Lansing | Law Enforcement | Michigan | News

Michigan Gay Sex Sting Was 'Bag-a-Fag' Operation, Email Reveals

In May, community members in Lansing, Michigan alleged that a gay sex sting at the Fenner Nature Center, which resulted in two arrests and a warrant for a third, unfairly targeted gays. New evidence appears to show that was the case. The sting was prompted by an email request from Board of Police Commissioners member Jan Kolp.

Kolp The request was revealed in an email from Lieutenant Larry Kraus to his Special Ops unit.

Said Kraus:

"I’d also like to get Police Commissioner, Jan Kolp off my back and help out Lt. Nosotti. Apparently the fella’s are out in full force at Fenner looking for male love. I’d like to set up some surveillance and see if we can catch a couple of them servicing one and other, so they can be charged with Gross Indecency."

The Michigan Messenger reports: The email seems to run counter to earlier statements by Kolp who has argued she did not call in her capacity as a police commissioner but only 'as a person who has lived on Forest Road for 40 years and president of Forestview Neighborhood Association … I would hope they would handle anyone’s complaint the same way.' Kolp declined to comment Tuesday when reached for comment."

The Michigan Messenger reports: "Triangle Foundation, which monitors and reports on hate crimes and discrimination against the LGBT community, has long criticized what they have characterized as 'Bag-a-Fag' or gay sting operations. The term was coined by Michigan State Police troopers involved in operations at state highways, according to a report by former judge and lawyer Rudy Sierra."

Comments

1. Um... If public sex is a crime, and they have knowledge that people are engaging in it, please explain to me how this constitutes entrapment or discrimination.

Posted by: jamesx | Jul 1, 2009 12:29:04 PM

2. Wait.. there are reports of public sex, a crime, and the police set about to catch them. Just because some guys cant keep it in their pants until they are some place private.. its entrapment??

Posted by: Trace | Jul 1, 2009 12:31:44 PM

3. Look, I want to be all up in arms over this ... but half of me is so angry that gay guys sometimes have no discretion in engaging in public sex. Yes, yes, straight guys would act like this, too, were straight women equally horned up and willing to have public flings ... but until that happens (and the hypocrisy is plain), it's the gay guys that continue to get busted and thereby keep the myth of homo sex fiends alive.

Isn't that why God invented the internet, fellas? Keep it indoors. Or at least legal. Jesus.

Posted by: james | Jul 1, 2009 12:34:19 PM

4. Yeah, I have a hard time feeling bad for guys hooking up in public. Isn't the risk of being caught what makes it so fun? They know what they're doing and they should be willing to accept to consequences if/when they get caught.

Posted by: MattP | Jul 1, 2009 12:47:50 PM

5. Like the other posters here, I can't really get worked up over this. Yes, this woman is probably exactly what we all think she is but that being said, if these guys were doing it in a public place, arrest them and cart them off to jail.

But where I differ with some of the other posters is that I will bet that the guys caught were "straight" married men. Gay men don't have to go to the park and sneak around in the shadows (not saying some don't but they don't have to...) This isn't about being gay, this is about being an idiot.

Posted by: Bart | Jul 1, 2009 12:49:13 PM

6. I agree with the other commenters so far. Public sex is illegal for a good reason. People just cruising in parks is bad enough, but to screw right there is completely unacceptable.

I am embarrassed and frustrated that anyone in our "community" defends it. How does that make gays seem like anything but a community of perverts to the casual (straight) observer reading these headlines? Ultimately, it impedes the greater cause of tolerance and equality.

I like gay sex, and I like public parks, but the two do not make a god combination. I live in a (very) gay neighborhood. If I saw two guys just going at it in the local park, I might call the cops, and I hope they'd take action.

Posted by: Rich | Jul 1, 2009 12:56:57 PM

7. More like BAG-A-Heterosexually-Identified Man-Who-Happens-To-Like-Sucking-Weenie.

Police use hate speech privately, and this issue needs to be addressed also. Here in Bellingham, WA, we have heard over police scanners the police dispatch refer to our local gay bar as "THE FAGGOT BAR".

'nuff said.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Jul 1, 2009 12:59:06 PM

8. Yeah I'm with everyone else here in not having a lot of sympathy for those busted. I personally love the thrill of the outdoors but totally aware of the repercussions. As an indulger in outdoor activities, I don't see why anyone should be making a big deal out of this. Know the laws, know what not to do and how not to be entrapped and you won't get caught. But to make this into some "woe is us" thing is really silly. If you don't know the risk of public sex...you do NOW.

Posted by: Joe Blow | Jul 1, 2009 1:01:27 PM

9. You just know Jan Kolp has been bitter since high school because the only way she could go to prom was to take a gay guy.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 1, 2009 1:02:03 PM

10. Well, I agree with the prior comments. Why on earth should we feel bad that idiots are having sex in public and getting caught? I don't care if it's gay or straight sex, or even spakin it by themselves. Public sex is illegal. Why does anyone consider this "unfair" targeting?

Posted by: Joe | Jul 1, 2009 1:03:05 PM

11. So, if you arrest the 30 or 40 homos/closet cases/down low/ hustlers out there having sex in public...then what are you going to do with the 100 to 200 heteros/married men with postitutes/underage straights who can't afford a hotel--what are you going to do about them?

You can arrest the all those straight folks too 'cause I'm to old to run around Fairmount Park practicing voyeurism now. Seeing straight guys booties going up and down in a car window doesn't do it for me like it used to.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 1, 2009 1:06:29 PM

12. Yep, just wanted to add my voice to the choir and say that advocating for people who have sex in public places has no place in a campaign for equality.

Posted by: Pender | Jul 1, 2009 1:23:25 PM

13. Just wanted to add my voice to the anti-sex choir. NOT.

Jesus, even when you know it's a sting operation targeted at "the fella's looking for male love" you STILL buy the line that it's public sex and it's illegal therefore it's fine to arrest people???

Have you ever seen one of these so-called "public places" where men hook up? They are usually "public" only in the sense that the public can get there -- if they hike a few miles through the brush and know where they are going.

Brainwashed sheep.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jul 1, 2009 1:28:24 PM

14. "More like BAG-A-Heterosexually-Identified Man-Who-Happens-To-Like-Sucking-Weenie." - John Bisceglia

Ain't that the truth?!

@Derrick from Philly - You do realize that most places aren't nasty and lawless like Philthy and can't be judged by Philthy standards, don't you? I've never seen straight people hooking up in public parks, but I have seen gay guys doing it...or at least waiting by the bushes for someone to do it with them.

Posted by: paul c | Jul 1, 2009 1:33:06 PM

15. Paul C

Many of these guys having gay sex are closeted men who are married. Otherwise they would have no problem going to gay bars or surfing on the net to bring guys home.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 1, 2009 1:40:33 PM

16. public sex is so old fashioned. get a computer!

Posted by: Trey | Jul 1, 2009 1:41:47 PM

17. "ou do realize that most places aren't nasty and lawless like Philthy and can't be judged by Philthy standards"

OK, you're right PAUL C. I admit the cities of the uppper Mid-West are probably much cleaner than those in the East (like Filthidelphia). I'm sure that wonderful Upper-Mid-Westener, Jeffrey Dahmer, would agree with us.

...I left my heart...in Lansing Michigan

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 1, 2009 1:43:57 PM

18. I'm positive I've seen Ms. Kolp performing at one or the other of my local gay bars, but I think she was going by another name, now what was it??? Anita Mann? Hedda Lettuce?

Posted by: Andy | Jul 1, 2009 1:47:13 PM

19. @ Paul C -- Maybe you aren't cruising the right parks then.

Straight people have probably just as much public sex as gay people. With people living at home until later, there are plenty of straight 20 and 30 somethings that don't always have a place to go to get it on. Most of the straight guys I know will give you the run down on plenty of public places you can go.

The difference is that cops usually just interrupt the straight couples and send them on their way (Watch a few episodes of cops -- especially in NOLA -- if you want to see how it is handled.) Gay guys get busted.

Posted by: Ed | Jul 1, 2009 1:47:58 PM

20. ANDY I know both Anita and Hedda, and Kolp is neither. Kolp is just an angry dried up twat who wants no one to have sex of any kind, since she never has.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 1, 2009 1:52:48 PM

21. "public sex is so old fashioned. get a computer!"

I've seen 'em with lap tops out there in the woods too.

"add my voice to the choir and say that advocating for people who have sex in public places has no place in a campaign for equality."

...bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves

We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves....

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 1, 2009 1:59:23 PM

22. Its selective enforcement. Jeez. Read the full article b4 commenting.

Posted by: Toro Castano | Jul 1, 2009 2:06:43 PM

23. Kevinvt said: "if they hike a few miles through the brush and know where they are going."

Sorry, big fat lie there, fella. My mountain biking group (all straight guys) frequently ride trails at Dreamy Draw state park... known to local cruisers as Creamy Drawers. We ride through a section of trail where public sex goes on frequently; it's not but a hundred feet from the parking lot.

Incidentally, my mountain bike buddies find it amusing. They usually just whistle.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 1, 2009 2:09:36 PM

24. Point missed by most above posters: Let's go see if we can round up some boys engaged in queer lovin.

The men are being targeted not because of being in a public place, but because they're not engaged in heterosexual activities.

Posted by: SammySeattle | Jul 1, 2009 2:11:11 PM

25. Jeez, land of the free anyone?

These are victimless crimes. You guys haven't got enough crime going on in the rest of your community that your police forces have time to waste going after gay men because of some frumpy old prude in a position of power.

A lot of you seem to think that it's not ok for the right wing nazis in the US to stop you from getting married but it is ok for you to get on your moral high horse and distance yourself from your brothers who just wanted to do what comes naturally to them?

And didn't it occur to you that the only reason sex in this location is a crime, wherever the hell it is, and I presume there was some discretion involved, like woodland cover, is because that's what someone decided a long time ago it would be?

Are you gonna tell me you're all 100% law abiding citizens and you don't make some decisions for yourselves about which laws you're going to abide by and which ones are stupid and don't need your respect?

No wonder there's so much discrimination in the US towards gays. Homosexuals heal thyselves.

Posted by: Big D | Jul 1, 2009 2:17:31 PM