Bill Maher | Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Brad Pitt to Marriage Equality Foes: 'Let's Stop the Nonsense'

Pitt

Brad Pitt appeared on Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday and elaborated on his recent remarks to the Today show that if he were to run for Mayor of New Orleans, he'd be running on the no religion, gay marriage, legalization of marijuana platform.

Said Pitt: "You know, I grew up in a religious family, in a religious community and it just doesn't make sense to me. It just doesn't work for me in the long run. I never wanted to step on anyone else's religion and their beliefs -- that's what's great about our country -- until I started seeing it defining policy. ... Like gay marriage, you have a group of people telling other people how to live their lives, and you can't do that....I just say you have to, you really have to check what country you're living in because the freedom that allows you to practice religion is the same freedom you're stepping on. That's not right. And I want to add that if there was a nation of gay married couples who were telling you you couldn't practice your religion, I'd be speaking up for you too. So, let's stop the nonsense."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. :)

Posted by: clayton | Aug 17, 2009 11:22:38 AM

2. Phenomenal!

Posted by: David R. | Aug 17, 2009 11:24:53 AM

3. I LOVE BRAD PITT!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 17, 2009 11:28:41 AM

4. Loveitloveitloveit! Looking forward to catching up with my Real Time tivos. What's up with the ZZ-Top face though? Haaaa!

Be sure to check out Brad's site. Great stuff:

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Aug 17, 2009 11:35:46 AM

5. I can't believe I used to hate him. He's actually on our side.

Posted by: Donovan | Aug 17, 2009 12:12:34 PM

6. I saw this whole show last night. I think, on the whole, it was the best Real Time I've ever seen. The discussion about Health Care reform at the end of the show was so smart and thoughtful. There's a video report about the town halls contrasting them with real life health care situations that was just incredible.

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Aug 17, 2009 12:36:11 PM

7. Mr. Pitt is developing into a remarkable ally for our cause. Thank you Brad.

Posted by: Richard | Aug 17, 2009 2:09:27 PM

8. Thank you Mr. Pitt. A brain,a heart and a rockin body all in one package(and based on the Playgirl photos a NICE package at that!). If only more humans thought(and ACTED) like you the world would be a MUCH better place.

Posted by: SFshawn | Aug 17, 2009 3:09:04 PM

9. Hey Richard, that's a Brain, a Heart and Courage, he's a friend of Dorothy.

Posted by: Rikard | Aug 17, 2009 5:28:18 PM

10. Love this guy so much.

I'm sorta glad he's doing the scruffy thing. Easier to pay attention to what he's saying instead of just staring at him with drool at the corner of my mouth.

Oh hell who am I kidding. I'd do him if he had a Santa beard. :x

Posted by: sparks | Aug 17, 2009 7:40:56 PM

11. Instead of seeing that Basterds flick I'd rather just send Brad the 13 bucks.

Posted by: NSFW | Aug 18, 2009 7:11:20 AM

12. He's a celebrity. He can sleep knowing somewhere in the world some gay guy has his picture under his mattress. Orson Wells and Truman Capote and Gore were all profound big draw on the talk show circuit too. He has to care about equality -- his "wife" has him upstaged on the world front.

Posted by: Gary | Nov 27, 2012 9:29:09 PM

13. But marriage doesn't tell you how to live your lives?

Posted by: Jim | Nov 27, 2012 9:42:22 PM

14. It is entirely possible to appreciate the role of religion in society (not in government, that would be something else,) oppose marijuana legalization, and oppose gay marriage without having any religious beliefs yourself. What Mr. Pitt really seems to be advocating is that the separation of church and state be used as a weapon to insure that America always be socially liberal. As frustrating as this is to me as a social conservative (and I am a supporter of same-sex marriage now) I can't blame Brad Pitt for what he's doing. The Right dug this whole for themselves years ago when they tried to "hide" socially conservative positions behind religious identity since the latter didn't involve as much explaining or risk-taking. Religion evokes soothing feelings and pleasant memories for most of the people conservatives were trying to reach. And it's easier to claim that God opposes drug abuse then to explain why a nation of pot-smokers would not be healthy sociologically. The American obsession with freedom is so extreme that all middle America can say to the cultural Left is "I would love to be liberal, but God won't let me." The outcome of the 2012 elections showed the inadequacy of this strategy.

I was ready to be angry at Pitt when I read the headline of this story, but I can't be. Now I'm more angry at the leaders of the conservative movement for the fact that we have to start the cultural Right over from scratch.

Posted by: Mary | Nov 27, 2012 9:58:16 PM