News | Space

Mindblowing Photos: Space Shuttle And Hubble Transiting the Sun

Hubble1

Some absolutely stunning and unique photos by amateur astonomer Thierry Legault, who photographed the Space Shuttle Atlantis and the Hubble Telescope side-by-side as they transited the sun. The shot of Atlantis and Hubble was captured just minutes before the grapple of Hubble by Atlantis on May 13.

Large stunning photos here.

Hubble3

Gizmodo reports: "Shot just after launch, the image shows the faraway scene as viewed through a Takahashi TOA-130 refractor telescope (focal length 2200mm) and a Baader solar prism, which gives the Sun its muted look. Strapped to the back of the telescope, the 5D was set to ISO 100 and a 1/8000 shutter speed, the camera's extreme low and high settings, respectively [Edit: woops, the Mk II actually does ISO 50]. Legault used the free online Celestial Observer tool to calculate the best time to shoot from his location. "

Shuttletransit

Comments

1. I love that you are a space geek...I thought I was the only gay space geek on the planet. have a great birthday btw.

Posted by: Boomer | May 15, 2009 9:43:39 AM

2. This is very "2001"!

You are such a geek!

I love it!

Posted by: Derek Washington | May 15, 2009 11:21:50 AM

3. Unreal! Those are amazing!

Posted by: MT | May 15, 2009 11:22:10 AM

4. As one of those rare Gay astronomy geeks myself, I found it refreshing to see these photos posted on Towleroad.

Posted by: Chuck Anziulewicz | May 15, 2009 11:28:33 AM

5. Something tells me there are more "gay space geeks" than we all realize.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | May 15, 2009 11:41:08 AM

6. Fuck, those are some awesome images. Thanks for posting them, Andy.

Posted by: Peter | May 15, 2009 11:58:57 AM

7. We're in a sad state of affairs if you have to be a "geek" to be interested in science.

Posted by: scientitian | May 15, 2009 12:01:13 PM

8. Wow! These photos are amazing!

Posted by: Marcus | May 15, 2009 12:10:19 PM

9. Wow these are amazing images, hope they are real?

Posted by: Palscience | May 15, 2009 12:13:42 PM

10. Too cool.

Posted by: Debt Relief | May 15, 2009 1:15:23 PM

11. DEAR SCIENTITIAN:

The term "geek" used to be derogatory, but in our digital age people seem to be claiming it as a badge of honor ... espcially "computer geeks."

That having been said, here are some of my favorite astronomy bookmarks:

(Astronomy Phil Plait is very Gay-friendly.)

Posted by: Chuck Anziulewicz | May 15, 2009 1:30:08 PM

12. amazing!

Posted by: JerryK | May 15, 2009 1:47:15 PM

13. as a person who loves the idea of space/space travel/and a Trekkie.....I find this fasinating! But I dont understand how they got the reflection on the sun? im stumped/?? also - answer me this...how come when they show the astronauts space-walking u never see te gazillion stars? It always looks like they are against Black Velvet.

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 15, 2009 3:01:31 PM

14. Geek was meant TOTALLY as a badge of honor in my original comment here...I LOVES me some science

Posted by: Boomer | May 15, 2009 3:04:58 PM

15. Count me in, too. On more than one occasion, I've gotten up in the middle of the night to view meteor shows and other countless sightings from the highest geographical locations in my area. One highlight: a dead-on close-up view of Jupiter's rings.

Posted by: Bryan | May 15, 2009 8:33:39 PM

16. Fantastic.

Posted by: Charles J. Mueller | May 17, 2009 10:02:30 PM

17. I love science. I really enjoyed reading this.

Posted by: Debt Relief | Jul 10, 2009 1:57:50 AM

18. Wow! totally cool!! Space completely mesmerizes me!

Posted by: Digger Derrick Trucks | Feb 15, 2010 3:57:54 PM

19. That was pretty impressive. And I agree, "geek" used to be such a bad think, now I rely on the "geek squad" whenever I am having computer problems. That being said, props to all the geeks, I am jealous.

Posted by: arizona auto insurance | Oct 19, 2010 2:49:12 PM

20. It would be so incredible to go up into space. I would be so fascinated just floating in complete nothingness staring out into the millions of miles deep into the universe

Posted by: arizona dentist | Nov 16, 2010 2:50:23 PM