Discrimination | News | Utah

Utah Governor Herbert: Discrimination Against Gays Should Be Legal

Utah Governor Gary Herbert, who took over for moderate Governor Jon Huntsman after Huntsman resigned to become Ambassador to China, has spoken out against anti-discrimination laws which include sexual orientation:

Herbert "In his most definitive comments yet on gay rights, Herbert told reporters he doesn't believe sexual orientation should be a protected class in the way that race, gender and religion are. 'We don't have to have a rule for everybody to do the right thing. We ought to just do the right thing because it's the right thing to do and we don't have to have a law that punishes us if we don't,'Herbert said in his first monthly KUED news conference. In Utah, it is legal to fire someone for being gay or transgender. The gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah has been trying to change state law for several years but has always been rebuffed by the Republican-controlled Legislature. Last year, the group got Republican Gov. Jon Huntsman's support for extending some rights to gay people, although none of the bills it backed became law."

Unfortunately, that's why we have anti-bias laws. Because people don't do the right thing.

Comments

1. WTF????????????

This is a man who defendas the equal rights and protections of people who CHOOSE to believe in invisible magical sky fairies...But tells us our 'CHOICE' is not legitimate.

What's the difference if we 'CHOOSE' to be LGBTQI (his view, not mine) or he 'CHOOSES' to believe in impotent deities???

Oh. that's right; His choice is legitimate because Joseph Smith found Magical Glasses that let him interpret Magical Gold plates...

Heck, as a Moron...oops...Mormon, he's probably wearing his Magical Underwear while he's bashing LGBTQI'S

It's Nutbags like this that reinforce my revulsion to religion and strengthen my Atheism.

Hey Herbert: Put down your goddamn bible and step away from the religion. Your beliefs end in tragedy for LGBTQI's on a daily basis - worldwide!

Mine don't!

Posted by: roger ramjet | Aug 27, 2009 3:27:00 PM

2. "We ought to just do the right thing because it's the right thing to do and we don't have to have a law that punishes us if we don't."

So does this apply to theft and murder as well? Let's have the highest executive in the state be anti-law. That's a great idea. Great job, Utah.

Posted by: JH | Aug 27, 2009 3:29:16 PM

3. I don't believe in heaven and hell, but if hell does exist, I'm pretty sure that he'll be in it. Along with his wife and his gazillion children.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Aug 27, 2009 3:36:03 PM

4. Are fucking kidding me? WTF? I was already boycotting Utah because of Prop 8,now I will never step foot into that state. I will purposely not fly into SLC for a connecting flight. I don't want that state or it's companies getting one dime of my money.

Sidenote: Can you guys get rid of those annoying pop up quizes. I am starting to not come to your site because they are so annoying.

Posted by: DairyQueen | Aug 27, 2009 3:45:20 PM

5. See? Now this is how hatemongering should be done: you act like anti-discrimination laws are just a silly - nay, insulting - trifle, and "We're all such great friends, all my gaybashing pals LOVE the gays, and it's so VULGAR that you think there should be a law TELLING us not to bash the gays - we'd never DREAM of doing that, so how DARE you insinuate that such a law is NECESSARY..." Creepsville, USA. I prefer the batshit crazy ones like that gayface pastor.

Posted by: Donovan | Aug 27, 2009 3:46:56 PM

6. I'd NEVER go to UTAH...the closet I'd get to it is via HBO's BIG LOVE!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 27, 2009 3:57:53 PM

7. This man is sad and pathetic.
    I hope whatever gay men are fucking his closeted ass out him sooner than later. Fuck you and all your intolerant asshole Mormon pals Gary.

Posted by: SFshawn | Aug 27, 2009 4:04:20 PM

8. Is he lying or just retarded?

What a douche. Yet another reason to stay the hell away from Utah.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 27, 2009 4:07:05 PM

9. This is good to know. I think we should take Mormons out of the anti-discrimination laws because we'll all by nice to them all the time right? And if I do, say, beat up a Mormon just because of their magic undies, then I shouldn't be punished.

I'll be out the back sharpening my lynching tools.

Posted by: James | Aug 27, 2009 4:14:57 PM

10. Sure, I can see why things like marriage laws and such can confuse and cloud the issue for people but I find it very hard to believe that advocating the right to discriminate in employment and housing is going to sit well with many people.

In a way I kind of welcome these statements, they've been hiding behind things like "the definition of marriage" and "kids being taught about homosexuality in school" for to long, it was only a matter of time before their true beliefs and agenda became known and I doubt it the majority of people they can trick into being against gay marriage will feel the same way about just outright discrimination for the sake of discrimination.

Posted by: John | Aug 27, 2009 4:17:36 PM

11. Go to hell Herbert.

Posted by: Rafael | Aug 27, 2009 4:22:57 PM

12. Folks, Barack Obama also believes that discrimination against gays should be legal, so Mr. Magic Underpants here is hardly alone.

Posted by: Roscoe | Aug 27, 2009 4:28:30 PM

13. The stop motion Lego video was pretty cool..

Posted by: j | Aug 27, 2009 4:36:13 PM

14. ask him if he thinks having an abortion is "doing the right thing"

ridiculous..

Posted by: Chris | Aug 27, 2009 4:42:27 PM

15. Roscoe, claiming that Obama's views on gay rights are remotely similar to Herbert's is absurd. And trollish.

Posted by: Ted Gideonse | Aug 27, 2009 4:50:33 PM

16. @ Ted

Its that bitter middle-aged white gay male "Obama threw us under the bus" log cabin mentality.So typical,its to be expected.Especially since thats most of the demographic of towleroad readers

Posted by: Rocky | Aug 27, 2009 4:56:06 PM

17. "Folks, Barack Obama also believes that discrimination against gays should be legal, so Mr. Magic Underpants here is hardly alone."

No, he isn't alone. It takes some particularly magic underpants to equate Obama's positions to this inarticulate dimwit's.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 27, 2009 4:58:45 PM

18. The most effective way for there to be less gay people is to scare them right back into the closet! Good job, Utah. She's just a really good friend of mine.

Posted by: sarah | Aug 27, 2009 4:59:33 PM

19. I will never hire a Mormon. Ever. Not even to clean my toilets.

Posted by: Attmay | Aug 27, 2009 5:03:20 PM

20. God loves gays. Mormons do not.

Posted by: Blair | Aug 27, 2009 5:10:22 PM

21. I don't understand Rocky's comment... Who's going under a bus?

Posted by: CLP | Aug 27, 2009 5:21:47 PM

22. There should be zero tolerance for rednecks.

Posted by: dat | Aug 27, 2009 5:24:22 PM

23. Here's where a little Old Testament justice ("eye for an eye") could make a salient point to the Governor Herberts out there...

Some LGBT employer should FIRE a self-declared heterosexual employee in Utah. Seriously. The employee would be told they're being fired not for their race, gender, or religion--but simply because they're straight-identified. Only then will the coin possibly drop inside Herbert's pointed little head: Anti-discrimination laws which include sexual orientation protect ALL citizens.

Posted by: Laurence Ballard | Aug 27, 2009 5:35:56 PM

24. Why are you people acting surprised?

That is a bigger WTF to me than his comments.

I assume he may be a Republican Mormon.

He belongs to a make-believe religion.
    A corporation that teaches it's members they are so special they are going to be GODS when they die. They will have celestial sex and produce MORE GOD CHILDREN.

He and they are made (much like most FUNDAMENTALIST religious types).

Now as for his comments --- this is why we need a federal law protecting gay people from workplace discrimination.... to begin with.

And I really do not think this is religious --- he is a STRAIGHT SUPREMIST.

More for him and his kind by keeping others down.

Posted by: willie | Aug 27, 2009 5:43:45 PM

25. Utah is hate you spelled backwards!

Posted by: David B. 2 | Aug 27, 2009 5:44:53 PM