News | Roseanne Barr

Roseanne Barr Dresses as Hitler, Bakes Gingerbread Jew Men in Oven

Roseanne

Apparently, the comedienne has no fears about wading back into controversy.

Heeb magazine writes of the photo shoot: "As the 'Domestic Goddess' dons the famous moustache, transforming into 'Domestic Goddess Hitler,' I notice that she’s beginning to have fun. She nails the Fuehrer’s facial expressions with twisted glee, and as she takes the burnt gingerbread 'Jew Cookies' out of the oven it occurs to me that Barr may be the last celebrity utterly incapable of giving a fuck—a quality theoretically easy to embody until it’s time to face the practical repercussions...As we wrap up the shoot, Barr puts her Swastika armband, one of the gingerbread victims and a Polaroid of herself in the costume in a Ziploc bag, making it look like evidence from some bizarre crime scene. She plans on bringing it to her 13-year-old son when she picks him up from school. 'Maybe this will make my kid like me,' she says with a sigh. "

Uh, yikes!

Barr

Comments

1. Being incredibly rich certainly helps to make one fearless. She doesn't have to give a damn, just like the other Rosie (O'Donnell). But I give her credit for chutzpah, and she is piercingly funny. And before anyone calls her anti-semitic, remember that she's jewish. (And I don't think she's a self-loathing jew. She's just a brilliant comedian.)

Posted by: wisebear | Jul 30, 2009 10:09:27 AM

2. Unlike so many other celebrities that live like royalty and spend all their royalties...Roseanne has probably saved and spent wisely...which means she really doesn't give a fuck 'cause she doesn't need the income of a "comeback"

C'mon you all know "comeback" means "I'm broke" and that is a true hasbeen.

Posted by: qjersey | Jul 30, 2009 10:12:05 AM

3. I wish this was part of a larger bit - was this just staged for a photo shoot for the magazine? She's brilliant because she always finds a new way to apply an old idea!

Posted by: David B. | Jul 30, 2009 10:29:16 AM

4. qjersey

she didn't need to save a penny

Rosanne is still in re-runs multiple times a day across the nation = royalties $$$

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jul 30, 2009 10:36:23 AM

5. I agree with WISEBEAR - Roseanne, is a funny woman...who is JEWISH...and can get away with this....and she's a smart comedian.

Posted by: JRC | Jul 30, 2009 10:36:46 AM

6. The sad part is this; I see her humor in the photo shoot. It's pitch-perfect Roseanne!

...and next up, all the Glen Beck's of this country who just don't get it.

This is going to be an uproarious grand week!

Posted by: Rad | Jul 30, 2009 10:42:34 AM

7. Roseanne, honey, your 15 minutes were up some time ago. Just go back to your mansion and live happily ever after. Please, spare us pix of you baking Jew Cookies.

Posted by: Roscoe | Jul 30, 2009 10:45:39 AM

8. I love how everyone uses the term "15 minutes" for anyone who's not famous anymore. That's not what 15 minutes means, people.

Jews can bake Jew cookies. This isn't a big deal.

Posted by: Billy | Jul 30, 2009 10:59:52 AM

9. Remember what Heeb Magazine is trying to do. From Wikipedia:

Heeb is a Jewish magazine aimed predominantly at young Jewish intellectuals. The name of the magazine is a variation of the anti-Semitic ethnic slur "hebe", an abbreviation of Hebrew. However, in this case, the word "heeb" seeks to function as empowerment for the Jewish community, thus eliminating the hatred associated with the word.

History
    The magazine was founded by activist Jennifer Bleyer, then a graduate student at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, and backed financially by Steven Spielberg and Charles Bronfman. Bleyer, who now writes for the New York Times, ended her association with the magazine after she graduated. Taking over for her as editor and publisher was Harvard Divinity School graduate Joshua Neuman. Neuman's goal was to spread the idea of Heeb as a "lifestyle magazine", incorporating events like a traveling Heeb Storytelling show in order to reach an underserved Jewish progressive market around the country. The magazine's subtitle "The New Jew Review" is a reference to the 1970s children's television show The New Zoo Revue.

Themes
    It has become known for its satire and sardonic approach to reaching Jewish readers of all streams. One phony ad campaign that was designed to make a point was an application for “new United Nations ambassadors”. It was a mail-in test that determined just how anti-Israel the test taker was, and the more against Israel you tested, the better the chance you had of being accepted. Heeb reported that they actually received hundreds of applicants. In a late 2006 edition, a live pig was photographed running across a traditional Sabbath dinner table. Heeb’s satirist, David Deutsch, who used his own table to stage the photos asked his rabbi if it were kosher to use a live pig on his table for this purpose, as pig meat is considered unkosher. His rabbi said that kashrus wasn't a problem, but recommended that he wash the table afterwards.

The magazine is decidedly anti-establishment and left-wing. It frequently criticizes mainstream American Jewish culture, most famously in an article entitled "Joe Lieberman is a Dickhead." The author of the piece took Lieberman to task for favoring an increase in military spending. Other writers who have contributed to Heeb include Allen Salkin, who wrote "Where Have You Gone Sandy Koufax?", an article about Jews obsessed with Jews in sports, and "Why are We So Guilty?".

Posted by: dctopman | Jul 30, 2009 11:10:09 AM

10. I can't help but love her. She's always spoken her mind and helped enlighten the middle class masses .. even if offending a few sensibilities along the way.

The pictures are just a WEE bit tasteless, although I did find them hilarious after the initial shock faded!

Posted by: sparks | Jul 30, 2009 11:15:08 AM

11. Roscoe maybe your memory has been clouded by too many drugs but Rosanne had/has much, much, much more than 15 minutes of fame as she is still a huge celebrity.

The term "15 minutes of fame" is not used to describe someone who, at one time, produced and starred in America's #1 show (a show still in heavy syndication) but rather some naked moron from Survivor, some booted screechy queen from American Idol, or the zillion other knuckle heads trying to capitalize on their "15 minutes of fame". You know the ones with no real celebrity, the ones most of us wish would just go away. Think real hard, I'm sure you can come up with a few.

So......get a CLUE dude before wading into conversation, trying to make some pithy comment that ultimately is a total FAIL.

Posted by: Derek | Jul 30, 2009 11:15:28 AM

12. Hahaha funny..I get her satire..LOL totally wrong yet funny...EVERYONE PRETENDS HOW HORRIBLE THIS EPISODE WAS BUT IT KEEPS REPEATING SO THAT MEANS WE DON'T REALLY CARE....SO STOP YOUR JUDGING HER FOR SILLY PICS.

gosh...the queens on here are very judgemental.

Posted by: Bosie | Jul 30, 2009 11:27:29 AM

13. God bless Roseanne for pushing the envelope. I think that mockery is the best way to keep the idea of what Hitler was in the backs of the minds of everyday people so that he doesn't just fade in to history as the evil one no one wants to think about. Those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it. And mocking it makes it humor which defuses the wingnuts. Go Roseanne, go!

Posted by: Daniel | Jul 30, 2009 11:27:46 AM

14. I am subscribing to Heeb today !

Posted by: ty | Jul 30, 2009 11:37:02 AM

15. If only she could be all of our mothers...

She has a kick-ass radio show Wed's on lefty radio station KPFK in Los Angeles in which she suffers no fools. I LOVE HER!!!!!!!

Posted by: Mark | Jul 30, 2009 11:37:36 AM

16. I think if one is commenting on her/his own familie's heritage, and the struggles those who are like them have faced, there is no controversy.

I think it perfectly appropriate for me to do the same with little men with pink triangles.

Posted by: JP | Jul 30, 2009 11:41:41 AM

17. She's got more balls than I do, I'll say that much.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 30, 2009 11:42:06 AM

18. This is Roseanne for god's sake. She lives for the politically incorrect. Think if Ann Coulter did the same joke.

Thanks RB

smoochies

david

Posted by: davidin iowa | Jul 30, 2009 11:51:37 AM

19. Brash, of course, but not really funny or witty. Reeks of desperation to try to get back into the limelight, even if for a few minutes. "Brilliant?" Hardly.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 30, 2009 12:14:30 PM

20. I like it, and I don't know how funny she really is anymore (the last stand-up I saw from her was PAINFUL, as was Whoopi Goldberg's), but I love that she will say what she thinks (as will Whoopi). I love them for that. If most of the people commenting here heard some of the stuff Roseanne's said and written over the last several years, they'd be shitting their pants in outrage. Especially 24Play. :)

Posted by: paul c | Jul 30, 2009 12:38:10 PM

21. "Jews can bake Jew cookies."

Yes, and Jews can offend other Jews. Look, I'm all for allowing commedians to make a point if they have an important point to make (Sacha Baron Cohen making bigots look like fools, or Mel Brooks making American Nazis look like buffoons), but what's the point here? Let her do her thing, then let her pay the price.

If Wanda Sykes dressed up in a Klan outfit, and baked little black man cookies--well, I don't think there would be unanimous feelings among black folks that "blacks can bake black cookies. Ha ha ha."

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 30, 2009 12:50:01 PM

22. Well, case-in-point, Derrick: Dave Chappelle created the blind black bigot klansman character several years back. Dave was rather brilliant too. I think Wanda would be more prone to having a fat, bald, middle-aged white man in the kitchen baking cookies FOR her. Actually, I'd like to see that, especially if Rush Limbaugh was in the role.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jul 30, 2009 1:00:35 PM

23. Absolutely disgusting. "Jews can bake Jew cookies"?!?!? WTF? So "fags can say fags"? Come on. If this were a Jewish commedian who wasn't all for gay rights, you all would be going nuts on the person. Why can't we acknowledge when wrong is wrong based on the action, not on the person. It is one thing to make jokes about the stereotypes of one's own background, but baking "Jew Cookies" in an oven dressed as Hitler? Come on. Will it be OK for me to dress up like Fred Phelps and publish pictures of myself beating a "Gay-looking manequin" with a baseball bat? You know, it was just be proving how stupid he is. All in the name of art, right?

Aren't there better ways to make a statement?

Posted by: BC | Jul 30, 2009 1:07:13 PM

24. Yes, FIZZIEKRUNTNT, you're absolutely right about Chappelle, and I get your point. It's just that I don't remember Chappelle's black blind Klansman making fun of the torture murders that the Klan committed.

The Jew man cookies in ovens--the more I think about, the more I say Roseanne needs a talkin' to from those who lost family in ovens 65 years ago.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 30, 2009 1:12:40 PM

25. I love Roseanne! Her show was the #1 sitcom in the United States for 4 years and always ranked in the Top-5 most watched shows for 6 years. Truly a modern classic. They play it on TV Land all night long!

Posted by: Matt | Jul 30, 2009 1:45:18 PM