses to create such beautiful art. Please answer our questions.

Posted by: Kirk | May 12, 2009 11:59:33 PM