Comments

1. Mike says

Ugh… why or why couldn’t it have Scalia or Thomas! Well, at least Justice Souter waited until Bush left office. He was a great Justice and will be missed. Stephens and Ginsburg can’t be far behind, it is inevitable. Bush made sure his appointees were young so they would be on the court for a looooooooooong time. Obama is pretty smart and savvy, so I’m sure he’ll do the right thing. As much as I think Hillary would be a great choice, I don’t think that would happen. She is too old. I think Obama wants to have a lasting impression on the court. I know I would!

2. says

Look for Obama to appoint a Hispanic, probably female to the bench.

As much as I would have liked to have seen Hillary on the court, she will likely remain at State. She has been doing an excellent job and seems happy there.

Souter will be missed. He was a surprise moderate which threw Bush Senior and his cronies for a loop.

Too bad its not Scalia or Thomas stepping down.

3. jimmyboyo says

It is an open secret that Souter has always hated Washington DC with a passion. Thankfully he waited till shrub was gone and a dem was in office so he could ditch the town.

But DAMN why couldn’t scalia have had that heart attack that his lard clogged arteries are racing towards.

A woman = cool, but not Hillary. I liked the idea of Hillary for the supremes before she got State. She is exceptional as sec of state and we need her right where she is.

4. Derrick from Philly says

Appointing Souter was the only thin Papa Bush did that was a reminder of what the Republican Party used to, that there used to progressive folks in the GOP. Yes, I believe the President will look for an Hispanic woman, and that’s good.

But remember you do not have to be a sitting judge or judicial scholar to be appointed to the court. You could just be a handsome governor of Massachussettes or New York.

5. Rafael says

Republicans are already playing identity politics with this one. So far from what I have seen, they want to make this nomination about race and gender in an effort to hinder the nomination. I don’t care President Obama postulates a woman, an African American, a Hispanic or another White man. I just want the prospect justice to be in touch with the American people and the issues we face. I went him/her to be an effective, persuasive Justice who could finally dethrone Scalia from his influence on the rest of the Justices.

6. Chris says

My money’s on Diane Wood. I am 99 percent sure he will nominate a woman, and of those being mentioned she is the safest choice — she’s already a federal judge and has been through the confirmation process before. Plus she’s from Chicago, so I’ll bet Obama knows her personally.

7. Paul R says

Milkman, that’s an intriguing proposition, but don’t think for a second that Joan Rivers won’t be a top name in this game. She could hire Melissa as an aide, and they’d be unstoppable!

8. Derrick from Philly says

MILKMAN,

don’t you work my nerves. I figured there was some prominent judge somewhere in…I dunno’ ….in Arizona by the name of Debbie Reynolds. I don’t know about Debbie but her daughter seems to know a lot and think a lot.

I’d like to see Harry Belafonte on the court, but we want somebody who’s going to be there for a few decades. Hell, Harry may live to be over a hundred–he’s still handsome.

9. TBone says

Given the comments on the Sunday a.m. yak-fest, sounds like it may not be a sitting judge, or even an attorney. Female, likely, but someone with real-world experience.
    How about Ann Coulter?
    Seriously, though, I suspect it will be someone with legal experience, yet knows how the law affects citizens: my bet is on Jennifer Granholm, Gov. of Michigan, former Asst US attorney, and YES, a former beauty queen.