Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | News | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

White House Reacts to Proposition 8 Decision by Not Reacting

Whprop8

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs was asked if he had any response to the California Supreme Court's decision on Proposition 8.

Said Gibbs: "I have not talked to the President about it. I think that the issues involved are ones — you know where the President stands."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. These people are so gutless.

Posted by: jersey | May 26, 2009 5:11:15 PM

2. It is time we realized that the Obama Administration has thrown the GLBT community under the bus. He is not going to do anything for us!

Posted by: John | May 26, 2009 5:14:54 PM

3. Why did I vote for this guy again?

Posted by: Pender | May 26, 2009 5:15:04 PM

4. Anyone surprised by this?

Posted by: Bryan C. | May 26, 2009 5:15:39 PM

5. I'm beginning to think Frank Rich may be correct - the Dems lack of courage is a big roadblock for our civil rights at this crucial moment.

Posted by: ButchSF | May 26, 2009 5:29:43 PM

6. It is quickly becoming clear that we gays and lesbians and friends of gays and lesbians will need to take a stand on whether Obama is the answer. Into the 5th month of the Presidency we have heard loud and clear that Obama doesn't think much of gay and lesbians rights.

Has he moved on gays in the military? Didn't he say that he would end 'Don't ask, Don't tell' when he was asking for OUR MONEY!

What side was he on when Prop 8 was on the ballot? Please explain his lack of interest during the election.

When is he going to address OUR ISSUES! His actions speaks volumes. Are we to just sit back and be treated the same way Bush treated us for 8 years.

Now I know the Democrates want us to sit back and sing "Kum-bi-ya" but at what cost. At our dignity! It is so offensive for people we helped get elected and who asked for our money and support to now tell us to wait till the time is right. You tell that to the men and women who are still being kicked out of the military. You tell that to the people who only want the right to be legally vested in marriage.

Obama is too busy trying to be liked that he has thrown us aside. This is business as usual.

Please, Please, Please tell me when we are going to take action.

Dawson

Posted by: Dawson | May 26, 2009 5:29:59 PM

7. Yeah - although he's actually NOT standing anymore. He's over there - sitting at the back, deeply engrossed in everything BUT GLBT issues.

Personally, he's turning out to be a huge disappointment re: GLBT issues. And Robert Gibbs? I can feel the disgust and annoyance in his tone, body demeanor and clipped responses. Or am I off base -- he just cringes when he has to talk about GLBT rights.

Posted by: brian | May 26, 2009 5:34:18 PM

8. So disgusting.

Posted by: stephen k | May 26, 2009 5:37:26 PM

9. Please forgive my ignorance, I am not familiar with Obama's promises regarding the GLBT community, but didn't he always say he is not in favor of marriage, just civil unions? Were any of the dem candidtates in favor of this? It does not seem fair to be mad at him when he never really came across as a huge supporter of gay rights.

Posted by: lara | May 26, 2009 5:37:40 PM

10. At least the Republicans are honest -- they oppose gay rights and sing that message to the rafters.

Obama pays us lip service then does nothing. It's beyond patronizing.

Posted by: Dan | May 26, 2009 5:38:27 PM

11. I don't believe Obama is really against gay marriage. He was for it once. I believe it's all political and hopefully down the line, he will change his stance on it

Posted by: Liz templin | May 26, 2009 5:47:29 PM

12. If you're a gay American diplomat, you might be better off in a few months from now.

If you're any other gay American, especially in California, you get zip.

Oh, but some of your kids got to find eggs in the White House. That makes up for it.

Posted by: x-guy | May 26, 2009 5:51:33 PM

13. Anyone in the LA area, PLEASE be at the rally tomorrow when Obama arrives.

Rally for LGBT Equality with President Obama
    Day after the Day of Decision

BEVERLY HILLS HILTON
    9876 WILSHIRE BLVD (CORNER OF SANTA MONICA BLVD)
    WED MAY 27TH
    6PM - Meet to rally
    7PM - Program begins

President Barack Obama, the most LGBT-friendly president in history, will be at the Beverly Hilton the evening of Wednesday, May 27th, for a DNC fundraiser. Let's take this opportunity, just one day after the CA Supreme Court makes its decision on Proposition 8, to show our President our support for his daring promise to our community and to highlight the growing movement towards FULL FEDERAL EQUALITY.

Join us at a rally at 6PM in front of the Beverly Hilton on Wednesday, May 27th.

At 7PM we will be joined by Lt. Dan Choi and other LGBT servicemen & women in opposition to Don't Ask Don't Tell. They will ask for response from President Obama to the letter signed by 136,000 people asking the president not to fire Lt. Choi by ending DADT.

Posted by: Larry | May 26, 2009 5:51:49 PM

14. We cannot be surprised by this -- Obama does not want to stir the pot, and he doesn't believe in pushing for equality for gay Americans, plain and simple, as he's said it before.

We have to fight and get louder ourselves! Obama is not doing it, so we have to shove and fix it ourselves!

Posted by: x-guy | May 26, 2009 5:54:17 PM

15. Martin Luther King Jr. said that "Injustice Anywhere Is A Theat To Justice Everywhere" and that "Justice Delayed Was Justice Denied" Obama has not only betrayed the gay community, he has betrayed Dr. King's civil rights movement. Coretta Scott King often spoke out against gay discrimination calling on everyone who believed in her husbands dream to "make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for gay and lesbian people" and spoke many times in praise of the gay men and women who marched alongside her and Dr. King in Selma and throughout the civil rights movement fighting for her freedoms as an African American woman even when they had no one to champaion their own lack of equality. Coretta as well as Bayard Rustin often stated that the gay rights movement was the natural continuation of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s civil rights movement. Obama has betrayed that legacy.

Posted by: Wayne | May 26, 2009 5:59:17 PM

16. We'll see how well "not reacting" works for them? Gays are NOT going away and are getting more VISIBLE and more organized every single day. The longer Obama and his administration pretend/ignore that gay americans aren't equal in every way to straight americans and don't deserve equality in everything from Marriage equality to Military equality the more difficult they make it on themselves.

Posted by: SFshawn | May 26, 2009 6:04:56 PM

17. Do you really think President Obama really cares whether or not gay couples in California are stripped of equal rights? I do not think he sees this as any kind of priority nor even worthy of comment today nor tomorrow. No "Hope" or "Change" to be expected from him the way I see it.

Posted by: Alan | May 26, 2009 6:05:23 PM

18. Did it really take this reaction to cement Obama's position? I mean, Rick Warren was a pretty HUGE indicator for me. That, and I actually paid attention to what he said in the debates. He placed himself right along side John McCain on the issue of Gay Rights. Lets not be ridiculous here.

I recently discovered a film staring Roy Scheider called Iron Cross. It seems to have an incredible sub story about minorities fighting for their rights, only to lose accolades to the majority. Worth checking into. I can't seem to find when it'll be coming out. No pun intended.

Posted by: Chase | May 26, 2009 6:07:30 PM

19. QUOTE: "It’s wrong to have millions of Americans living as SECOND-CLASS CITIZENS in this nation. And I ASK FOR YOUR SUPPORT IN THIS ELECTION so that together we can bring about real change for all LGBT Americans. I WILL NEVER COMPROMISE ON MY COMMITMENT TO EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL LGBT AMERICANS. As your President, I WILL USE THE BULLY PULPIT to urge states to treat same-sex couples with full equality in their family and adoption laws. I support the complete repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). Federal law should not discriminate in any way against gay and lesbian couples, which is precisely what DOMA does. Americans are YEARNING FOR LEADERSHIP that can empower us to reach for what we know is possible. I believe that we can achieve the goal of full equality for the millions of LGBT people in this country. To do that, WE NEED LEADERSHIP that can appeal to the best parts of the human spirit. JOIN WITH ME, AND I WILL PROVIDE THAT LEADERSHIP. Together, we will achieve real equality for all Americans, gay and straight alike." – Barack Obama, February 2008

I WILL PROVIDE THAT LEADERSHIP.

I WILL PROVIDE THAT LEADERSHIP.

I WILL PROVIDE THAT LEADERSHIP.

I WILL PROVIDE THAT LEADERSHIP.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | May 26, 2009 6:10:36 PM

20. Barack Obushlinton: Change You Were Dumb Enough To Believe In

Posted by: Attmay | May 26, 2009 6:22:57 PM

21. One wonders if the whiners even voted for him.

Though I hated it both he and clinton stated flat out during the primaries and he also during the general that neither of them supported marriage. They both stated that it should be left up to the states. Ca F'd up but that is not Obama's doing nor has he backslind on his promises during the PRIMARIES and the GENERAL (his senate run yrs ago? is a whole different subject).

One must also remember that mccain himself promoted a state amendment in AZ to outlaw gay marriage so...........

Posted by: jimmyboyo | May 26, 2009 6:30:15 PM

22. YES WE CAN (but that doesn't mean we're going to).

what's good for the goose is good for the gander. we're on our own as far as he's concerned. that bus runs both ways, barry.

Posted by: psgoodguy | May 26, 2009 6:37:54 PM

23. Gibbs is just about as irritating as the stream of evil and pathetic Bush press secretaries. Obama is utterly unhelpful on our issues, as was easy to predict. Democrats in general take us for granted. What are we going to do? Support the Republicans who are explicitly hateful and bigoted?

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | May 26, 2009 6:50:16 PM

24. As a block we can support the gop by 5%. Pick the cause and protest!

Posted by: frank | May 26, 2009 6:54:42 PM