White House to Fete Power Gays at End-of-Month Dinner?

Americablog reports that the White House is throwing a month-end cocktail/dinner party for 'A-gays' in order to smooth over the events of the last couple of weeks.

Whitehouse Michelangelo Signorile writes: "It's another photo-op in which everyone — the president and the gays
— can look happy and like they're having fun, but more so, it's a way
for the White House to wank off the gay leaders a bit while still not
delivering. None of them should fall for it — and that means they
should not attend this event — not the least of all the Human Rights
Campaign. We don't want cocktails for high-paid gay and lesbians
lobbyists and executive directors looking to schmooze and feel
important. We want action on our rights, and at this point it means
DOMA and DADT."

And former New York Blade editor Trenton Straube adds: "There are many problems with our leaders playing along with the
Obama game. It comes at a time of blatant attacks against us. We are
not upset over mere inaction or simply ignoring our demands—we are
angered over aggressive steps against us, such as continuing dismissals
under DADT and filing then supporting a hateful DOMA brief—and then
lying about having to do it. This is not acceptable. Furthermore, the message that mom and pop pick up from the general
media is this: Obama has extended rights to gays. Yay! And in regards
to DOMA, while on the campaign trail, Obama stated he was for civil
unions, not gay marriage; therefore the gays have no right to get upset
because has clear about his position from the beginning. Mainstream
media outlets offer no context and nuance. We need leaders out there
fighting for us, getting the clear message to the masses and putting
the heat on the White House."

In a Washington Post column, Jonathan Capehart urges people to direct their anger and energy at Congress rather than the White House:

"Frustration with the brief and with the administration's inaction so
far on big issues such as overturning DOMA and the ban on gays serving
openly in the military is understandable. Making Obama out to be a
sworn enemy of gay and lesbian civil rights is not. On Wednesday, he
signed a memorandum extending a number of benefits to the partners of
gay federal employees. This was the culmination of work that began in
December. For the first time, not only did a sitting president utter
the acronym "LGBT," for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender, but it
was also the first-ever spoken recognition of transgender Americans by
their president…If gays and lesbians want big victories, such as the repeal of DOMA and
the "don't ask don't tell" policy, they should focus their fire where
it belongs: on Congress."

And Pam Spaulding weighs in on all of it.

Comments

1. Dave says

Obama HAS extended rights to gays….the right to join him for a delightful, delicious cocktail party! This smooths everything over, doesn’t it? The gays DO love their cocktails, you know.

2. Duane says

I agree, lets fix our rights, then we can celebrate. I dont feel like celebrating when my rights as a us citizen are compromised, and so is my happiness. UAFA bring it on.

3. Leto says

WTF-Obama has drinks with a few Uncle Toms and we are all supposed to shut up? I don’t think so. Who’s going? Why? This is a HUGE sellout for those going. Will you publish names and pictures of those going? We finally got their attention, now is NOT the time to make nice-nice.

4. Adam says

Johnathan Capeheart does NOT have a level headed assessment of the issue here. What he fails to notice is this memorandum Obama signed does absolutely nothing! All it says is he instructs government offices to follow the law, which they haven’t been doing up to this point!

He didn’t give us any rights, he wasn’t breaking any new ground, all he said was to tell people in his administration that they have 90 days to assess where they aren’t following the law. NOTHING MORE!

5. Name: says

We don’t need to discuss or have cocktails with the Obama administration or Congress. They know what they need to do. It’s time for them to do it.

6. Paul R says

Seriously, what’s the point? Most gay people have about as much in common with A-gays as they do with Pat Robertson. So the administration wants to get them blinded by the prestige of a White House visit, liquored up, and willing to tell their “fellow” gays to calm down and stop complaining? I couldn’t give a flying crap what A-gays have to say, given their achievements in the past year or two.

As noted, we have nothing new to tell Obama, and we’ve heard his empty promises. Again, what’s the point? Obama will attend for 30 minutes tops, have his picture taken, and leave.

7. JimSur212 says

Based on his advice that gay leaders should boycott this White House dinner… Michelangelo Signorile my be a good radio talk show host, but he is no political strategist.

8. JimSur212 says

And another thing… to those of you constantly criticizing our gay leadership…the progress we have made is breathtaking. Five years ago, no one would have even thought of gay marriage. We have made more progress in a shorter period of time than ANY other civil rights movement in American History, including African Americans and women. Think about it. Forty years ago people were being arrested for just going in to a gay bar! This is the greatest time to be a homosexual in the the history of the country. We are living in an exciting and amazing time and will likely live to see full equality. I know it might be hard for some of you… BUT BE HAPPY!!! Life is good.

9. David says

I’m offended they are serving cocktails to gays, they should treat us as equals and give us – oh wait, they don’t treat us as equals. COCKTAILS IT IS! Let’s drink, party, and spend our money elsewhere. So is that HRC kissass accepting the invite?

10. says

They should stop throwing parties for themselves for doing small things they should have done months ago, and instead tackle the big issues like DADT, DOMA, ENDA, hate crimes protection and protection for gay teens, immigration rights, and stuff like that. DOMA and DADT at LEAST — they act like you have to invent some new kind of carbon-reducing technology before you can repeal those laws. How ignorant is that?

11. John Normile says

Well I guess the “Power Gays” have a place at the administrations cocktail table….The rest of us have a place too ….A place at the table in the Servants quarters.

12. Blaz says

I have been waiting for someone to come along and say exactly what Johnathan Capehart has said. I want my rights just as badly as everyone else on this site, and every other homosexual, but I feel that some of our anger and quick to throw our hands in the air attitude is displaced in some ways. I feel like Obama has done much, and I know this is going to upset people, but he has done much just by changing his tone. Remember how Bush wouldn’t even mention us? How the whole world has shut us out for the past 8 years? Finally someone who actually recognizes we exist comes along and we are upset that he hasnt given us every right we are lacking in the five months he has been in office.

Dont get me wrong, I am anxious, and I dont think a single person in North America should be forced to wait a single day for equal right, but I think the man deserves some time. Not saying we should let up, but the anger seems wholly put on Obama. I agree that it is time to push all of congress.

13. Darrien says

I’m entirely with the withholding of donations from the DNC until they get behind gay rights. However, strategically it’s a good idea that at least one gay rights organisation plays nicey-nicey with the White House. Apart from keeping the communication a two-way street, it also means that when that organisation asks for something, they can point to all the real anger at a grassroots level and make the argument that unless the White House changes it’s policies on LGBT rights, then the fracture between the Dems and the gays could become a permanent break.
    Obviously, whatever organisation is seen sipping daquaries with the Prez is going to face a lot of name-calling, but in the longer term plan of things, it’s important that they exist

14. scott says

I hope we can temper how much we reference Signorile! He’s not thee spokesperson for gay America. I don’t want people to see him as a representative for me.

15. Trace says

I love Pam Spaulding’s Malcom X reference. It represents what we have right now with the leadership in our LGBT advocacy groups. Especially with HRC. They are the house gays.. that dont want their master’s house to burn down or for them to get sick. Too bad they dont remember that they serve us.. not the political machine. JOE MUST GO!
    As for taking our bat and ball and leaving the playing field.. umm NO! We are not leaving the playing field.. we take our money and support away from the party and the groups (HRC) that are ineffective to our cause and move it to those that are. There are many local candidates that deserve our financial support and time.. just dont give it to the machines that continue to push us to the sidelines.

16. Skott says

OMG, Jonathan . . . did he really say LGBT?!!! I think I just wet my pants. A president said LGBT!!! We must be equal if he actually said LGBT.