Canada | Film | Gay Pride | News

Football Team 'Waterboarded' in Strange Gay, Short Film

Waterboarding

Canadian filmmaker Noam Gonick made a short film featuring hot football players getting "waterboarded" with rainbow underwear over their heads to make a point about how police and military participation in Gay Pride parades show that gay conformists are "willing to do anything to get the approval of the state."

Interesting, because the film looks to me to be about jocks, hot, wet muscular bodies, hazing rituals, and underwear fetishes.

Somewhere in there, that message got lost.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Xtra analyzes it here. Outsports has more.

Yeah, I had no idea what that was about either.

Comments

1. lame

Posted by: jtchicago | Jun 11, 2009 8:56:35 AM

2. Entirely too weird.

Posted by: Barry- Key West | Jun 11, 2009 9:10:12 AM

3. ENTIRELY AWESOME and obviously unrelateable to the likes of Barry in Key West (LOL) or JT in Chicago (Boys Town one would assume) - as it is not kissing the ass of resort loving, Atlantic Cruise attending, vapid shallow, narcissistic gays.

Most gay "culture" is so lame that these two first reader can not even see the humor, politics, and Awesome F-U to the Gay Fascists mixed in with the amazing wet hotness.

Posted by: facts are facts | Jun 11, 2009 9:15:05 AM

4. I call this a Saturday night.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 11, 2009 9:26:28 AM

5. No, Facts. It's just lame.

Posted by: brad | Jun 11, 2009 9:31:24 AM

6. I agree with Facts are Facts

Posted by: Nino | Jun 11, 2009 9:33:46 AM

7. very hawt!

Posted by: dolly | Jun 11, 2009 9:43:51 AM

8. Yea, the message definately got lost.

I think its interesting that the filmmaker takes offense to supportive police and firefighter presence at pride due to a strained history between law enforcement and the queer community. Yet the video seems to embrace football players, which have also been known to be less than gay-friendly. Now I don't have a problem with either, its just seems odd to generalize and single out one group (cops) in particular. I sense he just hates cops, and anything related to 'the state', in general.

I see support from law enforcement as something that can only be good for gays in society at large. Would we rather they still be kicking us out of bars and beating us up en masse? Or would we rather they show up at pride to declare their support? Its progress. Part of assimilating into society involves becoming a little normalized. I recognize and embrace the aspect of gay culture that is rebellious in nature and proud of its unique status, but really I think both sides can co-exist and even overlap sometimes. We shouldn't get mad about gay-friendly cops any more than we should about family-friendly gays, i.e. the ones out there raising kids and struggling to be treated just like every other family.

So 'the state' is beginning to support us, and we're upset about it? Sounds like petty lingering bitterness in the face of a glaring victory to me.

I agree that pride is often over corporatized, but I wouldn't single out 'the state' as the main offender. Honestly this just comes across as hippy, anti-government, anti-authority bitching to me. Which, thankfully, many gays realize is immature and counterproductive at this point. At one point it was certainly justified, but now (especially in canada) it just seems petty.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 11, 2009 9:48:32 AM

9. anti-government, anti-authority bitching is always appropriate

Wes Canada is a nanny-state that still suckles the tit of a Queen and not the fun kind.

Posted by: facts are facts | Jun 11, 2009 9:51:22 AM

10. Its a shame that Noam is such a sycophant of Bruce la Bruce. He had some interesting ideas (and beautiful cinematography) in "Hey, Happy!", but all this short shows regression as an artist with a message more muddled than "Raspberry Reich".
    He's lamenting "gay culture" but is obviously someone who has been steamrolled and k-holed by it.

Posted by: jeremy | Jun 11, 2009 9:52:43 AM

11. Right on WES!

Posted by: David R. | Jun 11, 2009 9:57:34 AM

12. In a reality where there are selfish greedy elitist Gays who vote Republican - no wonder so many comments are from clueless gays who do not realize the state is an enemy of freedom still (even in America's north coast (Canda) ... these gays (including very upscale connected to big cash Andy) miss the OBVIOUS message.

Posted by: facts are facts | Jun 11, 2009 9:58:39 AM

13. His supposed message was lost on me. What's more, I found him using the phrase Fudge Packers to be very offensive. (I don't know if it was planned to be offensive or funny) As others have pointed out, using football players (who are known to be notoriously homophobic) makes his argument even weaker.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jun 11, 2009 10:09:53 AM

14. I've known Gonick for years. He's a pretentious asshole who has been supported by his rich parents his entire career. He's also a total sleazebag druggie.

Posted by: secretagentman | Jun 11, 2009 10:10:43 AM

15. The state will always be an 'enemy of freedom' in that they create and enforce laws. Laws, by definition, limit freedom. But they are also necessary and good as often as they are unnecessary and bad.

I have my own issues with the government, including the canadian government, but I'm not going to stomp my feet and take it out on people who are there to support us. I'm not going to take out my frustration on anyone who works for law enforcement, which still does a lot of good by the way, despite the bad. Perhaps at one point I would have, but we've come a long way. The way to instill change is not to be so exclusive and righteous towards people.

I don't see a solution to the 'enemy of freedom' unless you desire to live in a radical anarchy where there are no laws, no one to enforce them, and the country is basically a human jungle.

Oh, and I don't vote Republican.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 11, 2009 10:18:02 AM

16. Wes you are a tool.

It is not the individuals being picked on in this artistic statement - it is the concept of THE MILITARY and THE COPS infiltrating what still is (even up in Canadaland) a far left movement) - right wing gays were in the closet until it was safe for their careers to come out).

The state will try crush freedom whenever it can - and the fact that we would want cops in our Gay Protest parades is something to be discussed and thought about - which is the goal of art.

You Wes are A Fudgepacker

Posted by: facts are facts | Jun 11, 2009 10:22:42 AM

17. Wes - is a afraid of the Anarchy expressed in an ART FILM.

Here in America those who fight funding for the national endowement of the arts using the same fear of ANARCHY.

What side do you think he would have been on during the culture war and sexual revolution?

Coward.
    Assimalationist.
    Control Freak.
    Conservative.
    GROSS ...HAPPY GAY PROTESTS PEOPLE.

REMEMBER GAY CULTURE HAS TO FIGHT BACK PEOPLE LIKE WES NOW.

Posted by: facts are facts | Jun 11, 2009 10:28:52 AM

18. As long as they are gay friendly, why not have cops come show their support?

Its not me who sounds prejudiced and irrational here.

Putting THE MILITARY and COPS in all caps doesn't make them any scarier, by the way.

And insulting me only confirms your naive, juvenile nature. Go thump your chest and burn a trashcan if you're so outraged, everyone will be impressed at your righteous stand against oppression.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 11, 2009 10:34:00 AM

19. Yeah, not sure that the words "Xtra" (as in the Toronto based gay publication) and "analysis" belong in the same sentance.

Posted by: Peter | Jun 11, 2009 10:38:52 AM

20. I get the point. However, the concept seems very dated. In Canada at least, the cops and military come to Pride celebrations to recruit, not to "oppress". The men and women who make up our police forces and military are not some monolithic entity. Rather, they are (or at least are becoming) fairly representative of society as a whole.

Anyway, the football players are hot.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 11, 2009 10:39:56 AM

21. Its shit 'art', Facts. Pretentious and lousy, and not even coherent enough to convey its message.

Just because some fellow queer made a film with hot jocks getting wet doesn't mean I have to snap my fingers with appreciation, hippy.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 11, 2009 10:40:06 AM

22. I don't see what's wrong with police and military participation during Pride, it hasn't caused any problems in Canada recently. We're not Russia; where a member of the police is likely to put a baton in your face. We're not the U.S.; where Obama seems to be completely ignoring the plight of gays in the military.
    Canadian politics isn't interesting. It's like PBS, it's boring and it'll always be there. If you want to watch something interesting try the sinking ship of a soap opera that is American politics.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 11, 2009 10:49:30 AM

23. biggest waste of video ever. they should be embarrassed, im sure mama's proud

Posted by: KFLO | Jun 11, 2009 10:49:53 AM

24. Wes -- I actually have short hair, and work for a corporation. (Yes I must be a hippy because it is a non-profit providing health insurance).

Snap away -- you have exposed yourself for what you are.

And Canadaland - you are not the world.

Posted by: facts are facts | Jun 11, 2009 11:04:21 AM

25. Well now maybe you see why you shouldn't generalize so broadly.

I smoke weed daily and have never voted Republican in my life.

And not every cop or soldier is a goose stepping nazi. Or republican, for that matter.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 11, 2009 11:11:14 AM