Advertising | Golf | Human Rights Campaign | Sports

Orbitz Commercial Features Human Rights Campaign Logo

Hrcgolfer

Some brand placement from the Human Rights Campaign can be seen in a new commercial from Orbitz travel in which a group of golfers is interrupted by an Orbitz representative who presents them with checks for the savings they earned booking with the travel company.

Neither the group's name nor any mention of the word "gay" is present in the ad but the recognizable HRC logo is prominently featured on one golfer's shirt (we'll have to assume that's the stealth gay guy's golf bag with the rainbow towel hanging on it).

"Orbitz reached out to HRC and asked to license use of our logo on the shirt in the ad," HRC's Director of Media Relations Brad Luna told Towleroad in an email, "And since Orbitz is a company that has a strong history of reaching out to the LGBT community and has a perfect 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Corporate Equality Index, we allowed them to use that shirt."

Watch the spot, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Kudos to Orbitz for this small, yet mighty, gesture! Baby steps in national corporate advertising are beginning to take hold, and will more firmly establish the LGBT community as an integral part of the community as a whole. I will DEFINITELY consider Orbitz for my future traveling needs!!!

Posted by: Jim | Jun 16, 2009 1:07:47 PM

2. I saw the commercial last night on Bravo. Given that it was Bravo and Orbitz I wasn't shocked but I did do a double take since I didn't notice any other gay subtext to the ad.

I hope they decided to run it on more "mainstream" channels. I'm not surprised to see gay themed ads on Bravo given their audience but it would be nice to see something subtle like that on ABC/NBC/CBS/ESPN/ETC

Posted by: John M | Jun 16, 2009 1:12:31 PM

3. I noticed that this morning. Kind of like the Progressive commercial that has ambiguously gay couple - one of whom has a rainbow pattern on his sweater.

Posted by: Hank Drake | Jun 16, 2009 1:15:41 PM

4. I just bought a ticket through them yesterday. Then I realized that I had booked the wrong day because I had rushed it. So I canceled and re-booked the ticket and according to the website I would receive an airline refund. I was confused. So I called Orbitz to clarify. What is an airline refund? Does that mean I get my money back or does that mean I get airline bucks? So I spoke to a customer service representative. And HE said that a refund meant I get my money refunded. I thanked him. Thanks for reading my story.

Posted by: David | Jun 16, 2009 1:23:15 PM

5. Why is Towleroad running with product placement, and ignoring the Dustin Lance Black bareback sextape scandal? Is this More than gay news for more gay men- or is it communist China? Why the embargo, Andy?

Posted by: dc8stretch | Jun 16, 2009 1:23:32 PM

6. Golf? Riiiiight, next you'll be telling me there are gay Republicans.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 16, 2009 1:24:06 PM

7. Wow so now the HRC can have big banquets honoring our straight allies AND self-promote themselves in an Orbitz ad.

Meanwhile, we keep getting thwon under the bus and where's the outrage?

Posted by: Ed | Jun 16, 2009 1:26:42 PM

8. And anyone else notice the TV spot for "Healthy Choices" with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and (noted Lesbian) Jane Lynch? It sure seems like they're a couple. Nice.

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S7kLnbHBXY

Posted by: David R. | Jun 16, 2009 1:31:51 PM

9. crispy

LOL

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jun 16, 2009 1:37:22 PM

10. @dc8stretch

Noone cares.

Posted by: Onenight | Jun 16, 2009 1:47:19 PM

11. Orbitz ran a much more explicitly gay ad several years ago. This veiled reference seems like more of a setback.

Posted by: J.Lowrot | Jun 16, 2009 1:58:14 PM

12. Is this a paid post? Did Orbitz pay you to post this? It's cool if they did, you should just identify it as such.

Posted by: Singleson | Jun 16, 2009 2:13:57 PM

13. dc8stretch - I was wondering that too, it does seem like a weird oversight. I know DLB was written a special article (or two?) on Towleroad in the past, but that shouldn't stop the site covering news regarding him.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 16, 2009 3:00:54 PM

14. lol. Yea I saw this last night. Had to watch it twice to make sure. I had to ask my spouse, "Did I just see what I think I saw.?"

Posted by: banshiii | Jun 16, 2009 4:11:05 PM

15. Andy, did you see this one?

Look at the young guy's board.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 16, 2009 4:25:08 PM

16. J.LOWROT - I disagree. I think the fact that it is a "gay" ad, yet still has a note to HRC makes it more progressive. It's like they don't have to be so explicit in saying someone is gay.

That's not to say they shouldn't still have a gay couple in ads here or there. But I think that this is definitely a positive step.

Posted by: gabriel | Jun 16, 2009 4:38:51 PM

17. And before the usual suspects start their HRC bashing Americablog is now reporting that HRC MArty Rause is pulling out of the DNC funraiser.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Jun 16, 2009 4:48:57 PM

18. I'm still trying to figure out why Andrew Donnelly (the guy that didn't book with Orbitz) bleached his hair. He looked so much better as a brunet.

Posted by: Ruddigore | Jun 16, 2009 5:18:17 PM

19. We're supposed to get excited about this?

It's just a company manipulating a brand to get our flights. Most bigots have no idea what the HRC symbol is, so it's not really educating them in anyway. If they donate to our cause, that's fantastic, but this ad isn't very brave.

Posted by: CM | Jun 16, 2009 6:25:24 PM

20. More about Orbitz's new commercial:

Posted by: Troy Petenbrink | Jun 16, 2009 9:13:16 PM

21. Rainbow towel and shirt logo aside ... notice that he's giving out 3 checks and making fun of the 4th. So, none of these 4 guys is coupled with the others???

LOL ...

Posted by: David | Jun 17, 2009 3:18:28 AM

22. When will the gay community be happy, I know that we have struggled to obtain equality and we are still fighting but when something good does happen let us celebrate the accomplishment and not look for the negative. I saw the commercial last night and it was not on Bravo and I was very surprised and happy to see this ad, who cares if HRC got paid for the rights to use the symbol, it is the only symbol used on the guys shirts and people will wonder what it is and will look into it. We are making progress, let’s keep it positive.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 17, 2009 2:12:23 PM

23. I saw this on MSNBC, so I know it's playing on mainstream channels..at least one. It's good stuff, but I don't really watch anything else besides Adult Swim, so who knows about the other channels.

Posted by: Derek, GA | Jun 20, 2009 3:57:03 PM

24. I want one of those shirts!

Posted by: Heather Mac | Jun 20, 2009 7:34:21 PM

25. I saw this advert last night (for the 732nd time) and noticed that the HRC logo was missing... Had to rewind just to make sure my eyes were not fooling me... Hmmmm

Posted by: Davie199 | Aug 18, 2009 11:46:13 AM