President Obama Issues LGBT Pride Month Proclamation

President Obama issued the following LGBT Pride Month proclamation late this afternoon on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of Stonewall:

***
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION

Obama Forty years ago, patrons and supporters of the Stonewall
Inn in New York City resisted police harassment that had become
all too common for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
transgender (LGBT) community. Out of this resistance, the LGBT
rights movement in America was born. During LGBT Pride Month,
we commemorate the events of June 1969 and commit to achieving
equal justice under law for LGBT Americans.

LGBT Americans have made, and continue to make, great and
lasting contributions that continue to strengthen the fabric of
American society. There are many well-respected LGBT leaders in
all professional fields, including the arts and business
communities. LGBT Americans also mobilized the Nation to
respond to the domestic HIV/AIDS epidemic and have played a
vital role in broadening this country's response to the HIV
pandemic.

Due in no small part to the determination and dedication of
the LGBT rights movement, more LGBT Americans are living their
lives openly today than ever before. I am proud to be the first
President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed
positions in the first 100 days of an Administration. These
individuals embody the best qualities we seek in public
servants, and across my Administration — in both the
White House and the Federal agencies — openly LGBT employees
are doing their jobs with distinction and professionalism.

The LGBT rights movement has achieved great progress, but
there is more work to be done. LGBT youth should feel safe to
learn without the fear of harassment, and LGBT families and
seniors should be allowed to live their lives with dignity and
respect.

My Administration has partnered with the LGBT community
to advance a wide range of initiatives. At the international
level, I have joined efforts at the United Nations to
decriminalize homosexuality around the world. Here at home,
I continue to support measures to bring the full spectrum
of equal rights to LGBT Americans. These measures include
enhancing hate crimes laws, supporting civil unions and Federal
rights for LGBT couples, outlawing discrimination in the

workplace, ensuring adoption rights, and ending the existing
"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in a way that strengthens our
Armed Forces and our national security. We must also commit
ourselves to fighting the HIV/AIDS epidemic by both reducing the
number of HIV infections and providing care and support services
to people living with HIV/AIDS across the United States.

These issues affect not only the LGBT community, but also
our entire Nation. As long as the promise of equality for all
remains unfulfilled, all Americans are affected. If we can work
together to advance the principles upon which our Nation was
founded, every American will benefit. During LGBT Pride Month,
I call upon the LGBT community, the Congress, and the American
people to work together to promote equal rights for all,
regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the
United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in
me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby
proclaim June 2009 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender
Pride Month. I call upon the people of the United States to
turn back discrimination and prejudice everywhere it exists.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
first day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine,
and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.

BARACK OBAMA

***

NOTE: Commenters point out that President Bill Clinton nominated San Francisco Board of Supervisors Member Roberta Achtenberg, to be Assistant Secretary for Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity in February 1993. Achtenberg won confirmation three months later in May after a vicious battle with the late Senator Jesse Helms, who called Achtenberg a "damn lesbian" and said "I'm not going to put a lesbian in a position like that. If you want to call me a bigot, fine."

Comments

1. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.comLe says

I know certain people won’t believe that I was just about to applaud this progress, even without action verbs, when I noticed its amazingly FALSE claim that should have been caught by any gay person they showed it to:

Obama is NOT “the first President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed positions in the first 100 days of an Administration.”

Satan er Bill Clinton announced the nomination of lesbian Roberta Achtenberg for Asst. Secty. of HUD less than TWO WEEKS after his swearing in:

“THE WHITE HOUSE
    Office of the Press Secretary
    For Immediate Release: February 2, 1993

PRESIDENT ANNOUNCES NOMINATIONS FOR TOP HUD POSITIONS

(Washington, DC) The President today nominated four recognized leaders in the housing field to work with Secretary Henry Cisneros as top officials at the Department of Housing and Urban Development. …
    Also nominated [was] San Francisco Board of Supervisors Member Roberta Achtenberg, to be Assistant Secretary for Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity…. ‘I am committed’, said the President, ‘as is Secretary Cisneros, to turning the Department of Housing and Urban Development into a center for action and a home for innovation. Terry Duvernay, Andrew Cuomo, Roberta Achtenberg, and Jean Nolan have a big task ahead of them… These four outstanding individuals have the experience, the knowledge, and the ability to make that happen. They will be an essential part of my team’.”

After a vicious battle led by Jesse Helms [“I’m not going to put a lesbian in a position like that….If you want to call me a bigot, fine.”] against that “damn mean-spirited activist lesbian,” she was confirmed by the US Senate on May 24, 1993.

2. David B. 2 says

as moi predicted — Obama uses June as occasion to promote/get behind GLBT issues — he has a sense of moment and history — even if it takes him sometime to organize the wagons!

3. samwise says

We have every right to complain and campaign about the silence and hesitation the Obama administration has displayed when dealing with LGBT issues.

However, equally we must commend when good steps are taken. This statement, signed by the big O himself, is a nice gesture and sign that we haven’t been forgotten. Granted that actions are louder than words, we should still remember that this is the most LGBT friendly administration in the history of the US.

4. Rainbow Rascal says

Whoopee-fucking-do! Can we get some “fierce advocacy” instead of some lip service?

Lawrence v Texas legalized lip service in all 50 states, I don’t need it from the President.

5. Jim Watson says

When is your Democratic ass going to partner with the Democratic Senate and the Democratic House to fix these problems so me and my partner can be equal in the eyes of MY democratic government?!?

6. nycpup says

Um, what he states: “I am proud to be the first President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed positions in the first 100 days of an Administration.” is technically true based upon the “senate-confirmed” within the first 100 days. May 24th is outside that time period.

7. dk says

What a f*ucking liar. What has he done to support the issues he says he supports?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This man is an obstacle, not an ally, in the fight for equal rights for LTBT Americans.

8. ty says

This is a good sign, I think Obama will help us gain marriage rights, it will just take some time. He has probably received death threats if he signs an order, so he wants to let the supreme court decide.

9. JonnyEmm says

Wow. Thank you for the proclamation. It sure is swell. You are the fiercest advocate ever! I always wanted a proclamation. Don’t really need marriage. Don’t really need equal bloody rights. The proclamation is just fine. I’ve unsubscribed to all of Mr Obama’s newsletters/pleas-for-gay-cash. That’s all I’m giving for a lousy proclamation. Not another nickel. What do you think, fellow suckers?

10. Mike says

@Ty

Obama can’t sign an order and repeal DOMA unless both houses pass a bill to repeal DOMA and send him one. According to the change in language on whitehose.gov, he doesn’t even support a full repeal of DOMA anymore.

This guy is still on the wrong side of history, and way behind the curve of most Americans.

11. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.comLe says

Well, thanks, Landon. My desire to want to continue to give you the benefit of the doubt need waste no further trust.

12. JonnyEmm says

Oh, and then to add insult to injury … Former VP Dickie C comes right out and says he approves of gay marriage. He’s a fiercer advocate for gay marriage rights than you are, Mr O! Thanks again for the lovely proclamation.

13. Julius says

Stick your head out of the nearest window right now. There’s a gale of extremely hot air blowing across the nation from the northeast direction. It’s an out-of-this-world, totally unexplainable phenomena. Why, it’s coming from the White House-West Wing!

14. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.comLe says

I believe, nycpup, the point of the claim is the date of his “appoint”ing not the date of their confirmation.

If there were Senate confirmations of any gay appointments in his first 100 days I’ve forgotten, I take it back.

15. gabriel says

Hm, doesn’t really impress me. He finally mentioned us again, but he still hasn’t done anything. And we’re not wrong for not being “patient.” We’ve been patient for a long, long time. In fact, if he hadn’t been silent so long, I probably would applaud this more.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I won’t hold my breath.

16. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

I am happy to stand corrected:

John Berry, director of the Office of Personnel Management, was confirmed within the 100 days.

17. steinway says

So president “O” is pulling the same bullshit New York City is pulling during pride month,using June as the time for lip service,just like New York is using this month as a scam to get gay dollars.Since gays are now wise that New York is NOT the gay friendly city we all once knew.Just as president Obama is not the allleged “fierce advocate” for LGBT rights his sorry ass claimed to be.Man Please!

BTW BARACK,civil unions is NOT the same as “Marriage” its that same separate but equal bullshit we’ve been fed by your kind (politicians) for WAY to long.Instead of trying to bullshit your way around the gays just admit that you are a fucktard bigot and that you DO NOT support full equality for us gay and lesbian tax paying citizens of America.You are a worthless son of a bitch and I am all the more glad I stayed home during election day.Fuckin’ Idiot!

18. says

He is “committed to ending DADT?”

Come again? I’m not sure commitment means saying you’re going to do something you can do with the stroke of a pen – yet not doing it.

19. Mike says

I can’t believe some of the negative comments I am reading here. We get this after 8 years of Bush and this is how some of you respond? This would never have been possible 4 years ago. I for one, am thankful that we have a president who appreciates and respects us. So we don’t IMMEDIATELY get to use the exact words we want to use, but we are making progress. He can help us, but the dude has a lot on his plate right now. Glass half empty, or glass half full?

20. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

And, again, NO, Cheney did NOT say he approves of gay marriages.

He said he approves of gay marriages THAT STATES approve of.

If they don’t, he thinks that’s fine, too.

Nothing like choosing “states rights” over your own daughter’s, daughter-in-law’s, and grandchild’s equality.

Of course, white rich lesbians don’t have to worry about such things.

21. John M says

First let me preface this buy saying that I voted for Obama but I’m glad some of my gay friends are staring to wake up to his claims of being a “fierce advocate”. I said it over and over to my friends espousing all the things that Obama was going to do for us that it wasn’t going to happen, he was just going to be like all the politicians that promised us the same thing for our money and support, I was the traitor, half the people I met that I discussed the issue with were sure I was going to vote for McCaine and how dare I say that Obama wasn’t going to fight for us, he was a new kind of politician. Hope! Change! as they said.

And here we are, I hate that I am not surprised by this but Obama does it once again, all talk and no action. I understand that DOMA is a bigger fish to fry but Obama could end DADT in a matter of days and chooses not to do so.

So sure, throw is this tiny, perhaps symbolic but completely useless bone of mere recognition of our existence, I guess that is all I really even thought would possibly happen in the first place.

22. 1fanboy2many says

When Hillary lost the nomination, I was stunned. All the gays were backing Obama. Why? I couldn’t believe it. Stunned I tell you! I railed for weeks when she lost the nomination. So, I’ve been stuck with someone who doesn’t really support me at all. Great. Thanks.
    Now I read this proclamation and I have to say… nice. I can’t believe he did anything at all much less something almost helpful. I’m stunned. Stunned I tell you!

23. Gino says

Well, the optimistic side of me thinks if he gives a grand proclamation on day 1 of June, maybe there are (real) changes by the end of the month. Or am I just high?

It is a big deal to get a whole month. A summer month nonetheless!!

24. Toby says

@1FANBOY2MANY … Uh, Obama took a pointer from Hillary … she came out *guffaw* with her LGBT Pride Month Proclamation SEVERAL HOURS before him. *waits for all the Obama trolls to come a-knockin’*

25. Martha says

civil unions are inferior to federal marriage

go fuck yourself, Obama

Hillary’s statement beat yours
    so you must have egg on your face to get out
    there before the close of business June 1st.

26. Derrick says

I just wanted to say, I betcha part of Hillary Clinton released her proclamation hoping to one-up Barack and make us gays say “wow we sure missed out, she could have been our President!” At least that’s what I said when I read hers, because I know that she is actually taking action to extend same-sex partner benefits to the people underneath her. Her proclamation also contained action verbs. Although I guess Hillary is in a safer position to work for gay rights than Obama is. Is Obama automatically the ticket for 2012? Sucks that we can’t have Hillary yet. Maybe 2016?

27. Derrick says

I will add though that Obama’s paragraph on equality for all being necessary and affecting all of us is very nice. So he’s on our side about marriage, he just doesn’t know that he is yet. 😛

28. Dan says

You don’t get something unless you fight for it. The “sit down, shut up” strategy that some accommodationists want will get us nowhere.

So either fight for your rights or don’t. No one is going to hand them to you.

PS Obama is a cretin.

29. Antoinette Brown says

ok he said civil unions and not marriage equality!!! seperate but equal! im not down with that! it didnt work for blacks and whites it wont work now!

30. Cyd says

“I continue to support measures to bring the full spectrum of equal rights to LGBT Americans.”

What a bunch of bull. He does not support THE full spectrum of equal rights, which would include marriage.

31. Severine says

Gee, I miss being called “gay”. The word doesn’t appear, except as an initial in that car-crash acronym.

Imagine that, a Presidential commemoration of Stonewall where the word “gay” doesn’t appear.

When you meet someone, do you say, “I’m LGBTQ.” ?
    And spare me the sanctimony, I’m aware there were trannies at Stonewall. But what have bisexuals done for us?

GAY. I’m sick of how the PC language police on “our side” have hounded us out saying this, as if it’s ‘insensitive. Fuck off, GAY men and women have done the most heavy lifting in this fight, and bisexual and trans people ought to at least ACKNOWLEDGE that. Drag queens threw some bottles at Stonewall, great. But it was GAY men and women going to court working for gay rights, organizing marches, responding to the AIDS crisis in committed, concrete ways, for decades that made the difference.
    Ordinary gay men and women coming out to their co-workers and family, a quiet revolution. But we have to share the glory with streetfighting drag queens from one night in 1969, forever.

GAY is the word, something i’m proud to be, and as fond as i am of bisexuals and trans people, it’s not ALL about you. Do we ever get any thanks? No, just more demands, and offense if it’s suggested that wanting to change your sex is different than loving the same sex. Sorry for the rant. It sticks in my craw though.

32. adamblast says

His signature on a gay-pride-month proclamation is all well and good, I suppose.

But inviting a handful of gay soldiers to dinner would have been more substantive as meaningless gestures go.

33. elcamino says

I wish this more to me – or anyone – than it does. He’s behind the times, and over cautious, and this is really underwhelming.

The tribe have spoken, I believe.

34. james says

Don’t be so pessimistic… he’s recommitting to these issues *after* he was elected and *after* he’s gotten our money for his campaign.

I don’t like his plan or his (lack of) speed, but this is a good sign. Don’t treat it like it’s meaningless.

We need to PUBLICIZE this. Hold his feet to the fire. If you work in major news media, work to get this story picked up.

35. Nikki says

Hey, Mr. Prez, thanks for the proc, doc. Now try printing it up on some rolls of official White House toilet paper so I can put it to good use.

36. Sense Please says

1) we should always keep pushing for our rights, like everyone else has in these last 200-odd years

and 2) It’s been 5 months and I really wonder if half the work on the economy, and his behind the scenes talks to allies to erase DADT which he outright spoke about, would be blocked.

It’s a sad game but it’s the reality – Republicans are looking for anything to take him down for a myriad of reasons. Strategically, he has to have fail-proff numbers and a public mandate to do anything – something he also outright said back on the LOGO debate (instead of the bullshit lip service of one Ms. Clinton). I think he almost has it.

I am pissed that he backed into civil unions, after he fought for marriage equality in IL, but I get the game.

We’re going to stay fired up and the biggest gift Obama ever gave was the idea that you can change politics if you organize and we are. I think some of you are acting like he’s trying to block gay rights and that some your own baggage and misunderstanding imho.

Even as some of you start squawking about his claim on the first openly gay appt in 100 days, you were ready to act like he’s a liar; and you had to back track on that cuz he was technically therefore actually telling the truth. He’s a lawyer, not a liar and he’s definitely going to finesse words like we all do to get our point in how we want it and to our greatest benefit.

I say, stop acting like this man is TD Jakes or Jesse Helms and keep pushing – some of you act like you’re hurting him when you should be pushing for our rights cuz they’re OUR rights :)

37. says

1. Obama’s allergy to the word “gay” is bizarre and unsettling. Can Anna Marie Cox please ask Robert Gibbs about this (because that appears to be the closest we get to actual press access on LGBT issues)?

2. I am heartened and hopeful that Obama may be looking at federal civil unions as a reasonable longterm goal. I think the fact that there will be dissonance between the gay community’s need for full marriage equality and that position increases the likelihood that centrist Obama will find it attractive.

3. I am bothered, Michael, et. al., by Obama’s willingness to congratulate himself on LGBT appointments, because that is the only place where he has truly disappointed me. I am furious that this supposed believer in diversity did not think that the fact that there has never been an open LGBT cabinet member was significant enough that it merited his making a truly historic appointment. It’s Obama’s fault, not Leland’s, that his claim to progress is meaningless clockwatching.

I really thought he at least wanted to listen to our voices. I did not expect him to do what we want: I hoped, though, that he would engage in conversation with us.

He has not done that on any meaningful level, and the gay and lesbian people in his administration are not in positions where they are able to speak for us.

38. DJ says

Landon Bryce, Obama said gay in his Democratic Convention speech, his election night speech when the world was watching and at other times. I don’t think he is afraid to say teh word gay so of all the things that you can complain about that is not one of them.

39. Dennis says

Please note the qualifier “existing” before “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” Given the Obama administration’s previous attempts to squirm away from the promise of an outright repeal of DADT, I think the word “existing” is another attempt to move from “repeal” to “change.”

40. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

Sense, please, if you’re pointing at me, I was careful NOT to use the word liar [EVEN THO he did once lie about his gay rights record in Illinois, and about passing a nuke industry bill that actually died in committee], and promptly corrected what I’d thought to be a careless mistake on their part the moment I discovered my error.

But, before anyone pours another pitcher of
    Kool Aid, let’s look at the REAL difference between 1993 and today:

Achtenberg’s confirmation was, as I stated, held up by actions led by the ruthless Jesse Helms, one of many homohating bombs he threw during his long career.

And if he were STILL ALIVE and in Congress, he would have held up Berry’s confirmation, too. Instead, Berry’s confirmation hearing was a virtual luv fest, so Obama can hardly take bows for beating an enemy that never showed up.

In fact, I can think of only one person OBAMA faces in Congress who suggests any degree of homophobia AND has much clout as Helms did, and he’s in the House.

Obama has no Helms, no Nunn, neither Dole, no Dick “Barney Fag” Armey, no Barr, no Dornan, no Thurmond, no Lott, no Delay and yet he is STILL sitting on his hands mouthing pretty WORDS, or should I say merely lipsyching most of the same pretty WORDS he used in his 2008 pride statement.

Yes, there are other homophobes left in Congress, but only Ike Skelton who currently opposes DADT repeal comes close to the clout Helms and all those above had via their seniority, so WHAT’S HIS FUCKING EXCUSE for having done NOTHING of any substance to fight for his gay-related federal legislation promises?

In addition, on June 1, SIXTEEN YEARS LATER, the support among voters for gay rights has radically increased since 1993.

And NOTHING, including Berry’s sweet ride through confirmation, excuses Obama’s refusal to use his Congressionally mandated power to freeze ANY discharges he wants to NOR his commitment to DEFEND DADT IN COURT.

When the ONLY act of any substance he can be “proud of” so far is putting Berry on his payroll….which, in addition to doing NOTHING for gays in the military or military gays in court, does NOTHING for domestic gay couples, does nothing for gay couples in which one partner is foreign born, does NOTHING for gays being fired in the states, does NOTHING to stop hate crimes….how pathetic is that?

41. FunMe says

Maybe I should react the way he did when he saw us in a big group of American and Rainbow flags along with many posters when he was out here last week at the Beverly Hills hotel:

“Oh, I see President Obama signed something proclaiming something about something. I have no idea what he is proclaiming. And yada, yada, yada … ”

Maybe after he DOES something I can jump up and down. Now all his proclamation does is spill out meaningless words.

Until he does something for ALL Americans now, including the GLBT community, I’m keep my $$$ money donations and time to myself.

Next!

42. says

Ok, as a Canadian, I will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of the decriminalization of homosexuality in Canada as well as Stonewall. I live in a country where my husband and I share all the same marriage rights as every other married couple both provincially and federally. However, I haven’t heard a whisper from either our Prime Minister, Harper or the Liberal Leader, Ignatieff about marking the anniversary of the beginning of the Gay rights movement.
    While Obama has been criticized about his lack of movement on DADT and eliminating the HIV travel restrictions among other things, at least he is giving the LGBT community attention from the highest office in the land.
    I feel the tide is changing in the US and although it’s not my place to say; perhaps having all our wishes come true will take more that 100 days.

43. Bobo says

It would be nice if those LGBT appointments had the same civil rights as the rest of your appointments. As president aren’t you embarrassed that you have staff members that are treated as 2nd class citizens. As president don’t you wish you knew someone who could lead the country on LGBT issues including marriage equality for all, repealing DOMA and Don’t ask Don’t Tell?

44. Marc C says

Why is it that 3 months later I am still needing to say, “Great! Now when do I get equal rights?”

Fuck you O! I don’t want a proclamation if it isn’t backed up with a spine. You won’t make it to 2016 in the White House if I have anything to say about it.

45. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

Thank you, Landon, for that reasoned deconstruction.

We still disagree about the lack of other actions, but you are right on about appointments, given that it is 16 years after the first year of the president he is supposed to be so much better than.

Some of the positions themselves might be higher than then, but are NOT proportionately higher to the span of time, but yet the list grows longer of those positions that some keep predicting he will fill with a gay person…Cabinet member [I could almost have believe that], Secretary of the Navy [when pigs fly], and Supreme Court Justice [when pigs, refrigerators, and aircraft carriers fly].

But your ultimate point is one that I can’t imagine anyone reasonable disagreeing with as it is the failure that, as cynical as I am, remains the greatest mystery to me because HE HAS NOTHING REALLY TO LOSE BY DOING IT.

At the fundraiser in LA, or better still today, he could have taken a few minutes to SPEAK to LGBT equality ON CAMERA. It could have been nothing more than another Obama YouTube video and I would have applauded

Yes, realists understand that ALL candidates much trim their sails a little once actually in office. But on gay issues, he’s taken them down and put the boat in dry dock, and taken to hiding behind bumbling spokespeeps, many with their own ANTIgay agenda, and paper airplanes like this one.

Forget sincerity, the hopeful could understandably have dined for months on the empty calories of promises recycled from his own lips.

Satan, er Clinton, himself met with gay “leaders” in the White House less than three months after being sworn in, and even as his attempt to overturn the ban on gays in the military was beginning to burn up in the atmosphere of Washington, they left praising his name, thus undercutting the March on DC a month later.

Why hasn’t Obama done held such a meeting instead of stiffing Judy Shepard? Why had he chosen to create a vacuum in which their remains so little oxygen for hope for change?

46. X man says

I can see the conversation in the White House now “Mr President’ the natives are restless; that proclamation didnt Shut them Up”

O: Dam I thought that would work and get these Queens off my back (No Pun intended)…well I guess I had better come up with something different than. I cant look to weak and live up to my promises your know. Im busy flip-flopping

47. FASTLAD says

words, words, words.

the democratic party has momentum, historic majorities, and an all but assured eight years. if not now, when will they grow a pair?

these are words, polite, inoffensive words, he did mention federal law after civil union but he hasn’t put his name on any order or bill.

there’s where words count.

48. RB says

Whatever! Empty words. While I feel as though Obama will be a good LGBT ally, one day, his current words mean little. Bittersweet to say the least. Another crumb to satisfy our staggering hunger as we struggle for equality.

Marriage is hopeful and about our future lives together. Civil unions grant me a death benefit. Not equal, not the same. Thanks Obama.

49. dc8stretch says

Does anyone realize how many proclamations this president makes a day? On May 1, 2009 alone, he issued 6:

1.) Loyalty Day; 2.)Asian-American and Pacific-Islander Heritage Month; 3.)National Physical Fitness and Sports Month; 4.)Older Americans Month; 5.)National Charter Schools Week; 6.)World Trade Week.

Now don’t you feel special?

50. nic says

jebus, the impatience of some of us queers is astonishing. i would not be surprised if some people in the white house monitor gay sites such as this. it is not for nothing that towleroad was given credentials for the democratic convention. we should be more careful. i don’t like the tone of some of the gay malcontents. we do not accomplish anything by being vicious and dismissive of our friends (the obamas and the clintons are among those). but, even the best of friends disappoint us. such is life.

and, while we may think that everyone should be as enlightened as we, many straight people are not. we should not assume that discrimination against gays is as self-evident as the vicious treatment and lynchings of blacks, browns, yellows and reds. many of us do not wear our gayness on our sleeves like people of color wear their ethnicity. our enemies are many and varied, witness the lies and deceit of the religious right and the hateful woman of NOM, and sundry other organizations. they get their money from bigots.

let us not join them in the muck and mire. we hold the higher ground. the constitution has been dragged through crap by self-serving interest groups for decades. the sound and the fury is being quieted by circumspect voices. little by little, fair-minded people are realizing that all that fuss signifies nothing but the dying voices of those who would prefer ignominious battle to simple human understanding. rome was not built in a day: for now, i want to give credit where credit is due. i must presume that obama and hillary have a stratagem, if not a strategic plan to bring the undecideds into the fold. right now the republican party is at its weakest ever. the independents are overwhelmingly leaning democratic. it is wiser to be a long-term planner. i think that obama and hillary know exactly what they’re doing: appeal to the american ideal of fair play, retain control of congress in 2010, and look toward obama’s reelection in 2012. i’m on board with that.

51. Kugel says

If only Obama was the diva we desired. A black man can have the same exact positions as the strong white woman in the pantsuit, and somehow he is shit and she is Cher.

52. John Corbitt says

I support Obama, but have been disappointed in his silence on LGBT issues in general.
    While support of Civil Unions sounds good, Civil Unions ARE NOT EQUIVALENT TO MARRIAGE.
    We need to fight for marriage equality.

53. RB says

“jebus, the impatience of some of us queers is astonishing”. NIC, how much longer should we wait?

People in the South in the 60’s said the same about black people. “They are just moving too fast”. Really, it had been over 150 years since the slaves were freed let alone hundreds of years without freedom! So again, how much longer should we wait?

You are 100% correct, I no longer have patience on LGBT rights issues. I am angered by the lack of interest in my right to live my life, I am impatient and I deserve that right! I have waited long enough and those that came before me that died waiting waited long enough. It is time for Obama to act and yet he has said and done nothing. Your comment angers me as it should all gays!

We want our rights and we want them now! We have waited long enough!!!

54. Carl says

Someone sent me a link you can follow to find it, but if you just go to http://www.whitehouse.gov and surf around and try to find it, you can’t. It’s not on the headlines, nor is it anywhere under The Briefing Room, nor is it under Civil Rights under Issues. It’s like when they let Rev. Gene Robinson give the invocation before the pre-Inaugural concert — but didn’t turn on the sound system in the crowd or show it on the telecast. It’s a bone for us, but no one else in the world sees it. Thus, it’s meaningless.

55. Jess says

I was looking for more info on how Barack Obama declared June national LGBT(lesbian gay bisexual transexual) month and stumbled across this really interesting campaign BooksOnBoard (www.booksonboard.com) is doing called ” Pride not Prejudice”. They are featuring (and discounting)a bunch of ebook and audio book titles having to do with LGBT pride as well as other areas of social change and acceptance. I just think it’s a really cool approach to the subject that hasn’t really been done before— especially by a more mainstream company. Plus I really like the name haha.

Check it out:

56. Jess says

Check it out:

57. says

From Obama’s LGBT PRIDE MONTH PROCLAMATION:

“During LGBT Pride Month, we commemorate the events of June 1969 and commit to achieving equal justice under law for LGBT Americans.”

LIE #1 — He commits to no such thing when his DOJ supports DOMA.

“Here at home, I continue to support measures to bring the full spectrum of equal rights to LGBT Americans. These measures include enhancing hate crimes laws, supporting civil unions and Federal rights for LGBT couples(…)”

HALF-TRUTH #1 — He must be supporting these measures in his home, because he sure as hell isn’t doing it on the job.

“(…)I call upon the LGBT community, the Congress, and the American people to work together to promote equal rights for all, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.”

HALF-TRUTH #2 — Well, to be fair he does say “promote equal rights for all” rather than “repeal bigoted discriminatory laws.”

Change We Can Believe In. Right. Like we can believe in the tooth fairy, if we so choose. Intelligent minds know better.