Evangelical Christians | News | Pat Robertson

BigGayDeal.com

Pat Robertson: Kids Become Gay Because of Sexual Abuse from Men

On today's The 700 Club, Pat Robertson was asked what to do if your son tells you he's gay:

Robertson "I am not at all persuaded that so-called homosexuals are homosexuals because of biological problems. There may be a very few, but there are so many that have been made homosexuals because of a coach or a guidance counselor or some other male figure who has abused them and they think there's something wrong with their sexuality. So you need to get deep into why he is what he is, instead of just saying, 'Well, he's a homosexual so how do I handle him, and how do I be Christian?' Well, I think you ought to tell him, 'Listen, son, you know, here's what the Bible says about this, and it's called an abomination before God, so I've got to tell you the truth because I love you'...I mean, if somebody's on their way to hell, they'll -- I mean, you've got to love them to rescue them."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Dan Savage says it's not an insult to gays, it's an insult to Christians: "If you buy into Robertson's theories on origins of homosexuality then you have to embrace a highly unflattering picture of Christian America. If Pat is right then all those fundamentalist Christian churches, schools, counseling programs, and summer camps—the whole parallel Christian universe—are teaming with sexual predators."

(via media matters)

Comments

1. isn't he dead yet he should hurry and join jerry falwell as soon as possible

Posted by: walter | Jun 9, 2009 6:06:12 PM

2. Dan Savage is absolutely right. That would mean there are millions upon millions of child molesters out there just for gay kids, to say nothing of the far higher number of straight kids (especially girls) who suffer such abuse.

And, of course, this conveniently ignores lesbianism. Maybe even Pat knows that women rarely molest children.

This is so stupid in so many ways that it's almost funny, except for the poor ignorant parents who actually believe what this man says.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 9, 2009 6:14:15 PM

3. How this man is still in television, I have no idea. He is living in the dark ages and his way of thinking died decades ago. Please go away quietly, it is incredible that people still watch this idiot!

Posted by: GIO | Jun 9, 2009 6:17:29 PM

4. I think my British friends use the word 'gobsmacked'... that seems about appropriate for this article.

Posted by: Harrison | Jun 9, 2009 6:28:22 PM

5. Another reason the Republican Party continues to slouch toward irrelevance. Willful ignorance and un-reason.

Posted by: Joe | Jun 9, 2009 6:29:56 PM

6. Isn't there a chicken/egg question here. If people are only non-heterosexual because of abuse by other non-heterosexuals, where did the first non-heterosexual come from?

Posted by: Alex | Jun 9, 2009 6:31:08 PM

7. Why are we so fascinated with the ravings of the insane among us?

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jun 9, 2009 6:36:08 PM

8. Oh dear, he's plain demented.

A comment in The Stranger link made me laugh though:
    "Does this mean Pat was raped by God? "

Posted by: PM | Jun 9, 2009 6:37:50 PM

9. It's insane that this crazy old man's hatred is spewed on NETWORK tv!

Posted by: tstas | Jun 9, 2009 6:39:26 PM

10. Leviticus 11:9-12 (King James Version)

9These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Remember kids, God Hates Shrimp!

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jun 9, 2009 6:42:36 PM

11. For me, it was the postman.

Every month, he delivered another International Male catalog to my parent's house. So now I love cock... and embroidered Moroccan tunics.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 9, 2009 6:48:32 PM

12. Raised by two parents in "opposite marriage". No molestation. GAY!! Sister GAY! Wow, we must really be statistical anomolies in his mind. What's left of it. ;)

Posted by: Uflyguy | Jun 9, 2009 6:50:31 PM

13. In the words of the immortal Bard, "The Lady doth protest too much"! I have a feeling PR is speaking from experience and is in denial of his own Homosexuality - speaking as eloquently as he does as to the root cause, perhaps our lil preacher boy is A BIG 'MO!

Posted by: alex in boston | Jun 9, 2009 6:54:21 PM

14. Retarded. I was never sexually abused by a man and I turned out a perfectly fine homosexual.

Posted by: Paul | Jun 9, 2009 6:55:39 PM

15. First of all, he punishes the "Child of the Sexual Abuse" TWICE, by condemning them as an abomination and putting the sin on their soul! Secondly, why does he not after the real sinner in this case that is the offending coach, priest, clergy person, police officer! that's the question parents ought to be asking!!!

Posted by: alex in boston | Jun 9, 2009 6:59:56 PM

16. Well, at least parents don't have to carry the guilt that Dobson places on them (i.e., homosexuality is caused by the smothering mother and/or the "distant" father). Of course, since none of the above is true of me, other than the fact I'm a big 'mo, god must really hate me.

Posted by: KJ | Jun 9, 2009 7:20:07 PM

17. This might seem radical to some, but not to me. This is what I believed about myself for a very long time, and it is what I was taught by the fundamentalist churches and ex-gay groups I attended for much of my adult life. In fact, one theologian / psychologist said it was caused by lack of love and attention by the same-sex parent, and this really made sense to me for a long while, since I never had a good relationship with my dad. (But neither did my brothers, and they're not gay!)

I no longer believe that's the cause of my homosexuality, but I'm also not 100% convinced it's biological. Maybe it's a combination of nature *and* nurture? I don't know, honestly. Both sides have their own theories and reasons for promoting what they believe, though I've always leaned toward the nurture side. But does it really matter? The fact is, this is who I am. I can't change it, and it's not going away. I know cuz I tried. (But I also no longer have the need to change. I'm finally learning to accept that I'm gay, and it's ok.)

Posted by: timotito | Jun 9, 2009 7:20:42 PM

18. Those fundamentalists are practically encouraged to be wack jobs; Robertson's been getting away with it forever - Jeez, Pat, just die already!!

Posted by: bryanD | Jun 9, 2009 7:38:22 PM

19. I love the "oh dear" comment above. It sums it up perfectly in those two words. I shake my head not in anger at Mr Robertson and his hate, but just because I now feel so sorry for him and his misguided and ignorant and hateful views, and I feel bad for the millions of gay people he hurts.

Posted by: Leona | Jun 9, 2009 7:59:05 PM

20. does it count if you really really WANTED to be 'molested' ??

Posted by: el polacko | Jun 9, 2009 8:13:38 PM

21. Please!!! I hope Pat Robertson doesn't love me that much!

Posted by: Randy | Jun 9, 2009 8:16:36 PM

22. OH SHIT!! Robertson's not dead yet????

(SIGH) I guess we'll have to give it some time.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 9, 2009 8:28:21 PM

23. 1. enough with the shrimp being an abomination. please. it's such a tired argument. using a work of fiction as support for your argument, too, also doesn't help your case.
    2. way to punish victims of sexual violence.
    3. what about lesbians?

Posted by: ian | Jun 9, 2009 8:37:08 PM

24. If I wanted to hear about heterosexuality, I wouldn't ask Adam Lambert. If I wanted to know the details of being African-American, I wouldn't listen to Ryan Seacrest. And if I wanted to know all the specifics of a woman's menstrual cycle, I certainly wouldn't trust Vin Diesel's word for it.

So why in the name of all that is good and pure do people like Pat Robertson come to think that they are experts on homosexuality???!! And why does ANYONE listen to them?!?!?

Posted by: Jon | Jun 9, 2009 8:43:24 PM

25. does it count if you really really WANTED to be 'molested' ??

Posted by: el polacko | Jun 9, 2009 8:13:38 PM

Interesting you said that...I remember when I was 13 I went camping with my friend,and his dad.....his dad was so handsome & built...I was hopin he would molest me...sounds crazy I know...but I knew I was atracted to him at 13..nothing happened,but in my imagination it did.

Posted by: rex | Jun 9, 2009 8:54:19 PM