Crime | Great Britain | News

Bloody Hell: UK Teen Attacked in Homophobic Hate Crime

A cowardly gang of five brutally beat a teen in an anti-gay attack in Bridgwater, UK:

Bloodyhell "Jason Saunders, aged 18, was left with a broken nose and bruising after being jumped on by a five-strong gang after they started shouting abuse at him as he walked to work from the Sydenham area of Bridgwater with his partner, Gary Holman. The attack happened June 23, at around 6.40pm. Turning on to College Way, he walked past a group of five people. The group started shouting abuse at him, calling him 'queer' and 'ginger', telling him to 'sort out his hair colour'. Jason said: 'I asked them why they were shouting abuse at me and the next thing I know, all five people were attacking me. They were kicking and punching me in the face and still calling me names.' After the attack, Jason was rushed to Bridgwater Hospital, before being taken to Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton as doctors were worried about him drifting in and out of consciousness. He has been left traumatised and in fear of his safety. Left with a broken nose and bruising, he has become totally reliant on other people."

According to police, one 29-year-old man was arrested and released on bail pending further investigation.

Comments

1. terribly sorry to the victim.
    the group of teenagers that assaulted him, should be in prison or should be shot to dead!

Posted by: suckUK | Jul 2, 2009 9:25:44 AM

2. That's why I always carry mace with me. You'd never know what kind of crazies you'll face, these days.

Posted by: Crystal | Jul 2, 2009 9:41:00 AM

3. 5 on 1. So courageous, isn't it!!!

Posted by: dani | Jul 2, 2009 9:50:52 AM

4. Cowards ? No
    Misguided and hateful ? Yes

This is a sub-group of society (usually poor people) who are fighting to maintain their superior status over gay people - because that is all they often have and society reinforces that they are SUPERIOR to gay people - so they beat down those the church and right wing politicians teach them are inferior to them (so they can feel better and support the church and political party spreading the hate).

That is how STRAIGHT SUPREMACY is spread and supporting and why people gay bash - they are not afraid of gays... they are animals fighting for status in the jungle.

Posted by: Willie | Jul 2, 2009 9:57:12 AM

5. They are also cowards, because few of them would have attacked this man if they were not in a large group such as this, which mostly ensured their victory. I would also argue that they are afraid of "gayness" as far as the possibility it or someone who is gay could affect their status in their group. Yes, they act like animals, but it is not only anger that motivates them, but fear as well.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 2, 2009 10:22:26 AM

6. Expect incidents like this to rise as the world propaganda of Sasha "Gay Basha" Cohen's gay ridiculing flick is seen by millions. Homophobes love sh*t like Cohen's movie to justify their righteous anger at gays. More passive anti-gays will simply vote against us whenever there is a gay issue on the ballot. What a pity the media has fawned over Cohen, including this blog.

Posted by: Drake | Jul 2, 2009 10:32:00 AM

7. @ Drake

I can agree with that.Thats why I dont read this blog often (aside from the little pathetic trolls here)

Posted by: Chris | Jul 2, 2009 11:12:59 AM

8. Strangely, this may not be a completely anti-gay hate crime, thought that's definitely a factor. There's been a huge spike in the past few years against red-haired people in England--don't know if it's anti-Irish prejudice or what. The fact that they mentioned his hair and called him "ginger" adds a peculiar note to this situation. (Not to trivialize the anti-gay stuff as well.)

Posted by: Dback | Jul 2, 2009 11:19:26 AM

9. Anti-gay hate crimes are given more exposure on this blog than anywhere else on the internet.

Posted by: anti-violence | Jul 2, 2009 11:22:58 AM

10. Willie, you get it, bravo!

I really hope Jason can fully recover. These heterosexual males were trying to bolster their fragile masculinity and do the bidding of heterosexual society.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 2, 2009 11:31:31 AM

11. 1. it was in SE london, so even if he wasn't gay and ginger they'd have jumped him either way

2. only in the UK would half the reason for the hate be because he's ginger.

3. the guy is a moron for turning around and questioning them. there are 5 of them and one of him and they most likely had knives.

4. if i were him i'd have kept walking and then phoned the police as soon as I got home or into a public place/safer more populated location. The police would have then had to go round the neighbourhood questioning people to find the boys and witnesses. the boys would then be charged for verbal threats and hate speech. if walking away wasn't working i'd have ran. How did this dude think he was gonna take on 5 people?

Posted by: michael | Jul 2, 2009 11:39:11 AM

12. I'm sure he MUST have provoked it. You know; like the way a woman provokes her own rape or the land provokes its own destruction. He must have been asking for it.

It's times like this that I think to myself, "Wouldn't it be nice to just shoot someone like Mike Huckabee in the head at point blank range?

Good times!

Posted by: The Phoenix | Jul 2, 2009 12:48:08 PM

13. As a gay ginge living in London, I hate to say it, but this was probably more motivated by the hair than the gayness. Walking down the street with my boyfriend in the USA (where I'm from) I've been called a "faggot" on quite a few occasions, but when I do this in London, rarely has anyone said anti-gay things or anything negative aimed at my boyfriend, but all the time they'll call out "ginger" or "your hair's on fire" or shit like that, completely ignoring the fact that I'm gay.

It's a stupid British hangup that I still have trouble fully understanding, but believe it or not this was probably more a result of him being ginger than gay.

Posted by: Marc | Jul 2, 2009 2:33:00 PM

14. I've heard about the anti-redhead sentiment in the UK. Don't really get it at all. I think redheads are hot, myself.

Makes me think a bit differently of those skits on the Catherine Tate Show, though.

Posted by: Jackson | Jul 3, 2009 12:09:50 AM

15. Dear editor,

Please credit this story to Thomas Justice of the Bridgwater Times (www.thisisbridgwater.co.uk).

Kind regards,

Tj.

Posted by: Thomas Justice | Jul 3, 2009 5:48:31 AM

16. the victim was my brother in law.
    i think this attack was because of both factors: the ginger and the gay. being ginger myself i know how much abuse you can get for it. :( he's gradually getting better though, well, physically, but the emotional scars will be there for a while, he's just getting good at hiding them :(

Posted by: cat baker | Jul 5, 2009 5:49:13 PM

17. In the every great majority of cases, unprompted gay-bashing is always carried out by suppressed homos. This will be no different. The ringleader will be a poof himself and this is hi way of trying to convince himself and everyone else what a macho 'normal' bloke he is. Epic fail.

Posted by: SewerRat | Jul 17, 2009 6:38:43 AM

18. it seems to me that homophobic hate attacks are on the increase.......it's not a scientific analysis just my impression.

Posted by: jackFknTwist | Sep 11, 2009 4:04:25 PM

19. My friend, you must get to know Hector, on Irish TV, (he has his own show)he has a campaign to save red haired people (he is one) by saving the recessive gene that causes red hair. A lot of us Celts have red hair and we're proud of it. My sympathies and encouragement go out to you;you're a brave and courageous young man. UK assholes may be against red hair because it suggests Celt, either Irish or Scots.

Posted by: jackFknTwist | Sep 11, 2009 4:10:57 PM

20. Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. People haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause, but also by nursing a fanatical grievance.

Posted by: Tom Strohecker | Sep 12, 2009 3:50:20 PM

21. hi im jason the teen tht got attcked two years ago . now its two years on i have been trying to get ova this attack .but the pain,anger and upsetness is still with me today i would not wish this attack that i had on anyone . but people do this it's sad and upseting but thats life . if i had just one wish i would stop abuse and hate . all i can say is be who u want to be and dnt change who u r 4 anyone u r what u r . Life can only get BETTER !!

Posted by: jason | Mar 26, 2010 11:31:55 AM