Duncan James | I'm Gay | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Brit Boyband Singer Duncan James: 'I'm Bisexual'

Duncan James, an actor and singer in the British boyband Blue, tells the UK's News of the World that he is bisexual:

Duncanjames "I've been in loving relationships with men as well as women - and I'm not ashamed. "But even though I fancy men, I still fancy WOMEN too. Am I gay? Am I straight? Am I bi? That's why I was so frightened about talking. Now, in my early 30s, I know who I am and I'm proud of who I am. I don't want to hide anymore. I don't feel I should launch a big comeback with Blue hiding this - I don't want to go back to the time in the band when I felt I had to keep certain things quiet. I want to be OUT and say I've had relationships with men as well as women...I thought there might be weirdness but there wasn't. All of the boys accepted it. We were perceived as lads who went around and slept with women but on the inside we had a lot of love for each other. We always hugged and kissed each other...When you're a young band trying to be successful, there's a lot of pressure on you to be clean-cut and accessible to your female fans...I know most gay guys think, 'Bi Now, Gay Later' and maybe one day the thought of being with a woman won't work for me. But likewise, maybe the thought of being with a guy might be the same. I might want to settle down with a girl to have a family lifestyle. That appeals to me too. Mainly I just want to be happy. I want to be in a long-term relationship and, most importantly, be in love."

"Sooner or Later", a video by Duncan James, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This reeks of a career move..not very sincere...

Posted by: alan brickma | Jul 13, 2009 10:30:27 AM

2. I'm glad to live in times where coming out as Bi for a young attractive male is now considered a career move and not career suicide.

Posted by: Andreas | Jul 13, 2009 11:18:44 AM

3. Alan,

Yeah, being gay or bi is such a career enhancer. Just look at the top 40 and all of the male bi artists that dominate it.

Posted by: nate | Jul 13, 2009 11:28:51 AM

4. I say good for him. The only sentence that gave me pause was this:

"I might want to settle down with a girl to have a family lifestyle."

I just hope thats not the only reason he would want to settle down with a girl.

Posted by: Wes | Jul 13, 2009 11:54:36 AM

5. I certainly would never claim to be an authority in anyway on sexuality or the fluidity of one's orientation, but haven't many of us (as in gay men) proclaimed we're Bi because it was too hard to admit we were gay?

Just throwing that out there.

Posted by: Marco | Jul 13, 2009 12:02:23 PM

6. Brad Pitt anyone?

Posted by: nikko | Jul 13, 2009 12:12:15 PM

7. DJ is the sexiest man to come out in quite a while. His voice totally turns me on--and the rest of him ain't bad either!

Welcome to the out family, Duncan. Peace and prosperity to you.

Posted by: RJ | Jul 13, 2009 1:52:17 PM

8. ...all I know is that after watching that vid, I imagine me in it next to him and it makes me smile...

Posted by: sonofabutch | Jul 13, 2009 2:09:47 PM

9. I first saw Duncan a year ago looking at Blue's (the band he is apart of) version of Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word. I was turned on instantly. I am so thrilled he is into men.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 13, 2009 5:01:05 PM

10. He's lovely, but I had to laugh at the video. His hairdresser(s) really put in a lot of effort---he must have at least four different hairstyles over the course of the video!

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 13, 2009 6:13:57 PM

11. Ok - so I watched the video. He's gay.

Posted by: chad | Jul 13, 2009 6:14:55 PM

12. You guys should check out a song by the group that he was in, called "If You Come Back," on YouTube. Pretty nice song, and Duncan's part in the end is quite rad.

Posted by: Marcel | Jul 13, 2009 6:27:02 PM

13. Hmm...

Blue were all gay.

Don't rate this guy too much, he was going to be outed badly, which is why he came out. Come on amigos, have we not learnt anything from Celeb 101 with people like Brit Brit to P Hilton obvious about the manipulation of celeb times??

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 13, 2009 8:21:13 PM

14. ZOMG! I had a huge crush on him during my early teens!

Posted by: Kenn | Jul 13, 2009 9:12:28 PM

15. "Alan,

Wasn't there some report that explained that there has been an explosion in anti-gay hate crimes in the UK?"

YES THANK YOU NATE. Nice to see someone with a little common sense. We dont even have gay marriage, yet a man coming out he's bisexual is gonna make him famous. People, what planet are you all living?

Besides, with all the biphobia now in days, are you kidding me? if a gay artist isnt given much attention, a bisexual one would be even worse.

And Marco ,just throwing it out there, I used to identify as gay because i didnt want to admit AT ALL that i was actually bisexual. Why? Because we are considered fakes, confused and treated as rejects. I also didnt want to admit my feelings to women.

But im sure you know that.
    bi now gay later equals bogus because many times it happens the other way too =P

by the way, PEOPLE HE RETIRE FROM MUSIC FOR NOW, so shut the hell up about the career move -_- shows how much u know.

Posted by: PanGuy | Jul 14, 2009 3:21:12 PM

16. I was "Bi" too but now I'm not ( thx to God)

"actually I don't like this people"
    but I wish for him the best ( Allh yahdik wyij3alak mina salihine)amen).

Posted by: Rose | Jul 20, 2009 7:18:35 PM

17. WELL i sure want Duncan James RIGHT bottom barefeet on TOP OF MY Chest..

WANT duncan James LEFT bottom BAREFOOT ON MY FACE.

After takeing his RIGHT BAREFOOT OFF OF ME

WANT to MASTERBATE with Duncan James..

Posted by: Robert Whittington | Jul 28, 2009 10:32:50 AM

18. MR.Robert Whittington
    391 LOWER APT. KING STREET WEST CHATHAM ONTARIO N7M 1G3
    CANADA

Posted by: Robert Whittington | Jul 28, 2009 10:37:06 AM

19. IM HAPPY FOR DUNCAN IM HAPPY AS A FAN THAT HE IS NOT SCARED TO LABEL HIMSELF AS BI BECAUSE SOME CLOSETED LGBT ARE SO ASHAMED TO LABEL THEMSELVES AS GAY OR BI
    MORE POWER TO YOU DUNCAN JAMES

Posted by: super20 | Feb 23, 2011 1:19:37 AM

20. i really find it hard to believe he is bi
    his body language and general demeanor are totally hetro,although his early draw to theatre is slight but very slight indication of a possible proclivity.
    i think its quite possible that he is lying to get ahead in the theatre.good luck to him

Posted by: dan | Jul 15, 2011 7:21:06 AM

21. Geez, here we go with the catty, prissy dill-holes bitching about men who claim they are bisexual. (BTW, why don't bi women get this amount of admonishments?)
    Why is it so hard to believe that some people can like both?! This verbal smearing and bullying of bisexuals is the same thing as str8 people claiming we (homosexuals) can change or just need the right woman, or that we are confused. I refuse to deny what another individual professes to be true to themselves...unless I have some pretty solid proof to the contrary.
    Just because a handful of gay men claimed bisexuality before admitting they are only gay, doesn't mean true bisexuality doesn't exist. Can we just support one another instead of tear down?

Posted by: John | Feb 23, 2013 1:17:51 PM