Jay Brannan | Michael Jackson | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jay Brannan's Talking 'Bout the Man in the Mirror

Jaybrannan

Jay Brannan posted a sweet tribute to the King of Pop on his YouTube account yesterday.

He asks: "did anyone really know michael jackson? ever really see him? or did we set up another person as a god, and ultimately destroy them?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Lovely. Thanks Jay/Andy. A very sad morning. Captain Cook finally got Peter Pan...

Posted by: Giovanni | Jun 26, 2009 10:17:05 AM

2. Thanks for sharing this. Jay Brannan is so great and this song is beautiful.

Posted by: Nathaniel R | Jun 26, 2009 10:33:05 AM

3. This is beautiful. I hope others in the business can somehow show tribute to MJ in recreating some his greatest songs.

Posted by: SFScottie | Jun 26, 2009 10:42:30 AM

4. Such a beautiful song, and a tender cover of it. Thanks for sharing.

I disagree with Jay's sentiment, though. The public didn't destroy MJ. He was a troubled, tortured man and this began at the dawn of his life. I hope he knows true peace now.

Posted by: Brent | Jun 26, 2009 10:44:14 AM

5. Brent

I agree and disagree

At first, yeah much can be blamed on Joe jackson and later Berry Gordy, but ultimately we the general public did become enablers and did have a part at nibbeling at his soul.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but in his last press conference he said "...you know I love you..." to the screaming fans all the while his head shook side to side in the negative. Subconscious truth? We the people who enabled his childhood exploitation

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jun 26, 2009 11:26:22 AM

6. Ummm, MJ's troubles were brought on by himself. While it is very difficult for a child star to turn into a healthy adult, he failed big time. Others have done it, so it's not impossible. Don't forget it was his constant need for attention and validation and his huge ego that contributed to his failings, not to mention his twisted relationship with children. The public is not to blame for this one.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jun 26, 2009 1:41:12 PM

7. That was sweet.

Posted by: paul c | Jun 26, 2009 2:11:17 PM

8. Way better than the original, in my opinion, but then I'm desperately in love with Jay Brannan. I rarely attend concerts, so I'm very sad that he's playing San Francisco the same night as Of Montreal, for which I already have tickets. Sigh.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 26, 2009 5:25:36 PM

9. For a while now I have felt that Micheal was the wacko all have called him.

But, I listened again to the interview he gave with Ed Brady...

No...we are not his culprit. Stardom and fame beyond what any of us can imagine pushed him further and further back behind the gates of Neverland.

Imagine not being able to go ANYWHERE without a mob screaming and trying just to touch you. Imagine being in this prison.

He had been labeled a freak. A pedophile. Wacko Jacko. Do you think he didn't hear these? Do you think he had no feeling about these?

Of course, now we will never know. Yet - I do remember those nights dancing my heart out to Billie Jean and Beat It...and I am appreciative of just those few minutes when absolutely nothing else mattered but the music and the dance.

Posted by: mark | Jun 26, 2009 6:48:33 PM