Janice Dickinson | News | Reality TV | Sanjaya Malakar

Sanjaya: I'm a 'Straight Gay Best Friend'

Ssanjaya

Here's an example of the kinds of things that spew forth when a bunch of "celebrities" accept money to sit around in a jungle for days on end. Earlier this week on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, a discussion began when former American Idol contestant Sanjaya Malakar submitted to Janice Dickinson's request that he put on eyeliner.

Here's the confession that resulted:

"Like, yeah, a lot of people want me to be their gay best friend, and I make a really good gay best friend. But I don't like guys, so it confuses people...I do hair, and I'll sit in the corner and knit. So it confuses people. A lot of my friends refer to me as their 'straight gay best friend' because we'll go do things that stereotypically you would do with a gay guy...I'm not, like, that classic, stereotypical macho guy that's just, like, 'Oh yeah! Oh, she's hot. I wanna get in her pants! I'm not that kind of guy. I was raised by women, so I kind of have a connection with my feminine side, but I'm attracted to women. So, it's like people like to kind of throw that at me, like, 'Oh, you must be gay.' But I'm like, 'Whatever, gay people are awesome.'"

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. seems reasonable to me.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 18, 2009 1:25:55 PM

2. Well, that cleared that up, I guess.

Posted by: Terry | Jun 18, 2009 1:28:08 PM

3. OH BITCH PLEASE!

Posted by: Tralfaz | Jun 18, 2009 1:39:52 PM

4. Thank God. We sure don't want him!

Posted by: MT | Jun 18, 2009 1:41:13 PM

5. Bless his heart.

Posted by: MichaelMichael | Jun 18, 2009 1:42:40 PM

6. Pitiful!!!!

Posted by: philberto | Jun 18, 2009 1:46:02 PM

7. And we thought singing was his only talent.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jun 18, 2009 1:46:49 PM

8. wow, i totally thought he was gay. in fact i'd be all about him. he's hot! he totally gets me going. its the only reason i watch the show, to see him shirtless. the show kinda sucks though. thanks for posting the video!

Posted by: bryan | Jun 18, 2009 1:47:47 PM

9. Are those signs of male pattern baldness on his forehead?

Posted by: Rad | Jun 18, 2009 1:55:31 PM

10. Well, maybe he isn't gay, maybe he's a Lesbian. He feminine and he likes women sexually. Maybe he doesn't want some brutish man ravaging his slender, delicate stuff.

Oh, Lord...memories like the corners of my mind...

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 18, 2009 2:14:13 PM

11. "Are those signs of male pattern baldness on his forehead? "

Those are ponyhawk scars.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 18, 2009 2:18:39 PM

12. Welcome to Towleroad. All the Sanjaya news you could ever want. . .but COMPLETE SILENCE with regard to the Dustin Lance Black bareback celeb sex tape scandal.

Not even a passing word, but COMPLETE SILENCE. Not even DLB's apology/statement, and no discussion about how future "straight" Hollywood stars will be outed by their own gay sex tapes (and make no mistake, it will happen). No discussion about how highly publicized gay celeb tapes will hurt or help gay rights.

Just SILENCE.

Actually, the story isn't about DLB anymore. It's about how Towleroad - eager to post any picture of any given bare-chested celeb or half-celeb - has all too sadly jumped the shark.

Posted by: sean | Jun 18, 2009 2:18:50 PM

13. WHAT a PIN-HEAD

Posted by: sd619guy | Jun 18, 2009 2:27:13 PM

14. Welcome to Towleroad!
    All the Sanjaya news you could ever want!

Nothing. Not even a reference to DLB'S public apology. Not even a discussion about how future gay celeb sex tapes - and get ready, they're coming - will impact gay rights, or perhaps help normalize gay sex in the public's eyes (since the actual sex part is really the last stumbling block).

But nothing from Towleroad. Just silence. The story isn't even about DLB anymore. It's about how Towleroad has caved...but to who? And why? Thoughts?

Posted by: peterray | Jun 18, 2009 2:27:53 PM

15. Oh, and in case you're wondering why I have a double post with different names...get this.

The other day, I posted a DLB comment with my regular email and name. It showed up on the site.

But this morning, when I tried to post another comment, a little window popped up that said "your content is not acceptable," and refused to post it.

In other words, kids, Towelroad now blocks emails for posts about Dustin Lance Black that it does not like.

Wow. Why the fear about this topic?

Posted by: sean | Jun 18, 2009 2:35:26 PM

16. But COMPLETE SILENCE with regards to the Dustin Lance Black bareback sex scandal.

Who the hell is he? Is he a Republican?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 18, 2009 2:39:32 PM

17. At least now we know it's just 1 person who won't stop whining about it.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 18, 2009 2:40:52 PM

18. Hardly, Crispy. Check out the previous story and comments about DLB.

Everyone's wondering why.

Posted by: sean | Jun 18, 2009 2:44:11 PM

19. What's wrong with what's he's saying?

Had Sanjaya been a tall, hunky guy wouldn't many gays be excited that a straight guy is self-confident in his sexuality that he can dismiss gender norms and be a sensitive guy?

What's with the need to embrace stereotypes and apply gender rules to question Sanjaya's sexuality?

Posted by: noah | Jun 18, 2009 2:47:02 PM

20. "Dustin Lance Black"

Ooooh, he's the screenwriter who won the Oscar. Unlike Sanjaya, I think we can be pretty sure about him.

Are you in LA, Sean? Is this a personal thing?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 18, 2009 2:50:43 PM

21. And no, Derrick, I'm not a Republican - far from it - but, c'mon, when a story breaks that is, in effect, the first ever gay-celeb sex tape scandal in history - unless someone can point to another - don't you think it's worth talking about?

Everyone talked about Pam Anderson's tape, Rob Lowe's, and Paris Hilton's sex tape turned her into a world-wide phenom. Wouldn't it be great if it did that for a gay celeb? If gay sex was as "normalized" in the public eye as "straight sex."

In fact, the best thing about it - and another person posting picked up on this - are the comments on Perez Hilton's story about it. At least 70% of the comments from straight women commented on how "hot" DLB looked, and how hot the sex he was having looked in general! That's amazing, don't you think?

I'm not interested in damning DLB at all. But I am interested on how it reflects where we are with respect to how straight people see gay sex right now in 2009. And so far...it's looking better than I ever thought possible!

Posted by: sean | Jun 18, 2009 2:53:35 PM

22. It's not personal, Derrick, it's sexual politics...which this site is usually really great about exploring. (I live in Albany, btw).

Posted by: sean | Jun 18, 2009 2:57:08 PM

23. Suddenly I have more respect for Sanjaya. Anyone who is self-actualized enough to admit he knows who he is without any qualms is a man in my book.

Posted by: johnny | Jun 18, 2009 3:01:07 PM

24. I demand to know why Andy hasn't covered the Dustin Diamond sex tape. I heard he has a monster.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 18, 2009 3:02:40 PM

25. You don't get it, Crispy.

If gay sex is "normalized" - and this will only happen with a celebrity, albiet a bigger one than DLB - then marriage, and indeed all our rights, become easier to achieve.

It's always the "unnatural sex part," when you get down to it, that motivates the right wing, that fuels their ads that we'll all molest their children, or "convert" them.

But if it's normalized, starting with DLB, and on through bigger gay celeb revelations - and yes, pictures - then everything will change. You'll see.

Posted by: sean | Jun 18, 2009 3:10:02 PM