Andrew Tobias | Barack Obama | DOMA | Gay Rights | News

Two More Drop Out of LGBT DNC Fundraiser Over DOMA Brief

Two more high profile gay figures have decided not to attend next week's Democratic Party LGBT fundaiser, joining those who opted out earlier this week.

Shumlin Vermont Senate President Pro Tem Peter Shumlin has said no, protesting the DOMA brief: "One thing I have learned dealing with marriage equality in Vermont is that we all have a responsibility to stand up for the civil rights of all Americans. This memo from the Justice Department is more Bush than Bush. It takes the only minority group left in America that national politicians can publicly discriminate against and still see their numbers go up in the polls and it reinforces the horrible stereotypes about our friends and neighbors."

Replied DNC Treasurer Andy Tobias, who's organizing the event: "I think Pete Shumlin is terrific. I totally get why he feels the way he does. If I thought that the Department of Justice brief reflected the Obama position and vision of America, I would be boycotting or not going to the dinner either. But it doesn't."

Bastian Prominent donor Bruce Bastian went a step further, saying he'll no longer be donating to the DNC, at least for now:

"'I will continue to support certain congressmen, congresswomen and senators whom I believe will continue to fight for our rights, but I don't think blanket donations to the Democratic Party right now are justified, at least not in my book,' he said. Bastian, a major donor to many LGBT groups, said he sent an e-mail to the DNC on Wednesday saying he wouldn't attend the event 'because of the remarks on DOMA.' He found the filing 'very offensive.' ... Bastian said the brief was the "tipping point" for him in his perception for how the Democratic Party supports LGBT issues. 'The LGBT community raised a lot of money in support for Obama, and, I think he has to have the courage — well, not just him — but, I think the Democratic Party now has to have the courage to fight back, and when they do, they'll have my support,' he said."

(via slog)

Previously...
Democratic Party LGBT Fundraiser Tainted by DOMA Brief [tr]

Comments

1. GIVING money to the dems year after year, decade after decade has gotten us exactly nowhere. The only way to get their attention is to STOP giving to the DNC. Bastian is exactly right; continue to give only to state candidates and races where our real champions are on the line. Fuck the DNC. No responsible gay advocate, activist, lawmaker or fundraiser should show up at this event. Let them throw a party without us.

Posted by: christopher | Jun 18, 2009 12:24:51 PM

2. Amen!

Posted by: RP | Jun 18, 2009 12:25:27 PM

3. Does Tobias know something we don't? Or is he on crack?

The DOMA brief may not reflect Obama's personal opinion, which I'm starting to doubt, but it says a lot about his administration's opinion.

Posted by: Keith | Jun 18, 2009 12:28:39 PM

4. "If I thought that the Department of Justice brief reflected the Obama position and vision of America, I would be boycotting or not going to the dinner either. But it doesn't."

Then why hasnt obama come out and say that he doesnt agree with the language used in the brief? that is my issue

Posted by: David | Jun 18, 2009 12:30:54 PM

5. Shumlin and Bastian rock! Keep up the pressure!

Posted by: MikeMick | Jun 18, 2009 12:31:36 PM

6. I'm so proud of my fellow VTer, Peter Shumlin. On the VT marriage equality bill this past winter, he--a straight man who gets it--was totally with us, one of the main players in making sure it happened now, not later. And now he's taking a stand that matters. Bravo, Peter, and the others who are making the DNC think twice. $ talks--lack thereof talks even louder.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 18, 2009 12:32:45 PM

7. Our Vermont legislators have more spine than Barney Frank. Shumlin's straight and he gets it. He was slated to be honored at the event, so it's not just an empty gesture.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jun 18, 2009 12:33:19 PM

8. I expect a public retraction re DOMA from OBAMA and nothing less! I am outraged and will not give any $$ to the DNC or OBAMA!! I will support all politicians that support LGBT issues.

Posted by: steve | Jun 18, 2009 12:40:36 PM

9. Tobias knows nothing more than any of us ... he is being the DNC patsy he has always been.

Posted by: chgohunt | Jun 18, 2009 12:46:48 PM

10. well spoken gentlemen!

i have great respect for tobias and berry, and even barney frank, but it would appear they believe the ends justify the means. they might want to take a look at how well that worked for colin powell.

in the meantime, bastian and shumlin have spoken truth to power.

Posted by: jack | Jun 18, 2009 12:48:26 PM

11. Tobias is a tool
    Social climbing wannbe

Posted by: Mitch | Jun 18, 2009 12:56:38 PM

12. Bastian said it best, and I couldn't agree more!

Posted by: Keith | Jun 18, 2009 1:00:54 PM

13. So I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking or not but I'm hearing talk on liberal radio and on other blogs that this is all apart of a larger plan to force the Federal Courts to rule (so that the SCOTUS does not kick it back to lower court) then it forces the SCOTUS to rule on the constitutionality. Sounds like an incredible reach but lets keep our fingers crossed.

Posted by: rhydderch | Jun 18, 2009 1:01:51 PM

14. I am so sick of uncle tom fags like Andy Tobias. He's no friend to the gay community.

Posted by: Mike Kilpatrick | Jun 18, 2009 1:07:21 PM

15. I'm not aware if anyone has posted this yet but...

Contact the DNC and let them know why YOU won't be giving to them:

dncmemberservices_3@dnc.org

H.W.

Posted by: hill_w | Jun 18, 2009 1:11:15 PM

16. "If I thought that the Department of Justice brief reflected the Obama position and vision of America, I would be boycotting or not going to the dinner either. But it doesn't."

Mr. Tobais: Clearly, it is the belief. The brief came from his Justice Department and let us say he did not know it was being released, why he has not denounced it? His silence is plain and simply put; homophobic, towards the gay community. I believe hate groups use this argument all the time, I do one thing, then when caught say I did not mean it, it is not what I feel. Why my very best friend is gay.

You are blinded by the power and tied by the puppet strings of this administration. Can you please do your Pinocchio dance for us? You do it so well.

Posted by: David | Jun 18, 2009 1:26:06 PM

17. Having Bastian pull his funding from the DNC is actually the biggest news yet on the LGBT fundraising backlash front. That makes it official we mean business...and it's significant that it comes after Obama's memorandum.

Posted by: Bruno | Jun 18, 2009 1:30:19 PM

18. Andy Tobias: How about asking Obama about ending federal taxes imposed on same-sex couples' health care benefits from states where actual LEADERSHIP on marriage equality has already taken place?

Posted by: Rick | Jun 18, 2009 1:30:33 PM

19. No more donations to the DNC, the HRC, NGLTF, or any of them until they do some real work grow a set.

Posted by: Wolfie | Jun 18, 2009 1:42:39 PM

20. Well, my thoughts have already been mentioned in this thread, but I'm gonna say them again...

Replied DNC Treasurer Andy Tobias, who's organizing the event: [...] "If I thought that the Department of Justice brief reflected the Obama position and vision of America, I would be boycotting or not going to the dinner either. But it doesn't."

1) Sorry, Tobias, you can protest Obama's ignorance of the DOMA Brief as loud and long as you want. That brief was presented on Obama's Administrations' behalf. Your comments are akin to the Bush Admin claiming ignorance of torture, outing CIA agents, and any number of other crimes that couldn't have been committed without the president's knowledge.

2) If that brief truly doesn't reflect the views of the president - THEN YOUR FUCKING PRESIDENT NEEDS TO MAN UP AND SAY SO. And the douche who Obama trusted so completely to make this huge blunder (the Bush-era anti-gay Mormon leftover) should be sent to Abu Ghraib.

...We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Jun 18, 2009 1:49:26 PM

21. Mr. Tobias,

If you're sure the DOJ DOMA brief doesn't reflect Obama's real vision of America, then the fact that it was filed means he is either incompetent or willfully misrepresenting his beliefs in some way.

Either way, Obama looks bad, the DNC looks bad, and you look bad. As I see it, your choice is whether to continue on as Swish'n'Fetchit of Finance for the DNC or grow a spine and tell them what they can do with their outstretched hands and empty promises.

Posted by: mcquaidLA | Jun 18, 2009 1:49:29 PM

22. So I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking or not but I'm hearing talk on liberal radio and on other blogs that this is all apart of a larger plan to force the Federal Courts to rule (so that the SCOTUS does not kick it back to lower court) then it forces the SCOTUS to rule on the constitutionality. Sounds like an incredible reach but lets keep our fingers crossed.

Posted by: rhydderch | Jun 18, 2009 1:49:51 PM

23. This is awesome news. I really think this civil rights struggle is at a tipping point. Every time we win something, the ratchet clicks another notch towards equality. And every time we suffer a setback, our energy and commitment clicks up a notch and we become more insistent on getting our rights. Soon the Democrats will realize that they can't keep taking us as useful idiots forever, because we really will stop being Democrats and wish a pox on both of their houses.

Posted by: Pender | Jun 18, 2009 1:51:31 PM

24. I just read what Barney said. So his position is, because the DNC doesn't hurt us as bad as the GOP, we should continue to support blindly? Don't let him fool anyone, Obama had a choice to speak against this brief, even today, to admit the wording used was at the least, wrong. The longer he waits, the more it shows he does NOT have our best interest at hand. Neither does Barney or puppet Tobias. Feed the fox, not the bears. Great idea!

I agree Wolfie: HRC, NGLTF and all those others who think boycotting the administration and DNC are not a good idea, are wrong. They finally are getting the activisim they want from they gay community. They just don't like they are now too the focus of our ire.

Less words and more actions speak for me.

At least I will look you in the eye before I screw you. Cheney slogan - 2012

Posted by: David | Jun 18, 2009 1:54:21 PM

25. I found a couple of updates on this story at AmericaBlog.com

UPDATED: Corey Johnson is out too.

UPDATED and bumped @ 12:49 PM: We just got word that Rea Carey from the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force has pulled out of the DNC fundraiser next week.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Jun 18, 2009 1:55:05 PM