Roseanne Barr Dresses as Hitler, Bakes Gingerbread Jew Men in Oven

Roseanne

Apparently, the comedienne has no fears about wading back into controversy.

Heeb magazine writes of the photo shoot: "As the 'Domestic Goddess' dons the famous moustache, transforming
into 'Domestic Goddess Hitler,' I notice that she’s beginning to have
fun. She nails the Fuehrer’s facial expressions with twisted glee, and
as she takes the burnt gingerbread 'Jew Cookies' out of the oven it
occurs to me that Barr may be the last celebrity utterly incapable of
giving a fuck—a quality theoretically easy to embody until it’s time to
face the practical repercussions…
As we wrap up the shoot, Barr puts her Swastika armband, one of
the gingerbread victims and a Polaroid of herself in the costume in a
Ziploc bag, making it look like evidence from some bizarre crime scene.
She plans on bringing it to her 13-year-old son when she picks him up
from school. 'Maybe this will make my kid like me,' she says with a
sigh.
"

Uh, yikes!

Barr

Comments

1. wisebear says

Being incredibly rich certainly helps to make one fearless. She doesn’t have to give a damn, just like the other Rosie (O’Donnell). But I give her credit for chutzpah, and she is piercingly funny. And before anyone calls her anti-semitic, remember that she’s jewish. (And I don’t think she’s a self-loathing jew. She’s just a brilliant comedian.)

2. qjersey says

Unlike so many other celebrities that live like royalty and spend all their royalties…Roseanne has probably saved and spent wisely…which means she really doesn’t give a fuck ’cause she doesn’t need the income of a “comeback”

C’mon you all know “comeback” means “I’m broke” and that is a true hasbeen.

3. says

I wish this was part of a larger bit – was this just staged for a photo shoot for the magazine? She’s brilliant because she always finds a new way to apply an old idea!

4. jimmyboyo says

qjersey

she didn’t need to save a penny

Rosanne is still in re-runs multiple times a day across the nation = royalties $$$

5. JRC says

I agree with WISEBEAR – Roseanne, is a funny woman…who is JEWISH…and can get away with this….and she’s a smart comedian.

6. Rad says

The sad part is this; I see her humor in the photo shoot. It’s pitch-perfect Roseanne!

…and next up, all the Glen Beck’s of this country who just don’t get it.

This is going to be an uproarious grand week!

7. says

Roseanne, honey, your 15 minutes were up some time ago. Just go back to your mansion and live happily ever after. Please, spare us pix of you baking Jew Cookies.

8. Billy says

I love how everyone uses the term “15 minutes” for anyone who’s not famous anymore. That’s not what 15 minutes means, people.

Jews can bake Jew cookies. This isn’t a big deal.

9. dctopman says

Remember what Heeb Magazine is trying to do. From Wikipedia:

Heeb is a Jewish magazine aimed predominantly at young Jewish intellectuals. The name of the magazine is a variation of the anti-Semitic ethnic slur “hebe”, an abbreviation of Hebrew. However, in this case, the word “heeb” seeks to function as empowerment for the Jewish community, thus eliminating the hatred associated with the word.

History
    The magazine was founded by activist Jennifer Bleyer, then a graduate student at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, and backed financially by Steven Spielberg and Charles Bronfman. Bleyer, who now writes for the New York Times, ended her association with the magazine after she graduated. Taking over for her as editor and publisher was Harvard Divinity School graduate Joshua Neuman. Neuman’s goal was to spread the idea of Heeb as a “lifestyle magazine”, incorporating events like a traveling Heeb Storytelling show in order to reach an underserved Jewish progressive market around the country. The magazine’s subtitle “The New Jew Review” is a reference to the 1970s children’s television show The New Zoo Revue.

Themes
    It has become known for its satire and sardonic approach to reaching Jewish readers of all streams. One phony ad campaign that was designed to make a point was an application for “new United Nations ambassadors”. It was a mail-in test that determined just how anti-Israel the test taker was, and the more against Israel you tested, the better the chance you had of being accepted. Heeb reported that they actually received hundreds of applicants. In a late 2006 edition, a live pig was photographed running across a traditional Sabbath dinner table. Heeb’s satirist, David Deutsch, who used his own table to stage the photos asked his rabbi if it were kosher to use a live pig on his table for this purpose, as pig meat is considered unkosher. His rabbi said that kashrus wasn’t a problem, but recommended that he wash the table afterwards.

The magazine is decidedly anti-establishment and left-wing. It frequently criticizes mainstream American Jewish culture, most famously in an article entitled “Joe Lieberman is a Dickhead.” The author of the piece took Lieberman to task for favoring an increase in military spending. Other writers who have contributed to Heeb include Allen Salkin, who wrote “Where Have You Gone Sandy Koufax?”, an article about Jews obsessed with Jews in sports, and “Why are We So Guilty?”.

10. sparks says

I can’t help but love her. She’s always spoken her mind and helped enlighten the middle class masses .. even if offending a few sensibilities along the way.

The pictures are just a WEE bit tasteless, although I did find them hilarious after the initial shock faded!

11. Derek says

Roscoe maybe your memory has been clouded by too many drugs but Rosanne had/has much, much, much more than 15 minutes of fame as she is still a huge celebrity.

The term “15 minutes of fame” is not used to describe someone who, at one time, produced and starred in America’s #1 show (a show still in heavy syndication) but rather some naked moron from Survivor, some booted screechy queen from American Idol, or the zillion other knuckle heads trying to capitalize on their “15 minutes of fame”. You know the ones with no real celebrity, the ones most of us wish would just go away. Think real hard, I’m sure you can come up with a few.

So……get a CLUE dude before wading into conversation, trying to make some pithy comment that ultimately is a total FAIL.

12. Bosie says

Hahaha funny..I get her satire..LOL totally wrong yet funny…EVERYONE PRETENDS HOW HORRIBLE THIS EPISODE WAS BUT IT KEEPS REPEATING SO THAT MEANS WE DON’T REALLY CARE….SO STOP YOUR JUDGING HER FOR SILLY PICS.

gosh…the queens on here are very judgemental.

13. Daniel says

God bless Roseanne for pushing the envelope. I think that mockery is the best way to keep the idea of what Hitler was in the backs of the minds of everyday people so that he doesn’t just fade in to history as the evil one no one wants to think about. Those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it. And mocking it makes it humor which defuses the wingnuts. Go Roseanne, go!

14. Mark says

If only she could be all of our mothers…

She has a kick-ass radio show Wed’s on lefty radio station KPFK in Los Angeles in which she suffers no fools. I LOVE HER!!!!!!!

15. JP says

I think if one is commenting on her/his own familie’s heritage, and the struggles those who are like them have faced, there is no controversy.

I think it perfectly appropriate for me to do the same with little men with pink triangles.

16. davidin iowa says

This is Roseanne for god’s sake. She lives for the politically incorrect. Think if Ann Coulter did the same joke.

Thanks RB

smoochies

david

17. Mark says

Brash, of course, but not really funny or witty. Reeks of desperation to try to get back into the limelight, even if for a few minutes. “Brilliant?” Hardly.

18. paul c says

I like it, and I don’t know how funny she really is anymore (the last stand-up I saw from her was PAINFUL, as was Whoopi Goldberg’s), but I love that she will say what she thinks (as will Whoopi). I love them for that. If most of the people commenting here heard some of the stuff Roseanne’s said and written over the last several years, they’d be shitting their pants in outrage. Especially 24Play. :)

19. Derrick from Philly says

“Jews can bake Jew cookies.”

Yes, and Jews can offend other Jews. Look, I’m all for allowing commedians to make a point if they have an important point to make (Sacha Baron Cohen making bigots look like fools, or Mel Brooks making American Nazis look like buffoons), but what’s the point here? Let her do her thing, then let her pay the price.

If Wanda Sykes dressed up in a Klan outfit, and baked little black man cookies–well, I don’t think there would be unanimous feelings among black folks that “blacks can bake black cookies. Ha ha ha.”

20. FizziekruntNT says

Well, case-in-point, Derrick: Dave Chappelle created the blind black bigot klansman character several years back. Dave was rather brilliant too. I think Wanda would be more prone to having a fat, bald, middle-aged white man in the kitchen baking cookies FOR her. Actually, I’d like to see that, especially if Rush Limbaugh was in the role.

21. BC says

Absolutely disgusting. “Jews can bake Jew cookies”?!?!? WTF? So “fags can say fags”? Come on. If this were a Jewish commedian who wasn’t all for gay rights, you all would be going nuts on the person. Why can’t we acknowledge when wrong is wrong based on the action, not on the person. It is one thing to make jokes about the stereotypes of one’s own background, but baking “Jew Cookies” in an oven dressed as Hitler? Come on. Will it be OK for me to dress up like Fred Phelps and publish pictures of myself beating a “Gay-looking manequin” with a baseball bat? You know, it was just be proving how stupid he is. All in the name of art, right?

Aren’t there better ways to make a statement?

22. Derrick from Philly says

Yes, FIZZIEKRUNTNT, you’re absolutely right about Chappelle, and I get your point. It’s just that I don’t remember Chappelle’s black blind Klansman making fun of the torture murders that the Klan committed.

The Jew man cookies in ovens–the more I think about, the more I say Roseanne needs a talkin’ to from those who lost family in ovens 65 years ago.

23. Matt says

I love Roseanne! Her show was the #1 sitcom in the United States for 4 years and always ranked in the Top-5 most watched shows for 6 years. Truly a modern classic. They play it on TV Land all night long!

24. AG says

I don’t think either performer (Chappelle or Barr) makes fun of the violence, or even diminishes its impact, but instead rightly makes buffoons of those who would enact it.

But I can see how this might not be to everyone’s taste.

25. AG says

“But I can see how this might not be to everyone’s taste.”

*facepalm*

Not the best choice of words.

26. Matt says

Dave Chappelle’s black white supremacist did address the violence and discrimination of the KKK, although I don’t know how you can compare a filmed sketch to two photos. I think both Dave and Roseanne are allowed to deal with these issues germane [pun intended] to them as people in whatever fashion they want to. I don’t recall the king/queen of all jews releasing official guidelines to dealing with the holocaust.

27. Derrick from Philly says

Hitler, Jews and ovens?

No, somebody should have told her “no”. No, says King David, King Solomon and Queen Esther, and Queen Babs. No.

28. Dubwise says

@ BC – um…lighten up Fancis. it’s a joke…and she can choose to address this issue in her own way. and if you did dress up as Fred P…that might ACTUALLY be funny.

29. Dhani Darko says

Seinfeld dealt with the Hitler issue in an episode where Elaine got ink on her boss’s upper lip. That was 15 years ago. This stunt is neither funny nor innovative. We don’t need to lighten up, maybe others need to stop being self-haters long enough to figure things out. It’s so funny that genocide is still taking place around the world. It’s so funny that people have living grandparents who survived the freaking Holocaust. Let’s just all laugh our cares away. That’s what’s wrong with people – gay, black, Jew – slave mentality and won’t fight for your rights.

30. johnny says

All good or bad taste aside, for the record, (and having worked at a few magazines in my time) it’s usually the editors or some wacky art director (like I was) that think up this kinda shoot, RB’s agent probably got the call and was asked “Does she want to?” and RB most likely said yes.

Just sayin’.

31. says

Lay off. This isn’t as big a deal as people are making it out to be. This is exactly what a photo shoot like this is supposed to do – get uptight people screaming over nothing.

She stood up for gay rights and inserted it directly into her show before anyone else was doing it. This woman has always had courage to do what she wants.

32. Troy says

There is nothing amusing or funny about this, Rosanne is an ignoramus that should be kept in the back of the room in the dark. The Holocaust was not a joke, Jews don’t bake Jew cookies and gays don’t bake gay cookies. Just as the hangings in the south are not a joking matter, the extermination of millions of Jews and Gays should not be used for amusement. Roseanne is a “Turdbucket with a capitol T”. When we allow ourselves to get caught up in this type of offensive comedy, we are no longer funny we are stupid, there are limits to what we can call “art”.

33. Isabel says

THIS IS WHY THE WORLD THINKS AMERICANS ARE STUPID. It’s SATIRICAL. This is what Roseanne posted on her blog:

“There is so much anti-semitism in this world,
    It’s not even funny.
    It is as everyday as baking cookies.
    Ignorance is not bliss.
    Recalling the horrors of the holocaust will not deflect or divert it, as many Jewish people think.”

And hello? It’s funny, because she’s a kitchen nazi. But at the same time, it’s a statement saying that anti-semitism still exists.

And you’d expect a little gratitude from a gay blog considering how Roseanne has always defended us gay people and put gay issues and gay MARRIAGE in her show (she has a sister and brother who are both gay) long before anybody did.

34. brentbent says

It feels like she stole the idea from Bruno. When he’s auditioning the babies to see how crazy their parents will get with them it ends with the ‘winner’ supposedly getting her baby dressed up as Hitler pushing a wheelbarrow full of babies dressed up as Jewish people being pushed into a giant oven.

For those of you who are upset you can write your congress critters and ask them to ban self-deprecating humor.

And what purpose does it serve? I’m sure the pic will piss of plenty of neo-nazis out there on teh interweb. A Jewish woman portraying their great one? Blasphemy! I can see their heads exploding just like they did in Chappelle’s faux Frontline interview with the blind, black klan member.